Don't worry about presents.

Of Dragons, Pandas, and Insanity.

[set in the universe where Kris and Suho live apart. this doesn't actually happen]

“So Suho and I had this dream.” Kris begins as the last person to join them, an excited Chanyeol, sits down on the floor with a whole tin of cream crackers in his hands. Beside him, Suho nods, egging Kris to go on with the story.

 

“There was this person-fairy-thing who told us that our Christmas gift would be that we would switch roles for half a day.” Kris gestured to Suho and himself. He chuckles. “I didn’t believe it at first, but when I woke up…I was a kid again. Sorry guys, I was acting really weird.”

 

“Me too!” Suho exclaims. “Sorry, Chanyeol, for earlier. Your hair’s really curly.”

 

Chanyeol grins through a mouthful of crushed crackers. “It’s natural.” He tells Suho, crumbs spraying all over the carpet. “I mean,” he stuffs a hand into the tin and brings out a couple more of the biscuits. “It should be, right?”

 

Suho reaches out to run a hand through the curls fondly as Chanyeol directs a one-eyed glare at him.

 

“Right, so, does anybody have any idea until what time does this last? Because I don’t think you guys are gonna remain as kids forever.” Kris directs the attention back to himself. A couple of hurt expressions look up at him from the floor and he shrugs.

 

“Hey, it’s common sense, ok?”

 

“But I like being an adult.” Chen whispers dejectedly.

 

Kris waves a finger in his face. “No no, you like being twenty and older. Being an adult is harder than you think.”

 

“But…my glorious face.” Chen claps two hands to the sides of his cheeks and whimpers.

 

Luhan ignores Chen and jabs a thumb at the clock. “Well, it’s two hours to boxing day. I guess this ends when the day’s over.”

 

“What? No, it can’t be that soon!”

 

“Can we open presents at eleven-thirty?” Sehun looks up at Suho with large puppy eyes.

 

Suho stares at him for a while, then pushes him forcibly to Kris.

 

“Oh god, I can’t deal with you like this. Ask Kris, he’s impervious to all things cute.”

 

Sehun focuses his beam of rainbows and sunshine over to Kris instead.

 

“No.” Kris takes one look at Sehun and turns away immediately.

 

“Please, appa? Come on, how often do we turn into adults?” Luhan joins Sehun and the aegyo amplifies.

 

But Kris has his shield on, and shakes his head again. “That’s the whole point. We bought presents for kids, not adults.”

 

“Please~?” Tao finally joins the group. “Bbuing bbuing?” He lifts both hands to his puffed out cheeks and does a revving motion that completely and utterly destroys Kris’s shield.

 

“Eleven forty-five.” He sighs and sits back with an air of finality.

 

“Done. Yay! Guys, we can open presents at eleven forty-five!” Luhan flops his whole body over the group of them right behind.

 

“Really? I thought aegyo doesn’t work on you?” Suho slides next to Kris and smirks.

 

Kris shrugs. “Apparently Tao’s does.”

 

***

 

“Let’s open it all at the same time!” Sehun exclaims as Kris and Suho painstakingly drag out the Chen-sized tree from the cupboard. All the presents are stacked up neatly behind and form a sparkly multi-coloured tetris-looking wall of goodness.

 

“Later, guys. It’s only half-past.” Kris dislodges one of the faux branches from the door hinge. “Yeol, can you come help us with this? I’ll cut five minutes.”

 

“Chanyeol looks over at his appas for a few seconds and hums thoughtfully. “If all of us help will you allow us to open the presents right after?”

 

Kris winces as Suho lets the tree dip to his side a bit too much and a bauble falls from its position to the floor, creating an ear-piercing noise.

 

“Fine, fine, whatever! Just hurry.”

 

In a second, all of the ten adult-kids are at the tree, grabbing whatever they can without disturbing the decorations draped carefully around the circumference of the tree.

 

In about five minutes, the tree’s neatly placed where it always is, at the corner of the room, and all the kids have gotten their presents one way or another when Kris or Suho wasn’t looking.

 

"As promised, you guys can open your presents now.” Kris huffs and wonders if the kids are really not going to notice that it’s eleven forty and that they really hadn’t won anything over him.

 

Chanyeol’s already ripped off the green sparkly wrapper to uncover a large toy yellow bulldozer with ‘special functions’ and ‘new sounds’.

 

“Oh wow.” He says with a little bit of disappointment, and Kris can tell that he thinks it’s a little too childish for him.

 

“Thanks, I gue-“ He turns to Suho with an awkward smile but then-

 

He disappears.

 

 

“Chanyeol!” Suho shrieks and runs over to where Chanyeol was sitting a few seconds ago. Only a heap of his clothes are left, and something squirming in the cloth.

 

“Appa? What-“ A familiar little head pokes through the armhole of Kris’s white singlet. A little head with the name of Chanyeol.

 

“Are we opening presents? What did I get?” Chanyeol gasps and jumps, -, into Suho’s arms.

 

“A truck? Is that mine? Wah!” He detaches from Suho and rolls over to his present instead. “I love it!” He announces loudly to the whole world and hugs the box to himself. It looks uncomfortable, especially since he has no clothes on, but he doesn’t care.

 

Meanwhile, the rest of the kids look toward Suho and Kris for an explanation.

 

Suho raises both hands in defence. “Hey, I know nothing. That fairy person didn’t tell me anything like this.”

 

Baekhyun stares at toddler Chanyeol with an unreadable expression.

 

“Does that mean…we’ll turn back into kids once we open our presents?”

 

Suho shrugs. “Only one way to know.” He nudges Sehun’s present closer to him. “You open it first, then Luhan.”

 

Sehun an eyebrow at Suho. “Why me first? Why not Luhan?” He asks, and Suho can tell that he really wants to see Luhan as a kid.

 

But then the plan wouldn’t work.

 

“Because I said so.” Suho retorts and pushes the present closer to Sehun. “Go on, open it.”

 

Sehun looks at his present like it’s gonna come alive and eat him or something.

 

“I don’t wanna be a kid again.” He whispers so that only Luhan can hear.

 

Luhan shifts even closer and rests his chin on Sehun’s shoulder.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll join you soon after.”

 

Sehun nods shakily and looks at Suho again.

 

“See you in twenty years, then.” He smiles weakly and tears open a tiny corner of the present. It’s a Barbie make-up refill kit.

 

Sehun jerks his head up, looking at Suho disbelievingly. “What? I don’t even have a Barbie-“

 

And then he’s a toddler again, lost in Suho’s purple shirt and black slacks.

 

There’s silence for a while as Sehun tries to find his way out from the apparel with little grunts and ‘oofs’.

 

“Well, it’s my turn then.” Luhan grins. “I already know what it is. You guys are-“

 

But even before Luhan can finish his sentence, he’s already a seven-year-old kid, swathed by Suho’s clothes.

 

“What? What just happened.” Kris shot up from his seat, or rather, he nearly fell off his seat at the sudden disappearance of his children.

 

“Well,” Suho gaped. “Well.”

 

“So we just have to know what’s our present?” Chen gasps. “No one tell me anything! I’m not listening!”

 

“Your present’s an orange stuffed toy!” Kai yells right into Chen’s covered ears.

 

A few seconds, later, adult Chen’s gone, replaced by a floundering toddler Chen.

 

Kai’s speechless as he looks down at Chen.

 

“I had no idea. Are you guys that predictable? So my present should be-“

 

And then Kai’s gone too.

 

“Ok, nobody think!” Xiumin yells, exasperated.

 

A few seconds later, Lay disappears too.

 

“It’s a unicorn toy, isn’t it? Appa you guys need to stop being predictable.” Baekhyun whines. “Xiumin hyung’s present’s probably a toy bun, isn’t it?”

 

Adult Xiumin pops back to toddler Xiumin and Kris groans. “Baekhyun…”

 

“Oh gosh, I think I know what’s mine. Oh goodbye, cruel, predictable world!” Baekhyun cries out and drapes an arm over his face dramatically.

 

And he’s gone too.

 

“Suho I told you not to get him that.” Kris punches Suho’s upper arm jokingly.

 

“Well I told you not to get Chen that orange one.” Suho answers right back.

 

Only Tao and Kyungsoo are left, and Kris is surprised Tao hasn’t guessed his yet.

 

“Tao, you can’t guess your present? It’s really-“

 

Tao groans and rips open his pink wrapped panda plush. “I don’t wanna be a ki-“

 

Now Kyungsoo’s the only other adult kid in the room. He watches the rest of the kids for maybe ten seconds with wide, unblinking eyes, then looks at Suho.

 

“My present’s a coo-“

 

And then Kris and Suho are the only adults in the room, surrounded by ten toddlers and ten sets of their clothing.

 

Suho’s backbone seems to dissolve into jelly as he slumps down onto the couch. Kris looks at the kids with glee as they finally fully unwrap their presents. Shouts of glee fill the room and Suho looks at Kris with a weak smile.

 

“Some Christmas.”

************

Oh wow my writing really these days I'm so sorry I don't know what happened ._. Christmas is already over so the mood's kinda gone...And I also got really lazy at the end it's horrible argh I wanna edit everything all over again. Maybe one day...

I think this is by far the longest chapter haha. Sorry you guys had to sit though so much crap ;^;

Anyone wanna guess all the unmentioned presents? There's Luhan's, Kai's, Baekhyun's, and Kyungsoo's, if I'm not wrong. You get a free hug hehehe :D

Thanks for commenting and subscribing :D