Chapter 51

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I quit my job at the record store after following Min Jee’s advice. Then by Monday night, after school, I was poised to tell my aunt everything. I prepared myself from her chastising once I told her because I knew the moment I did, she’ll definitely go ballistic on me. Like inescapably ballistic on me. Unfortunately, I got a call from Aunt Sora, telling me she’ll be going on a short business trip and she’ll be back after a few days. I wanted to tell her the news in person so I just told her I’ll wait for her when she gets back.

At school, I was deliberately avoiding Jongin as much as I could. It’s a pretty tough job considering every female I bump into couldn’t stop talking about him. They said he’s dating someone now, that girl from his agency. The one I saw him with at the record store. In spite of myself, I try to recall how the girl looked like. She’s quite pretty with a lean body and beautiful eyes. I vaguely remembered her being nice so I guess that’s okay. Eun Hee was obviously upset about this news. She would threw death glares at me whenever we walked past each other. But I don’t pay attention to her anymore. I absorbed myself with my upcoming final interview happening in a few weeks.

One Wednesday afternoon, though, I had a very unexpected guest at the office. At first, I thought she was looking for someone because I don’t have any idea why she suddenly took time to visit me. After all this time.

“No, I was waiting for you.” Yu Jin said in her usual indifferent tone of voice as she stood by the door. “Can we talk for a moment?”

“About what?” I asked her warily. I mean, what is there to talk about between us?

Yu Jin her lips, it was a sign she’s getting pretty impatient. It’s funny how I still remember her habits even though we haven’t spoken for like four years now.

“About you and Jongin.” she finally responded, setting her eyes on me.

I sighed impatiently. “I’m not sure if you got the memo but Jongin and I were over.”

“That’s exactly what I wanted to talk about.” Yu Jin said, walking towards me. I was getting pretty bemused by her words. “Why did you broke up with him?”

“What?” I scoffed. “Who do you think you are to ask me about my private life?” I asked her rather annoyingly. “And what do you care? You lost that right ever since you chose to ignore me during freshman year like I have the plague or something.” I realized I haven’t been able to vent out my feelings on her dumping me just like that. “I kept asking myself what I did wrong for you to act towards me that way because you never said anything. You ignored me just when I needed a friend and then you suddenly walk in here as if nothing happened?!” I snapped at her. I heaved a shaky breath and looked away from her.

“Hana.” Yu Jin said, the trace of indifference on her voice completely gone. “Do you… I want to tell you why I did that.” she took a breath and said, “As pathetic as it sounds, it’s about Jongin.”

I frowned at her in confusion. “What does Jongin had to do—”

“Everything!” Yu Jin said rather urgently, she’s looking at me determinedly. “Hana, just let me talk for a few minutes and listen carefully to everything I’m going to say.”

“Alright, go ahead.” I said after a moment of contemplating.

“Jongin likes you even before. During freshman, if I’m not mistaken.” Yu Jin said plainly. “He likes you even before he knew your name, even before we started going out. The thing is,” she smiled bitterly on the memory. “He doesn’t have any clue that he’s attracted to you but his actions shows that he does. And I see it all happened. Then, I got jealous. Extremely jealous because I like him a lot and I want him for me. That’s why I started to ignore you.”

I honestly didn’t know how I was going to react. This information she’s just given  me was completely out of the blue. I remained silent and go on with listening to her.

“It’s pathetic, I know.” Yu Jin heaved a breath and continued. “Then, I plucked up the courage and confess to him. I expected him to turn me down because he did that to some girls before. But surprisingly, he accepted me and we started going out. But even during our relationship, I can see you in his eyes. Did you know that he would sneak a glance at you whenever we walk past your homeroom before? He’d be so excited to get his copy of the school newspaper and read your article over and over again. And the look on his face, the moment he found out you started going out with Daehyun? Priceless.”

“Yu Jin,” I said. “Please don’t tell me Jongin only went out with you because…of me.”

Yu Jin shook his head. “Get over yourself.” she said, chuckling darkly. “He liked me…but not as much as he likes you. Then, I failed him…”

I bit my bottom lip and recalled why Jongin broke up with her. Then again, I wouldn’t say that to her.

“So, why did you broke up with him?” Yu Jin demanded.

“It’s personal.” I said.

“Whatever that is, sort it out and get back with him!”

“Why do you want me to get back with him?” I asked her, feeling equally confused and annoyed.

“Because...” she started rather tentatively, “I feel like if ever get back you two together, then…I’d feel less like a horrible person for being an terrible friend on you.” she sighed deeply and looked at me genuinely. “I’m really sorry, Hana. I know I shouldn’t have done what I did…I’m just really sorry.”

I sighed hopelessly as I took a seat. “Jongin will never get back with me.” I said.

“That’s ridiculous.” Yu Jin said, almost annoyingly. “If you’re worried about that rumor of him dating that trainee girl, forget it. I’m sure that’s going to be just short lived.”

“Don’t be so bitter.” I said, looking up at her.

Yu Jin sighed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter