Departure

Holding On To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

February 17. The family of young royals was at a palace near the outskirts of Seoul to enjoy a barbeque dinner. They were making wraps for each other as Changmin served his punishment and stood in front of the fire to cook for them. It was a severe punishment because he could only stare at the meat he was grilling, but the punishment was lightened every time Joohyun fed him a wrap. Food, prepared by his girlfriend, for him only – All-Kill Wrap.

 

“Cha,” Soojung started the toasts around the table. “Here’s to the future king and queen!” The couples exchanged glances, but toasted with the sisters to Yunho and BoA’s wedding in March.

 

After a sip of wine, Yunho toasted to Changmin and Joohyun’s future. “There have been ups and downs in their relationship – me being the fault for most of it. But these two have many great things ahead of them!” Changmin grinned at Yunho’s speech, but Joohyun and BoA’s smile seemed to falter a little. “Changmin-ah, toast your girlfriend, will you?” Yunho suggested.

 

 

 

Changmin got up with the glass of wine in his hand.

 

“To Joohyun, the woman who manage to survive palace protocol and bring some joy to our lives,” Changmin toasted, looking at Joohyun. “Thank you for being a part of my life, and thank you for being mine. Here’s to many more happy moments when you return. Don’t take too long, Joohyun-ah.” They toasted to the younger couple and drank again.

 

Joohyun started to tear thinking about the happy moments that would never come. Changmin saw her eyes and her pout, and quickly put down his glass to wipe her face. “Either she’s too emotional or your words are actually touching,” Sooyeon joked. They took turns to wish the birthday boy, each bringing up some childhood memory that they treasured with him. Coming to Joohyun’s turn, she collected her emotions and gave her share of memories.

 

“I thought that oppa was always with me because he was bored or I looked scared, but I’m honored to know that it was because he liked me,” she started out.

 

“Yah… She still doesn’t drop the formalities,” Sooyeon sneered. The rest giggled at Joohyun’s speech and Sooyeon’s annoyance, but Joohyun just let it pass, “Thank you for always making everyone’s life eventful and cheerful. Thank you for guiding us on the right path. Yunho-oppa’s nickname is U-Know but you seem to know more about certain things.”

 

They laughed at her joke and Changmin smiled proudly at his girlfriend. She continued, “Please stay strong, stay handsome, stay healthy –but get healthier-, and stay happy for everyone around you. Why? When you smile, we’ll smile. Oppa, saranghae.” The tears wouldn’t stop flowing out and her smile couldn’t stay on her face. Changmin quickly stood up and hugged her. Even Soojung took a paper towel to dry her eyes. “Yah! Is this a wedding speech?!” BoA tried to joked through her tears.

 

They enjoyed some more dinner games like Love Jenga before heading to bed after a midnight cake celebration. Joohyun saw Yunho giving BoA a goodnight hug and asked Changmin for one too –one of the many things she would never have again. BoA saw them and told Joohyun to give Changmin a kiss for his extra birthday present. She blushed at the suggestion but returned the gesture when Changmin initiated the kiss.

 

 

“Sleeping?” Joohyun opened her eyes and looked to her right. BoA was lying in the other floor bed next to hers, her gaze glued towards the ceiling. “Aniyo,” she answered.

 

“I heard you’d be gone for a whole month.”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“So you’re missing our wedding?”

 

“Choesonghamnida, unni. I can’t postpone the business tri-“

 

“How many more events will you be missing?” Joohyun turned to look at BoA. “I’m sorry I don’t understand…”

 

BoA heaved a sigh and sat up. “Joohyun-ah, I heard it all.” Joohyun still couldn’t understand what BoA was saying. “I heard what you and Joonmyun talked about in Phuket.”

 

Joohyun’s eyes widened at her words and her emotions threatened to burst out. BoA looked at her with questioning eyes. “Why are you leaving Changmin? I thought you love him. I know you’re not cheating on him with Joonmyun ‘cause he said he wanted you to be with Changmin. So why are you fleeing to Greece.”

 

“Unni,” Joohyun mumbled. Her nose was starting to get blocked as her eyes started to get blurred. “My

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter