Chapter 30

Lie For Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“How are you feeling?”

“Good,” I said airily, putting my hands around Chanyeol’s neck and looking at him with small teasing grin. The photographer – a bit short but adorably round old grandpa that my father hired just for this small wedding session due to his phenomenal reputation –  yelled bossily at Chanyeol across the white room we were in and told him to hold me like a real man which caused the poor guy to turn redder than the carpet under our feet.  

Despite feeling flustered, he wrapped arms around my waist and pulled me closer to himself, coughing nervously when my chin landed on his chest. “Isn’t it awkward?”

“What?” I asked, hiding my face in Chanyeol’s white, button down shirt in attempt to hide my growing smile which could look silly – or more likely insane – in the next picture. “Squeezing me like a professional wrestler or being a part of that old guy’s fantasy?”

“Shut up,” he scolded me with his low but still cheerful voice, “I’m holding you normally.”

“How can you talk like this to your wife?” I laughed, punching his chest lightly. “Besides, nothing you do is normal, giant.” I whipped my head up to see his face and he looked down at me, as if knowing exactly what I was referring to.

For a second, I stared at him, fascinated by the amount of understanding I found in his eyes and old memories crashed onto me. I wonder if Chanyeol would ever know how grateful I was to find him in my life and how much happiness he gave me.

I heard a sound coming from the back of his throat, resembling a muffled laugh that was supposed to change the atmosphere between us, “I meant all this people watching us instead of seating and eating your father’s food. Isn’t it creepy?”  

I couldn’t help but look around us. Chanyeol was right, at least one hundred pairs of eyes were fixed on us and our energetic but now a little frustrated photographer. I cleared my throat, feeling embarrassed all of sudden. “I don’t know half of the people my father invited here.“

“But you obviously know that one guy in the corner who’s now boring a hole in your dress. Or chest.”

I squinted my eyes, studying the crowd and ignoring Chanyeol’s last remark. “Who?”

Before Chanyeol had a chance to open his mouth and rescue me from my ignorance, I spotted someone near the table with bottles of wine and some cold side dishes served on light pink tablecloth. He was trying a small sandwich with salmon and blue cheese that some hostess handed him with a smile on her face and when a grimace twisted his perfect features – blue cheese always tasted like a pair of old, smelly shoes – I giggled knowing he wouldn’t even touch it in the first place if someone told him what he just ate.

“Go and rescue him before someone will force him to try snails.”

“Really?” I squatted down to grab the bottom of my long dress with both hands to prevent me from falling down while walking. “Are you sure I can leave you with our unduly excited photographer?”

Chanyeol didn’t answer and just raised one of his brows in a supercilious manner, letting me draw my own conclusions. Feeling my lips twitching in a quick grin, I stood up and before he could change his mind, I ran in my friend’s direction ignoring old grandpa’s protests – Chanyeol said he could handle him alone, right?

As I kept passing people with elegant suits and tables full of food and alcohol, my heart sped up and the excitement raising inside me sent a combination of shivers and chills down my spine. Quickly, I tried to remember when was the last time I saw Kai since he moved to Jeju Island. He started working there at least 3 years ago after being persuaded by Baekhyun to join him and to be honest, I missed him terribly.

Although he visited me one week ago, I was happy as if we didn’t have a chance to meet for decade. But when he finally saw me walking in his direction with a wide smile plastered on my face, and when I was about to embrace him with pure joy and happiness tickling my insides, he held his hand in the air like a policeman stopping a car, forcing me to stop on my track, “Don’t come closer.”

“What?” I asked dumbfounded, trying to see him despite having his left hand in front of my face.

“I’m sick,” Kai brought the other hand to his mouth and covered it. As a confirmation of his words, he sneezed suddenly, turning his face to the side to protect me from getting any contact with his germs. “You see? I don’t want you to catch something. Your husband would kill me if you’d get a flu, especially now when you’re pregnant.”

My eyes widened as I realized what he just said, “Who told you that?!”

“Who could it be if not Hyemi? It was the first thing I heard after coming here.” Kai smiled, sniffing a little and just then I saw how the tip of his nose was brushed with red color. Although he was indeed sick, his eyes were gleaming with happiness as he looked at my covered belly. “Congratulations.”

I giggled like a teenage girl, “Thanks.”

We exchanged another smiles and Kai took his time to look around. He spotted Chanyeol – which wasn’t difficult as the guy kept being in the center of attention – and waved his hand quickly in the air to greet him before focusing his eyes back on me. “Where’s Baekhyun?”

“I thought he’s coming with you,” I furrowed my brows with confusion. “Weren’t you two taking the same flight?”

Kai shook his head, “No, that bustard took the one in the morning leaving me alone with tons of papers to sign. He said he had to see Sora first.”

It took herculean effort not to burst out laughing after seeing Kai’s face – a mixture of annoyance and hurt messing around with his features. Actually, there was also a bit of understanding for Baekhyun’s actions in the mix but it didn’t change his frustrated look. Poor guy had to fight with his company’s bureaucracy alone despite being sick. 

I patted Kai friendly on his back, “You know this two can’t live without each other.”

“Oh yes,” he drawled, snorting at the end at the memory crossing his mind, “this guy can’t stop talking about her and has her picture everywhere. I’m scared she will pop out of my fridge one day.”

I laughed loudly and so not lady-like, making a few people standing near us to look at me, “Well, just tell him to shut up.”

“I’m holding back for your sake,” he leaned a bit closer to whisper it in my ear like it was some kind of secret and no one was allowed to hear it except me, “besides, he’s my boss. I don’t want to mess around with someone who signs my cheques.”

“A few years ago you would,” I stated matter-of-factly because we both knew how Kai didn’t bother to say what was in his mind. He was the only one painfully honest with everyone while the rest of us kept stumbling over our own lies.

Kai glanced at me and leaned against the wall behind us, shoving his hands into pockets. He looked straight ahead with empty eyes, like nothing could grab his attention, but somehow I knew he was observing Chanyeol. “Weren’t you the one telling me to change?”

I knew he meant that one particular day and everything that happened back then in my house. It was 7 years ago, exactly on my birthday. Exactly three days after Baekhyun’s father passed away due to another heart attack. This was the day we all were forced to finally grow up and change, to say what was in our minds and face the truth. This was the day that formed the present ‘us’.

Although we were 7 years older now, I still remembered every single word that was told that day, as if it happened just yesterday.

We were sitting in the kitchen with Hyemi, Kai and Chanyeol, drinking my birthday champagne while my parents were upstairs, preparing themselves to go to sleep. Baekhyun was already sleeping in my own room, too tired to even stand on his own and refuse when my mother had told him to take my bed.

Even though Chanyeol didn’t know any of my friends, he was able to see the mistakes we made and point it out, showing us what we did wrong in such an obvious way. Back then, Kai was still putting someone’s happiness before his own, dragging Hyemi along with him and filling her mind with principles he thought were right. That day Chanyeol taught him how we could hurt someone without noticing it by pushing them into happiness they didn’t want to or weren’t ready to have.

“I’m sorry but I still can’t understand why are you so stubborn, Eun Jin.” Kai growled leaning against his chair and ruffling his hair with frustration and perplexity. “Can’t you see how miserable that guy is? His father died three days ago, leaving him alone. Without thinking, he just ran to you—“

“Kai, please.” I blinked lazily, having my eyes fixed on half empty glass in front of me. I already felt horrible after seeing Baekhyun and knowing what have happened to him while we weren’t able to meet. Kai’s persistence to change my mind was pushing me on emotional edge.

“Why are you so stubborn? He came here to apologize.” Hyemi detected. “It’s obvious that he wants to be with you—“

“You guys want him to be with her,” Chanyeol, who was sitting silently the whole time, finally spoke, making everyone look at him. He was sitting with his hands crossed, ready to confront anyone who would like to disagree, although his voice was terrifyingly even. His gaze landed on Kai, who wasn’t happy to hear him speaking, and he continued calmly. “The poor guy doesn’t even know what he wants. He just does what you tell him to do.”

“Shut up,” Kai roared with disagreement, squinting his eyes at Chanyeol. “You don’t know a thing.”

“You have a point here,” he agreed, still looking unmoved by Kai’s harsh words. “I don’t know him, I even barely know Eun Jin but even a blind person would see how you two blame her for everything that’s going on right now.”

Hyemi scoffed angrily, “No one is blaming Eun Jin.”

“You said she’s stubborn,” Chanyeol pointed out, making my friend open in protest but still be quiet because she indeed said that a few minutes ago. Kai and I fidgeted nervously on our seats, not liking where the whole conversation was going to. As the silence filled my kitchen, Chanyeol laughed bitterly, shaking his head. “Can you hear yourself? As I said, I don’t know what happened but from what I heard and saw today, this two have horrible communication skills. The guy doesn’t listen and Eun Jin can’t even say what’s on her mind because her friends – I suppose you two call yourself her friends, right? – are doubting her every decision, knowing better what’s good for her.”

I was sure everyone of us was holding breath, too afraid to even move now. Chanyeol’s words hit the right spot but Kai and Hyemi were still too stubborn to understand them and admit he was right. As for me, I felt like someone spoke what was hidden at the back of my head for a long time. I pitied Baekhyun as much as Kai and Hyemi did. And I knew he was having a hard time but I also felt like no one was considering my own feelings. I found myself in a situation where in everyone’s eyes I was the bad one just because I was looking for my own happiness.

Everyone around kept scolding me for wanting something different but Chanyeol understood me. He knew that, even if you wanted your friends to be happy, you shouldn’t impose your opinion on them.

Even if you are damn right their choice is bad, you have to let them experience the consequences of their own decisions, being near and ready to help them standing up on their feet again. You have to tell them your point of view but respect their choice, let them learn and grow up on their own. If you cross the red light they for you, you can unconsciously kill the small chance going in their direction because maybe, just maybe, it’s you who’s been wrong from the start.

It was time for us to understand it.

“Just put yourself in her position.” Chanyeol continued with a tired sigh. “Would you like to be with someone who doesn’t listen? Would you feel secure and safe with someone who runs away whenever things get difficult? Who knows if Baekhyun, or whatever his name is, would come here If you didn’t push him because let’s be honest, the guy looks like he doesn’t know what’s good or bad for him. He only sees what you tell him to look at.”

Kai snorted, turning his head to the side as if looking at Chanyeol could make him even angrier, “I’m his friend. I’m just helping him to find what he lost—”

“Why are you helping him to have an easy end with the girl he wants?” Chanyeol interjected, sending Kai another look when the older guy grabbed the glass with champagne and drank it up in a second, still with fury flaming in his eyes. “If Baekhyun really loves Eun Jin, instead of forcing her to change her mind, let him fight for her and show how important she is in his life. Just leave this two alone, they are smart enough to know what’s best for them.”

“But Eun Jin—“

“What about Eun Jin?” He asked Kai, cutting him off and tilting his head a little to observe his reaction. “You push her into the arms of a guy who act like a total .”

“Baekhyun is a good guy.” Kai glared at him, ready to protect his friend’s reputation. His voice was terrifyingly low and I was sure he could lose his patience anytime soon. It was a miracle this two still sat patiently instead of literally jumping on each other with clenched fists.

“Sure, maybe he’s even the best guy in the world,” Chanyeol leaned forward, placing his elbows on the table, not willing to lose the staring contest. “But he didn’t do anything to prove it since Eun Jin still has doubts.” 

“Eun Jin lied to him as well,” Kai retorted and I on my breath, feeling like someone just punched me in the stomach. There it was, Kai’s hidden grudge against me. I glanced at him but Kai kept his eyes fixed on his current opponent.

“That’s why they are both to blame,” Chanyeol pointed out, standing up from his seat with tired sigh. For a second he looked like the whole conversation bored him too much to drag it any longer. He straightened his back and lazily moved his eyes from Kai to the door, shoving his hands into pockets and probably wishing to get out of here as fast as possible. “The current situation those two are in right now is obviously their fault,” he continued. “Eun Jin and Baekhyun made the mess so let them clean it up. They’re grownups and don’t need nanny like you. Your meddling only makes it worse.”

* * * * *

“Do you have any plans for New Year’s Eve?” Hyemi plopped herself down in the seat next to me, forcing me to stop going through pictures of me and Chanyeol on the camera I borrowed from old grandpa without asking. My face was going to be seen by millions of people and the last thing I wanted was some dorky picture of me hanging somewhere in the city in a size of a small house.

“Not sure yet,” I muttered, deleting one photo with my eyes closed. If my father didn’t whine about money all the time, I wouldn’t agree to be a model in new marketing campaign for his restaurant. And to think I even dragged Chanyeol into it…

I groaned with frustration when another bad picture of me popped out. “God, why am I so ugly?!”

“Well, not everyone makes a beautiful bride.”

“Shut up.” I hit my friend lightly but it didn’t stop her from laughing.

“I’m just jealous,” she finally muttered after calming down a little, snatching the camera away from me. “You got to wear wedding dress twice while I’m still not even engaged.”

“You better enjoy your freedom till you can.” I stuck my tongu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter