Chapter One

Between Betrayal and Lust

This story goes back to the age when three main vampire families ruled the world. Most humans had no idea they even existed. They hid their special needs and talents quite well for centuries. But just like mankind, greed found its ugly way into the slowly beating hearts of the vampire nation. Each of the families wanted to monopolise the situation.

The Lee family, known for its speed and manipulation of the natural elements was the oldest lineage of them all.

The Kims were a larger family and possessed the power of magic.

The Choi family was quite small but very dangerous with their mind games.

Next to these three main branches there were also smaller groups of vampires who's tree had been wiped out already. They usually work as hired forces for one of the three.

The powers weren't given to just any vampire. When someone with a power died, within the next generation a child would be born with that special power hidden deep within him. Only at the awakening it would come clear who possessed what power. During the awakening, all memories and knowledge from the previous owner would be lit up in the mind of the newbie, leaving the vampire confused and desorientated. A very vulnerable time indeed...

Therefore it has to be understood that 'family' in the vampire world wasn't a blood or genetic connection. It was their powers that linked one to another.

 

 

'Have you found him yet?' Heechul tapped his foot impatiently.

'Hyung, my senses aren't fully functional yet.' Yesung complained.

'Aish, we have been searching for months now!' Kangin added.

'Guys, one of the Lee's hasn't awakened yet. We seriously need to find this one and end him so we can cease the power once and for all.' Heechul declared.

'Even Hyoyeon hasn't had a prediction. We can't exhaust Yeye.' Ryeowook sighed.

 

Donghae must be the most oblivious creature on this planet. He just lived his life happy and carefree. He got up in the morning, went to school, met up with friends and played football like most teenagers. He was so busy with being his popular self that he didn't see the little things that didn't add up. The disappearances around him, his obsession with anything red, the migranes, the fascination with fish and the sometimes devastating loneliness he felt.

Donghae grew up in an orphanage. Parents, family...unknown. His entire life he only depended on himself. To the superficial eye he was Mr. perfect. He had good grades, did well at sports, loved music and dancing... If you looked a little closer you'd see the social ineptness, the void that was reflected in his eyes... Donghae's eyes were his strongest feature. The good looking boy could melt you down with one look. His eyes drowning you, pulling you in. It were those eyes that melted Cho Kyuhyun's cold heart within a second. One look was all it took for the boys to mentally click and they became best friends.

'Ya, fish, stop dreaming and help me carry this stuff.' Kyu yelled at his friend.

Hae looked up and smiled sweetly. He took some bags. 'What is all this?'

'Since we have a long weekend, I rented some DVDs and video games, I'll teach you how to lose with some dignity.' The younger smirked.

Hae laughed. 'As long as you ask your umma to cook for us!' Hae loved the warmness of Kyu's family. They welcomed his presence with open arms. Never questioning why he would sometimes spend the night. Kyu's umma would silently shove some clothes towards Hae and pack him some home made lunches.

 

Hae was lying on Kyu's bed, staring out the window, watching the rain dance against it.

'What are you thinking about?' Kyu asked.

Hae smiled softly. 'About how lucky you are.'

'Why?'

'You belong somewhere.'

'Hae...'

'I know, sorry, didn't mean to mood swing all near you.'

Kyu hugged his friend tight. 'Don't worry, just be yourself. Promise me to never lie to me.'

'Hey we are blood brothers, remember?' Hae said, showing Kyu the scar on his wrist knowing the latter had the same one.

 

'Hyuk, the Kims are up to something.' Sungmin said.

'I know, Min. And seriously, we can't let them succeed.'

'Why is this last one so hard?'

'Hard? Slow you mean. Just all we needed, a slow water handler. Why won't the idiot wake up?' Hyuk was pacing in the Lee mansion, frustrated to the bone. The fire inside him flickering. 

'Calm down, monkey.' Onew said from the corner of the room.

'Oh come on. What kind of moron needs 4 decades longer to wake up than the average low breed vampire?'

'Maybe he's scared?' Sunny said.

'Sweety, the person doesn't know his destiny yet.' Amber said.

'Maybe he's extra special.' Taemin said softly.

'Yeah like in special education material.' Hyuk snorted.