Falling Slowly

Pre-chorus

 

Before she knows it, she and her sister were already heading back to Korea. A week has passed but she thinks they should’ve stayed there longer.

 

She was back to having that huge void she had when Jessica went back to LA.

 

“Hey,” Taeyeon nudged her when she noticed her sister zoning out, “Aren’t you glad you’re finally going to be with Yuri and Tiffany again? I thought after being away for a week, you’d be missing them like crazy.”

 

“I do miss them and I am glad that we’re going back. I just wish we could’ve stayed there longer.”

 

Taeyeon stared at her before grinning when she realized why the younger one was acting that way. “You met someone there, didn’t you? Come on, tell me about it.”

 

“Well…”

 

“Yes?”

 

Yoona sighed. “Have you ever been in love, unnie? You’ve never said anything about dating anyone.”

 

“Just because I haven’t said anything about dating anyone doesn’t mean I haven’t been in love.” She smiled and thought it was better to be ambiguous than tell Yoona about Jessica.

 

“How’s it like?”

 

She reclined her chair and leaned back. “Best and worst feeling in the world.”

 

“Why is that?”

 

“You’re both,” she paused as she remembered Jessica, “You both feel like you’re on top of a mountain. Just the both of you and you feel ecstatic. You feel like…like being with her would bring you endless happiness.” She ducked her head and fiddled with the hem of her shirt. “But then you realize you can’t stay there forever. It just can’t be the two of you. Someone would come and…push her off of that peak and you try to hold onto her but you realize that that someone pushed her off for a reason and you end up weighing the pros and cons. The cons win and,” she sighed and looked up to see her sister listening attentively, “you just have to let go.”

 

“Would it have been a stupid decision to not let go and to hold on?”

 

Taeyeon have always thought of that question ever since the break-up but she still has no answer to it. “Are you in love?”

 

“Yuri told me it was just infatuation. I agreed but I really don’t know anymore. I’m physically attracted to her. I think she feels the same way but I wish it was more than that.” Yoona untangled the damn earphones and her iPod. “You should rest your eyes, unnie.”

 

Taeyeon nodded but she was still bothered by their short conversation. She felt like both of them didn’t get any answer from the questions that they threw at each other but she’s willing to wait until Yoona’s ready to tell her about this girl. She’s also taking her time until she can finally tell Yoona about Jessica.

 

 

---

 

 

“Jessica,” a guy who’s in his fifties greeted her as soon as she stepped out of the conference room.

 

She smiled. “Good afternoon, Mr. Webber.”

 

“What did I tell you about being too formal? Call me Gary, please. It makes me feel ten times older when someone calls me ‘Mr. Webber’.”

 

Mr. Gary Webber, to put it simply, is the person assigned to talk to the producers either to sack them or assign them to another team and right now, Jessica’s thinking she’s going to get fired. The ratings aren’t exactly exceptional and it would make sense to fire someone who the company thinks aren’t doing their job properly. She always thought she was doing something wrong or something was always lacking with her.

 

“Good afternoon, Gary.”

 

“Walk with me?”

 

The two started walking along the hallways as the old man explained the situation to her. “Look, Jessica, this business is not always easy.”

 

“I know. I’ve actually been struggling to think of ways to get the rating up there but it always seems like it’s not enough.”

 

The old man nodded in understanding. He’s been in that same position two decades ago. “You’re very young and full of potential and I’ve been observing you. I think of you first when the boss said we need someone in Seoul to…man a show there. As you know, a station bought the license to one of our shows and you know how it goes, right? We can’t let them make a mess of a franchise.” He chuckled a bit and continued, "We need someone to watch over what they do there and I think you fit the job. You're the first one that came to mind when the boss told me that."

 

Jessica, thinking she'd be fired, was now confused. "Me?"

 

"Yes, you, silly. Not just because you're Korean and you speak the language...okay, maybe that was part of the reason but like I said, I think you're full of potential and you'd do justice to the show. I don't want you to waste your creativity and talent to a dying show. Everyone knows that one is bound to be cancelled sooner or later."

 

Jessica ducked her head and giggled. She was blushing because not everyone receives a compliment from Mr. Webber.

 

"Nothing's final though. If your show gets cancelled, we would transfer you to another team if you don't accept the job offer in Seoul but if you do accept it, you are in for a treat. The company would give you all the necessities. That includes a car, an apartment of your choice, as long as it fits the budget. I'm telling you now though the budget is huge. They are willing to be generous because that show is one of our biggest franchise so far."

 

"They're willing to let someone like me to look over it?"

 

He smiled and nodded. "I believe you have it in you. I'm giving you two days to think about it. Alright?"

 

"Thank you, Si—Gary."

 

He patted her shoulder before leaving Jessica to take in all of it. She had a smile plastered on her face until she arrived at their apartment. Krystal saw her coming in and gasped dramatically. “Oh my goodness, what did you drink? It’s four in the afternoon, unnie. You shouldn’t be drinking.”

 

“Krystal, what the hell are you talking about?”

 

“You’re smiling. You only do that when you’re drunk.”

 

Jessica would’ve strangled her if she weren’t in a good mood. “I’m smiling because I’ve just been offered a job in Seoul.”

 

“Really? Oh my god, that’s great! You’ve been wanting that for such a long time.”

 

Jessica’s wide smile disappeared. “Actually, I did want it when Taeyeon and I were still together.”

 

“Oh but…you still want it, right?”

 

The older sister walked to their kitchen and opened the cupboards, looking for a bowl. She opened the fridge and took out the tub of ice cream that the three of them, her, her sister and Yoona, didn’t finish. She scooped up the treat and put it in the bowl before sitting on top of the kitchen counter. “I do. I want it but if anything I’m just happy that all my hard work was being recognized by one of the bosses.”

 

“Are you going to accept it?”

 

“I don’t know. I’m really not sure.”

 

Krystal took the bowl from her and tossed it carelessly in the sink.

 

“Hey! I was eating that!”

 

“What’s stopping you? You’re new to this and yet they’ve picked you. They must have some damn good reasons to do that. Why would you take that for granted?”

 

This is one of the things she hated about her younger sister. She can read her like a book and she’s very confrontational. Double whammy.

 

“This has something to do with Taeyeon, doesn’t it?” When she received no response, she hit her sister’s thigh which made the latter yelp in pain. “Stop with her already. Unnie, stop letting Kim Taeyeon affect the decisions you make in life. Learn to move on! Don’t let her run your life.”

 

“It’s not just because of her, okay? What about you? Who’s going to take care of you if I accept the job halfway across the world?”

 

“I hate to break it you, to dad and to mom but I’m not five years old anymore. I’m very capable of taking care of myself, thank you very much.”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes. “What about mom and dad? What would they say?”

 

“Now, you’re just making up excuses. Mom would be fine. Dad would be ecstatic that you’re going to try and do something new.”

 

“Right. Doing something new…because he loved it when I told him I was dating a girl back in college after I broke up with that guy he really liked for me,” she said, voice laced with thick sarcasm.

 

Krystal chuckled. “Every time he sees you after that I see him wiping a tear because he had such a hard time trying not to cry. I think he’s somewhat a bigot but he doesn’t show his bigotry in front of us.”

 

Jessica, too, couldn’t help but laugh. “Imagine what his reaction would be once you tell him you’re also gay.”

 

The younger Jung recoiled. “Whoa, whoa, I’m not gay. I’m just experimenting.”

 

“Oh please, you’ve already boarded the gay train and bought a one way ticket. It’s too late for you to get off.”

 

“We’ve gotten so off topic I don’t even know what we’re talking anymore.” She sneakily took the tub of ice cream. “Don’t let anyone affect your final decision regarding this job offer, unnie. Not me nor mom and dad…even Taeyeon. Especially not Taeyeon. She’s thrown you out like an old shoe already. Find someone who would—“

 

“Who would treat me like a gorgeous pair of Louboutin shoes,” she stated, unconsciously smiling when she thought about how Yoona compared her to a shoe the first time they met.

 

Krystal opened the door to her room with a grin plastered on her face. She knew exactly what, or rather who, Jessica thinking about when she said that. “Feel free to let a certain Kim Yoona affect it though in a good way…meaning go to ing Seoul and be happy with her because she’s freaking amazing.”

 

She basically knows nothing about the girl but she knows she’s good for her sister. She came to that conclusion after having Yoona cook them their dinner once. She doesn’t know what her sister’s ex-girlfriend was like but she might’ve been nice because Yoona was kind and she wouldn’t have been that way if it weren’t for the people surrounding her, right? On her books though, Taeyeon’s still the bad one because she broke her sister’s heart and Yoona was the good girl who’d take care of Jessica if her sister would allow her to.

 

She really hopes she would.

 

 

---

 

 

She was done packing her bags with the help of Krystal and her mom who flew in all the way from Boston to send her off.

 

She told Mr. Webber that she was going to take the job in Seoul. The old man told her to pack her bags because she was leaving a week earlier to go apartment hunting.

 

Mr. Jung couldn’t make it because he had several appointments that day but he did send his regards and as it turns out, Krystal was right. Her dad was happy she was going to be using her talent on something other than a silly reality show about housewives.

 

“If you have any problems there, just call us and I’ll send your sister there to help you, okay?”

 

“Mom, I don’t need my younger sister to help me get out of sticky situations.”

 

Mrs. Jung and the younger Jung both raised an eyebrow.

 

“Okay, whatever you say, honey.” She turned to the younger Jung. “No boys allowed during late hours. I’ll tell Bernie from downstairs to check up on you from time to time.”

 

“You don’t have to worry about any boys, mom,” Jessica remarked while sniggering.

 

Krystal huffed. “I can visit her during school breaks, right?” Their mom nodded. “Cool.”

 

Their mom needed to go to the opposite direction since she was boarding a domestic flight so she hugged her two daughters tightly and reminded them to take good care of themselves. Soon as their mom left, Krystal’s hand landed roughly on Jessica’s shoulder. “What was that about? ‘You don’t have to worry about any boys, mom’ what the hell was that?”

 

“Just dropping hints.” Jessica smirked as she pushed the baggage cart. “Do you think I brought too much things?”

 

The younger Jung stared at it and shook her head. “You’re just asking that because you’re too lazy. Don’t worry though I bet a good samaritan would help you with your luggage once you get there.”

 

“Right. The ‘good samaritan’ could turn out to be a ert who just wants to cop a feel so no, thanks.” She stopped to give her sister a hug. “Take care of yourself, Krys. Don’t invite too many girls and don’t even think about doing the nasty on my bed. If you do so consider yourself disowned.”

 

Krystal chuckled and patted her sister’s back. “I’ll miss you, unnie.”

 

“Same here. Wish me luck.”

 

The younger girl grinned and watched her older sister’s retreating figure. When she was already out of sight, she quickly dialled a number. It was no surprise that the person she’s calling would pick up so quickly. She did threaten her to answer right away every time she calls. “Jessica-unnie is boarding the plane as we speak. Yes, I know. Just tell her I sent you. Take care of her.”

 

 

---

 

 

Jessica put on her Wayfarer as she pushed the cart. She was back in Seoul once again. This time her stay won’t only last for two weeks. She was hoping everything in her work would go smoothly.

 

She checked her phone for messages and halted when she remembered what she failed to do before leaving LA. “Oh no, I forgot to tell Hyo that I’m coming.”

 

But Jessica being Jessica, she’s already thought of a back-up plan. She scrolled through her contacts list and was about to call her cousin, Sooyoung, when a tall girl started walking beside her and took over pushing the baggage cart.

 

“Hey!”

 

The girl didn’t budge and just kept walking. Jessica was unable to see her face because of the hoodie so she stared at the girl’s hands that were gripping on the cart’s handle.

 

“Hey, spider fingers!” she bellowed and that made the girl halt.

 

“’Spider fingers’ is too much. Don’t exaggerate.” The girl took off her hoodie.

 

“Yoong?” Yoona grinned. “Why are you here? Are you really stalking me now?”

 

She chuckled and waved her hand to say no. “Krystal told me to be here.”

 

“You’re lying. How will she even tell you?”

 

“She has my number. She asked for it before I left after dinner when you were in the bathroom doing your business,” she giggled, “She threatened me to come here and pick you up.”

 

Jessica sighed. If she could go back to LA just to give her sister a punch, she would.

 

“Are you staying at Hyoyeon-unnie’s apartment again?”

 

“I forgot to call her.”

 

“Cool. Stay at our place then. You get unnie’s room.”

 

“No.” There she was again, making Jessica’s life a torture.

 

“Okay. I get unnie’s room and you stay at my room. Then, we could go apartment hunting on my free time.”

 

“Are you crazy? We had a DEAL!”

 

Yoona backed away and bowed at the people passing by who witnessed Jessica’s outburst.

 

“You said after that we’d go back to being strangers and—“

 

The younger girl bowed to her and introduced herself. “I’m Kim Yoona. It’s nice to meet you,” she said with a huge smile on her face. When she didn’t get any response, she spoke again. “It’s only polite to introduce yourself as well, you know.”

 

Jessica struggled in keeping a straight face and she ended up looking constipated but went along with Yoona’s silliness anyways. “I’m Jung Jessica. Twenty-four years old and you should call me ‘unnie.’”

 

She could swear she saw Yoona’s right eye twitching when she said that.

 

Yoona cleared and put on a smile. “Okay, Jessica-un…unnie. Shall we go now?”

 

“Wait, I can’t stay at your place. I don’t think your sister would agree letting a stranger stay in your house.” She said the word ‘stranger’ with so much venom and thought Yoona would at least be curious. Luckily she wasn’t. Jessica’s not even sure if she noticed it.

 

“Taeyeon-unnie would mostly be staying in the studio for a whole month. That’s what she does when they prepare for an album.”

 

Jessica was still hesitant since she doesn’t know how Taeyeon would react once she sees her with Yoona. “I think I’m just going to stay at a hotel or my cousin’s house.”

 

“Stop acting like a stranger, Jessica-unnie,” Yoona said, her voice laced with the kind of sweetness that would make anyone cringe. She hooked her arm with Jessica’s and the two started walking again. “I insist you stay at our place so I could take care of you.”

 

“I can take care of myself.”

 

“You think I don’t know that? Your sister threatened me and I don’t think I want to mess with your sister who knows tons of stuff about chemicals. She could kill me with that knowledge.”

 

Jessica chuckled and hit Yoona’s arm. “Now, you’re the one exaggerating. Do you even know what chemical engineers do?”

 

“I have absolutely no idea. The words chemical and engineer combined just scares the hell out of me and I think about that movie ‘Contagion’.”

 

Jessica gave her another slap on her arm. “We have to find an apartment soon though. I don’t want to be your tenant or worse a freeloader.”

 

“We’ll do it on Saturday,” she reassured her and kissed the side of Jessica’s head.

 

“Do you really have to be touchy-feely in public?” she asked, blushing.

 

“I just like kissing you, Jessica…unnie.”

 

Jessica feigned a gagging expression. “Too much aegyo. Stop it.”

 

Jessica automatically looked for a cab.

 

“I borrowed my sister’s car. Wait here, okay?”

 

She nodded meekly. She thought about Taeyeon again. She’d be in Taeyeon’s car again, just like a year ago, the last time she visited the girl.

 

You can do this, Jessica. Don’t think about her.

 

Yoona got off the car and helped Jessica haul her luggage in the trunk. When they were done with that, they both got inside the car and Yoona was surprisingly driving really well. She was guessing when she let Yoona drive her car and threatened her, the younger girl got really scared and ended up driving worse than an old person would.

 

“Krystal’s scaring me again.” Yoona put her phone on the car’s dashboard.

 

“What did she say this time?”

 

Yoona pouted. “She said she would drug me and experiment on my body like I’m nothing but a lab rat.”

 

The older Jung snorted. “Both of us are squeamish. I’m pretty sure she can’t do that even if she wanted to.”

 

Yoona drove away from the airport while mumbling what seemed like, “How am I so scared of a girl younger than me?”

 

____

Sorry if it's short but it's easier for me to check for errors this way. I gave a small preview of the TaengSic break up on Taeyeon's point of view. I'm not gonna be doing flashbacks or anything like that. That's what the prequel would be for. Drama would come just enjoy the light chapters for now