1

Find Your Way [Epilogue Coming Soon]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stepped up to the railing of the bridge, feeling my stomach drop as I leaned over the edge, gazing down at the drop below. I wiped the last of my tears from my eyes, and slowly put my leg over the barrier.

Don’t turn back now Hyukjae. I warned myself, stepping down onto the ledge on the other side of the bridge, clutching to the railing behind me. Cars whizzed past behind me, none even bothering to stop though there was a guy leaning over the edge about to end his life.

“Society is ed.” I mumbled to myself, breathing rapidly at the sight of the rocks below.

I wouldn’t turn back. There was nothing to turn back for. Nothing left for me to return to. I had lost my job, even though I hated it. I lost my apartment, I had lost the support of my family and I had even lost the love of my life.

I don’t even want to live in a world without her. My heart ached as I dared to remember the look on her face when she told me to leave. Coming home to the news that she was leaving me for a guy she had been cheating on me with. And you know what the sad thing is? I wasn’t even angry at her. I loved her more than life itself. I would do anything to get her back.

I had honestly wanted to end my life for maybe, three or four months? Really ever since I had sensed she’d been slipping away. But I clung to her, almost begging her not to leave me, but that had pushed her further away from me. Sure, I hated my job. I was harassed and insulted almost everyday by my colleagues, but it had always seemed to be worth it when I came home to her.

I felt the wind biting into my face, forcing tears from my eyes. I clenched my teeth together allowing tears to pour shamelessly from my eyes. I gripped the railing behind me.

At that moment, rain slowly began to fall. Not a dramatic downpour like in the movies, but just a light drizzle. The coldness seeping through my shirt was almost comforting.

You can do it Hyukkie. I urged myself. One step, and it’s all over. No more pain.

Would it hurt? Would I even feel the impact of the rocks below me?

I in a deep breath. Maybe I’m not ready to do this.

“Please don’t do it.” I heard a voice call behind me.

 

I craned my head over my shoulder to see a man,

standing on the gravel behind me. I eyed the man, with neat brunette hair, and dress pants and shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

For a second, I thought maybe I knew him, and he was here to bring me home. No, I had no idea who this stranger was. I ignored him, turning back to the ocean in front of me. What is his problem?

I saw a pair of hands settle on the rail beside me.

“Please. Let me help you.” This time, his voice could be heard clearly, making me shudder slightly.

I turned to him, ignoring the tears still streaming down to my chin and my runny nose.

“ off.” I snapped, turning away from the man.

“I don’t know what happened to make you want to do this.” His voice sounded sincere. “But please, don’t do this. Talk to me. I’ll listen.”

Those words somehow reached me, almost making me reconsider my attempted suicide.

But then I remembered, he doesn’t know me. He has no idea who he’s talking to. This guy was nobody. Just another face in a world who didn’t give a about Lee Hyukjae.

“My name is Donghae.” he said after a while, his voice coaxing me out of insanity.

“Lee…” I sniffled slightly, trying not to look like a pansy on the rail of a bridge. “Lee Hyukjae.”

“Hyukjae.” I could hear Donghae’s smile in his voice. “Nice name. I’m a Lee too. Lee Donghae.”

I wanted to roll my eyes. Another Lee? Big ing deal.

“Hyukjae,” He continued, “Just step back from the rail. We can talk… Please.” He added.

I hesitated. Did he actually care what someone like me had to say?

The coward in me, slowly turned to him, looking him in the eyes. His face was soft, and his looks made me look like a rat compared to him. I’m not really that good-looking anyway.

I slowly lifted my leg over the rail, accepting no assistance from Donghae whatsoever. I finally jumped back over, feet crunching on the gravel below me. Donghae smiled, wiping his dripping wet fringe off his face. His shirt was also beginning to stick to his chest under the rain.

I tried to smile back at the stranger, but ended up wiping my tears on the back of my wrist.

Whether or not he was willing to sit around and listen to my life story, I wasn’t prepared to stick around to find out. I nodded to him and mumbled a quick ‘bye’ before turning on my heels and walking away from him at a quickening pace.

“Hey, wait!” He called after me. I dug my hands in my pockets and quickened my steps.

“Hyukjae!” I kept my head down, feeling more tears fall down my face. Maybe I hadn’t killed myself today, but the pain was still there.

I felt a hand grab my shoulder, and that’s when I lost it.

I couldn’t control my crying. I dropped to my knees, choking on my own heaving sobs, crying my heart out. I whimpered, breathing heavily, almost at a scream.

Why did my life end up like this?! Why am I on a highway bridge, not even having the guts to jump? I’m such a coward I don’t even deserve to live.

Donghae knelt beside me, and I just wished he would leave me alone.

“She left me!” I cried, to nobody in particular. “She.. She ing left me.”

Donghae scooted over beside me, edging me to sit down beside the railing of the bridge.

“Who left you?” He asked. I could sense the hesitation in his voice.

“My… Girlfriend. I loved her. I really…”My breaths were scattered as I tried to calm myself.

“I loved her. She has been the only woman I’ve ever loved. I wasn’t good enough for her. I’m not good enough for anyone. I ‘m not even good enough for my own ing family.”

“What happened with your family?” He asked, staring at me with nothing but ease in his gaze.

I didn’t know why I was telling this random guy everything that was a wreck in my life, but it sure felt good to vent.

“I’m a failure. My dad wanted me to take over the business, but because of my illness… I can’t. He practically disowned me. My job , the people there hate me because I’m such a freak. I can’t do anything right. I can’t even pay my electricity bills for sake! I’m a loser, I’m a nobody. Not even the clerk at the coffee place I go to every morning knows my name. I’m twenty six, and I have no life, no future. I can’t even hold onto a minimum wage job or the love of my life…”

I slowly drowned my own voice out by my own rapid breathing. The rain dripped down my face, mixing warm tears with cold droplets.

Donghae remained silent, but I sensed him leaning back on the railing. I wondered if he could feel the cold of the rain.

“Looks like you’ve had a tough time…” He sighed. I was about to add no ing way! but he continued. “I’ve had my fair share of too. Like you wouldn’t believe. But giving up isn’t the answer Hyukjae.”

I s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter