20

Find Your Way [Epilogue Coming Soon]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I’ve been thinking baby…” Donghae said, sitting up in the bed beside me.

Crap. Here it goes. I swallowed the lump in my throat. He’s going to give me the ditch. It’s been two weeks, he’s sick of me being so clingy all the time. He wants me to move out. Or worse.

There went my over reactive mind again.

“… And it’s only just occurred to me that we’ve never been on an official date.” He finished.

Phew.

“But we had lunch in the park.” I said, remembering only three days ago, Donghae had bought us pasta from a cute little restaurant by the park, and we took it to go, eating it by the side of the pond. It was so romantic.

“Spur of the moment.” He shrugged. “Doesn’t count.”

“We took Choco to the dog park.” I reasoned. We had gotten ice cream afterwards (Well, Donghae had. I stuck to melon sorbet), surely that had counted as a date.

“Choco was third wheeling,” He said matter-of-factly. “So it also doesn’t count.”

I rolled my eyes. How can a dog be a third wheel on a date?

“What about when we went shopping at the mall only yesterday?” Donghae picked out several new blazers, ties, shoes and shirts. I had left with only a new hat and some fancy-schmancy cologne, but was happy all the same. Donghae lead me from store to store, throwing clothes and money at me, and never letting go of my hand the entire time.

“No, Hyukjae, I mean a real date.” He said, finding my hand and entwining our fingers. I smiled shyly.

“Those were real dates.” I argued. He really didn’t need to go through the hassle of arranging an official evening for the two of us. I was happy already. We could wine and dine like a regular couple another time.

Besides, we weren’t really a regular couple anyway.

“Well then, that settles it.” He smiled at me. “Are you free tonight?”

“No,” I said sarcastically. “Unlike every other night since I’ve been here I was actually planning to go out with all the other boyfriends I’m currently seeing.”

He nudged me slightly with his elbow.

“I have to spend today at the office,” He said. “But I should be back around five-ish. I’ll pick you up then.”

Pick me up? Wow. This is an actual date.

“Where are we going to go?” I asked him, liking the idea more and more.

He leaned in, pressing his lips behind my ear. I shivered at the feeling of his hot breath on my neck.

“That’s for me to know and for you to find out later.” He whispered.

 

Donghae left for work, kissing me before getting into his car.

“Have a good day!” I called to him and waved eagerly. He smiled, blowing a kiss to me and driving through the gates, which automatically closed behind him.

I spent the day practically jumping all around the house like a monkey on drugs.

Donghae’s taking me on a date! On a real date!

I flopped back onto our bed, squirming on top of the covers, smiling to myself in excitement.

I wonder where he’s going to take me.

Donghae hadn’t specified, but knowing him it was going to be a night I would never forget.

Will he take me to a fancy restaurant? Will he take me somewhere small and cosy? Will he keep it simple or be the totally over the top romantic I think he is.

Whatever he had planned, I couldn’t wait.

 

After lunch, I took almost an hour picking out what I was going to wear.

Should I wear something formal? Casual? What if he wanted to go bungee jumping or something, what would I wear then?

A voice, very similar to Donghae’s echoed in my head.

“You look amazing no matter what you wear Hyukkie.”

Yep. Donghae would definitely have said that.

 

Choosing wisely from my limited selection of clothes, I decided on a pair of plain black skinny jeans, V-neck shirt and dark blue blazer. I laid my clothes out on the bed, looking at my reflection.

Better take a shower. I decided.

 

By the time I had showered, dressed in my outfit and blow-dried my hair, It was half past four.

Donghae will be home in half an hour.

I calmed myself, feeling my body tingle with excitement and headed downstairs.

I guess I’ll watch some television until he gets here.

 

I settled myself on the couch, still fiddling with my hair and smelling the strong scent of cologne which Donghae had bought me.

Is it too strong? Is my hair sitting perfectly? Does my breath smell funny?

Butterflies flittered around in my stomach.

I suddenly realised this was the very first date I’d been taken on. Sure, I’d taken Hyoyeon out on occasion, (meaning when I could actually afford to) but she had never come to pick me up and take me out on a romantic evening.

I guess that’s just the kicks of having a boyfriend like Donghae.

I tried to focus on the police show, which was playing on the television while my eyes kept checking the time every five minutes. The second the clock hit five, I stood up, pacing the kitchen area.

He’ll be here any minute.

I felt like a school girl waiting for her prom date to arrive.

 

Five. Quarter past five. Half past five. Quarter to six.

Still no Donghae.

I sat on the couch, feeling the emptiness in my stomach from hunger.

I really hope he gets here soon. And that he’s taking me somewhere with excellent food.

The butterflies had worn off. It was half past six and the sun had gone down. I’d watched it through the window, still waiting for Donghae to come home to take me on what I had hoped would be the date of the century. My ears continued to play tricks on me, hearing the sound of a car nearby and thinking it was the sound of Donghae pulling into the driveway.

I flicked on the light after the living room had gone completely cloaked in darkness.

He better have a pretty good excuse.

It was almost seven o clock. I still hadn’t heard anything from Donghae.

My disappointment quickly dissolved into worry.

What if he’s hurt? What if something happened? What if his car flipped on the highway?

What ever was the case, I began to feel the butterflies in my stomach once again.

I checked my phone for messages. Donghae had left nothing. I knew something was wrong, Donghae would have called if he was stuck in the office later than expected.

“Donghae where are you?” I muttered.

 

Just then, my phone rang on the couch next to me. I pounced on it, seeing the caller ID as: Hae.

“Donghae?!” I almost screamed into the phone.

“Hyukkie.” His voice sounded quiet. “I’m so sorry. I-.”

“Donghae, where are you?!” I said, standing to my feet. “What’s wrong? Where are you? Are you okay?!”

I blurted in a state of sheer panic.

“Hyuk, I’m sorry.” He repeated. His voice sounded strained. “I’m in Japan.”

“Japan?!” I clarified. “What happened? Why are you in Japan?!”

“Calm down Hyukkie.” Donghae’s voice croaked over the phone under the sound of my own heavy breathing. “I was flown over earlier this morning. We had an emergency over here. I’m so sorry. I couldn’t say no. Then I went to call you but I left my phone on the plane. I only just had it brought to me.”

“O-oh.” I said. So he’s not coming to pick me up tonight. I felt a pang of disappointment.

“I’m sorry about our date.” He sighed. “I really am.”

“Don’t worry about it.” I tried to hide the warble in my voice, feeling tears in my eyes. I felt pathetic all dressed up and excited about going out.

“No, I should worry.” Donghae pressed on. “I’m such a terrible boyfriend.”

“You’re not terrible!” I said, meaning every word of it. “It’s not your fault you have to work. It’s okay, honestly. We can go out another time.”

“Well we aren’t going to.” Donghae said firmly.

“What?” I asked. “I-I don’t understand.”

“I sent a driver over.” Donghae said. “He should be there in about ten minutes to take you to the airport.”

“What?” I repeated.

“Assuming my pilot is good to go, I’ll see you in about two and a half hours.” He said, I could hear the smile in his voice. “Don’t forget to feed Choco before you leave, and pack pyjamas. We won’t be flying back until tomorrow morning.”

“Are you seriously going to-.”

“Everything’s been arranged.” His warm laugh rang over the phone. “See you later baby. Love you.”

“Donghae, wait-.”

The line clicked dead.

I let out a small breath, pocketing my phone.

Aish, that boyfriend of mine.

 

I barely finished pouring an extra amount of Choco’s food into her bowl when the sound of the doorbell buzzing was heard. I threw the bag onto the ben

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter