Chapter 11

Lie For Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I ruffled my hair with frustration, trying to get rid of a particular thoughts occupying my mind. How did I end up here? I tried to answer that question but couldn’t explain myself what I was doing in front of a very familiar club, forcing myself to open the door, go inside and find guy with black hair and some strange addiction to lollipops. I couldn’t sleep last night after the accident with Baekhyun who was taken by ambulance. I didn’t see him at school today and all students were sending me death glares. Some of them asked what happened and how’s Baekhyun now but what could I tell them? That he’s fine and there’s nothing to worry about? I wish I could, but I had no idea how Baekhyun was feeling now. In fact, I got scared after finding out that he didn’t attend his classes today.

Students’ questions, stares and that annoying feel of blame were driving me insane and once again I couldn’t sleep the whole night, thinking about that jerk. And now, because of him, I was standing in front of the club Kai’s working at to ask him what happened to Baekhyun. That was really humiliating and embarrassing because I was supposed to hate my fake boyfriend, not be concerned about his current state of health.

After counting to three I decided to open the door in the back of the club. It was safer to use it, mostly because I still was a minor and that big, bold guy standing in front of the main entrance wouldn’t probably allow me to go inside. I grabbed the door knob but before I could press it, someone opened the door, hitting me straight in the face. I covered my nose, groaning with pain as I fell on the hard asphalt.

“God, I’m so sorry!”

I lifted my head hearing familiar voice, trying to stop tears in my eyes from falling. That sudden meeting with metal door really hurt. When my eyes met Kai’s and he squatted down, I yelled with frustration “You broke my nose, jerk!”

“Let me see it” he pulled away hands from my face to see the damage he made. I sniffed, swallowing all the pain I felt. Kai narrowed his eyes with concentration, tilted his head and bit his bottom lip which I found really distracting at that moment. When his warm fingers touched my nose gently, I unconsciously moved back my head feeling the little stabbing pain in the bridge of my nose.

“Do you even know what you’re doing?”

“Not really.” My eyes immediately widened hearing his words and Kai chuckled lightly seeing my reaction. He helped me to stand up on my feet “But it doesn’t look like it’s broken.”

“Thanks God, House” I said and Kai seemed unmoved by my sarcasm. Instead of that, he crossed his arms and watched me with curiosity, small grin wandering on his lips. I dusted off my pants and sent him an unpleasant look, rising my eyebrow “What?”

“I suppose you came here to see me, so I’m waiting.”

“For what?”

“For your reason.” He cocked his head to the side, thinking hard about something for a second “Are you here because of Baekhyun?”

Crap. Was I that obvious? Somehow being concerned about that idiot made me feel horrible, my pride was being stabbed and hurt. I didn’t like it. And I couldn’t tell what was more frustrating, feeling bad because Baekhyun ended in hospital or because Kai saw through me, needing only few seconds to figure out why I was looking for him. Trying to save what reminded from my smashed self-respect, I cleared my throat, run hand through my hair nonchalantly and put the most uninterested look on my face.

“No” I muttered, controlling my voice to prevent it from shaking. I didn’t want to sound like I cared “But speaking about him, how is he?”

My failed attempt to seem like an uninterested person who just asked about Baekhyun’s health out of good manners made me want to kill myself. Kai blinked rapidly, trying to put all the facts together and then laughed loudly at me.

“Oh God, you’re so funny when you try so hard to look like you don’t care.” He patted my head, forcing himself to hold his laugh when I glared at him.

“I’m not trying” I snapped back, pushing away his hand “I really don’t care about him. Just wanted to know if he’s still alive.”

Kai clicked his tongue, shaking his head in disapproving gesture “Why so cold? Aren’t you his girlfriend?”

I straightened myself and tensed, feeling like the biggest moron on the planet. How could I forget about it? I fixed my eyes on Kai, searching in my head for some good excuse or explanation but unfortunately I couldn’t think about anything good enough to shut up Kai. I cursed in my mind seeing how his lips curled up in small smile again.

“That’s okay.” He shoved his hands into pockets. “I know you were lying, Baekhyun already told me everything. Or more like I forced him to tell me.”

Unable to say single word I just nodded, not sure what to do next. Should I just go back home or ask Kai about his friend? If he knew I was just pretending the whole time to be his girlfriend, it could be strange to show any concern towards Baekhyun. We weren’t a real couple so I should stay away from him and his problems, even if I was the one who caused the whole allergy accident. Thinking hard, I kicked invisible pebble on the pavement and Kai probably saw my confusion.

“He’s okay now.” I almost jumped hearing his voice again. Kai’s face softened when he started speaking about his friend. Or it could be just my imagination after all. I felt relief after hearing his words and couldn’t help but smile a little, knowing that at least he didn’t die because of me and that homeless cat.

“I’m glad.” That was all I could say.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter