You and I Both

Pre-chorus

Jessica scrambled to get to her bathroom and fix herself. She was only supposed to take a nap but she overslept.

 

“, , !”

 

She opted to take a cab so she could make herself look presentable on the way there. When she got there, she saw Taeyeon taking a picture of her food.

 

“I’m, uh, sorry I’m late.”

 

“It’s alright. It’s only been ten minutes. You’ve been late for four hours before.”

 

Jessica’s eye twitched. It really wasn’t her intention to be late for four hours during that time. “Why are you taking a photo of your food?”

 

“Isn’t that a thing nowadays?”

 

“I dunno.”

 

“Oh.” She looked around for a waiter but was stopped by Jessica.

 

“I’m not going to eat. I’m here to do one thing and one thing only.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Jessica breathed in deeply and sighed. “I’m breaking up with you.”

 

“We’ve broken up a long time ago.”

 

“Yeah, through Skype,” she leaned back on her chair, “and then you disappeared. Next thing I know, you were somewhere in Europe with your band, talking to producers and doing shows so I’m breaking things up properly.”

 

“Okay.” Taeyeon showed a small smile and sipped her tea.

 

Jessica pursed her lips and scowled at the girl sitting across her. “Bernie made me realize that you stepped on my ego because you’re the first one to actually to dump me like that.”

 

“Your doorman?”

 

She nodded. “I guess I was just too bitter to notice that the times I missed being with you became lesser when I was with Yoona. I’m only reminded of you because you two are sisters. Bernie said I needed a proper closure. That’s the only reason I’m doing this. Just so you know I really like Yoona, too.”

 

“She’s told me she loves me and I want to be ready to reciprocate that but I have to completely get over you first.”

 

She waited for Taeyeon to speak and just say anything that’s on her mind but there was nothing. “I’m not going to return the phonograph to you.”

 

“Even if you did, I won’t accept it.”

 

“Right. Do you want me to return those other things that you’ve given me?”

 

“I’ve already given it to you. You’re free to do whatever you want with it except to give it back to me.”

 

“You know, if there’s anything that I really miss, it’s when your filter disappears every time you’re with me and you could just say the first thing that goes on in your head. Anything random and sometimes gross like hurricane diarrhea.”

 

“I was only able to do that before because we were dating.”

 

“That’s not true. The first time we met, you said everything you wanted to say to me and we weren’t going out then.”

 

“Yes but that was because you didn’t know I was Kim Taeyeon the singer then.”

 

“But still. Just because we’re not dating anymore doesn’t mean you couldn’t tell me at least half of what you’re thinking right now.”

 

“Okay then. I’m glad you’re…you’re not missing me anymore.”

 

Jessica scoffed. “You say it like I was some obsessed fangirl of yours.”

 

Taeyeon chuckled. “I’m happy for you.”

 

“That’s way better than the first one. Anything else?”

 

“Uh,” she pointed to her tea, “this tastes great as usual.”

 

“Tch and people say you’re good at expressing yourself with words.”

 

“Through songs.”

 

Jessica shook her head and stood up, straightening her shirt. “Are you sure you don’t have anything else to say.”

 

“Be safe…?”

 

“Right, you too. Oh and promise me if you’d every break up with someone again, do it personally. You’re going to turn people into Taylor Swift if you keep breaking up with them online or on the phone.”

 

Jessica left and Taeyeon let her shoulders slump. “It’s been really lonely without you,” she whispered and grabbed a couple of bills from her wallet, leaving it on the table, before she left.

 

 

---

 

 

Jessica normally disliked walking but she found it refreshing this time around. It was what she needed after that talk with Taeyeon. She expected it to be more dramatic and emotionally exhausting but that’s clearly just her. Taeyeon didn’t seem to want to do any talking.

 

She had to admit that speaking her mind made her feel better. Lighter even.

 

She thought back to the conversation she had with Taeyeon a few minutes ago and tried to remember the look on her face as she was talking. She wasn’t sure if it was just her imagination but the shorter girl seemed to be choking on some of her words. Stuttering for some reason.

 

Taeyeon was fidgeting too and if she could remember correctly, she only acted that way when tummy aches or when she’s trying not to cry.

 

Jessica shrugged. She shouldn’t be overthinking about Taeyeon’s actions earlier. That chapter of her life was done. She was quite sure she’s ready to go over the next chapter, start all over and make sure it ends well.

 

Before she knew it, her feet have led her to the café that Yoona and her friends frequent in. She remembered meeting Yoona here again and getting called a stalker when she didn’t even know the younger girl frequents here.

 

She was still outside when she caught sight of two familiar girls. One was dozing off, her elbow propped up and knuckles supporting her head while the other one was leaning closer. She was holding a pen and very carefully drew something on the top right side of the girl’s lips.

 

Despite doing it as gentle as she could, the girl still felt it and was awoken.

 

“Yoong, what the hell did you just do?” Tiffany asked, seeing as to how there was a big grin on her friend’s face and ball-point pen in her grasp.

 

“I put a small mole on you.”

 

“Why would you do that?”

 

Yoona who was just giggling like a three-year old seconds ago suddenly turned quiet and mumbled her reason. “Jessica has a mole right there.” She pointed at the exact same spot where she drew the small dot which is on the right most side of the girl’s lips, a few centimetres on top of it.

 

“You miss her?” Yoona answered with a nod. “Well, I’m not Jessica-unnie. You should just call her, stooooopid!”

 

Yoona chuckled. She and Krystal have been hanging out a lot more that she’s picked up a few of Krystal’s expressions. She stared at Tiffany and imagined that it was Jessica sitting beside her but that didn’t work since Tiffany, unlike Jessica, wouldn’t stop yapping even for a second.

 

She shook her head and reached for a wet wipe inside her bag, removing the “mole” on Tiffany’s face.

 

Jessica who was still watching from the outside saw this and interpreted it as an act of affection. Too much affection. Affection that should only be shared by two people in a relationship, she reasoned out in her head. It was safe to say that she didn’t like it so she started making her way inside the café.

 

Meanwhile, the two girls were now fighting over the pen and when Tiffany got hold of it, she smirked and said, “I’m missing Krystal too and I am pretty sure she has a mole right here.”

 

She aimed for Yoona’s right cheek, just above her smile line since it’s where one of Krystal’s moles was. She was only supposed to draw a small dot but Yoona kept dodging and it resulted in her getting a line drawn across her cheek.

 

“Oh my god, I’m sorry but you were moving too much.”

 

Yoona hissed. It was stinging a bit.

 

Tiffany, on the other hand, grabbed a few wet wipes and was supposed to wipe the ink off of Yoona’s cheek but before she could even do so, the two were disrupted by someone who deliberately cleared .

 

“Jessica…”

 

“Jessica-unnie, you’re back.”

 

Tiffany was grinning from ear to ear, unaware of the green-eyed monster that Jessica was trying hard not to let loose while Yoona was left staring at her girlfriend that she hasn’t seen nor talk to in a couple of weeks.

 

“Does Krys know that you’re back?”

 

She shook her head. “Where is she anyways? Why isn’t she with you?”

 

“She and Yuri are still in class. They’ll be dismissed in about an hour.”

 

“I see.”

 

Tiffany looked at Yoona and Jessica back and forth before gathering her things up. “You two should probably talk alone. I’ll get go—“

 

“No, you could stay,” Jessica said as she stared at Yoona finally noticing the black line on her cheek. She held Yoona’s hand and made her stand up. “Let’s get that thing off your face.”

 

The two walked towards the washroom and Jessica used her handkerchief, wetting it with water and using it to remove the line that was drawn on Yoona’s face.

 

“There’s a small welt forming here.” She touched the welt gently to see if Yoona would flinch but she didn’t. She was still too busy staring at Jessica and absorbing the fact that her girlfriend was back in Seoul.

 

“It doesn’t hurt?”

 

“It does. A bit,” Yoona answered, looking down.

 

“What were you two doing? Why were you drawing on each other’s faces? You two looked insane—“

 

Jessica stopped talking and returned the hug that Yoona was giving her. The younger girl’s head on top of her shoulders.  A few seconds later, she could feel the shoulder part of her shirt slowly getting wet and Yoona’s breath was hitching.

 

“Hey,” she whispered as she caressed the girl’s back, “Why are you crying?”

 

“You left. I thought you weren’t going back anymore.”

 

“That’s crazy. I’m here now.” She broke the hug and held Yoona’s chin, wiping the tears away as gently as she could so as to not hurt her cheek even more. “I’m sorry for leaving without any proper notice.”

 

“No. I’m the one who should apologize about what I said that night. I shouldn’t have said that. I told you I was ready to wait but I didn’t keep my end of the bargain and—“

 

“Hey, it’s not your fault. Anyone would’ve reacted the same way. It’s my fault, okay? Not yours You have nothing to apologize for.”

 

She hugged the younger girl once again and the latter held on to her as if her life depended on it.

 

“I was being inconsiderate but that was all in the past now. I’m sure of what I want now and I’m done making you wait. You’ve been so understanding all this time and I want to somehow repay that.”

 

“You don’t need to do that,” she sniffed.

 

“I want to and I also want to start all over.”

 

This time it was Yoona who broke the hug. “What do you mean?”

 

“Well, a wise man told me that if I wanted a relationship to work it should have a solid foundation and it should be built by both people that’s in a relationship and before it was just you who was trying to make an extra effort to make things work. So I think we should start again and this time I’ll also try very hard to make things work for the both us. I will try harder.”

 

“You matter to me, Yoona. A lot. I’m sorry it took me quite a while to realize that.”

 

Yoona held her by the waist and pulled her closer, rubbing their cheeks together. “You need to stop apologizing. If you want us to start all over then we will. I’m up for it. Next time you leave though, tell me.”

 

Yoona smiled playfully and whispered on Jessica’s ear. “So we could at least have farewell .”

 

“I can’t say I don’t like how you think. We should probably go out now.”

 

“Can’t we make out first?”

 

“Did you not remember what I said literally a few seconds ago? We’re going to start all over.”

 

“Oh, come on! I didn’t you think you meant it that way.”

 

Jessica chuckled at Yoona’s childishness. “You have some explaining to do, by the way. What were you and Tiffany doing earlier?”

 

“I decided to draw a mole on her face. Side effect of missing you so badly.”

 

Jessica nodded repeatedly. “Oh, I thought you guys were…never mind.”

 

“We were what?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“Tell me.”

 

Yoons stopped walking and blocked the door.

 

“It’s nothing. I just thought you guys were being too touchy…and close.”

 

Yoona squinted her eyes. “We’re always like that though.”

 

“Okay then. Can you move out of the way now?”

 

“Wait…is this you being jealous?”

 

The older girl didn’t answer and instead pushed Yoona away from the door, going out of the washroom. Yoona smiled to herself. She has a new found fondness for a jealous Jessica.

 

 

____

my latop falling on the floor in the process of writing this update. my god!