Chapter 6

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I squinted when something blinding hit my eyes. In instinct, I moved my head away and saw the moon light peeking through the blinds of the window across the room. I closed my eyes again, trying to get back to sleep. My hands reached for the pillow under my head, a habit I always have when I’m sleeping. I sniffed the fabric of the pillowcase but it didn’t smelled like my pillow but it doesn’t mean it didn’t smell good. I pry my eyes open, lifted my head a little and realized that it wasn’t my pillow at all. My eyes fell on the bed sheet which I didn’t recognize, either. I quickly sat up and tried to think, there was a dull ache in my head but bearable.

I recalled Jongin letting me take a nap by lying my head onto his lap by the couch. I honestly thought tha was only a dream. I turned my head to the couch but it was empty and I am now sitting up on a bed. All by myself.

Where on earth was Jongin? I thought alarmingly.

I got off the bed and glanced at my wrist watch: 1:27 am

“Oh my gosh!” I exclaimed. I slipped on my shoes and grabbed my shoulder bag by the nightstand. I hastily opened the door but the hall was empty. In fact, the whole house was dead silent, the party must be over. I started to walk down the hall and I caught someone familiar, instantly making me livid. “You!” I yelped at Jongin who just reached the landing and holding a half-full glass of orange juice in his hand.

“Hana,” he said coolly, with a hint of smile on his face. “You’re awake now.”

I glowered at him as I walked towards him. “Awake now?” I echoed, starting to fume but I couldn’t help but notice how dashing he looked with his hair ruffled like that, as if he just woke up from sleeping himself. But I chided myself and remind myself that I am frustrated and so I pushed that foolish thought at the back of my throbbing head. “Didn’t I told you to wake me up after fifteen minutes?!?”

Jongin shifted his gaze down the floor with a sheepish smile on his face. “Uh...yeah.”

“Do you realize what time is it?!”

“Yes, I do.” Jongin said, he looked at me this time. The way he’s gazing at me tells me that’s he’s starting to get annoyed himself, probably with the way I was talking to him. But I can’t help it, it’s almost 2 in the morning!

“Well, then why didn’t you wake me up?!” I demanded. “It’s two in the morning and I’m still here and Min Jee’s still incapable of walking—”

“Stop talking.” Jongin interjected. His tone sounded stern, making me shut up in an instant. After several seconds, he spoke again—his tone was surprisingly neutral. “Look, I’m sorry I didn’t wake you up just like I promised. It’s just...” he sighed, running his free hand through his smooth-looking hair. “You just seemed so upset awhile ago and I thought maybe you needed some sleep for awhile...” he explained as less awkwardly as he could. “I’m sorry. I was just being a friend...” he averted his gaze from me, then.

A pang of guilt hit me right away because I knew he was right. Jongin had been a really good friend to me and Min Jee throughout this crazy night and here I am, acting like a stupid, ungrateful person. I pressed my lips and then opened my mouth to say something but Jongin beat me to it.

“And Min Jee’s not here anymore.” Jongin said, finally looking at me.

“I’m sorry, what?” I thought I didn’t hear him right. He’s got to be kidding.

Jongin sighed heavily. “She finally went a little sober a couple of minutes before you woke up. Maybe the aspirin and coffee helped. Baekhyun took her home, then.”

“And she decided to leave me here.” I scoffed. “Unbelievable...” I shook my head in disbelief and leaned against the railing behind me. I cannot believe Min Jee would do this to me. She practically broke two promises in one night: she got and drunk and left me alone.

“I don’t think she did that to upset you, Hana.” Jongin reasoned out. I fixed my gaze on floral vase across the hall. “Actually, I think she’s upset with herself...”

“She should be.” I heard myself saying. It almost sounded unlike me. Even Jongin looked taken aback. But I didn’t care, I just feel so furious right now. I wanted to scream, kick or punch something. Instead, I balled my fist and took a deep breath. “I need to go.” I said, turning towards the staircase.

“Where are you going?” Jongin asked, curiously as he finished his orange juice very swiftly and settled the empty glass on top of a drawer or something.

I turned to him with my glaring eyes. “Going home.” I answered him, sarcastically and then I went downstairs.

“You’re taking the subway?” he asked, running after me.

I thought about t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter