Chapter 17

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jongin was standing by the front desk and then he walked towards me. I almost didn’t recognize him because he was wearing a varsity jacket over his uniform, his hair smoothly swept to the side. I must say, he looked specially handsome today. No wonder why those girls by the front desk were gaping at him in pure awe. Honestly, if I hadn’t been able to caught myself first, I would’ve acted the same way.

“Good thing you’re here.” he said as he approached me, holding up his History text. “You can help me with my essay.” he said rather playfully when he finally reached me but there was a hint of tightness in his voice—even his facial features seemed a little stiff, too. “Unless, you’re busy.”

“No, I’m not.” I managed to say. “Why aren’t you at the, uh, open practice right now?” I couldn’t help asking as we went upstairs to find a vacant table.

“How did you know about that?” Jongin asked, looking at me sideways.

“Min Jee mentioned it to me.” I said. He gestured to an empty table near the huge glass windows and we both walked towards it.

“Right, Min Jee.” he said, as we both pulled out the chairs and took our seats across from each other. “Yeah, I saw her there.”

“So you were at the open practice then?”

“Yep.” he said casually, setting his book on the table. “Then I skipped.”

I arched my brows, waiting for him to elaborate but he didn’t. He merely opened his text—which happened to be another book—and then he looked up at me. “Do you mind if we start with the Literature essay before History?” he asked me, his pencil was already in his finger. “I’m almost done with it, I just need to add some things.”

“Uh, sure.” I said, shrugging coolly.

Jongin started scrawling on his notes very keenly. I’ve never seen him looking so into something other than dancing. I opened my own notes when I remembered my mental note of borrowing some books.

“There you are!” I heard someone saying.                           

Apparently, Jongin heard it, too and the few students around the floor. Eun Hee suddenly popped beside our table. She was carrying a book on her thin arms and she was looking at Jongin. “What happened?” she asked him worriedly.

Jongin looked at her indifferently. “What are you saying?”

“You know what I’m saying.” Eun Hee said, completely ignoring me which was fine by me because I’m really not comfortable being around them whenever they’re having an argument on whatever relationship they have.

Jongin didn’t say anything for a moment, he brought back his gaze to his notes while Eun Hee was standing there, gazing at him intently. Meanwhile, I was there, looking discomfited as ever.

“Er, I think…” I croaked, getting up from my seat, “I think I should leave for a—”

“No, sit down.” Jongin snapped at me quite sternly and I sat swiftly back on my seat.

There was a sharp hiss from the other students in the floor, evidently annoyed by the scene we’re making. Eun Hee shot them a glare and then she pulled a chair beside Jongin and sat there. She looked quite worried and upset. “I heard what happened at the open practice today.” she said, her voice dropping to a whisper but quite audible for me to hear. “Did he hurt you?” she pressed on, glancing down at Jongin’s arms. “We can talk to the principal, you know.” We can—”

“Why do you always stick your nose on other people’s business?” Jongin asked her coldly, which seemed to match the icy stare he was giving Eun Hee.

Eun Hee, looking almost rigid in shock, managed to gain back her resolve almost instantly and opened to say something but she closed it again. I was trying to train my eyes on the literature text but I find it very difficult.

“Because…” Eun Hee tried again, her voice barely audible. I’m sure only me and Jongin can hear her. “Because I—”

“You’re not my girlfriend, Eun Hee.” Jongin said callously making me looked up at him. The tightness in his facial features was a lot more prominent now. “So stop acting like one.” he said so unkindly at Eun Hee while looking straight into her eyes. My jaw nearly dropped in shock.

For the first time since I met Eun Hee, a very visible sign of defenselessness was etched on her beautiful face. I knew that look on her face and, oddly, I felt a raw pang in my heart, something quite familiar. Eun Hee pressed her lips, she clenched and unclenched her fist, tears verging in the corner of her eyes. I’m not sure if Jongin noticed them because he continued writing on his notes again. I want to say something to her—anything—but Eun Hee stood up and walked out of our table wordlessly.

I watched her back as she walked out of the library, her long hair flinging on her back and few students murmuring in her wake. I looked back at Jongin who was still busy writing on his notes as though nothing happened. As though, he didn’t just broke someone’s heart in front of an audience. I felt myself boiling in frustration, anger bubbling in the pit of my stomach.

How could he act this way?! I thought heatedly.       

I took a deep and shaky breath, trying to calm myself, as I started to gather my things on the table.

Jongin finally looked up at me. “Are you leaving?” he asked me, his voice relatively cool now.

I stood up from my chair and stuff my things inside my bag. “Yes.” I said, trying to keep my voice composed but I have a strong feeling I’m doing a poor job. “I did mentioned that you need to be in a relaxed state when studying and, apparently, you’re not.” With that, I wheeled around a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter