Chapter 2

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Dancing Machine. That’s what they call Kim Jongin.

To be honest, I never understood why my classmates, or the entire school for that matter, would always make a fuss about him dancing.

For me, Jongin is just a regular guy who can be quite childish sometimes. His hobby when he's at school is to tap someone on the shoulder and pretend it wasn’t him when our entire class knows that he’s the only one who fancy doing that. He did that to me once even though we're really not that close. He’s quite a show off himself, too. There’s a rumor going around that he’s debuting soon and one time, our teacher asked him to showcase some of his dance moves. Jongin shy away at the first few seconds and then he changed his mind. He went in front of the class and did his krumping and hip-hop moves. My classmates and our teacher enjoyed it very much.

Right now, this very moment, I finally understood why the words Dancing Machine is almost synonymous with Kim Jongin. The way he dances, it’s different. There is definitely something in the way he moves, it’s more than just a dance to him. Another thing that surprised me was his expression on stage. It was different when he’s at our homeroom, he’s a bit silly and likes to poke fun at his friends. On stage, though, he looked like a whole new different person, the way he makes eye contact with the audience, the way he makes them join him and his friends to the beat of the music. I can't believe I'm saying this but I am impressed. Maybe this side of Jongin is not a surprise to those who've seen him perform before, this is actually my first time to see him dance.

Min Jee and I were watching on the side of the stage, along with the staffs, organizers and other students with involvement to other performers. Baekhyun was correct, we had the clear and wonderful view of the performers in that spot. We can also see how wild and thrilled the audience are. They were bobbing their head to the music, their cameras and cell phone sticking out, trying to take videos of the performers--possibly of Jongin, so they can make a money out of it.

“Look at Jongin.” Min Jee said to me, her eyes glued to Jongin. “God, he look so good he should be illegal.”

I chuckled but I can't help but agree with her. Jongin may not be the most good looking guy in our school but he definitely got his own thing. He looked so pumped up and having a smirkfest up on the stage sending the females in the audience in a shrieking frenzy. My cell phone suddenly buzzed, it was my Aunt.

“Hey,” I tapped Min Jee lightly on the shoulder and held up my cell phone. “I’ll just take this, okay?” when Min Jee nodded, I slipped out of the tent and find a bit quiet place where I can take the call. “Aunt Sora?” I said to the receiver, going behind an empty tent. “Yes, Auntie, I got here safely.” I fiddle with the strand of my hair, taking a glance to the stage. Jongin and his friends are done, another group is now performing. “I will probably get home a bit late, can you tell mom? I tried to call her but she's not picking up. Also, I need to do a really important interview for the school newspaper. I’ll call you when I’m heading home. Thanks. I got it. Bye. I love you, too.”

Just as I was hanging up my cell phone and exiting the empty tent, I walked past these three guys.

“He’s such a up!” one of them said harshly. “He even got a two solo performances!”

The tall guy scoffed. “It’s because he’s a trainee.” he said. “Jongin has always been a up and he loves the spotlight being on him.”

“He’s going to graduate, anyway.” a chubby guy said. “We’ll finally get rid of him.”

“That’s right.” the tall guy agreed, “I wonder if he knows how many haters he have?”

The three of them laughed wickedly and I walked back to our tent hastily.

I can't believe that Jongin actually have haters. Probably because most of people I know—particularly girls—are crazy about him and admire him for being a great dancer. I forgot that no matter how talented a person can be, they can never please anyone.

“Who was that?” Min Jee asked as soon as I stepped back inside the tent.

“Aunt Sora.” I answered. “She was—”

“Hana! Hana!” Sehun cut in. He suddenly popped in front of me and grabbed my hands. “Did you see me dancing? Did you see me?” he asked me animatedly.

“Yeah, I did.” I said, chortling, “You did great out there.”

Sehun smiled broadly. “Did you hear that guys?” he said turning back to his friends who are watching the scene he’s creating. “Hana said I did great.”

“Whatever dude.” Yixing said, waving him off and sitting beside Jongin who wears the exact opposite of the expression he had on stage.

Jongin was leaning onto a chair in front of him with his head resting on his arm. He would occasionally glance at Yixing who was talking to him. He looked quite distraught and it was obvious that he’s trying so hard not to grimace.

“Is he okay?” I couldn’t helped but ask Baekhyun who was gulping water beside me.

Baekhyun glanced to where Jongin was sitting. “Honestly?” he said, placing the empty glass on top of a table. “No. He’s been training like hell lately. We have a feeling that there’s something going on with him but...he wouldn’t say.”

I looked at Baekhyun, he looked genuinely worried for his friend. I wanted to ask him what exactly they think Jongin was bothered about. But I restrained myself, I had no business asking that in the first place. I was surprised as well by how I got so concerned about Jongin all so suddenly.

“Anyway, after the talent showcase, come with us at Yixing’s.” Baekhyun said, beaming at me now. “At the after party.”

Min Jee beamed at Baekhyun. “There’s an after party this year?”

“Of course there’s an after party.” Yixing jumped in. “It’s our final year in high school, we should celebrate and get all the fun we can get.”

Baekhyun and Sehun nodded their heads excitedly.

I was about to say I can’t go with them but then someone barged inside the tent. We turned our heads towards this girl with long, wavy hair.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter