Chapter 25

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The weekend passed by rather quickly. I spent my day mostly at the shop and then we picked up Aunt Sora from the hospital and then we took her to her apartment. I spoke to her that she couldn’t get to work yet. Naturally, she didn’t agree so I had to pull off my charm on her which she bought even though the last time I used it was when I was 12.

By Monday, I pushed on my plan to talk to Dae Hyun but I can’t seem to find him. When I was able to spot him, he was busy chatting with his friends so I just decided to find another timing.

During lunchtime, Jongin nearly choked on his food while we were eating. A beautiful girl with dark, flowing hair suddenly popped beside our table, wearing a bright smile. She asked Jongin if she could talk to him in private. Jongin agreed rather awkwardly and they both stepped out of the cafeteria.

A person doesn’t have to be Einstein to figure out that she’s going to confess to him. I’ll have to commend her, though, she was the only girl who actually came up to Jongin to confess unlike some girls who just leave their letters on his locker or his chair. Baekhyun and Yixing told me and Min Jee that Jongin had been receiving lots of confessions lately. Min Jee, who was sitting across me, arched her brow and shot me a I-told-you-so look as she chew her found. I merely ignored her but I can’t deny the bewailing feeling growing in the pit of my stomach.

On my free time, I went to the library to return some books I borrowed from a few weeks ago. I spotted Dae Hyun across the shelf as I was checking out. I needed to know how he found out about my mom so, in spite of myself, I went and talked to him.

“How did you know about my mom?” I asked him in low voice.

Dae Hyun glanced at me nonchalantly and then back on the book he was scanning which I snatched from his hand so I can have his full attention. “What the—” he began.

“Answer me!” I hissed at him. “I never mentioned her…situation to you.”

“You never mention any of your personal life to me.” Dae Hyun said, sounding rather hurt. “You only tell me things when I ask but you never tell me certain things about your family.”

I didn’t say anything because he was right. But this conversation isn’t about me. “How did you know about my mom?” I repeated more firmly this time.

“I saw her once when I was heading home a couple of weeks ago.” he said after a moment. “At first I didn’t think it was her because she was drunk, like totally, staggering drunk and then she suddenly called out my name so I went over. She started gibbering, like—” he cast a quick glance at me. “—how upset you were when I broke up with you. And then she started telling me to not mention our meeting to you.”

I wasn’t looking at him as he speak, I trained my eyes on the cover of a book on a shelf behind him, my heart thudding nervously.

“One of your mother’s friends was my mom’s friend and she started telling me about your mom being depressed over your dad which also—”

“Okay!” I cut him off, exasperatingly. “I get it now.”

“Why?” Dae Hyun asked curiously. “What happened to your mom? And to your dad?”

“Nothing.” I said distantly. “That’s all I wanted to know.” I started walking out but he grab a hold of my arm and turned me around to face him.

“You always say that,” he said, gazing down at me. “Nothing. You never share anything with me.”

“It doesn’t matter now.” I argued with him. “We’re over.”

I wriggled out of his grasp and stormed out of the library.

“I’ll tell the them!” Dae Hyun called out to me as I walked hurriedly down the corridor.

 “What?” I said gallingly as I stopped and looked back at him, he’s half-running towards me.

“I’ll tell the entire school about your mom,” Dae Hyun said, looking at me grimly. “If you don’t get back with me, I’ll let everyone know about your secret.”

I stared at him for a moment and then I heaved a sigh. “Do what you want.” I said, trying to look more braver than I felt. “But I’ll never be with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter