Let It Rain

Pre-chorus

“I’m not gay. How many times do I have to tell you that?” Yuri gulped her drink and slammed the shot glass on the floor.

 

“Oh come on, you’ve never been in a serious relationship before. Don’t you think that’s because you prefer girls over guys but you’re just too stubborn to admit it and that’s why your relationship never lasts. As soon as the guy starts being serious with you, you dump them.”

 

Yoona interfered before Yuri got the chance to pull Tiffany’s hair as a final resort in shutting her up. “I don’t think we should pressure Yuri into admitting her ual preference, Fany. So what if she’s gay and she doesn’t want to admit it? We should wait for her to come out and stop interrogating her.” She smiled at Yuri but got a glare shot her way.

 

“I hate the both of you.”

 

“Why would you hate me? I’m on your side. We’re besties.” She stood up and sat beside Yuri, putting an arm over her best friend’s shoulder. “You can come out anytime, Yul. It’s not like I would hate you for being gay. It would be stupid if I hate you for being gay.”

 

“I am not gay. This discussion is done!” she exclaimed as she removed the heavy arm away from her shoulder. She planned on taking revenge by asking some hard-hitting questions to both Yoona and Tiffany but the two girls just shrugged it off and answered every question truthfully, making Yuri even more frustrated. The only person who she thought would be on her side was now in her room.

 

Taeyeon thanked their manager for calling her even before she got interrogated. She managed to avoid a sticky situation by retreating to her room. That sticky situation would’ve come in the form of a drunken Jessica. An intoxicated Jessica was never a good news. She becomes too honest, too emotional and too rash.

 

The “harmless” chit-chat continued with Krystal waking up every time Tiffany’s voice gets too loud, Taeyeon occasionally going out of her room to check up on the other girls, Tiffany and Yoona way far from being sober and the remaining two in a much better state than the other girls. Jessica downed her drinks slower than the others and Yuri stopped when Taeyeon excused herself and told everyone she was done for the night.

 

“Are Yoong and Tiffany okay?” Taeyeon asked, a glass of water in her grasp as she leaned on the wall. Yuri and Jessica both shrugged and stared at the laughing girls who were now throwing chips at each other.

 

Tiffany yelped when she felt Krystal’s elbow digging into her tummy. Jessica, on the other hand, got off the couch and tried to pry away the beer bottle that Yoona was holding but was roughly denied.

 

“Okay, you really need to stop drinking right now, Yoong.” Another failed attempt and when she looked up to shoot her girlfriend a glare, she saw her half-lidded eyes that usually turned her on. This time though it was different. It wasn’t the usual expression that Jessica was used to seeing on Yoona’s face every time she wakes up beside her in the morning.

 

Yoona didn’t speak and instead took another swig, digging her fingers into the bag of chips and putting a handful of it inside .

 

Yuri and Taeyeon both watched from the sidelines as Yoona showed that side of her that she rarely lets anyone see. Yoona has gotten drunk plenty of times but the two knew that drunk Yoona who gets too emotional was bad news just like a drunken Jessica. All the pent up anger, frustration and pain come out when she lets the alcohol get the best of her.

 

Tiffany, who didn’t know any better and who just wanted to get rid of the tension that was building up, unknowingly made it worse by talking to Jessica. “Jessica-unnie, do you have an ex that you could say is way better than our Yoona over here?” She grinned as she locked arms with Yoona.

 

“I don’t think it’s fair to compare Yoong to the people I’ve went out with in the past.”

 

For a second, Tiffany didn’t have anything to say and just when Jessica thought she was done, Tiffany shook her head and slurred. “Well, yeah, but…okay, how about this, think about that one person you’ve dated and you’ve been on a very serious relationship with, by very serious I mean, you know…you thought about marrying this person and making cute little babies with them or adopting cute babies with them if they’re a girl…and then think about Yoona.”

 

Tiffany paused for an incredibly long time and Jessica unconsciously held her breath waiting for the question.

 

Tiffany grinned and Jessica could feel a cold sweat running down the back of her neck. “Who’s better? I don’t mean in bed,” she chuckled, “just, in general, who’s a better girlfriend?”

 

“Like I said, there’s no point in comparing Yoona with my past relationships. She’s different and we’ve only been dating—“

 

“Why couldn’t you just answer ‘Yoona?’ Hmm?” Yoona finally let go of the bottle and slammed it on the floor which emitted a loud thud, fully waking up Krystal. The younger Jung sat up and she was now more alert of what was happening.

 

“I don’t see a point of comparing you to my past relationships. How else do you want me to put it?”

 

“I’d rather have you put it in a way where I’d at least feel better about myself!” she replied as her voice got louder, completely different from Jessica’s calm tone. “I’d rather have you pretend that I’m better for once and be considerate for once about what I feel. I’d rather have you lie to my face than not get a direct answer from you and still feel like you answered ‘Yoona will never be better than this amazing girlfriend of mine that I could never forget!’ Make me feel like you actually need me because you feel something for me, Jessica! That I’m not here just so you could get your mind off of that ex-girlfriend of yours.”

 

By the time she’s finished talking, everyone in the room was on their feet. Yuri and Taeyeon were assisting Yoona who could barely stand up straight. Yoona made her way to her room but not without bumping into a wall and knocking off a couple of stuff. She slammed the door shut and left the other girls to glance at Jessica worriedly.

 

“I am so sorry. I—“

 

“It’s not your fault.” Jessica smiled reassuringly at Tiffany then at her sister. “Krys, you should take Tiffany and Yuri home. Take a cab. Are you going to stay at their place or are you going back to our place?”

 

It took everyone quite a while to recover from the initial shock of Yoona’s outburst and here was Jessica taking everything a little too lightly. Krystal shook her head and cleared .

 

“You’re not coming with us, unnie?”

 

“I’ll try to talk to Yoona. You guys go ahead.”

 

“I don’t think she’d want to talk right now,” said Yuri knowing very well how stubborn Yoona is. That and she’s drunk and has probably fallen asleep.

 

“I’ll wait ‘til she’s in the mood to talk.” She smiled again before leaving them to go to the kitchen. Krystal followed her soon after.

 

“Unnie, are you sure you wanna stay? You two could just talk tomorrow when both of you are okay and not under the influence.”

 

Jessica, with her back facing her sister and her hands on top of the kitchen counter, simply nodded. The younger girl placed a hand on her sister’s back and it gently.

 

“We’ll get going then. Try and get some rest too…oh, well, the couch is comfortable enough, right?”

 

Jessica just nodded once again. Before the trio left, Tiffany apologized once again and Jessica had to reassure her that she wasn’t at fault and that emotion and the alcohol just got the best of them.

 

When everyone was gone, Taeyeon started cleaning up while Jessica knocked on Yoona’s door. After a couple of tries, Taeyeon told her that her younger sister has probably dozed off. She was going to offer her room and take the couch instead but thought otherwise.

 

Jessica sat at the couch and tried dialling Yoona’s number hoping the younger Kim would pick up. On her fifth try she gave up and lay down, placing the phone on her tummy.

 

Taeyeon has finished cleaning up and stared at Jessica who was in deep thought and gazing at the ceiling. After a few minutes she decided that it was better to actually do something other than to stare so she went to her room and got hold of her phone, typing in a simple message and sending it quickly to a number that was stored in her phone but haven’t contacted in a while.

 

She went back to the living room to see what Jessica would do but she could only see the top of the girl’s head and her hands as she text back. She was half expecting Jessica would sent her a ‘Who’s this?’ reply but when she received a different text message saying “You kept my number,” she couldn’t help but smile a little.

 

“I did and you kept mine, too.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Back when they were still together Taeyeon wouldn’t have had any problems continuing the conversation despite Jessica’s short reply but she knew that right now she was walking on thin ice. She had to be careful of what she was going to say next since she knew getting Jessica even more annoyed would make matters worse for her and her sister.

 

“Are you going to be okay?”

 

When Jessica didn’t reply as quickly as she did before, Taeyeon thought she’s already fallen asleep but she took a peek and saw Jessica fiddling with her phone so she leaned back on the wall and waited for her reply.

 

“I’m not sure but I think I blew it. I screwed everything up.”

 

“She’s just drunk and she probably doesn’t mean what she just said a while ago.”

 

“I may not know your sister as well as you do but I do think that the alcohol in her system just gave her that push to tell me what she’s been feeling lately.”

 

When she was typing her reply, another text from Jessica came in.

 

“I can’t blame her for being frustrated. It’s my fault.”

 

“It’s still not entirely your fault.”

 

Taeyeon looked up once again and saw Jessica holding her phone up. When she finished reading Taeyeon’s message, she put her phone down and put an arm over her head. Taeyeon was going to take that as a cue that their short conversation was over but then Jessica sat up and stared blankly at the wall across her.

 

She then typed another message and sent it to Taeyeon.

 

“Why didn’t you answer Krys’ question earlier?”

 

“I didn’t have the chance to answer her question because of Fany.”

 

“Bull.”

 

Taeyeon lightly chuckled at the profanity.

 

“It’s not totally bull. I really don’t think it’s appropriate to answer that question when other people are around.”

 

“So  answer it now.”

 

Taeyeon took her time in texting a reply and it made Jessica impatient.

 

“It’s not really because I got clingy, is it?”

 

The shorter of the two stared at the screen of her phone and smiled bitterly, unaware that Jessica was watching her from the couch.

 

“I liked it when you got clingy and jealous.”

 

“So you lied. Why am I not surprised?”

 

“Still as snarky as ever.”

 

“Still likes dodging questions, I see.”

 

When she finally looked up, she saw Jessica staring at her and was clearly not amused at where the conversation was heading.

 

“It wasn’t going to work out, Sica.”

 

“So you just willingly let go and pretended that I didn’t exist after the break up? That’s not how things work, Taeyeon. What planet are you from that you’d think breaking up would mean cutting off all the communication lines and pretending that we never even met was okay?”

 

“Isn’t moving on easier that way?”

 

“Not for me. We were in a relationship, Taeyeon. Not just you. Didn’t you think that I would need something more than just a Skype call?”

 

Jessica sighed in exasperation as she typed another message. “If it was because of the distance then I would’ve done something about that. I would’ve grabbed any chance that I could to work here for you. You didn’t even let me.

 

Our break up wasn’t because things didn’t work out. I would’ve made it work for the both of us. You just gave up too easily. You didn’t even want to try.

 

Just grow a pair and tell me the truth. Just tell me that your feelings have changed and that you just don’t feel the same way for me anymore.”

 

“I don’t want to li—“ Taeyeon was typing her reply but decided to erase the whole thing and type a different reply. “Is that what you want me to say?”

 

“Is it so hard for you to just tell me the truth?”

 

Jessica has been staring at her with her phone in her hand, waiting for a reply but the two just ended up in a staring contest. She laughed mirthlessly and finally stood up, gathering her things and heading for the door.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“I’m going home. What are you doing?”

 

“I’ll get you home. It’s dangerous for you to go back alone.”

 

“I’ll be driving.”

 

“No, you’re not.”

 

“Yes, I am and stop following me.” The taller girl was rummaging through her bag to look for her keys and when she found it, Taeyeon took the chance to grab it from her.

 

“You’re not driving. I’m taking you home,” she said as she gently led the girl to the lift.

 

“Why are you even doing this, huh? You were doing so well pretending Jung Jessica was non-existent so why—“

 

“I just want my sister’s girlfriend to get home safe.”

 

“Your sister’s girlfriend,” she scoffed, “Didn’t I tell you that I blew it? You were there. You heard what she said.”

 

“That’s right and I didn’t hear her saying she’s stopped caring about you. I didn’t hear her wishing you’d kill yourself in a car accident just because you drive while you were under the influence.”

 

“You should get the award for the best older sister,” Jessica muttered after a few minutes of not speaking. The two got off the elevator and Taeyeon flagged down a taxi.

 

Once Jessica once inside, Taeyeon motioned her to scoot over. “Why?”

 

“I told you I’m going to get you home.”

 

The ride to Jessica’s place was quiet save for the whistling cab driver who was trying to keep himself awake. True to her word, Taeyeon made sure that Jessica gets home safe and walked her to the door of the Jung’s apartment.

 

“I need my keys.”

 

“I’ll give it to you later today. Your car’s still in our building.”

 

Jessica sighed and entered her apartment. Before she could close the door, she heard Taeyeon calling her name.

 

“I’m sorry…for not considering what you would feel. I…I’ll be going now.”

 

 

---

 

 

“What do you mean my sister’s not here?” Krystal asked as soon as she got inside the Kim’s apartment.

 

“She went home earlier this morning. I went with her.”

 

“Okay, I’ll be…” she checked her phone to check if there was any message. One message from Jessica-unnie.

 

“I’ll be going back to LA, Krys. Not sure when I’ll be going back.  Take care of the house.”

 

“What the ?” she cursed loudly.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“She’s going back to LA.”

 

“Who’s going back to LA?” Yoona came out of her room, ridding her eyes of sleepiness.

 

“Jessica-unnie is…on a plane to LA. The message was sent three hours ago.”

 

Krystal and Taeyeon looked at Yoona, waiting for her reaction but all they got was a nod.

 

“I see,” she said before going back to her room and closing the door.

 

Krystal sighed, shoulders slumped. “What the hell is my sister doing?” She stared at Yoona’s door and then shifted her gaze to Taeyeon. “What the hell are our sisters doing?”

 

Taeyeon only replied with a shrug. 

 

 

_____

I'm really not satisfied with this chapter since I wanted more drama but i just can't write a drama-filled chapter if i'm not in the mood. I have to be lonely to write a sad chapter but there's no reason to be lonely and wtf am i saying but yeah, yoonsic falling apart is part of the plot. 

i mean come on, don't tell me you never saw this coming.