Chapter 12

Lie For Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

There was an awkward silence and the mood suddenly changed. Not like I was all happy and cheerful with Baekhyun before that mysterious girl appeared, but now you could cut the atmosphere with a knife. I switched my eyes to Baekhyun who seemed slightly irritated. He raised left hand to his forehead and started massaging his temples, looking even more tired now. His bangs covered his eyes so I couldn’t see them.

“So? Who is she?” I turned my head in direction the question came from. The blond-haired girl decided to ask Baekhyun once again after not getting any answer. She was standing near doorframe with her arm crossed and lips pressed in straight line, obviously not happy to see me here. I took the opportunity and looked at her. She was extremely pretty with long curly hair, big brown eyes and milky skin. Purple dress she was wearing, emphasized her incredibly skinny and long legs. I bit my lip, feeling sudden sting of jealousy. How is it even possible to be that perfect when I couldn’t even find one good part in my body that I could be proud of? I knew that look isn’t important but, dammit, even my personality was twisted enough to make people run away from me. All that guys in Heaven probably hated me so much.

Baekhyun’s loud sigh snapped me out of my thoughts about my lack of luck in life. I looked at him and surprisingly, he was watching me too, just like he wanted to confirm something. Not averting his eyes from mine he said calmly “She’s my girlfriend.”  

Of course she was. With that bodies and beautiful faces they were just meant to be together. But why was he telling me this? I was just his fake girlfriend— no, just some random girl he used to play around with. I didn’t need to know about his personal affairs because we were just strangers and I was supposed to stay out of everything that included him and his life. I didn’t need to know that he already had a girlfriend, quite beautiful I should add, because soon we will go back to life we had before everyone in school acknowledged us as a couple. And although I tried my best to ignore all the new information about his relationship, I couldn’t help but feel hurt and hopeless. Baekhyun was toying with me and my feelings. Not only with mine but also with his girlfriend’s feelings. Or maybe she knew all along, having fun as well? The rough reality hit me like a rushing train and I suddenly felt a big urge to dash out of Baekhyun’s house.

But before I could make first move to step out from Baekhyun’s life for good, he grabbed my hand and pulled me closer to him, wrapping his arm around my shoulders “She’s my girlfriend” he repeated. “The one I told you about.”

Oh…

So he didn’t mean the girl standing near the door, with slightly open now, when he said that? I was the girlfriend he was talking about? I suddenly felt dryness in my mouth and my heart made a small leap. That was just too much information to handle at this moment.

“Really, Baekhyun?” The girl tilted her head, her confidence coming back after that little shock Baekhyun’s words gave her. “Didn’t you tell me that you’re not interested in relationships?”

He scoffed silently “Not interested in relationship with you.”

I held my breath hearing the hidden insult and seeing that girl’s face. She wasn’t pleased with Baekhyun’s words but in the same time I couldn’t really tell if she was hurt or just angry. Should I feel bad for her? There was no doubt that she tried her best to make him finally look at her in different light when he was just trying to get rid of her as soon as possible. No one wanted to hear that harsh words, especially from someone you like. And I could easily tell she was head over heels with Baekhyun. I could see it in her eyes, she was definitely trying to choke me in her mind right now.

“So what’s her name?” She fixed her hair, looking at me. I was scared of her, probably more than I was afraid of Baekhyun when we happened to be alone and his eyes were boring a hole in my head. She was incredibly intimidating and I found myself unable to speak in her presence.

“That’s not your business.” Baekhyun finally removed his arm from my shoulders “And I would appreciate it if you could stop coming here. You’re scaring my girlfriend.”

Oh, just great. Now he was blaming me for everything. I had enough enemies at school already, he didn’t have to add another one. Soon I won’t be able to leave my house without being stabbed with a knife or being shot with a gun. I was pretty sure that half of girls from my school already planned my death. In 100 ways probably. Teenagers nowadays were so creative…

“Um… Baekhyun…” I tried to inform him that blaming me wasn’t the best idea and I really wanted to live happily without being blackmailed but he sent me one warning glare and I decided to shut up. Maybe living in a basement for the rest of my life wasn’t that bad after all.

Baekhyun turned to face the blond girl “Jihyun, better go home. I’m really tired today.” His voice was softer now and you could see that he really meant what he said. Maybe that’s why her angry expression changed into hesitation and then understanding. She glanced at me for the last time before leaving and I knew immediately that she wasn’t going to give up so easily. opened but she closed them, like she decided to keep her thoughts for herself. Instead of that she smiled. God, why I had such a bad feeling about it?

“Okay then. Take care, Baekhyun.” Jihyun stood there, waiting to hear his goodbye but he didn’t react at all. She smirked, hiding disappointment and her high heels. Few seconds later we both heard the sound of closing door and I exhaled the air I didn’t even know I held. With just the two of us in the kitchen, the atmosphere became more awkward. I cleared my throat, waiting for Baekhyun to say something, but he didn’t bother to utter a single word.

“So…” I broke the uncomfortable silence, boring my eyes into a floor, stealing some glances at him. Baekhyun closed his eyes for few seconds and opened it again lazily before looking at me.

“Wait a little to make sure Jihyun won’t see you and then go home too.”

“Hey, wait…” I tried to stop him from leaving when he decided to go back to his room. When he turned to me, waiting to hear what I wanted to say, I suddenly realized that I should just stay quiet in the first place. I wanted to ask him about Jihyun and know why he lied about our relationship but I couldn’t just randomly throw questions at him, could I? It was his choice and his life so I would cross the line asking about it. The line between things I should know about Baekhyun and things I should stay away from, to not get hurt in the future.

Baekhyun squinted his eyes a little while observing me, and forgetting about future consequences, I blurted out “Why did you lie to her?”

I started regretting it soon after I said it out loud. Baekhyun was standing few steps away from me with unreadable expression on his face and I didn’t know if that question made him mad or he was just tired of me. He shifted his weight from one leg to another “Why do you want to know?”

That was some good question. Why? I wasn’t sure either. Maybe I just wanted to know how far Baekhyun was able to go with his lies. Or maybe I was expecting something more, something I couldn’t name right now.

“I… I just…” words suddenly got stuck in my throat and I ended up stuttering like some five year old kid. “I just…”

“God, I’m so tired of all those questions today.” Baekhyun pinched the bridge of his nose, closing his eyes. I immediately shut up, hearing his irritated voice. Yeah, being quiet and keeping my mouth shut would be a better choice after all.  

“Geez, I just asked, okay?” I muttered more to myself than him, but Baekhyun definitely heard me because he opened his eyes and looked in my direction. I gathered my courage and turned to him “She was pretty sad to hear it, you know? That probably broke her heart.”

“I don’t care. She knew from the beginning what she was getting herself into.”

“Oh God, you’re such a , you know it?!” I snapped back, finally having enough of his arrogance “She’s a girl, a human that can feel, not some stupid flower you can put in a vase. I don’t know what happened between you two but no one deserves to be treated like this.”

“That’s the problem, Eun Jin” Baekhyun quickly made few steps closer to face me again. He stood few inches away from me with his furrowed eyebrows. “You know nothing about me but you act like you do.”

“I know more than you think, Baekhyun.” I said through clenched teeth, challenging him “I know you lie to everyone. I know you don’t care about others and play with their feelings. I also know that you push people away just to be alone and that annoys the out of me. And that’s enough to see tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter