Chapter 24

Lie For Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“You’re irresponsible and immature!”

The loud scream echoed in the changing room, making me jump a little on my seat. Two bottles with water, placed on the bench near my leg, knocked slightly against each other and I grabbed them to prevent from falling with a loud thud. Our math teacher sent me one quick, irritated glance and came back to nervously pacing around with hands tied behind her back. She was eyeing me and Baekhyun from time to time, sending us unpleased and disappointed looks. I saw her using this typical parental technique – that made you feel guilty and so, so small, even though you didn’t do anything bad – a few times before during my classes with her. And I always found it ridiculous to treat us like her own kids.

But it worked. Everytime. In an instant I felt like a juvenile arsonist who just burned half of the city down.

I was sure the whole hotel was able to hear her sudden outburst but I wasn’t going to point that out – not when Mrs. Kim’s eyes were flaming with desire to kill someone. After being saved from drowning in the pool just a few minutes earlier, I wasn’t going to let myself being killed by insane and furious woman in her fifties. But instead of nodding in agreement at her wise remark about teenagers these days, I fixed my eyes on the grey floor, trying to cover my entire body with the towel she threw on my head a moment ago. I wanted to look to the side and see Baekhyun’s reaction but I was too scared and embarrassed to do so.

Even though I couldn’t see his face, I was more than sure he was furious. Who wouldn’t be after being accused of something he didn’t do?

“You two.” I lifted my head, hearing Mrs. Kim’s voice again. She was standing in front of us with hands placed on her hips now, glaring at us. No, glaring at me. The flame in her eyes was still there and I gulped nervously. A heavy, dramatic sigh escaped her lips as she lifted one of her hands to rub her temple. “Do you think pushing people into the water is funny? I thought you’re old enough to figure out how dangerous games like this are! Do you even know what could have happened?!”

Once again I chose to stay silent. Even though the lecture was for both of us, I knew she was referring to me. Although I tried to explain everything at the beginning, Mrs. Kim was already convinced that it was me who decided to have some fun at the swimming pool. According to her, I started the throwing-others-into-the-water game and after my small jostling with Baekhyun, I pushed him into the pool – which was half true because I grabbed his hand before I fell into the water. Still, her accusations were ridiculous but I couldn’t dissuade her from treating us like the most dangerous teenagers in our school’s history.

“Mrs. Kim, it’s not—“

“Stay quiet, Baekhyun!” She yelled and I jumped once again, not expecting to hear her raised voice. Two bottles on my left reeled dangerously one more time, almost collapsing on the floor and I extended my hands to grab them as before. I lifted my eyes to see Mrs. Kim reaction when a complete silence filled the room. She was far from being pleased and I smiled weakly, muttering a quiet ‘I’m sorry’ and placing the bottles on the floor – I wasn’t going to try her patience for the third time.

“Anyway,” she continued, switching her attention to Baekhyun, “You disappointed me, young man. What came into you? I could have expected Eun Jin to behave like this but you… you were always the responsible one, the pride of our school.”

I swallowed the insults and accusations she threw at me without any warning and clasped my hands together, placing them on my laps. Mrs. Kim didn’t like me from the beginning and my problems with math probably strengthened her negative opinion about my person. I really didn’t mind what she was thinking about me but being scolded in front of Baekhyun was just simply humiliating. Being the reason he got scolded as well, was even worse, especially when I knew how much he hated being lectured. I tried to do it twice before and it didn’t end up well.

I stole a quick glance in his direction. Baekhyun was sitting with his eyes fixed on the wall in front of him, his expression hovering between boredom and impatience. Small water drops were still hanging on the ends of wet strands of his brown hair, falling down on his shirt whenever he made a move. He was indeed politely listening to her but only one look was enough to realize how he didn’t bother to take any of Mrs. Kim’s words into serious consideration. He also didn’t try to argue, knowing that it was pointless when our math teacher was in a fit of raving madness.

So instead of talking back, instead of speaking up his mind, Baekhyun just bowed and said, “I’m sorry, Mrs. Kim. It’ll never happen again.”

No matter how oddly it was to hear those words coming out from Baekhyun’s mouth, this was exactly what he had to do and what Mrs. Kim was waiting for from the beginning. The frown on her face disappeared in an instant and she looked at us with satisfaction, crossing her hands over the chest. And in a second, the reason why I didn’t like her at all became quite obvious to me.

“I will remember your words, Baekhyun. Behave well till the rest of the trip. Don’t disappoint your father.” She spoke, breaking the uncomfortable silence and for a short, almost unnoticeable moment, I felt Baekhyun fidgeting in his seat. Trying to stop the panic growing in the pit of my stomach, I looked at him with a concern written all over my face. Mentioning his father was probably the worst thing to do at this moment and I had a bad feeling about it, but when my eyes flew to his face, I saw the same, bored expression he was wearing before. Not even once did he let himself show the true emotions hidden inside of him and somehow, it made me feel even worse.

I tightened the grip on my towel as Mrs. Kim decided to speak again.

“I won’t call your parents.” Her gaze landed on me and I immediately went still. “But as a punishment, you both won’t take part in our trip to the city in the afternoon. You will stay in the hotel instead. I don’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter