Chapter 18

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The cold night air caressed my cheek, brushing my hair gently off my shoulders and I caught the familiar soap and vanilla whiff from Jongin who’s still gazing at me, waiting for my answer.

“Okay.” I said after pressing my lips.

Jongin quietly led me to a park just across the book shop. Somehow, the park seemed familiar to me and I realized that I’ve been here before. The park was quite empty and it brought a bitter memory. But the soft glow of lights from the lamp posts lining the pathway made it seemed like a different place all of a sudden. The gentle brush of the wind felt quite comfortable as well.

“Why are you smiling?” I heard Jongin asking.

I turned to him, he was looking at me sideways, and I realized he was right. I am smiling. “Nothing.” I said, but I was still smiling. “It’s just this park…”

“Hmmm?”

“I used to go here with my parents.” I heard myself saying.

“Used to?” Jongin asked, “Meaning you don’t go here anymore?”

“With my parents? No.” I shook my head. “Not anymore.” I added and flicking my hair off my shoulder and glancing at him. “Some things change.”

“Is that a gazebo?” Jongin said, squinting ahead.

“Yeah.” I said as we both walked towards it.

As we stepped inside it, I realized that it's bigger inside than what it looks and there were two wooden benches on both sides.

“It looks neat.” said Jongin, looking around the gazebo.

Without thinking, I nodded my head with a smile and looked around the gazebo, too. “What’s that?” I asked Jongin when I noticed, for the first time that night, that he was holding something. A box.

“Oh, this?” Jongin said, tipping the box a little with a shy smile. “Uh, I bought it for you.”

I frowned in puzzlement. I watched him went towards one of the benches, he sat on it and settled the box beside him. He looked at me and gestured for me to join him. I walked towards him as he started opening the box. I peered inside it and saw eight pieces of precious and yummy looking cupcakes.

“They’re pretty…” I heard myself saying in awe. “Oh and they have little marshmallows in it…”

“You said they’re your favorite kind of cupcakes.” Jongin said, smiling at me tentatively.

I turned my gaze at him and wondered for a moment when exactly I said that information to him. I wanted to ask him but instead I smiled back at him. “Yeah, they are…” I said and then I took a seat. I stared again at the box of cupcakes sitting between the two of us.

“Hana,” Jongin said after clearing his throat, making me look at him. His eyes were fixed on me. “I’m—,” he stuttered, taking a quick glance down his shoes and then back at me. “I’m sorry…about what I did this afternoon.”

“Is that what this is about?” I asked, tilting my head to the box of cupcakes.

Jongin smiled sheepishly as he scratched the side of his head. I picked up a cupcake and held it up. “You know this is really unfair.” I said to him, smiling a little.

Jongin chuckled. “So you forgive me?”

I averted my gaze on him and replace the cupcake inside the box, the smile on my face slowly fading. “I don’t think I should be the one getting this, though.”

“If you’re worried still about Eun Hee,” Jongin said, shifting a little on his seat. “I already apologized to her and she accepted my apology…”

I didn’t say anything for a moment, I merely looked at him and noticed that teeny tiny pimple on his cheek, but somehow, he still looked really handsome. It’s not fair.

“You don’t believe me.” he stated, eyes fixed on me.

“I believe you.” I said truthfully.

Jongin nodded his head lightly. “I’m really sorry…” he said, glancing away from me. “I guess I was just really not in the mood that moment.”

So I was correct, I thought. He really was having a bad temper because of the open practice incident. I was going to ask him about it but his next question surprised me.

“Was it Daehyun?” he asked, his eyes widened as though he was just as surprised as I am with his question. He turned his head towards me tentatively and looked at me hesitantly. “I mean, when we argued in the locker, you—”

“I know what you’re asking.” I cut him off and looked away from him.

“I’m sorry.” he said quickly. “Forget I asked—”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter