Chapter 53

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I had a funny feeling in my head the next time I opened my eyes. Although, I felt a lot more better now than the last time. I glanced on the side of my bed, and around the room. I had another odd dream last night. Maybe not entirely odd. The dream I had of Jongin being here felt so real, I wanted to believe it really happened because it makes me feel better.

The door suddenly opened and I recognized my doctor coming in with my Aunt Sora closely following behind him. I sat up on my bed. He asked me his usual round of questions, done his daily routine along with his nurse who came in after a brief moment carrying the medicine tray. Together, they did their daily routine on me with Aunt Sora staying by my bedside. Before leaving, the doctor reminded my Aunt about making an appointment to the physical therapist for my leg. When the doctor and nurse left, I convinced my aunt to let me see my mom.

Aunt Sora sighed deeply and peered into my eyes. “Alright, alright.” she said, “We’ll go and visit her later in the afternoon after I got off work. Is that okay?”

I smiled and nodded my head. “Thank you, auntie.” I said. “Also, about mom…”

“Let’s not talk about this today, you need—”

“I’m fine.” I stated truthfully. “I want to talk to you about it. Please? You can go and ask me questions and I’ll answer you honestly.”

Aunt Sora looked hesitant for a brief moment and then she finally gave in and sat on the edge of my bed with a squeak. “I think you already know what I wanted to ask.” she said plainly as she gazed into my eyes.

“I’m really, really sorry for not telling you.” I said sincerely. “I didn’t do it because I want to upset you or anything. I just—” I briefly stopped to wipe my tears away. “Because I feel like if I did that, then, I’d be just like dad who…who gave up on us just like that.”

Aunt Sora pursed her lips. “Hana, do me a favor and don’t ever think that you’re just like your father.” she said firmly. “Not even for one second. Do you understand?” I gulped and nodded my head. “I was upset, yes,” Aunt Sora admitted. “When Young Soo called me and told me that his mother was covered in blood and that his sister was panicking to get her to the hospital. I was clueless, Hana. I didn’t know what was going on, all I know is that I need to get home immediately.” she paused for a brief moment and took my hand into hers. She looked at me thoughtfully, “Hana, I wanted to take you and Young Soo because I care about you and your mom, you know that—I told you that, didn’t I?” I nodded apologetically. “That’s my intention, not because I want to punish your mom.”

“I know,” I squeaked as I choked back a sob. “I-I’m so sorry.”

Aunt Sora pulled me into a hug, then. “I accept your apology.” she murmured to my ear and I hugged her back. “What matters now is that you’re safe and your mom.” she said after we pulled away from each other. Then, her phone started buzzing. “I need to go the shop for a few hours and then I’ll be back, alright?” she said to me after hanging up her phone. “Or maybe I’ll just stay. It’s Monday, Min Jee won’t be—”

“It’s okay, auntie.” I assured her. “I’ll be fine here. Go.”

Aunt Sora looked at me as though she wanted to argue some more but she didn’t. She gave me a quick hug and kissed the top of my head and left my room.

Later that afternoon, when Aunt Sora got back from work, we went and visited my mom in her room. I was on a wheel chair which was kind of odd. When I was a kid, I used to think wheel chairs are fun but now that I’m on one with this leg cast, it didn’t feel like that all.

I wanted to leap off the wheel chair as soon as I saw my mom lying on her bed. She was asleep and she looked so pallid and fragile. I only managed to hold her hand and bite back my tears when I saw the bandage wrapped around her wrist. I started telling Aunt Sora how mom quickly regretted what she did to herself, that she didn’t want to go. She wanted to stay with us.

Aunt Sora walked towards me and rubbed my shoulders reassuringly. “You didn’t give up on her, Hana. And honestly because of that she finally found herself.” she glanced down at me with a little warm smile.

I stayed there for a little while longer, hoping mom would wake up but she was sleeping calmly. Aunt Sora came back a moment later and brought me back to my room. As we made our back, I caught a boy clutching his lower back just outside a doctor’s office and the image of Jongin flickered inside my head.

“Auntie?” I called, glancing up at her. “When do you think I can go home?” I asked.

“I just spoke to your doctor awhile ago.” she said, “He said you’re recovering quite fast so if that continues, you can go home in a week or two.”

I merely nodded my head although I wish I could go home now. I wanted to speak to Jongin. I finally remembered, just seconds before that white van hit the cab, his face flickered inside my head and I whispered a little prayer to give me another second chance. Another chance to apologize to him, for everything I’ve put him through because his expression when I let him go—that wretched look in his eyes—was still vividly etched in my head.

This is my second chance, I mused, I’m not going to waste it.

When we got back to my room, Min Jee was there along with Yixing, Sehun, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. Perhaps it sounds cliché but I felt incredibly happy to see all of them.

They brought some food for us to share, most of them were made by Kyungsoo. But there was one familiar-looking box on top of my bedside table. It was from my favorite pastry shop. Baekhyun gave it to me and told me that it was from Jongin. He said Jongin bought it himself and asked them to give it to me. I wasn’t sure what to say or how to react, I merely gazed at Baekhyun in equal confusion and surprise. He must’ve noticed this because he told me that Jongin was supposed to come with them but something came up so he couldn’t.

I forced a smile and told him it’s alright even though my heart was yelping from disappointment, which I think was not fair considering what happened between us. If anything, it was really nice of him to send me these cupcakes. I convinced myself that it was better he wasn’t here because I realized I didn’t want him to see me like this.

I shared the food with them and enjoyed having their company even just for an hour. I decided to stay on my wheel chair throughout their visit. Their presence really helped in lightening up my mood. For a moment, I had forgotten all about mom, about my leg, I had forgotten that I was actually confined in this monochrome room.  When Min Jee approached me, I told her (a bit hesitantly at first) my dream about Jongin.

After I finished, Min Jee grinned broadly. “Maybe you weren’t dreaming at all.” she said rather knowingly.

I frowned at her. “What do you mean?”

“Jongin visited you last night.” Min Jee said simply. “He was here.”

I stared blankly at Min Jee for a brief moment and then chuckled awkwardly. “No, th—that’s not possible.” I said, shaking my head. “After what happened between us, that’s just…no.”

“Hana, I’m serious.” Min Jee stated. I gauged her expression for a minute and she does seemed genuinely serious. “Jongin was here last night. Turns out he didn’t know what happened to you because he was on the agency last Friday. We were trying to contact him but he wasn’t picking up. He said he turned off his phone throughout the weekend. He ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter