Chapter 34

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I asked Jongin to wash his face for a minute so he’d get rid of the lip gloss entirely. I don’t want to falter in explaining to his parents why their son has a lip gloss smear. After a moment, he stepped out of the bathroom and we both walked down the hall. With each step, my legs were starting to get numb as Jongin and I marched towards their dining area. I was clutching his arm so tight that he gave me a look. “Sorry.” I mumbled, letting go of his arm. Instead, I fiddled with the hem of my school cardigan.

Jongin sighed deeply, he stopped walking and turned to face me. “Hana, relax.” he said, gently squeezing my hands.

“I can’t relax, okay?” I hissed at him, my hands were starting to get clammy. “I’m going to meet your parents! I’m not ready for that!”

Actually, what I wanted to say to him was his sister just found out about us making out in the library which was completely embarrassing and in a few moments, I’m going to meet his parents! The earlier incident had shaken me up already, I can’t take another one in one night!

“You don’t have to be ready.” Jongin said, calmly and when I gave him a pointed look, he added, “What I’m saying, is that…just be yourself. They’re not that bad and I swear they’ll like you.” he gently rubbed the sides of my shoulders which made a little difference on how I’m feeling at that moment—just a little difference because I still feel nervy.

“But I’m so nervous right now—”

“Jongin, dear?” a woman’s voice echoed across the hall and I froze at once. “Is that you?”

Jongin turned while I swallowed nervously behind him.

“Mom...” Jongin said, cheerfully. “Yeah, it’s me.”

There was a clanking-like sound, she’s walking towards us with her footsteps echoing on the hall. I moved closer behind Jongin’s back, hoping, even just a little, that she wouldn’t notice me.

“I didn’t know you already arrived.” she said, she sound so soft and prim.

“I just got home, actually.” Jongin said, as I try to move closer behind him.

“Well, that’s good.” his mom continued, her voice sounds so close now. “I’m almost done with—” Jongin’s mom stopped talking when she caught my eyes.

Initially, I was thinking of hiding behind Jongin because my knees are so close to buckling right this very second. But I figured it might come off as me being impolite. So, I clutched the back of Jongin’s shirt with one hand, for support, and then I braved a look at his mother. For a split second, I thought I was looking at an actress—I felt my jaw slightly dropped, she looked extremely stunning. She has a bob cut hair, oval shaped face and her eyes, Jongin got them from her. I smiled politely at her who’s now looking at me rather curiously.

“Mom, this is Cho Hana.” Jongin said calmly, gesturing at me.

“Good evening, ma’am.” I said courteously and smiled at her. She was sizing me up, I could tell. I gulped tensely and prepared to be shut out by her—

“Hana.” she said with a pensive smile as she looked at me. “I see,” she glanced at Jongin and then looked back at me, “Welcome to our house.” she said, her hands outstretched and I shook them. “You must be the owner of the shoes by the front door?”

I nodded my head, hesitantly.

“Alright, then.” Mrs. Kim said and then she turned to Jongin, “Sweetie, why don’t you bring her to the dining area, I’m almost done with the dinner.”

“Got it.” Jongin said. Mrs. Kim gave me a small smile and Jongin and I watched her disappeared inside a room. I sighed in relief. “I told you she wasn’t that bad.” Jongin told me as we headed to the dining area.

“She’s so beautiful.” I told him, glancing behind the door where Mrs. Kim disappeared into. “And you got her eyes.” I said, smiling at him.

Jongin chuckled. “Yeah. I get that a lot.”

We haven’t reached the dining area when the waft of appetizing dishes that instantly made my stomach groan in excitement, reached my nostrils. When we entered the dining area, I couldn’t help but admire the room again. It doesn’t look that grand but it definitely cost something above average. Hanging in the ceiling was a luminous chandelier and on the sides were white, floaty, soft curtains on the huge glass windows. There was a long table in the center, dining utensils are already prepared as well. But the best thing in the room were the dishes served on top of the table—mouth-watering slices of steaks, vegetable salad, a fruitcake and fried chicken.

“I thought you said your parents aren’t home?” I asked Jongin in undertone as he led me towards the table. “How on earth did she prepare all of these?”

“Mom’s meeting this morning got cancelled.” a voice behind us said. It was Jin Hee, striding inside the dining area wearing her house clothes yet she still looked beautiful. Maybe it runs in the blood, I thought. Jin Hee was smiling as she sat on an empty chair. “So, she went home and started rummaging the kitchen, hoping to do something. Mom’s like that, she can’t stand a minute without doing anything.” she added casually, specifically looking at me. “Sit with me.” she told me, patting the empty chair beside her with a beam. I walked towards the empty seat, with Jongin following behind me, and sat beside Jin Hee who looked quite keyed up.

“But when we arrived no one’s home.” Jongin said as he sat on the seat on my other side. “The garage was empty.”

“Mom went out for awhile.” Jin Hee said, playing with the napkin on the table. “I bumped into her at the grocery and then we bumped into dad as we’re heading out—” There was a voice echoing on the other room which seemed to be connected to the dining area. “That’s mom, I’ll be right back.” she said, getting off her seat and then she disappeared inside the room.

A few seconds after Jin Hee had gone, there was another voice echoing on the hallway. I frantically combed my hair with my fingers.

“No, the pleasure is mine.” he said on the receiver of the phone, smiling. “Of course, I’ll see you soon, Dr. Yoon. Alright. Bye.”

“Dad!” Jongin said happily. He got off his chair and walked towards his father and gave him a quick hug.

His father, looked almost like Jongin, except the eyes. Particularly, when he smiles, he looks just like Jongin. “Oh, and who’s this young lady over here?” he said when his eyes landed on me.

I stood up from chair and smiled at him courteously.

“This is Hana, dad.” Jongin said, smiling a little bashfully at his dad. “Cho Hana.”

“Hana?” Mr. Kim echoed a little confusedly and then his face cracked into a smile. “Of course. Pleased to finally meet you, dear.” he said, extending his arm over to me.

I smiled at him politely as I shook his hand. “Pleased to meet you, too, Mr. Kim.”

After a moment, Mrs. Kim and Jin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter