Chapter 33

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The next day, mom didn’t seem to know what happened between me and dad which was good. I don’t need another argument with her first thing in the morning. At school, everyone were still hung up on the exams. They kept talking about what they think the results were going to be.

Around my free time, Jongin invited me to the practice room. He said that he wasn’t able to practice his audition piece yesterday because he needed to rehearse for the upcoming foundation ceremony at school. He showed me a little of the dance he’s going to perform and, as always, I was impressed.

“What are you thinking now?” Jongin asked as he sat beside me on the long wooden seat he placed in front of the dance floor. “Something’s bothering you?” he asked when I merely looked at him.

“A little.” I said, slightly shrugging. “I was just worried... about the results of my exams.”

Jongin grinned. “You’ll do just fine.” he reassured me, as he kissed the top of my head, making me smile.

For the next few days, I tried not to think about what’s going on with my family. I focused my attention on my lectures and also the upcoming publication of the school newspaper.

“Are you looking for something?” Jongin asked me after school one day. He was peering over my shoulder as I fumble inside my locker.

“I can’t find my notebook.” I said to him, rather anxiously. “I’ve already tried ransacking my school bag but it wasn’t there. That notebook is so important to me. I slipped a note I'm going to use for my article on the newspaper.” I added frantically as I started fumbling inside my locker again.

“Was it the one with a map kind of design?” Jongin asked me.

I turned to him. “Yes, that’s it!” I said, looking at him with anticipation. “Have you seen it?”

“Yeah,” he said ruefully. “You actually lent it to me a few days back.”

“Okay, well, I kind of need it this week.” I said and then I started walking towards his locker.

“It wasn’t in my locker.” he told me. “I left it in our house. Sorry.”

I sagged my shoulders. “Jongin, I need my notebook.” I said to him. “I’m going to work on my article tonight.”

“Alright, then let’s go to my house.” Jongin said, nodding his head.

“Wait—what?” I said when he started pulling me ahead.

“You heard me.” he said casually, a smirk spreading into his face. “You said you needed it urgently.”

I forced out a sigh because I knew he’s right. “Fine.” I said, hesitantly. “I’ll get my things first.”

--------

I’ve always been curious as to what Jongin’s house looked like. I’ve always imagined that maybe he lives in this huge mansion, similar to those good-looking boys’ manors in the dramas and movies I’ve seen. The bus finally stopped after almost an hour of ride. Jongin clutched my hand as we stride along the pavement. We’re now walking on a quiet street lined with trees and clean cut bushes. Somehow, this street looked vaguely familiar and I realized that I’ve seen this one on TV. It’s one of the streets in the city where well-off people resides and Jongin was one of them.

I’m not really sure why this still surprises me.

“Are your parents home?” I asked him out of anxiousness.

Jongin looked at me sideways with a smile on his face. “Not at this rate of hour.” he said.

“Right.” I said, “We’ll just slip in, get my notebook and then I’ll leave at once.”

Jongin merely smiled and then tugged at my hand. We finally reached a contemporary style house with a small courtyard. Jongin opened the gate and then he turned to me. “Come on.” he said.

“Maybe I’ll just wait out here.” I said, hesitantly as we reached the front door.

“No.” Jongin said flatly. “It’s cold out here.” he opened the door and pulled me inside after taking off our shoes.

Inside, their house look so neat, elegant and very warm. It looks just like a home where a family genuinely lives. There’s a staircase adjacent to the doorway and a hallway on the other side, Jongin led me to the latter.

“I’ll show you something first.” Jongin said, tugging at my hand rather elatedly. “Remember when I told you I know something that will lift your spirits up?”

I nodded my head but I can’t help but wonder what exactly he’s talking about. We stopped in front of a door, Jongin gave me a smile as he turned the handle. “Feast your eyes.” he told me as he swung the door open.

My jaw nearly dropped when I stepped inside. There were rows after rows of shelves with different sizes, colors of books. I turned around slowly and realized that it was a mini library. I grew up with books, I recalled Jongin saying to me before.

Jongin was beaming at me, his hands in his pockets and obviously pleased with himself. “Do you like it?”

“Are you kidding me?” I said, smiling at him. “This is my idea of heaven!”

Jongin chuckled. He held my hand as he gave me a tour around the library. It was amazing, they have every genre of books and they also have some titles I’ve been dying to read. Then, something was echoing in the in the hallway.

“It must be the phone.” Jongin said, “I’ll be right back.”

I nodded my head as Jongin went out of the room to get the phone. After scanning some of the books on top of a table, something caught my attention by the round table just across the room. It was filled with photo frames—Jongin’s parents looked exceptionally beautiful, both of them. I leaned in a little when I saw this pretty girl with long brown hair and smiling broadly at the camera who seemed indistinctly familiar.

Where have I seen her before? I asked myself and then it hit me. She’s the girl who’s driving that silver car back when Jongin and I were waiting by the bus stop. I assumed they're siblings because she and Jongin have the same smile and she's really beautiful. My eyes then landed on the next photo frame and I instantly recognized the boy leaning against a slide in what seemed like a playground. I couldn’t help it so I picked up the photo frame and a smile cracked on my face as I indulge myself on the seven year old Kim Jongin. He has a mop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter