Chapter 26

Lie For Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Ouch!” Baekhyun pulled back with a hiss, letting go of my hand he was holding, and I almost groaned with disappointment when the warmth of his lips dissolved. At first, the lack of his touch made me feel unsatisfied enough to ignore the fact that something was wrong. But when I opened my eyes after hearing his quiet whine and saw Baekhyun’s expression – a mixture of concern, surprise and aggravation – my brain woke up to live and started analyzing the last few minutes, trying to grasp the meaning of Baekhyun’s furrowed brows and sudden lack of fresh air in my lungs.

I inhaled deeply, surprised how I managed not to breathe for such a long time, and my chest once again touched Baekhyun’s. I froze because of the short contact but Baekhyun seemed oblivious to my presence now. As I blinked a few times, obviously confused what was going on, he switched attention to his right hand and shook it in the air, as if something invisible stuck to it.

I opened my mouth to say something but then Baekhyun finally spoke with surprisingly playful tone, leaving me even more bewildered, “I didn’t know you were so strong.”

“What?” My voice cracked at the end and I wasn’t sure if I was able to utter something more than this short question. Baekhyun stopped examining his hand and his gaze landed on me again. He studied me carefully for a moment, trying to read my mind and I flinched unconsciously under his stare. It made me uncomfortable, as if I was lying in front of him. Unconsciously, his lips grabbed my attention when I tried to look everywhere to avoid his stare. They were slightly swollen, probably because of the kiss. His hair was sticking in every possible direction and for a mere second I wondered if I looked the same as he.

“You almost crushed my hand,” he repeated with stoic tone. Still hovering above me, Baekhyun shook it in the air again, as if it could help him to get rid of the pain. “Are you okay? Is it the revenge you were talking about earlier?”

My mind kept struggling while processing the amount of information bombarding me from every side. This time it was my turn to glance at Baekhyun’s hand. I gulped, feeling partly guilty and partly amused after seeing his fingers colored in bright red around nails, like his blood finally reached those spots. Was it really my fault when I barely even remembered he was holding my hand in the first place?

“I-I’m sorry,” I stuttered when my voice betrayed me, “It’s because—I’m just—I…”

I paused to think everything over. What was I? Clearly nervous around him, excited and incredibly happy to be with him, stunned that Baekhyun really wanted me. I could say this, I had so many positive words in my mind to express how I felt around Baekhyun, but my lips were tightly pressed together and a big lump in my throat didn’t let me speak. I looked him in the eyes, hoping he would get the massage despite my silence but when our gazes locked, I knew Baekhyun saw something I desperately tried to hide.

He stopped shaking his hand playfully and placed it near my head. His expression changed immediately from happiness to concern and I already felt bad for not being able to hide my true emotions. He squinted his eyes interrogatively, “You’re scared?”

His voice was hoarse and dangerously low. It sounded more like a statement than a question. I knew straight away he didn’t mean the darkness wrapping up everything around us or the possible consequences of leaving our rooms despite Mrs. Kim’s orders. He meant us, our unknown future together, obstacles we were going to face. And of course I was. I was damn terrified. Everytime I tried to get close to Baekhyun, he started running away, as if I was going to hurt him. I couldn’t even count now how many times he bailed out without a word of explanation when I was this close to reach him. It was damn hard to finally make him open up to me, make him trust me with everything he had.

But I wasn’t scared because he could run away again. I was appalled because this time it was my turn to run. This time he was the one who had to catch me, who had to make everything fall into right place. And deep inside I knew that, no matter how many times I ran after Baekhyun, it didn’t mean he would run after me. I’ve been fighting for him but he wasn’t obligate to fight for me as well. And that one thought, this possibility that he simply wouldn’t care, made me dismayed the most.

I gulped loudly, trying to stay composed. Baekhyun was observing me in silence, probably trying to figure out what was going on in my mind. His messy hair fell on his forehead, covering his eyebrows slightly furrowed in concentration. I knew he wanted to say something but instead, Baekhyun lifted his head, like he could hear something I couldn’t, and then looked back at me, as if I knew the answer he was looking for. After a second of silence between us, he looked to the side, listening intently again to something I couldn’t single out from the noise of windy whistles mixed with a chirp melody coming from grasshoppers hidden in the grass. 

I fidgeted under Baekhyun’s body, trying to ignore how awkward picture we presented, and turning my head to the left as well, I made another attempt to hear something Baekhyun was already listening to. And then, as if some invisible hands finally stopped covering my ears, I heard a quiet throb of a machine and second later, as someone turned off the engine, happy yells and cheers filled the air, making my throat dry in an instant.

I finally understood what was going on.

“, they’re already here,” I said with panic, not realizing that I just cursed. My heart started hammering widely against my ribcage at the thought of our math teacher knocking to my own room. I didn’t even want to know what she was going to do after finding out I ignored her commands.

With dismay written all over my face and eyes open widely in shock, I turned my head to face Baekhyun, hoping he would find a solution before Mrs. Kim would kill us with her bare hands. He was already standing in front of me, offering his hand to help me stand up as well.

“Come with me,” he said pulling me up and dragging me with him immediately, not willing to waste more time. I felt him squeezing my hand and when I looked at him to see what happened, he sent me a short smile saying that I shouldn’t worry. I didn’t say anything – there wasn’t time for it – but I felt glad he tried making me less nervous. Baekhyun seemed composed and somehow his calmness affected me as well. I relaxed a little, although my body was still stiff and my heart kept beating fast in my chest, making it hard for me to catch a deep breath.

I didn’t know where he was taking me but when we stopped running and I saw an open window of one of the rooms on the ground floor, I started having a gut wrenching feeling in my stomach again. That didn’t look good.

Baekhyun squatted down, opened the window wider and looked up at me, pointing inside “I’ll come first to help you come down.”

“What?!” I said a little too loud and he immediately placed his finger on lips, showing me to stay quiet. I bit my bottom lip, starting feeling nervous again. I didn’t know where we were supposed to go but the room was dark and maybe someone was sleeping inside. I didn’t want to get into more trouble after breaking into someone’s apartment. If Mrs. Kim wouldn’t kill me for entering someone’s room, my parents definitely would do it later. I looked back to see if the main entrance was empty and we could use it. “Baekhyun, maybe we can go—“

“Don’t worry,” he put his legs inside, sitting already on the windowsill, “It’s my room. I used this way to come to this garden.”

Before I had a chance to ask more, he jumped down, disappearing completely in the darkness. I squatted down as he did before and carefully leaned forward, looking for him. Second later, lights in his room lighted up and I saw Baekhyun standing near the window.

“Come on,” he reached for me, “give me your hand, I’ll help you.”

I looked down at the floor. The distance wasn’t really big, maybe a little more than half a meter, but I felt safer holding his hand so I did what he asked me for. As Baekhyun before, I sat on the windowsill and second later jumped down. But the moment I landed on a brown carpet in his room, a loud and urgent knocking, followed by Mrs. Kim’s voice, broke the silence.

“Baekhyun? I hope you’re in the room, open please!”

Crap, could it get any worse? I closed my eyes with resignation, feeling the whole energy leaving my body. We were going to get caught. Even if she wouldn’t notice me here, in Baekhyun’s room, I wasn’t able to be on time in my own, which was on the first floor.

I pinched the bridge of my nose, being close to crying and then Baekhyun pushed me to the bathroom without a single warning, almost knocking me down in the process.

“What the—“ I tried to turn around and look at him to find out what the hell he was doing, but he cut me off immediately.

“Take off your cloths and grab my towel to—“

“Whoa, whoa!” I stopped abruptly, placing my hands on his chest to prevent him from pushing me inside his bathroom. The pink blush made its way up, covering my entire face. “What was that supposed to mean? I’m not going to take off my clothes, Baekhyun!”

I made an attempt to pass him, looking offended at his sudden proposition, but he grabbed my arm to stop me. Baekhyun ran his hand through hair and exhaled loudly with irritation, pinning me softly with other hand to the bathroom’s door. “Can you trust me a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter