Chapter 8

Lie For Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I grabbed a clean towel from the steamy bathroom and collapsed on my bed. Hot showers usually helped me gather my thoughts, but today I had a colossal jumble of questions in my head that my burning shower did nothing but, well, burn me. I needed to figure out how to proceed soon, or else I would die from exhaustion and lack of sleep during the past three days. I wrapped my hair with the towel, leaving it to dry and out of my face as I took out a notebook and pen. My mother had developed a habit to write down her problems to sort everything out and have them all laid out in paper, and I decided to give it a try. Although this was a completely new method for me, and my usual go-to method had never once failed me, I was eager to write everything down; I was desperate and I needed my peaceful life back. Scrunching up my nose, I looked with repulsion at the first problem written down on the white sheet.  

Baekhyun

He, my biggest problem at the moment, was the source of both all of my problems at school as well as my sudden case of insomnia (which was, ironically, onset by all of my problems at school). That two-faced jerk turned my life into a living-hell and I needed to figure out how to free myself from him before all my hair turned grey from stress or get killed by his crazy fangirls. I massaged my temples while ruminating hard to concoct ideas. How could I get rid of Baekhyun, the worst living creature I’ve ever met in my lifetime? He always did what he wanted, but people from our school loved him and were convinced he was the most selfless person ever, mostly because they didn’t know of his true nature. I could reveal his other identity, but he would just kill me after that. Besides, as he’s already so kindly informed me, no one would believe me anyways, so it was, in the end, a fruitless plan after all.

I boxed his name with frustration, my hand beginning to cramp from how tightly I was gripping the pen. The fact that the only person in school who knew what Baekhyun was doing after school was me was incredibly irritating. Because I was the only one privy to such information, I couldn’t even ask the people he usually hangs out with in school to tell me his extracurricular activities so that I could really catch him on my camera this time. But, no: all they knew was the flawless prince illusion of the real Baekhyun. I closed my eyes to recall if he was really close to anyone else I could pester for more information about, and the mysterious guy’s face popped in my head, resulting in a smile immediately.

Well, well, well…looked like I actually knew someone who may have some useful information.

As I remembered, the guy said that Baekhyun doesn’t like…no, that he hates woman. He also said something strange which kept pestering my thoughts. How did it go? That he created a monster? Yeah, that was it. Regardless of what that meant, I was sure that this guy knew Baekhyun pretty well, and I would be able to use him to help me. The only problem was that I had no idea of his whereabouts, and consequently wouldn’t be able to find him agin. Damn it, I didn’t even know his name because he left as suddenly as he appeared, cutting into my words and not answering any of my question about him…

I buried my face in pillows and released a muffled groan. My last chance to free myself from Baekhyun disappeared along with some guy who gave out lollipops to strangers. Could I be more miserable? My cellphone’s ringtone broke me out of my whining rant. I reached to my nightstand where it was laying and looked unwillingly at caller ID. My eyes widened with surprise.

“Hyemi!” I almost screamed with excitement after seeing that my beloved friend from my previous school was calling me. She was probably the only one girl I was able to open to and be honest with, “How are you?”

“Hi Eun Jin” her cheerful voice immediately lifted my mood. We spent two years together before I moved to my new school in Seoul. After I changed schools we called each other at least once a week and I should admit that it made me extremely happy that we still were close. “How are you, Eun Jin?”

“My life is a living hell!” I cried out into the receiver “Can’t I just go back to Suwon and live with you?”

My complaint received some giggles from my friend “Hey!” she tried to sound like scolding parent, “Stop complaining and cheer up. I have some good news to make you feel better.”

“What news?” I perked up on the bed. The towel I had on head untwisted itself because of my sudden movement, letting my still-wet hair fall on my shoulders. “Are you transferring to my school?” I asked, filled with hope, but Hyemi only giggled again.

“No, stupid” she said playfully and I imagined her sticking her tongue at me and teasing me as she liked to do, “We have our middle school class reunion next Saturday!” she sang with excitement and I could obviously tell how much she was anticipating it. I gulped, not quite mirroring her joy and enthusiasm. To put it simply, I didn’t exactly have the time of my life during middle school. All of the girls from my class, Hyemi aside, made fun of me, simply because of my lack of interest in boys and everything that was related to them. Because of those girls, I was desperate to hide my single status and lie. “You’re going, right?” Hyemi’s voice jolted me out of my reminiscence. “The girls have booked a nice restaurant in Seoul just to make it easier for you, so you have to go!”

As much as I wanted to see Hyemi again, being in the same building with those other witches was the last thing I could voluntarily put myself into. Even depilating legs with hot wax excited and appealed to me more than surrounding myself with them again. “I don’t really know if it’s good idea…” I muttered while ruffling my wet hair to dry it faster, “they’ll probably just make fun of me like they always do.”

“Oh come on, Eun Jin,” I picked up a soft groan from the mattress as a result of Hyemi shifting her position. “I won’t go without you! Besides, they’ve matured, so no one will laugh at you just because you’re not interested in girly stuff and don’t have a boyfriend” I couldn’t help but to roll my eyes. The last thing I could believe was the fact that those girls changed. “By the way…” Hyemi cleared , “any progress finding a boyfriend?”

I instantly let out a dark scowl as that haunting word was mentioned; I was pretty confident the term “boyfriend” would soon be my least favorite word, second only to Baekhyun. But, Hyemi being my best (not to mention, only) friend and all, I wasn’t unwilling to tell her everything that’d happened to me. I recounted my big lie, and although she began scolding me for two hours and counting, she, as expected, began consoling me and making me feel better about my poor choices.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter