Chapter 36

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Tuesday afternoon, almost a week since my fight with mom, I received a letter from the accounting office reminding me of the last tuition I still need to pay. As I stare at the white envelope with the accountant’s neat writing, the memory of when I threw the money back at my dad’s flashed across my mind’s eye. I don’t need anything from him, I thought to myself. I still have enough money from working at Spines but it’s not enough. I couldn’t mom about it, either.

She doesn’t even talk to me or acknowledge me. She doesn’t come out of her bedroom since our fight. She only comes out when I call her for dinner, she ate less and less every day, sometimes she doesn’t eat at all. I’ve been good in lying, too, because of her. Young Soo’s been noticing her strange behavior and I had to lie to him again. Mom had been missing work for days now, too. Her company called home just last night asking for her and I had to lie to them as well, telling them mom was very ill and that she’ll be back at work as soon as she recover. I wasn’t proud of that.

The only chance that I have was to work double time at Spines. I already have a cover story for when Aunt Sora asked why I’ve been working on school days. I told her that there’s a school trip that I’ve always wanted to join in and I need to save up money for it. For a moment, Aunt Sora looked a little unconvinced but she eventually stopped asking questions and, finally, seemed to believe me. She also reminded me that I shouldn’t work too hard because I need to focus on my studies. I merely nodded my head despite the fact that I’m becoming a little unfocused on many things these past few days.

Mom was a complete mess these past few days. I’m scared that she’s starting to have her depression symptoms again. If anything, she’s getting worse. If she doesn’t pull herself together, she’ll surely lose her job—again—which is why I had to put on a happy face when I’m talking to Aunt Sora. Her ultimatum was ringing in the back of my head every time she would ask about my mom. But mom wasn’t helping herself—her eyes were bloodshot from crying and there were dark shadows under her eyes whenever she’d come out of her bedroom. When I would ask her a question, she would merely nod her head limply and have a vacant expression on her face and faraway look in her eyes. She doesn’t speak to me or Young Soo. I get it that she’s still upset or furious with me but why does she have to ignore Young Soo? My little brother had been avoiding mom now, I had the impression he’s starting to get scared of her. It because his seventh birthday was approaching.

The morning of his birthday, I greeted him and gave him my birthday present which he genuinely loves. Around afternoon, I went to his room to check up on him only to find him crying silently on top of his bed.

“Youngie, what’s wrong?” I asked him worriedly as I sat next to him. “It’s your birthday today. Why are you crying?”

Young Soo sniffed and wiped away his tears with the back of his hand. “Is she mad at me, Hana?” he asked me quietly “Mom. Is she mad at me?”

“No, of course not.” I answered, frowning a little. “Why? Did she talk to you?”

Young Soo shook his head unhappily. “No.” he said. “I tried to talk to her as soon as I woke up. She promised me before that she’ll take me to the mall and watch this new movie on my birthday.”

“She did?” I asked, wiping another tear rolling down his cheek.

“Yes.” Young Soo answered. “She even said we’ll go with…dad.” he said dad with a little frown as though it was a foreign word to him. Maybe it was.

“Young Soo…do you want to be with dad?” I asked with hesitantly when it struck me that I’ve never asked Young Soo before about dad. I got a little worried that he might actually want to see dad but because of what I did, he might not see him ever again.

“I’ve met him a few times.” he said, frowning a little. “But…”

I arched my brows and wait. “But what?”

“I’m going to say a really mean word.” Young Soo said.

“Okay.” I said, suppressing a laugh.

Young Soo took a deep breath. “I don’t like him.” he sputtered.

“Why not?”

“He…didn’t really talk to me.” he said, looking more curious than disappointed. “And he kept calling me Yong Hwa. I corrected him and he said alright but he kept calling me again with that name.” he added. “Do you like him, Hana?”

I sighed and pushed back his hair. “Sometimes, Young Soo, people change. Either for good or for worse.” I said. “Dad became the latter.”

Young Soo knitted his brows in puzzlement. “You’ll understand when you get a bit older.” I told him, ruffling his hair. “So, d’you want to go to the mall today? We can watch the movie you’re talking about.” I said to him happily, as I held his hands.

Young Soo finally cracked a grin and nodded his head. “Yes! Yes! Are we really going, Hana?” he asked me as he started bouncing up and down excitedly on his bed.

“Yeah.” I said, smiling. “Now go and get ready.” I said, getting on my feet.

“Hana.” Young Soo said, grabbing my hand as I got off his bed. “Is mom going with us?”

For a moment, I didn’t know what I’m going to say to him. “I’ll ask her if she wants to come.” I said, pulling a smile. Young Soo nodded and then I left his bedroom.

------

After I dressed up, I started contemplating if I should go and talk to mom. She doesn’t even acknowledge me, let alone talk. But I’m doing this for Young Soo and so I knocked on her door and since the door was open I cautiously walked in.

“Mom?” I called to her as I hover by her door. Mom was lying on the bed, her back onto me. “It’s Young Soo’s birthday today.” I said. Still no comment. “I’m going to take him to see a movie. Do you want to come?”

There was a silence and then— “You should go with him.” mom said tonelessly. “I’ll just be a bore there. Go with him.” she said without turning her back on me. Her voice was thick so I figured she’s crying silently again.

“Alright.” I said, sighing. “There’s a food in the fridge if you get hungry.” My cell phone, then, started buzzing in my jean’s pocket as I closed mom’s bedroom door. “Jongin.” I said to the receiver as I walked down the stairs.

“Hi.” he said and I find myself smiling. “I’m not sure if you received my call last night.”

It’s so good to hear his voice again. We haven’t seen each other much the past few days because he’s been busy with his practice and he had his audition yesterday.

“I did.” I said when I reached our living room. “But I didn’t get to answer it because I was already asleep. Sorry.” I added genuinely. “How’s your audition?”

“I got in.” he said. It’s weird but I can tell he’s smiling. “I got in, Hana!” he repeated more happily.

I chuckled. “That’s really awesome!” I said. “Congratulations!”

“Thanks.” Jongin said. There was thud in his line, like a sound of car door slamming. “Hey, we should celebrate today. I’ll pick you up, okay?”

“Wait!” I said quickly. “I can’t—I mean, I can go but…”

“But what?”

“It’s Young Soo’s birthday today.” I sighed. “I just promised I’ll take him to the mall today.”

“Fine, then, let’s bring him along with us.” Jongin said coolly.

Surprised, I opened

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter