What You Want [1/3]

What You Want

 

 

It hurts to know that someone you like isn’t going to like you back.

No matter what the reason is, it still stings when you know what you wish isn’t going to come true.

And Baekhyun understood this.

He knew that Kris only considered him as a brother.

Not more, nor less.

He knew things would end up like this, because he knew Kris had his eyes on Tao. He knew. He just knew.

Yet it still seemed to bore a hole in his heart, knowing that finally the relationship had gone public. Baekhyun was selfish for not wanting the world to know, but he noticed how happy Kris was, and he thought if it’d be best to just bury his feelings. Some people would just think to dust themselves and move on, but not with Baekhyun. It’s easier to be said than done. He’s had a crush on Kris since...well, it’s been too long he couldn’t even remember anymore.

“Kris and Tao are dating?”

Junmyeon threw Baekhyun a ‘you’ve got to be kidding me’ look.

“Baekhyunnie, you don’t have to sound so surprised, it’s not like they’re hiding it.”

“I—I know,” Baekhyun defended himself. “But still, I’m surprised that they admit it.”

“Why should not they admit it?”, Junmyeon stared at his friend with a frown.

“I didn’t mean it like that,” Baekhyun quickly said. “It’s good to know, though. Tao has been clinging to Kris forever and Kris has been spoiling Tao a lot. That’s all.”

Baekhyun said nothing else after that, his eyes wandered far away, but being his friend, Junmyeon knew exactly what the gaze meant.

“You like Kris,” he commented casually.

Baekhyun turned his head to Junmyeon so fast that he’s scared he’d break it. “Ex—excuse me?”

“You like Kris,” it was repeated.

“I—I do not.”

“You dislike Zitao.”

“Please, Hyung, I barely even talk to the boy,” Baekhyun said while glancing at his watch and faked an gasp. “Oh, I gotta go.”

“But we don’t have classes after this. I thought we’re going to the coffee shop?”

“Maybe not today, Hyung, I’m just not in the mood. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

Junmyeon was about to reply, but it didn’t seem like Baekhyun would listen anymore. The younger male hastily grabbed his things and walked away. Junmyeon only stared until Baekhyun was out of sight and shook his head.

“It’s too obvious, Baek.”

 

 

***

 

 

“Baek-hyung, you’re single, right?”

Baekhyun’s face went cold as ice as he glared at the person who just asked the question. Junmyeon shivered beside him at the deadly aura, but Kyungsoo, being innocent as always, only blinked, oblivious of the wrath gaze his hyung gave him.

“What do you want?”

“There’s a friend of mine...”

“No.”

“I’m not finished yet.”

“I said no.”

“But he’s really cute,” Kyungsoo whined. “Well he’s younger, but I think you guys will make a great couple. Now if only you’re willing to give him a chance—“

“How tall is he?”

“Eh...?”, Kyungsoo pouted and looked up, as if he’s gonna find the answer’s on the ceiling. “Um, I’m not sure, the same as me, I guess?”

“Not tall enough.”

Junmyeon absent mindedly listened to the conversation between his friends while flipping the magazine’s pages. If it was him who asked Baekhyun, he would get a scold right away, but because it’s Kyungsoo, Baekhyun couldn’t do it.

“Oh, so you do have a type,” Kyungsoo muttered. “What is your type, Hyung? Who knows I might be able to find one for you.”

“Instead of me, why not find one for yourself first? It’s not like you’re dating anyone.”

“My type is complicated that the chance of me finding that kind of guy is 1:1.000.000. Now what is your type, Hyung?”

Baekhyun was about to retort more, but he noticed the look Junmyeon gave him and growled. Kyungsoo didn’t mean any harm, he was sincere, or perhaps he’s just dumb.

“...he needs to be at least ten centimetres taller than me.”

Both Junmyeon and Kyungsoo widened their eyes in disbelief.

“...skinny.”

Junmyeon sighed and his eyes went back to the magazine. Baekhyun’s making it hard. Poor Kyungsoo.

“...kind hearted.

“...has milky skin.

“...mature.

“...has long legs.

“...perfect bangs covering the forehead.

“...caring.

“...loving.

“...has nice smile.

“...handsome.

“...he’s not gonna scold me when I make mistakes, he’ll tell it nicely.

“...he’s gonna get jealous if I’m close to someone else.

“...protective.”

“Okay, I get it,” Kyungsoo held both of his hands in the air. “You know, for a moment there, I thought you were describing Kris-gege, but only the first part though, the latters are what you normally expect in someone. For in a relationship.”

Baekhyun acted normal when Kris was mentioned, but inside his heart was pounding really hard. Was he that obvious?

“Find him a basketball player,” Junmyeon suggested. “If possible, a 190 cm one so that when they get married, they’re gonna have to buy a supersize bed.”

“Well, it’s kind of hard though, but I’ll try,” Kyungsoo crossed his fingers. “But for now, I’m gonna have to tell my friend that Baek-hyung thinks he’s not tall enough...”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes in reply.

 

 

***

 

 

Baekhyun’s phone beeped and he immediately reached out to it, feeling nervous.

His lips turned into a smile as he read the name of the sender, but then it faded. The male tossed the phone back to the carpeted floor and rolled on his stomach. He sighed deeply and buried his head in his arms.

I’m pathetic.

Kris can’t even reply without mentioning his boyfriend’s name nowadays.

Am I that easy to forget?

Kris has always been there for him and they were always together. It’s like whenever there’s Kris, there’d always be Baekhyun by his side. But when Tao arrived as the new exchange student, Baekhyun noticed that the flickers in Kris’ eyes were different. When it’s just the two of them, they’re always speaking in Chinese, both lost in their own world, forgetting Baekhyun—or the others—like nothing else matters.

Sometimes at moments when Baekhyun found himself missing Kris badly, he would still text the older male like usual, casually, calm, composed, and Kris would still be Kris, himself, caring, gentle, kind hearted, but with the mention of Zitao.

I’m watching a movie with Tao.

Have you eaten your lunch? Me and Tao are thinking of having Thai food tonight. Wanna join us?

Remember the belt that you said the color was unique? Tao thought the same and he just bought it. Really, you guys.

Baekhyun smiled bitterly and rolled on his back, covering his eyes with the back of his arms. He should stop wishing. Kris really didn’t have a thing towards him and he’s just gotta start accepting the fact.

“Hyunnie? Are you sick? Why are you sleeping on the carpet?”

Baekhyun cracked an eye open and stared at his mother. “I’m fine, Umma. Just tired.”

“Oh good, then it’s the perfectly time to chat.”

Baekhyun made a face and she carefully tiptoed so that she wouldn’t step on her son and sat on the edge of the bed. “Hyunnie, how old are you?”

“...did you forget, Umma?”

“I’m just lazy with numbers. Come on, how old are you?”

“...twenty.”

“Oh. Twenty years old, and I’ve never heard anything about a relationship from you.”

Baekhyun groaned. Not again. It was Kyungsoo and now it’s his own mother.

“How about I’m setting you up with a girl?”

“I’m not, interested, in girls, Umma.”

“Fine, how about a boy, then?”

“Oh my God, Umma, stop—“

“But I’m serious. There’s a friend of your father who has a really handsome son. And you guys kissed a lot when you were little.”

 Baekhyun coughed violently and straightened up to a sitting position. “K—kissed??”

“Well, I couldn’t help it, both of you were so cute and we took a lot of pictures. We said if one day you guys would get married, it would be okay.”

“W—what kind of parents are you, squealing when your son’s being kissed by another boy?”

“I’m gonna look for old pictures now,” his mother looked happy, ignoring her son’s protests and was about to walk out of the room when Baekhyun, blushing and facepalming, called her. “Yes, dear?”

“...I’m very picky. I have a type. Maybe it just won’t work if you’re setting me up with someone that’s not my type.”

“And an example of your type is...?”

Baekhyun’s eyes drifted back to his phone. “...at least he’s ten centimetres taller.”

She stared at her son for a minute before putting her hands on her hips. “Either you love yourself too much to be in a relationship, or you’re just very picky because you still can’t get over someone. Fine. I’m giving you two weeks to find someone you really like, someone your type, but when the time’s up and you’re still single, you’re getting engaged. Full stop.”

His mother slammed the door shut and left Baekhyun gawking.

Holy .

 

 

***

 

 

Junmyeon only blinked as he saw Baekhyun pressed the keys on his phone aggressively, bringing it to his ears, waiting for the call to be picked up, and ended up sighing in frustration.

“Are you alright?”

“Kyungsoo’s not picking up,” Baekhyun said in desperation as he felt he’s gonna burst out crying any minute.

“And why are you calling him?”

“Because...”, Baekhyun trailed off. “...because I’m going to need his help.”

“Oh.” Silence. “Why are you going to need his help?”

“I need to find a guy, dammit, Kyungsoo, pick up,” Baekhyun almost couldn’t take it anymore as Kyungsoo’s still not picking up for the umpteenth time. He threw the phone roughly into his bag. Lately the thing has been his object of anger and he kinda felt sorry for it. Baekhyun sniffed to his hand, trying to take a deep breath to calm him down.

“Hey,” Junmyeon said softly. “What’s wrong? You’re not being yourself. You know you can tell me anything.”

Baekhyun wiped his eyes and he felt grateful for having Junmyeon by his side all along. “My mother is setting me up. She’s giving me two weeks to find someone I like, or I’m getting engaged.”

“Oh dear. Do you have any idea who she’s gonna set you up with?”

“ With the son of my father’s friend...I guess.”

“Have you seen him before?”

“No...but my mother said we’ve...”, Baekhyun hesitated. “...played several times when we were little. I didn’t remember at all.”

“You don’t wanna try meeting him?”

Baekhyun’s mind flew to Kris and he immediately shook his head. “Just...maybe not now...”

Junmyeon observed his friend’s face for a while. “And by asking Kyungsoo to find you a guy, you wish for the engagement would be canceled?”

“I swear you ask the most annoying questions,” Baekhyun muttered but he answered anyway. “Anyone’s fine. He doesn’t have to be my type, as long as I have someone to show her and hopefully she’ll change her mind.”

You’re really making this hard, Baek.

“Well...”, Junmyeon pondered. “Have you tried asking Kris?”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened as he blushed. “K—Kris?”

“Yeah. He’s your type, I assume? He’s tall, handsome, caring and everything you’ve ever mentioned. And I’m sure he’d help you by pretending to be your boyfriend. You guys are close friends, afterall.”

Baekhyun bit his lip, feeling unsure of what his friend had just said. It sounded great, it was exactly what he had in mind, he was wondering if it would be awkward to ask such favor to Kris...

But...

“I—I can’t do that. It’s absurd.”

It’s mean.

“What would Tao feel about that?”

I’m not that low.

“I don’t want him to feel hurt.”

Junmyeon smiled approvingly at Baekhyun’s words and he patted the younger male’s back caringly.

Later that day, Baekhyun still wondered if he was making the right choice. But as he passed Kris and Tao making out in the corner, he knew that he’s right.

Because he didn’t want ruin the couple’s happiness.

 

 

***

 

 

Baekhyun had been spacing out a lot.

It’s been five days after he failed to contact Kyungsoo, and when Kyungsoo showed up in front of him, apologizing because he was in class and he couldn’t pick up the phone, Baekhyun didn’t feel like wanting to ask for a favor anymore. It’s like he just gave up.

So it’s nine days to go before having himself tied to someone he barely knew.

Baekhyun went to the library to work on his assignments because he knew he wouldn’t be able to focus at home. His mother had found the pictures she was talking about and giggling and squealing whenever she showed them to him. And Baekhyun was in denial but it turned out that she was right, they did kiss a lot, and why did his mother took a lot of pictures?

“I’m your first fangirl,” she said, unabashed.

He stretched out his hands and glanced at the clock. Baekhyun gasped at the time and he quickly shoved his books into his bag. He smiled when he recognized Jongdae, who was working part time in the library and nodded politely. Jongdae walked closer to him.

“Are you alone, Hyung? Where’s your other friend? You guys are usually together.”

Baekhyun’s lips twitched but his smile didn’t fade away. “He’s...busy with his date.”

“Ah,” Jongdae raised his brows. “Well, soon enough you’re gonna have one, too, and you’re gonna be too busy you won’t come to the library anymore.”

“Hopefully,” Baekhyun joked. They laughed and Baekhyun waved his hand before exiting the place.

His mood suddenly just dropped. Baekhyun was able to forget about Kris for the day, keeping his phone at the bottom of his bag—so he wouldn’t be able to reach it so easily and text Kris—helping Junmyeon with his experiment, and spending the rest of the day in the library. Jongdae was not the one to blame. He knew someone would ask the specific question to him sooner or later and in this case, it had to be Jongdae. And it brought Kris back to his mind.

Baekhyun hopped into the train, choosing to stand instead of sitting, even though there were a lot of vacant seats. He stared at his reflection on the window and spaced out. The train stopped several times at different stations. A lot of people went in and out, but Baekhyun stayed still at his position. He’s gonna drop off at the next station. The train started moving again, and as it came to a stop, Baekhyun could feel someone pressed against him but paid no attention, he thought it was just because everyone was aiming to exit the train. But something pressed again his pocket, though—

“Hey!!”

Baekhyun fully snapped to reality as someone slapped his shoulder hard and the person who was just beside him—he was wearing a cap—ran outside as soon as possible the moment the door slid open. He looked over his shoulder to see who was shouting—and slapped his shoulder, but quickly looked forward because the people behind him were pushing, causing him to almost stumble.

Someone caught him right on time by holding him from behind, an arm across his chest.

Baekhyun yelped as he held tightly to the arm, before finally regaining his balance.

“Are you alright?”

The voice was thick, and it was full with concern.

Baekhyun slowly let go of the arm—strangely, he felt comfortable holding it—and turned around. His eyes met what seemed to be a shirt’s collar and an exposed neck—a milky, smooth skin neck—before his eyes went up to meet the owner.

The guy was so tall that he had to lift up his chin to see him.

“You shouldn’t do that, you know,” the tall male frowned. “You’ve been spacing out, I noticed the guy, he was lurking on you. He’s been standing so near to you, I thought he’s a ert, but the moment I saw his hands moved to your pocket—hey, are you even listening?”

Baekhyun was too dazed by the tall male that he didn’t pay attention at all. He saw those lips moving, but the cloud was still hanging in his head. He was tired and his head was starting to throb.

“Go check if anything’s missing,” he said, but more like commanding.

“Check...what?”

“Your wallet,” the male said patiently. “I think he tried to steal your wallet or something.”

Baekhyun’s hand quickly went to his jeans’ pocket, and thankfully his wallet was still there. He quickly took it out and checked before sighing in relief. It seemed like nothing’s missing. It was not about the money, it was more like his cards and...

...his picture with Kris was in the wallet.

Baekhyun smacked his forehead and stared at the tall male.

“Th—thank you,” he whispered. “I—I’ll be more careful.”

Baekhyun bowed at the male before quickly walked away. The male was still not moving, his eyes were on Baekhyun, because the latter could feel the man’s eyes on his back. Baekhyun bit his lip and silently cursing himself. Stupid, stupid Baekhyun. Stupid. It took him quite a moment to realize that he was walking in the wrong direction. Baekhyun stopped and looked back, the male was already walking in the same direction as his, and he...God, he has such nice long legs.

“Did you forget something?”, the male asked with his brows furrowed, knowing that Baekhyun stop walking.

“M—my house is this way,” Baekhyun replied awkwardly and pointed to the other direction. “So, um...thank you once again.” He bowed once again before almost sprinting off.

“Wait.”

Baekhyun stopped and he also felt his heart almost stopped pounding. He felt scared for what’s coming, he thought the male’s gonna scold him once again for being careless. Instead the male combed his hand through his hair and sighed.

“I’m coming with you.”

“W—what?”

“It seems like you’ve got a lot on your mind,” the male continued to talk and pushed Baekhyun’s back so that he would start walking. “And I’m just gonna make sure you arrive safely at home.”

“N—no, it’s—it’s okay.”

“I’m not gonna do anything weird, I swear.”

“B—but—“

“Chanyeol,” he introduced himself all of a sudden.

Baekhyun blinked as Chanyeol smiled and it caused something to stir inside.

“B—Baekhyun,” he stuttered and gave up.

He let Chanyeol walked him home.

 

 

***

 

 

Baekhyun was attached (again) to his phone.

And Jumyeon was the first to notice.

The phone that had been a victim and which suffered from some anger issues, now was placed back dearly in his pocket. Whenever it beeped or vibrated, Baekhyun would take it, eyes glimmering, and Junmyeon noticed the little smiles he made.

It’s been going on for days but none of the others seemed to realize except Junmyeon, of course.

Baekhyun found Chanyeol to be...charming.

He would text Baekhyun out of the blue only to ask unimportant things, but that’s the thing, he made the shorter male of the two felt precious, that he got enough attention and that he’s important to the other person.

Like that one time when Chanyeol was in a coffee shop and he cheesily texted Baekhyun that if only he was there with him. Or the other time when the taller male sent him a picture of two different sweaters, simply asking which one would Baekhyun choose. And the constant greetings like ‘have a nice day’ in the morning, or ‘sweet dreams’ before going to sleep.

Baekhyun loved those little things.

It was somehow different from Kris’ texts, the way Chanyeol poured the attention to him.

Everyday, Baekhyun would keep his phone near, excited and nervous everytime it made a sound.

One day, Junmyeon just couldn’t hold it any longer. He needed to ask his friend.

“Baekhyunnie?”

“Hm?”, Baekhyun replied nonchalantly, eyes on the screen.

“Who’s the lucky guy?”

It got Baekhyun to divert his eyes from the electronic device in his hand to a very amused Junmyeon. “...you don’t know him,” with that, he went back to his phone.

“Is he tall?”

“...yeah.”

“Is he skinny, caring, kind hearted?”

“...yeah.”

“Does he has a nice smile? Does he has long legs? Is he handsome?”

Baekhyun puffed his cheeks annoyingly as he stared back at his friend.

“Why, are you jealous?”

“Ah, that reminds me, is he the easily to get jealous type?”

Junmyeon did his best to hide his smile while Baekhyun pursed his lips. “Come on, tell me, so you just wished and suddenly this guy popped out in your life? What made you attracted? Except for the fact that he has everything you’ve ever wanted, of course.”

Baekhyun brought the phone to his mouth and pressed it lightly.

“He’s...subtle.”

“Subtle?”

“I can’t think of any other word,” Baekhyun confessed. “I’ve only known him for...almost a week, I guess?”

“Hmm. Do you like him?”

“I—I don’t know. I’m not sure.”

“Well, does he like you?”

Baekhyun blinked for a moment. “I... I’m not sure either.”

“Hm,” Junmyeon tapped a finger on his chin. “Anyway, so you found someone. Are you planning on telling your mother?”

“Well...it’s only been a week...”

“And...?”

“A week is such a short time... Don’t you think it would be awkward if I ask him to pretend to be my boyfriend too soon like this? To make it worse, it’s just to meet my mother and tell her I don’t wanna get engaged?”

“You have a point,” Junmyeon nodded. “So what are you gonna do?”

“I’m not sure,” Baekhyun reluctantly said. “I’m not sure...”

But he was sure about not wanting to ruin this thing with Chanyeol.

 

 

***

 

 

Baekhyun had marked the calendar and in two days, he’s gonna have to face his fiance.

His feelings were mixed, he tried to say something to his mother, but she looked happy with the arrangements and he couldn’t say anything.

On the other hand, Baekhyun felt he’s getting more and more attached to Chanyeol. Whenever the tall male didn’t text him, he would feel worried and hyper, scared something bad happened to him.

That day, Chanyeol suddenly showed up in Baekhyun’s university, causing everyone to stare. Chanyeol was attractive, he was hot, his tall feature matched his long legs, and he was so fashionably stylish. The tall male texted him that he’s thinking of having dinner just the two of them and that he’s already in front of his university—way too obvious to show that he’s not taking no for an answer. Baekhyun showed up feeling a bit panic because he didn’t expect him to show up so suddenly like this—had he known, he would’ve dressed more properly. He got into the car and Chanyeol drove away.

His phone beeped and Baekhyun astonishingly wondered, who would text him? Beside Chanyeol of course.

Hyunnie, I didn’t know you’ve got yourself a boyfriend now. Congratulations.

Baekhyun went blank reading the text. It was from Kris. It took him five minutes to finally reply.

He’s not my boyfriend. We’re just having dinner.

Oh, it’s a date, then?

Baekhyun felt his flace flaming. A date?

“Who are you texting?”, Chanyeol asked bluntly, seeing Baekhyun spacing out with the phone in his hand.

“J—just a friend.”

“A close friend?”

“Um, yeah...”

“Oh,” Chanyeol fell silent as he turned right. “...is he the guy in your wallet?”

Baekhyun widened his eyes as he turned to Chanyeol. “How did you...”

“Just a hunch. No one would put their friend’s photo in the wallet unless they’re special. So, is he?”

Baekhyun didn’t answer because his mouth went dry. Lucky guess?

“Is Japanese food alright?”, Chanyeol suddenly asked again and Baekhyun nodded dumbly. “Great.”

Baekhyun held the urge to reply Kris’ text again after the awkward conversation, he kept his phone in the pocket and did nothing even when it beeped. He didn’t want Chanyeol to think of anything strange. Kris was merely...a friend, yeah, they’ve always been friends, nothing more. Just when they’re about to get off the car, Chanyeol cleared his throat.

“Hey, Baekhyun-ah?”

“Y—yes?”

“Take the photo out.”

“Eh?”

“I don’t want anyone else’s photo to be in your wallet. At least not when it’s just the two of you.”

“Oh,” Baekhyun meekly responded. “O—okay.”

Chanyeol made no move and Baekhyun swallowed nervously.

“N—now?”

“Now, please.”

Baekhyun slowly took the wallet from his bag—the wallet and the phone had switched places now—and opened it. He casted a glance at the old photo. It was taken a long time ago, and Junmyeon was the one who took the picture. It was a picture of him and Kris, with the Chinese-Canadian male’s arm wrapped around Baekhyun’s shoulder protectively, and Baekhyun with a wide smile. He forgot when was the last time he smiled like that. Baekhyun carefully grabbed the photo and Chanyeol immediately snatched it.

“I’ll leave it here, so when you want to see the photo, you’re gonna have to come see me,” Chanyeol put the photo in the dashboard.

Baekhyun was a bit confused but he didn’t say anything.

“I’m jealous, you know,” Baekhyun heard the male muttered under his breath and it brought a blush to his face. “Let’s go eat. I’m really starving!”

With that, Chanyeol got off the car, leaving Baekhyun no chance to ask what he just meant.

 

 

***

 

 

It was the last day.

Baekhyun didn’t feel like eating, he ignored the breakfast his mother made him and decided to left early to the university. When he was about to leave, his mother called his name and asked if he’s okay.

Of course he’s not okay.

He’s gonna get engaged with someone he doesn’t know.

Yet Baekhyun smiled at his mother and nodded. He didn’t want her to be worried.

But it was killing Baekhyun inside and he skipped classes for the day. When Junmyeon found him sleeping under the tree, hidden behind the bushes, the same place where Baekhyun usually went when he didn’t want to be bothered, he deliberately sat on the grass. He cleared his throat to let him know that he’s here.

“You know,” Junmyeon started. “You really should talk to the guy.”

“About what?”, Baekhyun mumbled sleepily with his eyes still closed.

“About pretending to be your boyfriend so that you won’t have to get engaged tomorrow.”

Baekhyun groaned. “I don’t want to scare Chanyeol.”

“Oh, is Chanyeol his name?”

The sleeping male finally opened his eyes and hit Junmyeon softly. “Don’t make fun of him.”

“But I’m not. Wow, I must be the first person to know his name,” Junmyeon grinned. “So, uh...you’re really gonna go with the engagement?”

Baekhyun rolled to his side and covered his eyes with an arm from the blinding sunrays. “...yeah...”

They were quiet for a moment before Junmyeon finally let out a sigh. “Okay. But if you don’t mind, as a friend, I really want you to think about it, Baekhyunnie, because even if it’s your decision... I don’t want you to be unhappy and regret your choice for the rest of your life.”

“What decision?”

Both Junmyeon and Baekhyun were surprised by the voice.

Kris emerged suddenly, sending Baekhyun to straighten up right away. The latter then brought his knees to his chest awkwardly, avoiding Kris’ gaze and shaking his head. Junmyeon pressed his lips into a thin line, refusing to say a word.

The situation was then saved by Tao who appeared behind Kris.

“Whoa, you’re right, Gege, they’re really here!”

Baekhyun looked up at Zitao who flashed a happy grin at them and slowly smiled. The youngest between them all had his hand on Kris’ arm possessively. “What’s up?”

Kris placed a hand on his forehead, rubbing it slightly. “Um... Tao wants to go clubbing.”

None of them said a word, except for Tao who bounced and nodded in enthusiasm.

“Uh...”, Junmyeon scratched his head. “...and the reason you told us that was because...”

“I’m asking you guys to go with us,” Kris smiled sheepishly. “I’ve asked Kyungsoo and Sehun too and they’ve agreed. The more the merrier?”

“Hm,” Baekhyun pondered. “It sounds fun. I’m going.”

“B—but—“, Junmyeon stared at him, wide eyed. “Tomorrow’s you’re gonna...”

“Which is exactly why I need to have fun tonight,” Baekhyun gave him a silencing look. “And you’re gonna have to go too, Suho, because I’m gonna tell my mother that I’m going with you. She trusts you more than she trusts myself.”

“Great! It’s settled then!”, Kris spoke and Tao cheered happily.

Junmyeon could only sigh in defeat.

To be honest, Baekhyun didn’t like clubbing either. He couldn’t even find the meaning of ‘having fun’ in the said place. Later that night, when Baekhyun told his mother that he’s gonna go to a club, her eyes bulged like they’re going to pop out and she was about to rant, but the moment her son said Junmyeon’s coming with him, her eyes softened and she nodded approvingly.

“Suho is a responsible friend,” she commented somewhat proudly.

So there it went. Kris and the others dropped by his house and picked him up. When he’s still on the way to the club, Chanyeol suddenly texted him, and Baekhyun innocently replied telling him where he’s going.

It became a series of questioning texts after, even when Baekhyun was already in the club and all of his friends—except Junmyeon and Sehun, who preferred sitting by their reserved table and have a drink—were already in the dance floor, Baekhyun was still typing something to reply the text.

“Hey, is everything okay?”, Junmyeon asked.

“I—I’m not sure,” Baekhyun chewed his inside cheek. “Chanyeol—Chanyeol seems...”

“You told him we’re going here?”

“Yeah...”, Baekhyun looked worried. “Is—is it not okay?”

“I can’t say that for sure, I mean, I don’t even know this guy,” Junmyeon frowned. “What else did he say?”

“Um...”, Baekhyun ran a hand through his hair and it stayed there, revealing a perfect view of his forehead. “Um...there’s a lot...”

A waitress came to their table with a tray full of drinks. She put the drinks one by one on the table and after winking at Sehun, she walked away. Sehun didn’t look interested at all.

“Oh, I need a drink,” Baekhyun quickly grabbed to a glass of water and finished it in a single gulp.

“Hyung!!”, Sehun stared at him in horror. “Th—that’s—“

“What?”, Baekhyun frowned. “Ugh. The water tastes weird.”

“That’s because it’s not water!”

“Oh good God, who ordered it?”, Junmyeon went panic. “Baekhyun can’t even stand a glass of soju!” The youngest male sprinted to the bar to get the real water.

“Hey,” Kris appeared with a smiling face and grabbed Baekhyun’s hand. “Come on, you’re gonna have a dance with me.”

Baekhyun didn’t hear Junmyeon and Sehun’s protests as he let himself be dragged to the dance floor by Kris. Their hands laced together, and the familiarity resurfaced. But instead of the longing feeling, Baekhyun felt...strange. They made it to the dance floor, where Tao and Kyungsoo were dancing and laughing and it was obvious that they were enjoying it. Baekhyun only stood there, feeling something funny rushed to his head, when he saw Kris moved closer to Tao and the latter wrapped his arms around Kris, touching their noses together.

They were so perfect, the way Kris stared at Tao, and the way Tao fit in Kris’ arms even though their height difference wasn’t much.

Baekhyun felt dizzy.

Kyungsoo was the first to notice something was wrong.

“Hyung?”, he half shouted. “Are you alright?”

Baekhyun felt his eyes were b with tears as he came to a conclusion that he missed Chanyeol.

“Hyung?”, Kyungsoo touched his shoulders. “Hyung, are you alright?”

“I...I like Chanyeol,” Baekhyun sniffed. “I...I like him...”

“Chanyeol? Who is Chanyeol, Hyung?”

“He’s everything I’ve ever wanted,” Baekhyun continued, hiding his face in his hands. He felt so vulnerable. “He’s tall...he’s kind hearted...he has milky skin...he’s skinny...”

Kyungsoo had a hard time listening due to the blasting music and to make it worse, Baekhyun was muffled behind his hands.

“I... I want to see Chanyeol so bad...”

“Baekhyun.”

Despite the fact that the room was loud, people around them were cheering and dancing carelessly, not giving a damn about what happened around them, the voice was thick, it was deep, and it was loud enough to make the four of them turned to the source.

“Ch—Chanyeol?”, Baekhyun whispered in disbelief. His head was surely funny, seeing Chanyeol just because he said so.

“Let’s go home,” Chanyeol said sternly and pulled Baekhyun closer to him.

“My head hurts,” Baekhyun mumbled.

“It’s okay, I’ll carry you,” he said as Baekhyun blinked sleepily and immediately fell asleep in his arms. Or fainted, to be exact.

“Y—you’re tall,” Kyungsoo said without thinking as he gaped over Chanyeol’s feature. “You’re—you’re Baek-hyung’s type.”

Chanyeol gave him a smile and nodded politely.

“Hey,” Kris put a hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder and the other male narrowed his eyes on him, but Kris wasn’t sure what it was, either it was hatred, or...

...jealousy?

“You’re...”

“I’m his fiance,” Chanyeol stated.

The three of them froze as Chanyeol walked away, carrying a sleeping Baekhyun in his arms.

 

 

***

 

 

Baekhyun woke up with a headache.

He blinked rapidly to adjust his eyes with the surrounding—he was in his own bedroom—and instinctively reached for his phone. He stared at the screen with a frown. No text messages. No missed calls. Baekhyun took a deep breath before releasing it and stared at the ceiling. There was a knock on the door and a second later, it swung open and his mother walked inside.

“Good morning,” she softly said. “How are you today?”

Baekhyun didn’t say anything. His head was still dizzy.

“Chanyeol brought you home last night,” his mother said as she opened the curtains. “He seems lovely.”

“Ch—Chanyeol?”

“Yes. He told me that you didn’t feel well and you passed out.”

Baekhyun palmed his face in embarassment. So Chanyeol was the one who brought him home. So it wasn’t a dream. He did come to the club last night. Something clenched in his heart and he felt a pang.

“I like him,” she commented.

I like him too, Umma.

“So...go get ready. After you’re done, we’re going to welcome your fiance and his family.”

She pecked Baekhyun’s forehead and smiled encouragingly. His mother left the room and Baekhyun stayed still on his bed. He wished to scream, to shout that he didn’t want all of this, but instead nothing came out, but the tears that were threatening to fall. Baekhyun finally got off the bed, heading to the bathroom, and cried while the cold droplets of water fell on his skin.

He sobbed, his breath was ragged, and he couldn’t stop crying. Chanyeol was all he could think about.

Even after Baekhyun was done taking the shower and dressed up, his eyes were red and the dried tears were obvious. He covered it by applying eyeliner, wishing no one would notice. After a moment that seemed like forever, he heard his mother calling his name, telling him to go down, to meet the family.

Baekhyun took a deep sigh, dusting his shirt, even though it wasn’t dirty at all.

With all the courage he had, he sent a text to the tall male.

I’m scared, Chanyeol.

Baekhyun then walked out of his bedroom slowly, hearing laughter and joyful giggles downstairs. The voices were more than two, so his fiance’s family must’ve arrived. Baekhyun was walking downstairs when his phone vibrated and he stopped on his track, reading the reply.

There’s nothing to be scared about.

Baekhyun bitterly smiled and was about to put the phone back to his pocket, when it vibrated once again.

I’m the one who’s gonna marry you.

It caused a gasp and Baekyeol covered his mouth with a hand. He was still halfway down when he spotted Chanyeol at the end of the stairs, with a phone in his hand.

Chanyeol was smiling.

“Byun Baekhyun.”

The whole family stopped talking as they stared at the scene, and Baekhyun heard his mother squealed.

“Will you marry me?”

Baekhyun cried a yes as he stormed down and flew right into Chanyeol’s arms.

 

 

 

 

 

 

End.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So you’re the one who kissed me when I was little?”

Chanyeol coyly smiled.