Chapter Thirty Seven

Between Betrayal and Lust

'Where have you been?' Heechul asked Yesung.

'Just took a small trip.' Yeye shrugged.

Wookie entered, filling up his battling belt with potions.

'Done?' Heechul inquired.

Wookie nodded.

A sly smirk appeared on Heechul's face.

'What did you do?' Yesung turned to Wookie.

'I just had a little fun with a Choi earlier.'

Yesung analysed his aura and stiffened a bit. Heechul's influence on Ryeowook was enormous and not good.

 

'How's the scar?'

'Itching.'

Sungmin was worried out of his mind. Hyuk should have arrived already, why wasn't the issue solved yet?

'Min?'

'Kyu?'

'What is it like to be a vampire?'

'That isn't easy to answer.'

'Take your time.' Kyu was enjoying hearing the other's heartbeat near his ear and to have his hair . He got over his fear for Sungmin it appeared. At the beginning he had been frightened, he still shivered as he thought of those fangs against his neck like he had done the day when they tested Hae. But recently and especially after Alignment day, he felt completely at ease with the vampire.

'A part of me likes the power, the freedom, the bond with my clan.'

'But?'

'It would have been nice to be a human and lead a normal life. Find someone to love and grow old together.'

'Vampires can love!' Kyu said.

Sungmin sighed. He rested his head against the wall.

'Minnie? You guys can love, right?'

'It just always ends up in disaster, it's better that we don't.' Min said.

Kyu quickly turned around in Min's embrace. Kneeling in between Min's spread legs. He cupped the older's face. 'Don't you dare give up on love.' Kyu hissed. He scanned the other's sad expression and before he could stop himself, he leaned in and pecked those lips.

 

All the hunters except for Jessica were still attacking the double shields. Jessica was just trembling and sobbing, not able to take it anymore.

'Keep attacking them, damn it!' Yunho ordered.

'I can't, I just still see him as he always was to me.' She cried out, lowering her sword completely now.

Pain flashed over Yunho's face but he recovered rapidly. 'I know it's hard but this is how it's meant to be.'

Hyuk felt the attacks draining him. He powered up two fire balls, ready to launch them.

'Hyukkie....please.' Hae said weakly.

Hyuk froze at the desperation in the other's voice.

'What do you want me to do, Hae? Their hits are costing us energy, look at you, you can barely stand.' Hyuk screamed.

'Just, just don't hurt them. They still mean a lot to me.' Hae said.

'So I should let them kill us?'

Hae froze. 'No!' The thought of Hyuk dying was unbearable.

'Then what?' Hyuk sighed.

Hae fell to his knees. Please, someone, anyone, God, help me. I don't know what to do anymore.

'Hae!' Hyuk yelled as he saw the boy falling down.

'Concentrate on the shield.' Siwon yelled. He himself tried to create an illusion but it had been days since the last time he fed and he was too weak to go up against so many strong opponents. He was thinking about his next move. I should focus on one person. He scanned the hunters. Not Jessica, she's no threat right now. He saw Krystal looking worriedly at her sister. She's not paying attention either. So I should go for one of the boys. He chose to go for the gunman.

'What the hell is that?' Changmin cried out as he started to aim to the side and shot at something in the air.

Yunho looked up confused. 'What are you shooting at? Keep your eyes on the vamps, damn it!'

Hae was forcing himself to keep the shield working, he saw Hyuk building up fire again and he strained himself by conjuring flickering shields around the four hunters.

The hunters were startled, thinking they were trapped but realised quickly what Hae had done.

'He's beyond exhaustion!' Siwon panicked as he saw how badly Hae was shaking now.

'Hae, stop it!' Hyuk yelled in desperation. He shot a couple of fire balls towards Yunho. But half of them were destroyed by Hae's weak shield around Yunho and the rest of them were dodged. One of them brushed against Yunho's shoulder and he screamed in pain as he felt it burn.

Their brother being attacked made Jessica and Krystal attack fiercely once again.

 A water patch appeared over Yunho's burn and attached itself on it. 'You can heal?' Yunho raised an eyebrow and looked at Hae.

'How powerful are you exactly?' Changmin asked.

'I-I don't know...please stop fighting.' Hae said.

Hyuk was enraged seeing his water handler healing the hunter. He started shooting fire everywhere.

Hae's shields kept them from getting too hurt.

'Hae, seriously, stop it!' Hyuk roared.

'Not until everyone stops attacking!' Hae screamed with all of his heart. He saw how Hyuk was suffering. I need more power, I need more to protect them all. I want them all to be safe! Suddenly sapphire rays were coming from everywhere...from the trees, the bushes, the flowers, the grass, even from the animals. The rays all concentrated towards Hae.

'What the is happening?' Changmin cussed.

Everyone stared at Donghae. The boy was glowing in a sapphire light. His eyes never had been brighter. Because of his pure heart, nature had answered his silent, desperate call and the trees, flowers and such had willingly shared some of their life force, some of their water with the water handler. All the shields powered up, bathing everyone in sapphire. Hae stood up, he was completely empowered now.