Chapter 28

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I knocked my books on the floor. “What secret?” I turned to ask her, feeling more nervous by the minute.

Min Jee chuckled. “I don’t know, you tell me.” she said.

I heaved a sigh. “Min Jee, this isn’t funny!” I hissed at her.

“Okay, first of all, you do not have the right to be upset, here.” Min Jee said, surly. “I’m the one who should be upset here—” she jabbed her finger to her chest “—because my best friend is keeping secret to me now.”

I blinked at her in utter confusion. My mom’s depression and alcohol problems were never a secret to her. If anything, she’s the only one who knew about it in this school.

“You’re dating Jongin.” Min Jee said. It wasn’t exactly a question.

I stared at her for moment and then I laughed nervously. It was Min Jee’s turn to frown at me, looking equally confused and annoyed.

“Wha-Hey!” Min Jee said exasperatingly.

“I’m sorry.” I said, biting my lower lip to stifle myself from laughing. “I’m so sorry.”

Min Jee heaved a sigh. “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me. I’m your best friend!”

“I know.” I said after taking a deep breath. “I was going to tell you today. I swear.” I added when she was still scowling at me.

“Alright.” she said, “Just promise me that you will tell me all of the details.”

I nodded my head once and then I remembered my books on the floor. “Wait, how did you found out, anyway?” I asked her as I straighten up after picking up my books. “Jongin told you?”

“No, the whole school told me.” Min Jee replied.

“What do you mean?” I frowned at her as I stuff my books inside my locker.

Min Jee grinned impishly. “According to my classmate—who’s like obsessed with Jongin—this afternoon, another girl confessed to him. Jongin declined her, of course. The girl asked him to give her a reason why and then Jongin blurted out that he has a girlfriend now.” she grinned more widely, “And then he said her name. Your name.”

“He did that?” I chortled and I knew perfectly well that I’m blushing right now.

“Yes.” Min Jee said, bouncing delightfully like a ten year old kid who just bought her first big balloon. “Okay, I need details. When did it happen?”

“Last night.” I said, too embarrassed to look at my best friend. “At the dance studio.”

“Did you kiss?” Min Jee asked again.

I turned to look at my best friend incredulously . Min Jee’s brows were arched, waiting for my response. She’ll never let me off the hook, I thought. “Yes.” I answered as nonchalantly as I could.

Min Jee let out a little shriek in glee while I chuckled and shook my head. “Okay, so how did it go?” she inquired, her voice dropping to an impish whisper.

“How did what go?”

“Your first kiss, of course!” she hissed at me.

“Okay, I am so not telling you that.” I said flatly, turning back to my locker.

Min Jee groaned. “That’s really unfair!” she whined. “You told me you’ll tell me all the details.”

“Yes, but not every little details!” I squabbled.

“Fine.” she said after a moment, and then she beamed again. “Just tell me if he’s good kisser, then.”

“What?” I said, flabbergasted.

“It’s just a simple question answerable by a yes or a no.” Min Jee said, her hands on her waist. “Is it a yes or a no?” she demanded.

I hesitated to answer her, for a moment, and then I groaned in frustration and blurted, “Yes.”

Min Jee shrieked in delight again. “God, I need a boyfriend!” she mused out loud. “Anyway, I’m happy for you.” she said, nudging me on the side gently. “Very happy.”

I smiled back at her. “Thanks.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter