Chapter 17

Lie For Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Isn’t it our lovely Eun Jin?” I flinched hearing Jihyun voice – unfriendly and not suiting the words she just said. Making few steps closer to me and Kai, she crossed her arms and sent me another cocky smile. My throat felt really tight when she stood in front of us, glaring at me like I did something wrong to her in the past. I couldn’t understand why she was feeling so much hate towards my person when we didn’t even know each other. It was true that I also didn’t really like her a lot but at least I wasn’t trying to kill her just by looking at her. She raised her eyebrow. “You came to see Baekhyun? He’s really tired now so maybe it’s better if you’ll come back tomorrow.”

I gritted my teeth, trying to ignore her nonchalant tone along with deadly glare and took one, deep breath to relax myself. There was at least ten questions I had in my mind but I chose the one that bothered me the most. “What are you doing here?”

“Why so angry?” She let out a small chuckle. “Are you afraid Baekhyun will change his mind and dump you after one meeting with me?”

“Jihyun.” I heard Kai’s firm, warning tone and second later felt his grip on my hand. For a moment I forgot he also was there. I switched my attention from Jihyun to him and our eyes met. He seemed concerned about me, which made me somehow close to cry like a kid. He knew what’s going on between Baekhyun and Jihyun and the way he looked after me seemed like he felt pity towards me because I was probably the third wheel there. Considering how tight his grip on my hand  was, he also surely wanted to drag me away from here as soon as possible. I squeezed his hand, sending him small but a little forced smile to assure him I was okay.

“I didn’t know you’re so protective, Kai” Jihyun clapped her hands, rising her thumb later with approval. “You look good together. Does Baekhyun know about you two?”

“We’re just friends, Jihyun. Don’t jump to conclusions.” Kai immediately let go of my hand. It could be just my imagination but he even made one step farther from me. That small gesture made me feel confused.

“Really, Kai?” Jihyun crossed her arms and tilted her head with interest. She probably also saw how uneasy he felt after her small speech. “Sorry but I’m really protective when it comes to Baekhyun and you should know the best why. Remember the saying ‘like father, like son’? I wonder if it suits in your situation as well.”

I didn’t understand a single word she said but Kai looked like just standing near Jihyun was making his blood boil. His furrowed eyebrows and a small grimace on his face were revealing his hate towards her person. Kai didn’t even bother to hide his dissatisfaction. His jaw clenched and it was obvious he was trying to calm himself to not to do or say something stupid that could make the whole situation worse.

“Is everything okay?” I touched his arm softly, trying to make him look at me but he refused to give me a single glance and was still staring at Jihyun.

“What’s wrong, Kai?” She snorted loudly, satisfied with his reaction. “Are you upset because someone finally had the guts to say the truth?”

“Shut up.” Kai snapped back. His aggressive voice made me shudder a little in fear. I didn’t expect reaction like this from always nice and smiling Kai. What was he hiding from me to act like this? What Jihyun knew about him to make Kai so angry?

“Kai, what’s going on?” I asked but he just grabbed my hand and tried to drag me with him. He looked at me surprised when I didn’t move at all, definitely not expecting my resistance.

“What are you doing? We have to go, remember?”

I wasn’t sure why I refused to go when it was best to stay away from Jihyun, especially when Kai was close to lose his patience. I didn’t understand their small conversation either. I just knew I had to confront Jihyun now. I had to find out what relationship she had with Baekhyun to know what to do with my own feelings. It would be better to know those two are dating before it’ll be too late for me to change my mind, right?

I made one step closer to her but Kai stood between me and Jihyun and looked me straight in the eyes, almost begging me to come with him. “It’s time to go, Eun Jin.”

“I need to talk with her.”

“No, we have to go.” He repeated. I wanted to protest but this time Kai wasn’t willing to give me another chance to speak. Without much effort he threw me over his shoulders and second later I found myself dangling upside down like a doll.

“What the hell are you doing?!” I yelped, feeling sudden rush of blood to my face. Hanging upside down wasn’t my favourite position and I had to close my eyes for a moment when the world started spinning around. I hit his back. “Put me down, Kai!”

“No.” He stated calmly, walking fast. I hit him harder but he didn’t even seem to feel it.

“Kai, please! I’m going to throw up!”

“I don’t care.”

“Geez, Kai! Put me down for God’s sake!” I yelled and second later I was standing again on my own two feet. Kai exhaled loudly, putting hands on his hips. Some of his hair fell forward and he brushed them from his eyes to look at me. I saw an angry frown on his face.

“You have to listen to me if you don’t want it to happen again. Understood?” He made two steps closer to me and opened the door from the car I didn’t notice before. With a jerk of his head, Kai pointed at his car. “Get in.”

“I’m not going anywhere.” I crossed my arms in protest, being tired of all the orders I had to obey. I felt like the only person who didn’t know what’s going on. Baekhyun was probably having fun with Jihyun who seemed more like his real girlfriend than just an acquaintance. Kai was acting even more ridiculous since yesterday and I couldn’t figure out if he wanted to protect me or just didn’t like me being around Baekhyun. On top of that I had problems with myself and my messed feelings. I didn’t know what to think about the whole situation anymore and no one wanted to clarify it to me.

“Eun Jin, stop being so stubborn.” Kai seemed calmer now but his voice was still firm. “Just get in the car, okay?”

“Then explain me what’s going on!” I said a little louder than I should but the whole situation with Baekhyun, Kai and Jihyun was getting on my nerves. “I’m not sure what you’re trying to do Kai, but it’s definitely not going well. I’m so frustrated because you act like a different person and I don’t know why! Did I do something wrong? Are you that unhappy to see me around Baekhyun? If yes then just tell me and stop acting like an !”

“Okay, okay!” Kai pinched the bridge of his nose, closing eyes for a moment to gather his thoughts. He took another deep breath and looked at me with a slight smile I used to see everytime we met. “I understand why you’re frustrated and I’m sorry for acting weird. I will explain everything to you, okay? Just get in the car so we can find some quiet place to talk.”

“Will you tell me what Jihyun was talking about?” I stated. “What she mean by ‘like father, like son’?”

Kai exhaled loudly with frustration. He bit his bottom lip, probably thinking about the consequences of me knowing the truth and suddenly I felt bad for meddling in his personal life. But the urge to know all the secrets was bigger and I couldn’t resist to keep my questions to myself.

“Kai, please.” I begged. “I have enough of everyone hiding something from me. I just want to know what’s going on around me.”

He looked at me with utterly unreadable expression but second later he sighed with resignation. “Okay then, I will tell you everything you want.”

“No more secrets?” I needed to confirm everything before I’ll go inside his car. Corners of his lips raised a little.

“No more secrets.”

* * * * *

After 10 minutes of silent drive, Kai stopped his car near the convenience store in the area I didn’t know well. I probably was there for the first time because a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter