Chapter 42

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

When I arrived at the school on Monday morning, Min Jee was waiting for me by the school lobby. Jongin and I weren’t able to meet up since he’s going to the new agency and he might spent the entire day in there.

Min Jee started asking me about the party which I assumed Baekhyun mentioned to her. I told her about meeting Jongin’s family and how awesome the hotel was and how extremely fulfilling the buffet table. Then, she noticed the necklace I was wearing over my school uniform’s collar. With a smile, I shared with her Jongin’s surprise dinner date for me for our 100 days, minus the part after Jongin gave me the necklace. But somehow, having Min Jee knowing me for a long time now, she noticed I was skipping certain parts. As expected, she didn’t let me off the hook.

“Well, did you do it?” Min Jee asked airily, nudging me slightly on the side.

“What?” I asked, opening my locker.

Min Jee rolled her eyes. “Oh, c’mon! Let’s stop pretending, I mean, we’re both 18.” she groaned. “Did you do it with him?” she asked again, dropping her voice into a puckish whisper.

“Wha—no!” I said, turning red. I cautiously glanced behind me, in case, someone’s eavesdropping. It was quite early so fortunately, the locker area was bit deserted. “We didn’t. Okay?” I said more firmly when she gave me a look.

“Boring.” Min Jee muttered, leaning sideways on the locker beside mine.

I drew in a breath. “Well, almost.” I said briskly.

“What do you mean?” she asked keenly and then she gasped dramatically and said, “Did someone walked in on both of you? Oh my God! That’s a lot more exciting!”

“No! It’s not that.” I said, blushing more furiously. I gestured for her to stop bouncing up and down jauntily. “Jongin knows now about Daehyun…” I told her, rather hesitantly.

Min Jee instantly stopped bouncing up and down. Her expression turned serious. “Yeah?” she said, “He knows now what that son of a—” she heaved a sigh. “—that scumbag did to you? What did he say?”

I shook my head. “He got mad.” I said, remembering how exactly he reacted and how we got into a fight.

“Of course, he’d get mad.” Min Jee said bitterly. She crossed her arms over her chest and drew in a breath from frustration. “I wish Jongin’s here at school today. At least, he’d be able to do that something I’ve always wanted to do to Daehyun.”

I frowned at her and she looked back at me.

“Breaking his jaw.” she said without any trace of repartee.

“Min Jee, please.” I said. “Do me a favor and don’t mention this to Jongin again.” Min Jee averted her gaze from me, her brows furrowed in frustration. “I just don’t want any of you to get into trouble because of me.” I continued. “Besides, Daehyun’s not worth it.”

“Fine.” Min Jee finally said. “But I can’t say the same for Jongin.”

“I already talked him out of it.” I stated, closing my locker after grabbing some of my books and stuffing them inside my back pack.

“I hope he changed his mind.” Min Jee muttered as I slung my back pack over my shoulder. “I was kidding.” she added when gave her a meaningful look.

We went to our first class, then, and never mentioned it again. Instead, she nagged on telling more about my date with Jongin. She shrieked in pure delight when I told her that we spent the night together. Min Jee said she’s having a hard time believing we really didn’t do it. I merely shook my head.

Throughout my classes in the morning, my mind kind of drifted in and out. I replayed over and over again how I woke up on Sunday morning in the same bed with Jongin. How he looked when he’s sleeping was on a loop in my head. I remember marveling at the fact that he looked so naive when he’s asleep—peaceful and calm. His perfectly pushed up hair last Saturday night was all tousled and messy when I woke up but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t look extremely attractive. Until today, I still couldn’t wrap my head in the idea that someone, someone like Jongin, could look so charming even though he’s only sleeping.

We ate in a café after leaving the hotel in the morning. Then, he drove me to my house and told me about his schedule today. When I got home, I was still high with everything that’s happened. I know we almost got into a fight because of the incident with Daehyun but we sort that out. Furthermore, my 100 days with him was tremendously special. I want to remember that and forget about what happened in the past. I just want to remember everything that has something to do with Jongin and I that night. Nothing more, nothing less. The feelings we shared that night was just…it felt riveting, addictive and just magical. I wish I could go back and be there with him over and over again. I’m so certain I’d never get used to it.

Around afternoon, Mi Young called me and told me to meet with her.

“Hana, I’m so glad you could come.” Mi Young said. She was standing outside her homeroom, waiting for me. “Do you have a class right now?”

“I don’t have one.” I said. “If I do, I wouldn’t be here.”

“Right.” she said, “Anyway, I need to ask you another favor.” she started pulling something from her skirt’s pocket. She handed me a piece of crumpled paper. “I really, really need you to do this.”

I took the paper from her hand. My heart plummeted at once he moment I unfolded the piece of paper. “Y-you want me to interview…Daehyun?” I asked her tentatively.

“I know, I know it’s another short notice.” Mi Young said ruefully, taking my hand into hers. “But this is urgent and I have complete faith that you can carry this one out.”

“But I’m not a social events writer.” I reasoned out. “Where’s is she, anyway? Is she sick again?”

“That’s the thing!” Mi Young said, indignantly. “I can’t contact her. I’ve seen her once in the hallway but she pretended she didn’t notice me. When I finally able to contact her, she said she’s sick. I hope she got that thing they have in that Contagion movie” she scoffed. “Bottom-line, she’s useless so I sacked her.”

“And you want me to do this?” I said, holding up the paper.

Mi Young’s tight expression softened instantaneously when she spoke to me again. “Yes, Hana. I know this is such a hassle for you but this is really important for our next publication.” she said. “And your interview with Jongin was absolutely wonderful! Everyone loves it! So, I’m asking you, for the last time, I swear to God, if you could do this favor and interview wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter