Baby Maybe

Pre-chorus

 

“Yerin-ah, stop running around. You might trip and fall. Yoong, stop chasing her!”

 

Yoona caught the little girl and carried her towards the couch, both of them ignoring Jessica who was trying to keep the chaos to a minimum. She tickled Yerin while Jessica sighed and watched the two kids have fun.

 

“Don’t complain if your jaw starts hurting again, Yoong.”

 

“It won’t. I’m fine now.”

 

She sat on the carpeted floor and watched the two as they laugh their heads off. She honestly preferred this more than what was happening earlier. Yerin dropped her pacifier on the floor and Jessica took it away to wash it but that was a big mistake.

 

Yerin started throwing a tantrum, crying and screaming for her “yum yum.” Soon as she gave it back to her, Yerin started scowling at her and from then on, she only played with Yoona.

 

“Is Yerin hungry?” Yoona asked when their tickling was over. The little girl nodded. “Does Yerin want to eat?” Another nod and Yoona thought of a brilliant idea to make Yerin like Jessica.

 

She stared at her girlfriend and grinned. “Do you want to taste Jessica-unnie’s cooking?”

 

Jessica creased her eyebrows and formed an X with her arms.

 

“No, do not want Shica.” Yerin crossed her arms and looked away from the two, chin up and lips forming a pout.

 

“But I heard you really like eating eggs and Jessica-unnie makes the best fried eggs in all of South Korea.”

 

Yerin shook her head. “Sunny-omma make the best eggs. I only eat her fwied eggs.”

 

“But if you eat Jessica-unnie’s fried eggs, you’d…you’d become as tall as Yoona-unnie.”

 

“Jinjja?”

 

“Yes. How’d you think I got this tall?”

 

Yerin looked at Jessica suspiciously and Yoona mouthed for her to just go with it. Jessica smiled hesitantly, thinking of how she could get out of this predicament. She doesn’t even know how to boil an egg properly.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Okay? You’d eat Jessica-unnie’s fried egg?”

 

Yerin nodded once again and the two girls got off the couch and headed to the kitchen with a clueless Jessica in tow.

 

“How about we eat tangerines while we watch Jessica-unnie cook?” When Yerin nodded and smiled, Yoona crouched down and lifted her up, letting her sit down on top of the kitchen counter. She removed any sharp things that the little girl might touch and started peeling the tangerines.

 

“You could start cooking now.”

 

Jessica continued staring at her with her eyes wide open, closing and opening like a fish out of water. It wasn’t helping that Yerin and Yoona were also staring at her.

 

“Eggs. Cook.”

 

“You heard the little lady.”

 

She grabbed a couple of eggs from the fridge and cracked it onto a bowl, occasionally glancing at Yoona to see if she’s doing it correctly.

 

“You’re not even going to ask Yerin if she wants it scrambled or the good old sunny side up?”

 

“Scwambled!” Yerin bellowed, grinning at Yoona who then handed her a piece of tangerine. The little girl put it inside and shouted again. “Scwambled!”

 

“Beat the eggs,” Yoona mouthed as she chewed on her own piece of tangerine. Jessica did as she was told and just winged it from that point.

 

“Yerin-ah, stay here, okay? Don’t move too much or you’ll fall and…we’d get beaten up by your moms if that ever happens. Stay here for a sec, okay? I’ll just check up on Jessica-unnie.”

 

Yerin nodded and happily chewed on the fruit that Yoona peeled for her. The latter sneakily creeped up on her girlfriend who was focused on beating the eggs.

 

“Tell me I didn’t make the wrong decision to let you cook.”

 

Jessica scoffed. “Are you kidding? I have no idea what I’m doing!”

 

“Just continue what you’re doing and when you’re done, season it and fry it up in the pan. It’s easy. Don’t burn it.” Yoona was clearly having fun while she was suffering. She stopped what she was doing for a while when she received a kiss on the cheek and now she was blushing like a teenage girl who just received a kiss from her long-time crush.

 

“Stupid Yoong, stupid Hyo and Sunny,” she muttered as she grabbed the salt shaker.

 

Yoona, on the other hand, returned to where Yerin was. The little girl has finished eating her tangerines and was swinging her legs back and forth.

 

“You like Shica?”

 

“You don’t?”

 

“If you like Shica then I like her, too?”

 

“You should like her, too. There’s no reason for you not to like her, is there?”

 

“She take away my yum yum.”

 

“She just took it away to clean it because it fell on the floor.”

 

“Hmpf!”

 

“I would really like it if you get along with her, too.”

 

“Do I have to like her all the time?”

 

“It would be nice if you do that.”

 

Yerin thought about it and looked back and forth to the girl in front of her and the other who’s struggling to fry eggs.

 

“If Yoong says I have to like her, then I’ll…try…weally, weally hard to like her.”

 

Yoona chuckled and ruffled the kid’s hair.

 

After a few more minutes, Jessica has finally finished making the scrambled egg. She put it on a plate but had no idea to make it at least look a little bit appetizing. It seemed like a pig’s brain got splattered on a plate. She looked at the girls and both of them were frowning as they stared at the dish.

 

“I’m sure that’s edible despite of it…looking like that.” She pouted when she heard Yoona’s words.

 

She took a fork and scooped up a bit, blowing on it to make sure it isn’t too hot and offered it to Yerin. “Yerin, say ahh.”

 

Yerin looked at Yoona first, seeking for confirmation if she really should put it in . When Yoona nodded, she finally opened and let Jessica feed her.

 

“How is it?” To be honest, Jessica really wasn’t expecting her to say that it tastes better than what her mom makes her. She’s not even expecting Yerin to say it tastes good. She didn’t have to taste it herself to know that it does not taste like a scrambled egg was supposed to taste like.

 

Yerin, once again, looked towards Yoona’s direction as if asking her, “Do you really like this person who can’t cook to save herself?”

 

Yoona was also looking at her expectantly. She didn’t want to lie. Sunny-omma and Hyoyeon-omma told her that lying was bad but she also promised Yoona that she was going to try her best to get along with Jessica.

 

She looked up and then looked right back at Yoona who was still staring at her. She thought it was unfair to be put into this situation. Why were they giving her such a hard time at such a young age?

 

She then raised her shoulder and rubbed her small fists together. With a small voice and with loads of aegyo added to it, she finally said, “It tastes pwetty bad.”

 

Jessica ended up kneeling on the floor from laughing too much and the same goes with Yoona. Seeing as how their response was pretty good, the little girl kept repeating it while the two adults gushed at how cute she was.

 

The oldest one completely ignored the fact that the kid just dissed the eggs she cooked.

 

“Your Sunny-omma taught you how to use aegyo at such an early age, I see.”

 

“You are so cute!” Yoona exclaimed, pinching Yerin’s cheeks. “I’ll cook us food and you go ahead and play with Jessica-unnie, okay?”

 

“Play with Shica?”

 

”Yes, Yerin-ah should play with Jessica-unnie while Yoona-unnie cooks. Okay?”

 

“She won’t take away my yum yum?”

 

Yoona stared at the pacifier that was still in the little girl’s grasp. “She won’t.”

 

“You two should go to the living room. I’ll clean up here and cook our lunch.” She put down Yerin and patted her head.

 

Jessica nodded as she followed Yerin who was tottering towards the living room.

 

The little kid was having a hard time getting up on the couch and Jessica wasn’t sure if she should help her or not. In the end, she decided to do it in hopes of getting on Yerin’s good side.

 

She sat beside her but still kept a considerable distance from her best friend’s child.

 

“Do you want to watch cartoon?”

 

“Hmm.”

 

A hum. That was a vast improvement in Jessica’s book. She stood up and picked up the remote control to switch the TV on.

 

“Which cartoons do you like watching?”

 

“Ponyo.”

 

“Really? Yoona-unnie’s unnie looks like Ponyo.”

 

“Yoong has an unnie?”

 

“Mmhmm.”

 

“Do you have an unnie?”

 

“I don’t but I do have a younger sister.”

 

“Like Yerin-ah?”

 

“Your age? Nah, she’s a year younger than Yoong. A lot older than you.”

 

“Where is she?”

 

“With her girlfriend.”

 

“Girrr…gurfwend? What’s that?”

 

“Hmm, how should I put this? Well, before your Sunny-omma and Hyoyeon-omma got married, they were girlfriends first.”

 

Yerin still looked lost and she wasn’t going to blame the kid. She wasn’t really doing a good job explaining it.

 

“A girlfriend is someone who’s important to you. It’s more than a friend. It’s girlfriend if it’s a girl and it’s boyfriend if it’s a boy.”

 

“Is Yoong your gurfwend?”

 

“Mmhmm.”

 

“Yoong said she like you. You like her, too?”

 

“I do.”

 

“Sunny-omma and Hyoyeon-omma always say they love Yerin-ah. They say it to each other, too. If my ommas were gurfwends before and you and Yoong are gurfwends, does that mean you love Yoong too?”

 

Jessica smiled at Yerin. She sure was an intelligent girl. “Yes, I do.”

 

“Why you no say it? Does Yoong say it?”

 

“She’s told me that before. I plan on saying it now but I chicken out all the time.”

 

“Yoong said I have to like you too because she likes you.”

 

“You don’t have to like me just because Yoong said so.”

 

“So I don’t have to like you?”

 

“It would be better if you like me though.”

 

“You’re confusing.”

 

Jessica giggled while Yerin stared at her weirdly.

 

“Sorry for taking away your yum yum, by the way but don’t you think you’re a little too old to be using a yum yum?”

 

Yerin glared at her and widened the gap between them.

 

“I’m just saying. You can’t use that once you start going to school.”

 

“Hmpf!”

 

“Other kids won’t be using their yum yum. Do you want to be the only who has a yum yum stuck in ?”

 

“But…”

 

“I guess Yerin’s not a big girl yet.”

 

“I am!”

 

“Then you should stop using your yum yum.” Jessica mirrored the little girl’s action and placed both hands on her waist.

 

“What are you two doing?” Yoona put the tray down on the coffee table and sat beside Jessica.

 

“Shica says I’m not a big girl.”

 

“Why would she say that?”

 

“Because I use yum yum.”

 

Yoona stared at Jessica who had the same scowl on her face as Yerin’s.

 

“Jessica-unnie knows better because she’s the oldest one in here and what she said about your yum yum is true. You can’t bring it once you start going to school.”

 

“But I want my yum yum.”

 

“But how could you make friends if you can’t talk to other kids because your yum yum is in your mouth? How are you going to eat your snacks if you have that in your mouth?”

 

Yerin stared at the pacifier in her hand. Jessica stood up and went to the kitchen. She opened the fridge and when found what she was looking for, she grabbed it and went back to the living room.

 

“I have something that’s way better than your yum yum. Tada!”

 

The child’s eyes lit up seeing the lollipop that Jessica was holding.

 

“Here, let me open it for you.” Once Jessica had successfully unwrapped the treat, she gave it to Yerin.

 

“Is it better than your yum yum?”

 

She looked at Yoona and nodded merrily.

 

“You should brush your teeth after eating that. There’s a candy that looks like your yum yum. If you continue to be a good girl, we’ll buy one for you. Is that a deal?”

 

“Yes, Yoong.”

 

“What do you say to Jessica-unnie?”

 

“Thank you, Shica!”

 

“Are we good now?”

 

Yerin nodded. “But I still like Yoong more.”

 

Yoona laughed while Jessica pursed her lips in an adorable way.

 

“Shica want a kiss?”

 

“What?”

 

“Sunny-omma do that when she want a kiss and Hyo-omma give her a ppo ppo when she do that.” She turned to Yoona who was grinning mischievously while she listened to the child. “Yoong, you’re her gurfwend. You should give her a ppo ppo.”

 

“The kid said it.” Yoona leaned forward and gave Jessica a chaste kiss on the lips, making the girl’s ears blush.

 

She heard Yerin giggling and it sounded an awful lot like Boo’s laugh from that movie Monsters, Inc.

 

“Shica’s ears are like stwawbewwies.”

 

Yoona didn’t know if she was going to laugh at what she said or how she struggled so much at trying to say it.

 

“Strawberry’s my favourite.”

 

“You must weally like Shica’s ear then.”

 

Jessica turned red even more because even though she knew the child didn’t mean anything by it, she still couldn’t stop herself from thinking about the innuendo of that statement. She ended up covering both ears and glaring at Yoona knowing that she was probably thinking about the same thing.

 

 

---

 

 

Jessica just finished cleaning up the living room where the two ‘kids’ made a complete mess after eating dinner. It was absurd how she had this urge to clean up after the girls when she usually doesn’t do stuff like this. Not until it smells like someone died in her apartment at least.

 

She went to her bedroom and saw Yoona and Yerin on her bed. They were hugging each other and if Jessica didn’t know any better, she would’ve thought Yoona was Yerin’s mom.

 

She carefully sat on her bed to not wake the two up and kissed Yoona’s forehead. She removed the strands of hair that was on Yerin’s face and kissed her forehead as well.

 

She remembered her conversation with the little girl and smiled. Her best friends were doing a really good job in raising the kid. She was becoming as intelligent as they are.

 

Aegyo from Sunny and wit from Hyo. Well, I’ll be damned.

 

She took a deep breath and decided that if there was a good time to practice saying it, that would be right now. “I…I love you, Yoona-yah.”

 

At first she thought she was only imagining things when she saw Yoona’s lips forming into a smile but she wasn’t. The girl was actually awake and was now smiling widely as she stared back at her.

 

“Yo-you’re up?”

 

“A strand of your hair tickled my face and it woke me up.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“I love you too, Jessica.”

 

It was like a switch was and Jessica’s ears were blushing once again.

 

“Strawberry ears.” Yoona chuckled, pointing at Jessica’s ears. “Yerin’s right. You’re really cute.”

 

“She said that?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Before Jessica could cover her ears, Yoona stopped her from doing so. She was now sitting up and was leaning closer.

 

“You were really worth the wait,” Yoona whispered as she caressed her girlfriend’s cheek.

 

“Thank you…for patiently waiting.” Jessica held Yoona’s hand and kissed it.

 

I love you a lot, Jessica.”

 

“I love you, too.”

 

 

___

i think this is a little short but yeah whatever. sometimes i dunno if i can english or not sometimes i can't english LOL i can't. my english skill is  getting worse. i need to go back to school seriously. my grammar

yerin's bit that was actually from a youtube video uploaded by real life yerin's dad. i found it really cute lol look for it on youtube and watch it. if your heart does not melt then wow you're cold as ice. that pacifier bit i got from this show called raising hope i just find hope too cute for words. me and my fondness towards cute babies.

that's all