What You Want [3/3]

What You Want

Author’s Note: Me and my marriage fic obsession. Kill me.

 

 


 

 

It was on a Tuesday afternoon when Kyungsoo found an anonymous note.

He had three classes on Tuesday. It was the busiest day of the week and he always ended up with a headache.

Kyungsoo frowned as he picked up the note. It was written in a nice handwriting and the paper smelled like lavender. Someone had put it in his History textbook between chapter twelve and thirteen. It was a smart move, considering he was going to have a test for the two chapters the following week. His teacher had just announced it and the whole class wept in silence.

He looked around to his friends but they were busy with themselves. It was the last class for the day and everyone only wanted to go home as soon as possible. Kyungsoo’s shrugged to himself and read the written words.

Dear Do Kyungsoo. I’ll be waiting for you when your class ends. Meet me under the oak tree.

Kyungsoo’s frown deepened. That was it, three full sentences. The name of the sender wasn’t even there.

“Love confession?”

The male nearly jumped as Sehun’s deep voice resonated in his ear. He turned to the other with his eyes widened and the note crushed in his palm. “S—Sehunie! Never, ever do that again!”

“Don’t ever say love confession again?”

Kyungsoo gave him a look. “...shock me to death, you know.”

Sehun pursed his lips. Why did people keep saying that to him? What did he do wrong anyway?

“Besides,” Kyungsoo waved his hand dismissively. “It’s not a love confession. It’s just a note.”

Sehun snatched the crushed note from the older male’s hand. Kyungsoo yelped and tried to grab it back, but he failed. He read it loudly. “I’ll be waiting for you...meet me... Hm... Well, sounds like a plan to confess to me. Are you going, Hyung?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because I’m not sure it’s me he’s talking about.”

Sehun folded the note and stared at the older male as he set the note onto the table. “What do you mean, it’s not you he’s talking about?”

“I’m not pretty, Sehunie,” Kyungsoo muttered quietly. “And God, what’s up with this guy and his stupid note? If he really likes me why doesn’t he just come to me and say it?”

He slammed his book shut in annoyance and sighed. He coldly gazed at the note lying on the table.

“I’m sorry. I don’t think I’ll go. That’s all.”

Kyungsoo packed some of his books into the bag before slinging the strap on his shoulder. He started to walk with the rest of his books in his arms, but when he realized Sehun was not moving, he stopped and looked over his shoulder.

“Sehunie?”

Sehun crossed his arms. “I still don’t think it’s fair for you to say no without even giving this person a chance. It may not be like your last one—if you’ve ever had any bad experience.”

“A no is a still a no,” Kyungsoo countered stubbornly and decided not to talk about it anymore. “I’m going home. See you tomorrow, Sehunie.”

Kyungsoo didn’t even give him the chance to reply and quickened his pace and left the class. He looked straight ahead, not giving a damn about his surrounding. As he passed the field of oak trees, he held his books tighter and his steps stepped up into a run. If there was really someone waiting for him under the tree, he never knew about it because he did not bother to look.

Because Kyungsoo was scared.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Kyungsoo knew that he wasn’t pretty.

He never really tried to change his appearance. His hair had been black as long as he lived. His eyes were round and big even without putting any eyeliner on. His lips were of average size, they weren’t thin like Luhan’s or Baekhyun’s or Junmyeon’s or—the list could go on—anyone else’s. He was pretty much boring normal and not attractive.

Kyungsoo was also scared of confessions.

There were times when he wanted to be in a relationship. He wanted to be treated as special, like he was the only thing that mattered in the world. He wanted to have someone to talk to, someone to share with. He wanted what one would normally want in a relationship.

Someone had confessed to him before and it had started with a note.

The letters wouldn’t be so bad if they were really addressed to him.

He was not picky, but that didn’t mean that he was going to accept everyone. There was a certain someone who captured his heart and Kyungsoo thought he was romantic and perfect. His notes were always able to bring a smile upon his lips. Whenever he was down, he would reread them all over again just to feel better.

When Kyungsoo finally opened his heart to meet the guy who had been sending him what seemed like thousands of notes, his heart shredded to millions of pieces. It turned out that the guy mistook him for Baekhyun. All this time, while he had been receiving the notes, they had never been meant for him. They were supposed to go to Baekhyun’s locker but they ended up in Kyungsoo’s locker instead.

What went wrong?

It was a genuine mistake and the guy begged for his forgiveness. He kept on apologizing that he didn’t mean to hurt him.

Kyungsoo painfully smiled even though his heart was shattered. He felt deeply hurt even though he tried to be casual about it, as if it was not a big deal.

But ever since then, Kyungsoo was traumatized. He was scared everytime someone mentioned anything related to love like ‘hey, he likes you’ or ‘he has a crush on you’ to him because Kyungsoo knew it was too good to be true. He didn’t feel good about himself, and he started to build walls around his heart. He wanted to protect it because he was scared.

And Sehun was aware of Kyungsoo’s fear.

A lot of guys liked Kyungsoo, but the latter never opened himself again for the relationship possibilities. At least not for now. He always quickly said ‘no’ before even giving them a chance. And it was not fair. What if their feelings were real? That they really didn’t mistake him for anyone else?

Whenever they were together in a group, Sehun would always examine Kyungsoo. The older male would never show it, but it was pretty obvious that he didn’t feel too confident surrounded by pretty people like Luhan and Baekhyun. Especially Baekhyun. Junmyeon wasn’t around today so he didn’t count.

Kyungsoo would bite his lip in a dreamy way whenever Baekhyun laughed. Or when Baekhyun flipped his hair gracefully. Or when Baekhyun laced his fingers together and pressed them against his lips. It was not love, Sehun realized, it was more like admiring. Kyungsoo admired Baekhyun a lot. He wanted to be just like him: pretty, cute and lovable.

That day, they were at a cafe and Kyungsoo did what he usually did: imitating Baekhyun’s attitude.

It was subtle but Sehun, as usual, noticed it.

Kris and Yixing had brought their laptops to work on their assignments, while the others were merely there for fun.

Sehun couldn’t take his eyes off of Kyungsoo. Even though his hand intertwined with Luhan’s tightly, but the more he observed Kyungsoo, the more he hated to see him trying to resemble Baekhyun.

“Kyungsoo-ah,” Baekhyun suddenly said with a smile. “Don’t look, but the guy over there. He keeps on looking at you.”

Kyungsoo blinked as he realized the guy Baekhyun meant sat right behind him. It was actually impossible, because if the guy was really looking at him, then he literally had been staring at Kyungsoo’s nape and back instead of his face. He failed to realize that there was a large mirror behind Baekhyun, which would logically explain how the guy knew his face.

So he shook his head. “No, he’s looking at you, Hyung.”

Baekhyun looked flabbergasted. “Um...no, Kyungsoo-ah. He—“

“Do-hyung,” Sehun decided to cut into the conversation. “I’ve been wanting to ask for some time. What is your type anyway?”

That got everyone to stare at Kyungsoo. Even Kris and Yixing had paused to listen. Kyungsoo shifted uncomfortably in his seat and twiddled his fingers. “Um...my type?”

“Yeah. You know, like what you’re looking for in a guy. I know you’re not picky. I’m just curious.”

“Oh.”

Kris rapped his fingers on the table softly, waiting for an answer. It was obviously more interesting than his assignment.

Kyungsoo scratched his head awkwardly knowing that his friends would really want to know. So he just said what first came to mind. “Um...tall?”

Yixing let out a snort before he resumed typing on his laptop.

Sehun waited patiently for more. “Tall. Acceptable. And then?”

“Um... I don’t know... Um, do I really have to answer this?”

“It might help,” Baekhyun nodded cheerfully. “Remember that time when you asked me about my type? I got exactly the way I wanted it. So I don’t know, there’s always a chance, Kyungsoo-ah. Who knows, Sehun might be able to find you one.”

“But I don’t really want one at the moment...”

“Shush. Next.”

Kyungsoo sighed and thought to himself with a finger on his chin. “Um...he has to be...skinny. He needs to have skills, like, I don’t know, anything is fine. Dancing is okay. Uh... He has to be protective of me. But most of all, he has to be...”

Everyone waited as Kyungsoo held his breath.

“...scary.”

Luhan went blank. “...scary?”

Kyungsoo looked down to his drink sheepishly. “I know you’re going to laugh. But please don’t laugh.”

Kris cleared his throat with an effort and was successful in turning his laugh to a cough. “You have an...interesting type.”

“Says someone who wants panda eyes for a type,” Yixing snorted and Kris threw him a spare napkin.

“Well,” Baekhyun put a hand on Kyungsoo’s and his expression was soft. “It’s good to have a type. I hope you’re gonna be able to find one soon, Kyungsoo-ah.”

“Thank you, Hyung,” Kyungsoo smiled. Just like you’ve found Chanyeol-hyung.

Everyone seemed to forget about the topic a few minutes later, but Sehun didn’t. No one noticed the expression in his face as he stared smugly at Kyungsoo who sat across him.

Tall? Skinny? (Preferably) dancer? Protective? Scary?

He just had someone in mind.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

The next Tuesday, Kyungsoo found another anonymous note.

Without even bothering to take a look, he threw it to the nearest trashcan after crushing it into a ball. Luckily Sehun wasn’t around or the younger male might scold him for doing so.

Kyungsoo casted a glance at his wristwatch and decided to drop by at the minimarket to restock on his food and stuffs.

He met Junmyeon in the minimarket and his confidence suddenly sank.

“Hey, Kyungsoo-ah,” Junmyeon gave him a warm smile. “Are you alone?”

Kyungsoo could only nod as a reply. He thought of Junmyeon as the same with Baekhyun. The older male was pretty, and with a single glance everyone would agree that he had an angelic aura. His smile was soothing, he was polite and kind hearted. Junmyeon was perfect, just like Baekhyun.

Junmyeon raised his eyebrows as he looked down to Kyungsoo’s basket. “Whoa, spaghetti. Is it hard to make?”

“Not at all, Hyung. It’s pretty easy to make.”

Junmyeon sheepishly smiled. “I’ve never cooked in my life before. But I’m thinking of starting.”

“Well,” Kyungsoo paused as he stood in front of the snacks aisle. “I think cooking is fun. You can start from the simplest thing first before moving on to the more complicated ones.”

“And tiring, I guess? Sometimes it gives me a headache to think that we spend a lot of time cooking but consume it less than fifteen minutes.”

Kyungsoo chuckled. “True. But it’s worth it. Hmm. Are you cooking for someone, Hyung?”

Junmyeon blushed and stammered nervously. “Eh—w—well—I’m just—it’s a plan, I haven’t started on it yet—“

Kyungsoo grinned knowingly. “Don’t worry, I’m sure Lay-hyung will like it.”

Junmyeon’s face turned even redder as Yixing was mentioned.

“So what are you going to cook—“

“Do Kyungsoo.”

Both Kyungsoo and Junmyeon turned around to see who had called the former’s name.

Kyungsoo had seen him somewhere before but he didn’t remember when or where.

The male was taller than him. It may not be ten centimetres like Baekhyun and Chanyeol but it was enough. Kyungsoo could tell that he was also skinny even though it was all hidden beneath the coat. He didn’t fail to take note that the male in front of him was so fashionably stylish, clad in the latest fashion sense, as opposed to him. The stare he gave Kyungsoo was deep in a lazy kind of way, and somehow, seductive. The way he his lips carelessly gave Kyungsoo goosebumps.

He’s...scary.

“Do Kyungsoo,” he repeated a bit louder.

“Y—yes...?”, Kyungsoo whispered.

“Marry me,” he stated bluntly. “What is your respond to that?”

Junmyeon gawked.

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened to such width that it was impossible for them to get any wider. “M—marry you?”

“Yes,” the male spoke. “I’ve been waiting for you under the oak tree last week, but you never came. You even threw my note this afternoon without reading it, didn’t you?”

“B—but—“

“So I just thought I’d ask you directly since you’re not gonna give a damn about any of my notes.”

“I—it’s—“

“Marry me, Do Kyungsoo,” the male didn’t even bother to let Kyungsoo finished. “It may not be now. It may be years from now, because we’re still young and we’re both still in college but I’m a hundred percent serious so if you say yes now, I’m gonna save a lot and work hard to achieve my dream to be with you. So what do you say?”

Needless to say, Kyungsoo dropped his basket to the floor and ran away in fear a second later.

By the time Junmyeon was finally able to regain his breath—and brain function—Kyungsoo was nowhere to be found and the skinny male was still there, mourning his plan, wondering where things went wrong. Kyungsoo was supposed to reply with a quick yes without hesitation and they would live happily ever after.

“Jongin,” Junmyeon hissed. “Are you out of your mind?”

The male looked at him casually. “For Do Kyungsoo? Yes, I am, Hyung. I am out of my mind for Do Kyungsoo.”

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

It had been a few days since the incident at the supermarket.

Junmyeon didn’t tell anyone about what happened and Kyungsoo felt grateful to him. He met the older male the next day, but they only exchanged awkward smiles. Junmyeon, left saying nothing when Yixing picked him up.

Kyungsoo felt anxious and weird at the same time. Deep down he was curious about the male who had suddenly showed up and called his full name. Who was he? How did he know him? Why marriage instead of dating? And if he was serious, where the hell was this guy? Why did he disappear? Oh wait. Kyungsoo was the one who ran away first. Well it was only expected that he did. It was normal to run away. ‘Marry me’ was not exactly what you would say to someone you had just met.

He couldn’t stop thinking about it and it gave him a headache. Kyungsoo thought he should just wait. If the male was really serious, he would show up again. Kyungsoo stopped at that and decided not to think about it anymore.

But it was hard not to.

The days passed by quickly and there was still no sign of the male.

Kyungsoo told himself for the hundredth time to not think about it, but how? For God’s sake, he was asking him to marry him. By not showing up for days, did it mean that he was not serious? That it was probably only a dare he made with his friends? Or a joke? A cruel joke. Or...

Worst case scenario...

...maybe he had mistaken Kyungsoo for someone else.

It had happened, right?

Maybe the male approached the wrong person. Maybe he meant to approach Baekhyun...or Luhan...or even Junmyeon. That was right, Junmyeon was beside him that day. Maybe the reason why Junmyeon only smiled at him awkwardly was because it was probably addressed to him? And he didn’t want Kyungsoo to feel so pathetic that he said nothing.

Kyungsoo pinched himself in the arm so hard. The pain caused him to forget his situation for a second before his brain decided to flash the images back. He hung his head dejectedly.

By the time Sehun noticed that something was wrong, it was already Tuesday again.

Kyungsoo was popping a cookie into his mouth for the third time when Sehun pressed the back of his hand on his forehead. He raised his brows in confusion. “What...?”

“Just checking if you’re okay,” Sehun looked worried. “You hate cookies. You hate everything sweet. Remember?”

Kyungsoo glanced down at the chocolates and cookies in his hands and swallowed in a gulp. “They’re my anti depressants.”

“Anti...”, Sehun trailed off. “Is everything alright, Hyung?”

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo replied with his mouth full. “I need to eat to take my mind off of things.”

Sehun shook his head and snatched the food away in disagreement. “I’m confiscating these. If you really need to eat to take your mind off of things, I suggest you eat some healthy ones.”

Kyungsoo let out a sound of protest, but Sehun was determined not to give his food back. He puffed his cheeks in annoyance and sulked. “Fine. I’m going to the market to buy another. You can let Luhan-hyung have them.”

He left quickly before Sehun could stop him. His classes were done for the day and even though Kyungsoo didn’t feel hungry he felt like munching anything to distract his mind. When he finally snapped back to reality, he was in front of the minimarket—the same place with last week where the ‘incident’ happened last week. Kyungsoo hesitated for a moment before walking in.

Nothing will happen, Kyungsoo, he thought to himself. Nothing will happen.

Kyungsoo grabbed a basket and wandered around the food aisle. All the sweet cookies were making him full and he felt nauseated. Just like what Sehun had said, he disliked sweets. But he read it somewhere in the magazine that sugar was a good thing to eat when you feel depressed, so...

Wait. Depressed?

Kyungsoo pinched his inside arm and winced in pain.

Please, stop. Please...

Please stop thinking.

Please...

“Do Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo felt goosebumps on his skin when he heard the voice. It was familiar, and when he looked to his right, the male was there. The very same male who asked him to marry him last week.

He smirked. “Hello. We meet again, Hyung.”

Kyungsoo gasped in fear as he stumbled backward and dropped the basket to the floor. He turned around to run, but it was a dead end behind him. If he wanted to get out, he would have to pass by the male in front of him—who looked very attractive, by the way with his bright colored tee, chain necklace and skinny jeans. Kyungsoo immediately lost his strength and blanched in fear.

“U—um, I’m not p-pretty—“

The male narrowed his eyes. “You what?”

“I—I think you confused me with s-someone else—“

“I what?”

“I’m—I’m not Baekhyun or Junmyeon or L-Luhan—“

“Listen, Hyung.”

“You—you must know them because they’re like the m-most popular people—“

“Hyung. Listen to me, Hyung.”

“But I’m not popular at all and t—that’s why—“

The male ran a hair through his hair in confusion. “Do Kyungsoo.”

“I-I think I may not be the one who—“

“I’M TRYING TO TALK HERE SO CAN YOU PLEASE LISTEN TO ME?”

“I’m—I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo squeaked automatically (“You what?”, Jongin shouted) as he covered both of his ears with his hands. He closed his eyes panickly and dropped on his knees. Kyungsoo’s heart beat so fast that he was afraid it would explode out of his chest. The male in front of him was scary and he was really, really scared of him. He felt like crying but he could still prevent the tears from falling.

Kyungsoo heard a long sigh and slowly cracked his eyes opened.

The male tilted his head to a side with a hand on his hip. “I don’t think that there are two Do Kyungsoo in your university. Or do you happen to have a twin?”

Kyungsoo shook his head dumbly.

“I thought so. So there’s no way I mistook you for someone else.”

The male offered his hand to Kyungsoo. The latter looked at it for a while before he reluctantly accepted the offer. He slowly got up from the floor and let the other male dusted his shirt. Kyungsoo found himself blushing slightly.

“Go get what you came here for,” the male said but it sounded more like a demand.

“Eh?”

“Your groceries,” he emphasized. “You didn’t buy anything too last week, right? Go get them, I’ll be waiting.”

“Where are we going?”, Kyungsoo asked in confusion.

The male gave him a blatant look.

“We’re going to dinner. After all, we need to know each other before our marriage.”

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Kyungsoo stared with no interest at a bunch of people playing basketball.

He sat on the grass with a notebook neglected on his lap. Kyungsoo was supposed to finish his essay but his mind was elsewhere.

His mind was with Jongin.

Kyungsoo finally knew his name. The male had introduced himself when they were on the train. Kyungsoo ended up buying nothing in the minimarket because he was in a panic as Jongin was waiting for him with his sharp glare. He was terrified that if he made him wait too long the younger male would snap. So Kyungsoo just told Jongin he needed nothing.

Jongin was scary. The way he stared at people was the same with the way he glared at people. The way he arrogantly stood with his hands fished into his pockets made people think twice before looking back. And the way he wryly smiled...God, Kyungsoo really should stop thinking but Jongin was all he could ever think about since yesterday.

Despite his scary appearance, Jongin was actually attractive. The girls couldn’t help but steal glances at him even if he looked like a gangster. He was handsome and had nice features to support it all.

“Watch out!”

Kyungsoo snapped out of his trance to dodge a basketball just in time. He in his breath and held the notebook close to his chest.

“I’m sorry, Kyungsoo-ah!”, Yixing apologized as he ran closer to take the ball.

“It’s—it’s okay, it’s my fault anyway for spacing out,” Kyungsoo sighed as he pulled himself to stand up.

“Be careful,” Yixing threw him a sincere smile. “Oh, by the way, how’s Jongin?”

Kyungsoo felt a shiver went down his spine as the name was mentioned. “J—Jongin?”

“Yeah, Jongin,” Yixing raised his eyebrows and dribbled the basketball with one hand. “What do you think of him? He’s a good kid. Even though he’s younger.”

Kyungsoo deadpanned as his mouth went dry. “Um...”

“Lay!”, Kris shouted and Yixing waved a hand at him.

“Well, I should go back. Be careful on your way home, Kyungsoo-ah.”

Yixing ran back to his friends and Kyungsoo could only stare in shock.

Kyungsoo didn’t know how Yixing knew about Jongin. He didn’t even know that Yixing knew Jongin. Did Junmyeon tell him? They were in a relationship, surely Junmyeon would tell him everything...but wait, did that mean Junmyeon knew Jongin too?

They didn’t talk much last night. Well they did, though Jongin was the one who was doing all the talking while Kyungsoo either nodded to everything he said or ate in silence. It was funny to think that Kyungsoo didn’t even say yes to his proposal, but Jongin acted like he did.

Jongin had walked him home and said goodnight. Then as Kyungsoo crawled to his bed, he realized Jongin didn’t ask for his number. It kind of disappointed him and he didn’t know why. Well, there was always next time...

And just like what had happened previously, Jongin didn’t show up again for the rest of the week. It got Kyungsoo to think if Jongin had a double life or something. Maybe he was busy. Kyungsoo got busy, too. His assignments were piling up because winter break was near and somehow they took his mind off of him.

Kyungsoo was tired at the end of Tuesday when he spotted a note in his locker, but this time it was not anonymous.

I’ll be waiting by the entrance. –Jongin.

His tiredness was quickly replaced by nervousness. Kyungsoo leaned his back against the locker and bit his nail. Somehow the image of Jongin waiting for him brought a smile to his face. He could imagine the taller male standing by the gate, with his cocky, arrogant style and the girls—and the guys, too—would raise their eyebrows in interest as they passed by.

Kyungsoo slowly walked to said place and tucked a strand of hair behind his ear. His hands were cold and his heart started to beat faster at the sight of Jongin. His steps became heavy and he wondered if it was not too late to turn back. It was too late.

Jongin noticed him and gave Kyungsoo his trademark smirk.

“Give me your phone,” he said somewhat impatiently and Kyungsoo obeyed quickly. Jongin pursed his lips while typing something on the screen. A moment later his own phone rang and he handed Kyungsoo his phone back. “Now I know your number. We won’t be needing those notes anymore. Now let’s go.”

Kyungsoo felt his heart skipped a beat as he silently saved Jongin’s number as,

Him.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

They went to a movie that night.

Kyungsoo didn’t have a specific type when it came to movies, as long as the plot was fine, he was okay watching any genre. It had been a while since he had watched a movie—he used to watch movies frequently with his friends but now that most of them were in a relationship, they chose to watch with their partners. It was about drama mixed with politic, and to be honest Kyungsoo wasn’t really interested, but the other movies showing didn’t look too promising, so he agreed on Jongin’s choice.

They didn’t buy any drinks or popcorns so he almost died in boredom doing nothing but watch.

Halfway through the movie, Kyungsoo felt something heavy on his left shoulder. He held his breath, knowing that it was Jongin, and that the latter had fallen asleep. Kyungsoo tensed. He didn’t dare to move and he didn’t have a clue of what to do. Come to think of it, last week when they had dinner, Jongin looked tired, too.

He could smell the scent of Jongin’s shampoo and brushed his nose against his hair. It smelled nice. Jongin’s breath was steady, and it looked like he was really exhausted. Kyungsoo hesitated for a moment before finally reaching out to Jongin’s fringe and brushed them aside. He felt his heart fluttered as he did it and his lips trembled. The younger male looked so peaceful and innocent, even when his face was half hidden in the darkness. From the fringe, his fingers trailed down to Jongin’s cheek and it stayed there.

The movie wasn’t important anymore. He didn’t care if he didn’t catch the plot or the ending.

Kyungsoo had his eyes on Jongin, and Jongin only.

It was ten minutes before the movie was finished that he was finally able to withdraw his hand and gave Jongin a light pat on the arm to wake him up. Jongin jolted awake, blinked sleepily for a moment and yawned like nothing happened. Kyungsoo was grateful the place was dark or the other male could see his face turned crimson.

They went home straight after that.

Kyungsoo thought Jongin would call or text him, now that he had his number.

But none came.

Just like the rest of the week, Jongin never showed up (again).

Kyungsoo was so desperate to call him, or at least text him a message, but he selfishly wanted Jongin to do it first. He didn’t want Jongin to think that he was desperate or anything—even though he was. Well, not desperate per se...more like, Kyungsoo missed him. He blinked at that thought and he realized he actually did. He missed him a lot.

When he groaned in frustration—both at Jongin and his Tuesday’s three classess—his phone vibrated and Kyungsoo took the phone out nonchalantly. His eyes widened in surprise as Jongin texted him ‘The park in front of the mall, now.’

Instead of happy, Kyungsoo felt a bit angry. What did Jongin really think of him? Who did he think he was, appearing and disappearing as he liked? He could choose of not to come...but the feeling of wanting to was greater. Kyungsoo gave up and decided to follow his heart. Moments later, he found himself in front of the park which was flooded with people.

There seemed to be some sort of dance competition in the middle of the park and Kyungsoo looked around at the sea of people. Where could Jongin be or should he text him instead...?

“Kyungsoo-ah?”

Kyungsoo looked over his shoulder to find Junmyeon and Baekhyun. He swallowed thickly, not expecting to see them in such place and smiled. “Suho-hyung, Baekhyun-hyung. What are you doing here?”

“My fiance is here...somewhere,” Baekhyun frowned as he glanced around. “I should give him a call. Later, guys.”

“Oh,” Kyungsoo nodded as Baekhyun left. “His fiance...”

Junmyeon looked uncomfortable and bit his lower lip. Kyungsoo didn’t notice this. He was too busy staring at his phone, still having an inner battle about calling Jongin or not. It was when Junmyeon cleared his throat that Kyungsoo glanced up.

“Kyungsoo-ah,” he spoke. “It’s...it’s about Jongin.”

Kyungsoo’s eyebrows were raised. It was Yixing the other day and now it was Junmyeon. “Um...yes?”

“Well...you...you know, you can always...if you don’t like him...you can always say no.”

It took him almost ten seconds to realize what Junmyeon was talking about. An eerie silence consumed them and Kyungsoo reluctantly looked away. After a moment that seemed like forever, Kyungsoo opened his mouth to speak.

“I know...”

Junmyeon stared at him in a contemplative way. “I know it’s not my place to say anything... I just don’t want you to feel...burdened, you know? Just because he...he confessed to you the other day...”

Again, Kyungsoo replied quietly, “I know.”

Junmyeon pursed his lips as he found Kyungsoo’s shoes were quite interesting and continued talking. “You are pretty, Kyungsoo-ah. You should know that. You should be more...confident about yourself. You are a great person and I’m sure Jongin notices it...”

Kyungsoo’s grip on his phone got tighter.

“Well, I should go... Yixing is probably looking for me,” Junmyeon paused and squeezed Kyungsoo’s shoulder lightly. “See you around, Kyungsoo-ah...”

“Hyung...?”

“Yeah?”

“Thank you...”

Junmyeon smiled feebly. “You’re welcome. Oh hey, you should check the stage. The show’s about to start any minute now.”

They got separated after that. Kyungsoo gave in and called Jongin, but the latter didn’t pick up. He then saw Sehun and the others, but he was not really in the mood to join them. Right then, he just wanted to see Jongin. Kyungsoo gave up after the umpteenth time because Jongin was still not picking up and it suddenly became loud around him as the MC announced that the show was about to start.

The music started and Kyungsoo knew it would be pointless to make a call with all the loud noise. So he stood still and gave in to watch the show. Kyungsoo could hear everyone cheering and he narrowed his eyes to the dancers on stage.

It was a group of five and they all looked so damn professional as they danced to the music. One had bright auburn hair—if Kyungsoo was not mistaken, his name was Taemin, he was also a student at the university. Then he noticed a senior named Eunhyuk, an exchange student named Henry, a girl named Hyoyeon, and...

Kyungsoo had to blink twice to make sure.

...and Jongin.

Kyungsoo’s jaw dropped.

Jongin was there on the stage, dancing beautifully in rhythm with his friends. They were flawless—Jongin was flawless. Even though the beat of the music was fast, they managed to combine jazz and hiphop’s street styles perfectly—Jongin managed to dance perfectly. Their faces were serious, but Jongin his lip and flashed his trademark smirk—the girls screamed in the front row and Kyungsoo winced—as he spotted Kyungsoo.

He spotted Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo couldn’t stop staring as he covered his mouth with a hand. His other hand was still holding his phone and he started shaking. No matter where Jongin went, his eyes would go back to where Kyungsoo was. Jongin continued to make flawless moves and the group synchronized in perfection. Finally the dance ended with a pose and everyone looked so cool. The crowd cheered and applauded for the first performance as the group saluted at the audience and disappeared behind the stage.

The performance was beautiful.

No other performances were needed, Jongin’s group would surely win.

Kyungsoo’s brain reminded him to breathe. He gasped, regained his strength and turned to walk away. Kyungsoo didn’t know why he suddenly wanted to leave. He thought he had wanted to see Jongin, but he couldn’t face him at the moment. Kyungsoo just wanted to go away from there. He carelessly bumped into several people and apologized hastily.

“Do Kyungsoo!”

Kyungsoo got goosebumps as he heard his name was called and pretended not hearing anything.

“Wait, Hyung!”

Kyungsoo quickened his pace and tried to run, but it was impossible with the crowd.

“DO KYUNGSOO I TOLD YOU TO WAIT!!!”

Kyungsoo immediately stopped walking and looked over his shoulder in horror. Jongin grabbed his arm roughly the moment he stopped walking and he flinched in fear. It had caused some people to stare and Kyungsoo noticed Junmyeon and the others were nearby. The leader stared at them blankly but did nothing about it.

“I’m—I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo cried out in panic.

“You what?”

“I—I just...,” Kyungsoo felt like crying when Jongin snapped at him. “Jongin-ah, are you even serious with me?”

“What?”, Jongin frowned in astonishment. “What are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about this!”, Kyungsoo waved his hands in frustration. “You suddenly showed up out of nowhere, asking me to marry you, yet we have never talked or met normally like every other couple! I never know what you’re doing, you never called, you never texted me, and when you did show up, you just...did what you like and then you disappeared. And then you suddenly reappear again and it confuses me! If that’s your definition of ‘we need to know each other before our marriage’ and then I—“

“I’m only free every Tuesday,” Jongin intercepted his train of protests.

“Every—every Tuesday? What are you doing every other day? I—I don’t want us to be like this, I want us to be more like every other normal couple—“

“Do Kyungsoo.”

“What?”, Kyungsoo cried and his tears were threatening to fall. He hadn’t even finished his sentence.

“Does this mean you’ll marry me?”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened instantly as he looked at Jongin. His hands felt warm and he realized Jongin had been grabbing him the whole time. He tried to fight the urge to cry, but his feelings were mixed up and he bet Jongin saw his eyes glimmering, judging by his expression.

“I...”

“Please answer me.”

Kyungsoo almost sobbed out loud. He sniffed and dropped his gaze to their intertwined hands. Kyungsoo squeezed Jongin’s hand tightly.

“Jongin-ah...”

“Do Kyungsoo, will you marry me?”

Kyungsoo finally let a tear fell to his cheek and meekly nodded.

“...yes,” he whispered as an answer. “...yes, Jongin-ah.”

Jongin grinned in relieved as he pulled the older male into a bone crushing hug.

Do Kyungsoo was finally his.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

The moment Kyungsoo had said yes, Jongin had changed.

He called Kyungsoo whenever he could and sent him texts whenever he couldn’t call him.

Like Jongin had said, he was only free on Tuesday but there were times when he suddenly showed up in front of his house to take him on dates whether they’re on Saturday or Sunday nights. It turned out that he was studying business in the university while doing an on the job training at his family’s company. Plus, he was also dancing in his spare time. Jongin had to do it because his brother didn’t want to work at the company who only wanted to be a husband and a teacher. He had always wanted to be a professional dancer but now that Jongin thought about it, he might continue the family’s business while he opened a dance class. It might be fun.

Kyungsoo still didn’t know much about Jongin, but they were progressing. His hunch was right, he had seen Jongin once with Sehun and they were high school friends. Jongin had came to their university once (he had studied in a different place) and that was probably when he had fallen in love at the first sight with Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo was still unsure at first whether Jongin really fell for him or not—it could be Baekhyun...but he was finally convinced when Jongin gave him an angry look.

Sehun then about how Jongin was skinny, how he looked scary in a glance, how he was taller than him, he was protective (Jongin always held his hand whenever they were together) and that he was a professional dancer. Kyungsoo gasped and almost had a heart attack because dear God, Jongin was his type and he just realized it (Sehun realized this from the start, of course, afterall, he was the one who helped Jongin with the notes).

Jongin was staring deeply at Kyungsoo when they shared a bowl of ice cream.

Kyungsoo noticed the gaze his boyfriend-soon-to-be-husband-someday threw him. “Is there something on my face?”

“You’re pretty,” Jongin replied and Kyungsoo choked. He frowned as he handed him a glass of water. “I’m gonna say that a lot and you should get used to it, alright?”

He couldn’t utter a protest as he wiped his mouth with a napkin. “B—but I’m not...pretty... You know, if you’re really into someone pretty, are you sure you’re not...in love with Baekhyun-hyung...or Luhan-hyung...or Junmyeon-hyung?”

Jongin grimaced. “Baekhyun-hyung’s pretty, but I’m sure Chanyeol-hyung will kill me if he knows I say this. How do I know Chanyeol-hyung, you ask? I sometimes rap with Baekhyun-hyung’s fiance, he has a nice voice. Luhan-hyung, nah, Sehun’s too head over heels for him. He’s even willing to change nationality for their relationship. And as for Junmyeon-hyung...he is pretty, I guess? But Yixing is the best choice for him and I’m sure I’m not into ...”

“Oh,” Kyungsoo blinked innocently. “Wait, what, ?”

“...don’t tell me you didn’t know.”

“I had no idea. Junmyeon-hyung is your brother?”

“Older sibling. It’s okay. I get that a lot. We don’t look alike.”

“Ah...” Kyungsoo suddenly looked happy. “So I’ll have someone as pretty as Junmyeon-hyung to be my brother in law...”

Jongin cringed. “Yeah, whatever, don’t do this too often please, I sometimes get sick thinking that he’s too pretty. But yeah, he is. But, if you ask me, he’s not my type.”

Kyungsoo looked amused. “I get it, you’re not into . So who is your type, Jongin-ah?”

Jongin pinched Kyungsoo’s nose before pulling him forward.

“You, Do Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo felt a pair of lips pressed against his softly and instinctively closed his eyes.

“It’s you.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End.