Chapter 7

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

For the first time in my life, I woke up late in a Saturday morning with a little headache lingering in the back of my head. I went downstairs right after I washed up and put my clothes on—a pair of stone washed jeans, printed T-shirt and sneakers. I was making my way to our kitchen to get something to eat when I spotted someone on our living room.

Someone who is supposed to be at work at this rate of hour.

My mom was lying on our couch. She was still wearing her work clothes, her hair was a mess, a stick of cigarette on her finger and the contents of her shoulder bag were sprawled all over the floor. I wondered if my mom actually slept here. When I arrived earlier this morning, my mom wasn’t home yet. I also assumed that my six year old brother, Young Soo, slept at Aunt Sora’s apartment again because our mother wasn’t able to pick him up at school.

“Mom?” I whispered, taking a tentative step. I shook my mom’s shoulder a little. “Mom.” I called again, a little louder this time.

For a moment, my mom didn’t move. Then, slowly, she looked up. At first, my mom squinted her eyes at me as if trying to recognize who’s talking to her and then her face cracked into a lazy smile. “Hana? My beautiful Hana...” my mom said, her voice was hoarse and her breath stinks with alcohol. Mom reached forward and touched my cheek so I restrained myself from taking a step back. “My daughter is so beautiful...” she mumbled.

“Mom, did you sleep in here?” I asked even though I already knew the answer. I moved towards the window and pulled open the curtains.

“Ow!” mom groaned as she sat up on the couch, covering her eyes with her hands as the sun light bathe the living room. “Hana! My head is pounding!” she whined like it’s my fault, she pressed her temples.

I bit my lower lip in annoyance and heaved a deep breath to calm myself. “Mom—”

“Can you get me a coffee, sweetie?” mom asked. She was smiling at me sweetly.

I didn’t say a word and turned to the kitchen. I opened the cupboard, took out a mug, pour some coffee from the coffeemaker.

“Oh, and honey?” mom called just as I was heading back to the living room, “Could you get me some aspirin, too? My headache is killing me...” she made a frustrated sound.

I grunted and turned back to our medicine cabinet and took out a white container.

“Thanks, darling, you’re such a doll.” mom said in a cheery voice. She held up a finger when I opened my mouth to say something. Mom popped two pills and drank her coffee. “So good...” she murmured later.

“Mom, aren’t you supposed to be at work?” I finally asked, taking a seat on a chair adjacent to the couch.

“It’s Saturday today, Hana.” mom reasoned out.

“Your company called the other day,” I said, fixing my mom a stern look, “They wanted you to attend work today because you missed two days the past week. And you agreed to them.”

Mom sighed hopelessly. “Oh, dear.” she said, looking at me. Her eyes were a bit bleary and I assumed she cried again at sleep. “I tried to wake up early, Hana... I really did.”

“What time did you arrive last night?” I asked.

“I’m not really sure.” mom said, scratching the side of head. “But I caught up with some of my old friends on my way home last night. I figured since we haven’t seen each other in a while, I hung out with them.” she smiled at me.

I forced a smile. “That’s nice...” I heaved a sigh and then remembered something. “Is Young Soo at Aunt Sora’s?”

“Oh, yes, dear.” mom said, getting up on her feet. “Are you going out today? Could you pick him up on your way home, sweetie?” she was heading towards the staircase, her bag slinging on her thin arm.

“Are you going to work?” I asked, slowly standing up.

There’s a pause. “Yes.” mom said and then she disappeared inside her room.

I glanced around our messy living room. I just cleaned it up before leaving last night. Some of the contents from my mom’s bag was left on the floor, I bent and picked up the documents, I didn’t want to read it since it’s not my habit to pry on other people things but this one piece of paper caught my attention. It wasn’t really a long memo, I didn’t need to read the entire texts to get what the message is all about.

Not again, I thought, lividly. I left the document on the center table and went upstairs, to my mom’s bedroom.

“Mom?” I called as she made her way upstairs.

“Yes, sweetie?” mom said. When I entered her bathroom, she was already on her bathrobe, her face was cleaned of makeup and, for a moment, I thought my mom was back.

My mom.

My mom who used to cuddle me before we sleeps, who loves to read books with me every night before going to bed, who brushes my hair and sing songs with me, the mother who always tells me she loves me and how special and amazing I am...

“You got fired.” I said straightforwardly.

Mom didn’t s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter