Chapter 16

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“I-I’m sorry?” Dae Hyun said, looking equally puzzled and rueful.

“Dae Hyun.” I said, exhaling. “No, don’t apologize.”

“Are you okay?” he asked, leaning towards the counter a little.

“You can’t lean on the counter.” I reminded him.

Dae Hyun moved back a little. “Yeah, sorry I forgot about that.” he said, laughing awkwardly.

I suddenly wondered if my silly little crush on Jongin was really etched all over my face, I thought maybe I can confirm it if I ask Dae Hyun, who’s suddenly talking to me. Last time I checked, he started ignoring me when he dumped me. “What did you mean with what you just said awhile ago?” I asked him tentatively.

“With what I said?”

“Yeah.” I said, “That I look different?”

“Oh, that?” Dae Hyun said, smiling a little now. “I just meant your face—”

“What’s with my face?”

“Your cheeks, to be exact.” Dae Hyun corrected himself, “I noticed you lost some weight the past couple of weeks. They’re a bit puffy now.” he shrugged.

“Oh.” I said, feeling a little relieved. Although, I can’t help but wonder that if he knows that he’s the reason why I lost weight the past couple of weeks. After he dumped me. “Thanks, I guess.”

“How are you?” he asked, looking at me with his brown eyes—eyes I used to get lost at.

“I’m good.” I said cordially. “So, uh, did you buy anything?” I asked after a moment of an awkward pause.

“Yeah, I did.” he said, placing two books on top of the counter and clearing his throat.

I took the books and did what I had to with it. After a few moments, I handed him his purchase and smiled at him like how I smile to every customer at Spines. “Thank you for coming.” I said.

Dae Hyun grinned, his eyes caught someone over my shoulder and then he turned to me. “Thanks.” he said and then he left the shop with his books.

“Was that Dae Hyun?” Min Jee asked, appearing beside me.

“Yeah.” I answered. “Why are you here, you can’t be over the counter.” I said, gently pushing her out of the counter.

“What does he want?” Min Jee asked irritably after looking over the doors where Dae Hyun had gone.

“He bought something.” I said nonchalantly.

“He’s talking to you now.” she said. It wasn’t really a question.

“I told you he just bought something.” I said, sighing. “Anyway, about Jongin.” I said, changing the subject. “You can’t tell anyone about that.”

Min Jee grinned mischievously. “About what?”

“You know what I mean. Especially Jongin, you can’t tell him.” I said.

“Why not?”

“Because.” I said, looking at her firmly. “Promise me.”

“Fine.” Min Jee pouted. “But I still think you guys are cute.”

“Okay, whatever.” I said, turning my back on her as she started giggling by herself.

After my shift, Min Jee, Young Soo and I went to the mall to hang out for awhile. We watched a movie and ate ice cream. When Young Soo and I got home, mom was already preparing dinner and she told me that she’ll start working by Monday. The next day, mom, Young Soo and I spent the day outside to celebrate mom’s new job. We brought Young Soo at the park, mom brought him a new toy, everything was alright and I hope it continues.

-------

On the day of Jongin’s makeup test, I wished him good luck when we saw each other on our homeroom while Min Jee gave me a meaningful look. I wanted to strangle her at that moment. She’s been teasing me since this morning and whenever Jongin and I would talk, she would shoot me a teasing and silly look when Jongin wasn’t looking. Luckily, Jongin didn’t noticed any of that, he just looked at us curiously and then he left our homeroom.

“You seriously need to stop doing that.” I chided Min Jee once Jongin was out of earshot.

“You looked really cute when you’re annoyed!” Min Jee chortled. “Fine, I’ll stop.” she said when I shot her a look.

Around lunch time, Min Jee and I ate lunch with Baekhyun and others. We’ve been eating lunch with them almost every day. I wasn’t able to see Jongin throughout the day, though, because I’ve been busy with my class and the draft of our school newspaper needs a final editing, I helped out Mi Young.

The next day, I was trying to open my locker which was acting really weird that afternoon. I couldn’t open it, it was stuck or something.

“What are you possess

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter