Chapter 18

Lie For Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Feeling the blood rush to my face, I my lips that suddenly became incredibly dry along with my throat. For a moment I was more than sure that my shaky legs will give up and I will end up on the cold hospital floor, too weak to stand up by my own. I tightened my fingers on the door knob, trying to calm myself down and leaned against the wall to keep my balance. My heart was beating fast and I was out of breath, as if I just ran for a few kilometers without a single break.

I didn’t know what was going on. I just knew that I had to keep the gossip away from Baekhyun. No matter what, he couldn’t find out about it.

I gulped loudly, trying to pull myself together before he will decide to find me and notice that something was wrong. Setting ajar the door, I peeped carefully through it to see him. He was standing patiently near the vending machine with coffee and tea, probably reading the small list with names of the drinks and its prices written on the front. I couldn’t see his face clearly, just the curve of his cheek and chin, but I knew he was calmly waiting for me to finish my phone call and come back. I, on the other hand, was like a bundle of nerves.

I was scared and the fear of facing Baekhyun after hearing gossips about me and Kai being together was making me sick to my stomach. I felt anger boiling inside of me because that single rumor could ruin everything I managed to build between us. I was hopeless after realizing how quickly I could lose his trust without even fully enjoying his confidence. And on top of that I felt extremely guilty even though I didn’t do anything wrong.

“Jin, are you there?” Ga In’s voice brought me back to reality. I totally forgot that I was still holding my phone in hand near my ear. Closing the door gently, I straightened my back and took one, deep breath to steady my voice and stop my body from shaking.

Dammit, it didn’t help at all.

I took another, deeper one, thinking how to play it out to make Ga In believe me instead of all the people gossiping about me and Kai. Should I laugh it off like it was the funniest thing I heard these days, even if a simple chuckle seemed incredibly unfeasible to me now? Or denying everything and assuring her that I’m the victim of people’s badmouthing was better in this situation?

I gulped one more time, trying to ignore the strange feeling that no matter what I’ll say, she won’t believe me.

“Who told you that?” I finally muttered to the receiver, deciding to ask her about details first. Surprisingly, my voice was firm and I sounded a little too harsh, even in my own ears. Ga In was silent for a good ten seconds, probably taken-aback as well with my unfriendly tone.

“Someone saw you talking with him at school, in the patio.” She spoke hesitantly. “And today Minah saw you two going to the shop. She said you were sitting in his car.”

I cursed in my mind, pinching the bridge of my nose with frustration. Minah always meant big troubles, mostly because she loved gossips more than she loved her shoes collection from famous designers I couldn’t even name. If it was her who saw us, tomorrow everyone at school will know about it.

Everyone. Even Baekhyun.

“Ga In” I almost cried out to the receiver, sitting down on the cold floor. I had to clear the misunderstanding as fast as possible. “You know it’s not true, right? I don’t date him, I can’t date him. I’m Baekhyun’s girlfriend, remember?”

“Right now it looks like you’re two-timing, Jin.”

I froze for a moment hearing her words. I was more than sure that my face now was as pale as the white walls in the corridor. I tightened my grip on the cellphone. “What?”

“Jin, you’re spending time with another guy when your boyfriend is nowhere to be found.” She stated with ridiculously calm voice and I felt my stomach making a little flip. “You know what Minah said? That Baekhyun probably doesn’t show up at school because he found out about you and Kai and now he’s totally crushed.”

Pressing hand to my mouth, I looked around to find any toilet I could use to throw up when I felt sick to my stomach after hearing Ga In’s words but the closest one was on the part of the corridor where I left Baekhyun a few minutes ago. I closed my eyes, trying to focus my thoughts on something relaxing but the only thing I could think of was the reaction of Kai, Baekhyun and the whole school after hearing the rumor. In all our students’ eyes I would be a two-timer when in reality I didn’t even have the real boyfriend. How ironic!

“That’s ridiculous…” I said, shaking slowly my head, even though Ga In couldn’t see me. “That doesn’t make sense.”

“I know and I already tried to knock the whole cheating idea out of Minah’s head, but probably with no effect.” Ga In exhaled loudly. “I don’t really know what’s going on between you and those two guys, but I hope you know what you’re doing. Baekhyun is too good to be treated like this, remember that.”

“I know this more than anyone else.” I half-smiled, feeling a little doze of the worry mixed with concern in her voice. It was the first time she actually tried to console me and although it seemed odd, I was grateful for it. She was on my side. Ga In was watching my back, how incredible is that? I didn’t know what changed her attitude but I liked mindful and caring Ga In more. “And thank you.”

“Instead of thanking me, better prepare yourself for tomorrow.” Her cold tone was back again but I could imagine her smiling. “Tomorrow will be a tough day.”

After quick goodbye I turned off the phone and closing my eyes I leaned my head against the wall. She was right, I will have to face everyone tomorrow and hold my head high despite all the rude comments about me. But as long as Baekhyun won’t misunderstand the whole situation I was good with people pointing at me. He was the only person I cared about.

“Did something bad happen?”

I jolted, startled to suddenly hear someone’s voice. A very familiar one that never failed to make my heart beat faster. Even if Baekhyun was waiting for me to look at him, I couldn’t force myself to open my eyes. I was too afraid to look him in the eyes after all the revelations I heard few seconds ago. But in the same time I didn’t want to make him worry about me when he already had many problems to solve.

Forcing myself to smile, I opened my eyes slowly, just to see him sitting on the floor in front of me, cross-legged, just like I. That reminded me about the situation in his kitchen when he found me hiding under his table. But today something was different – Baekhyun was observing me with soft expression on his face. His head was slightly tilted to the side as he was looking at me with concern and curiosity, squinting his eyes just a little from time to time, as if he wanted to read my mind. I knew he wasn’t standing far away from me when I heard his voice, but I wasn’t prepared to see him this close. Our legs were almost touching and although his face was still far from mine, I could feel his warm breath caressing the skin on my cheeks. Or maybe that was the air from the conditioner in the hospital and I was just imagining things.

“Are you okay? You’re really pale.” Baekhyun asked once again when I didn’t say anything, too busy examining his face. Words just got stuck in my throat and I couldn’t utter a single word so I just nodded quickly, still trying to keep my smiling face. I didn’t even know what to say when the only thing I could think of was the rumor about me dating Kai.

Baekhyun squinted his eyes again and then did something I would have never expect him to do. He leaned closer to me to place his hand on my forehead. I felt his perfumes when he moved. God, I couldn’t even explain how much I loved this smell but knowing that he wanted to touch me, I unconsciously leaned back until my spine and the back of my head was pressed against the wall. I don’t know why but I was afraid that his touch will turn off the red light I still had in my head and after that I won’t be able to control my feelings anymore.

But Baekhyun noticed my move and he grinned – not ironically or fake like always. It was a true, warm smile that caused my heart to stop beating for a good few seconds.

“Can I?” He asked for permission with a low voice, moving his hand back and waiting for my answer. He didn’t avert his eyes even for a second and soon I felt my cheeks getting annoyingly hot because of his intense gaze. There was also something alarming happening inside my stomach that already was prickly and tense. I felt like someone was squeezing my insides – it was terrifying but incredibly pleasant in the same time.  I was afraid that he will find out what was going on with me with just one touch but my head moved up and down, giving him one nod signalizing yes.

It felt like my body was craving for his touch and I couldn’t do anything about it. Or more like I didn’t want to do anything.

When his fingers touched my forehead before gently brushing aside my bangs, I shivered unconsciously feeling electricity going through my whole body. Baekhyun’s hands were cold but I didn’t mind. The second I felt his touch, my heart almost burst out of my chest. Trying to control my body from shaking, I focused on his hand he put on his own forehead to check our temperatures. That small gesture last for less than one minute but that was enough for me to lost my mind completely.

“I think you don’t have a fever.” He stated casually when I was feeling like an emotional mess. I howled quietly with disappointment when he moved his hand away. “Are you not feeling well?”

Yes. And it’s all your fault, idiot.

“I’m okay.” Standing up from the floor, I shook off the dirt from my trousers, trying my best to pull myself together and avoid Baekhyun’s eyes. I was too ashamed to look at him after feeling the mix of excitement and something people probably called desire. Maybe I was inexperienced in love

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter