Final

On Air Fights, Off Air Fights

 

Apart from the clacking of the ancient secretary's fingers as they dance across her computer's equally ancient keyboard and the loud ticks of the clock that hangs on the powder blue wall above aforementioned secretary's desk, the office is completely quiet. Seated on one of the chairs that line the wall in the far end of the room is Byun Baekhyun with his left leg is bouncing restlessly up and down. Every thirty seconds or so he shifts his position because he just can't stand to sit still in the current situation. It's obvious that he's anxious.

After what feels like an eternity the door that leads to the principal's office finally opens. Baekhyun stands up quickly, ready to greet his best friend, who has been held captive in that room for the past twenty minutes. The bright smile on his face falters instantly and is replaced by a frown at the look of the other's stormy expression. "Wh-?" Baekhyun begins, but is cut off when the younger male shoves past him without as much as sparing him a glance.

It takes a few seconds for Baekhyun to follow. By then the other is already halfway down the hall, so the older calls out his name to get him to wait up. "Leave me alone!" Kyungsoo snaps without looking at his friend and without slowing down at all.

Because of how fast he's walking - or stomping, rather - Baekhyun has to practically run in his attempt to catch up with him. Baekhyun really doesn't like running. Oh, the things he does for Kyungsoo. "Jesus ing Christ, will you slow down?"

"No! I mean it, Byun Baekhyun, go away! I don't want to speak to you ever again!"

Baekhyun pants. "What are you talking about? What the hell happened in there?"

The younger male stops abruptly and turns to face the other and Baekhyun almost runs right into him, but manages to skid to a shaky halt without the two of them colliding. Kyungsoo seems unfazed by the near-collision that could've quite possibly been a near-death experience. He raises his eyebrows in an incredulous expression. "'What happened?' What happened?" The shrillness of his tone makes Baekhyun wince a little. Kyungsoo throws his hands in the air, exasperated. "They took away my broadcasting privileges, that's what happened."

Baekhyun chokes on air. "What? Why?"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe because someone I thought was supposed to be my best friend just completely humiliated me for the entire school to hear. I cursed, Baekhyun. Profanities came out of my mouth and everyone heard it. The principal is freaking pissed. It's a good thing I do well in class or I would've been suspended for this, he said. I will never be allowed to make public broadcasts on school premises again, he said."

"Kyungs-" The other cuts him off again.

"That radio show meant a lot to me, you of all people should know that. Why, why would you ruin it for me like this, why?"

The older male opens his mouth to answer the question, but in the same moment someone comes stumbling out of the nearby bathroom. All students should be in class right now so it's kind of surprising that someone is there, but of course it's Chanyeol and he looks between the other two a couple of times before grinning widely. Baekhyun knows that this can't be good. When Chanyeol grins like that it's usually never good. "Hi guys." He's wiping his palms against his pants as he approaches them. "Wanna hear my new ringtone?" Baekhyun side-eyes Kyungsoo.

"Sure," the latter says with mock-enthusiasm before Baekhyun has the chance to decline the offer. "Why not? Let's hear this new ringtone of yours. Sure."

Baekhyun wants to object, but Chanyeol, who was never great at assessing critical situations like this, is already reaching into his pocket for his phone and Baekhyun knows he's most likely screwed. So he panics. "Uhm," he stutters. "Uhm, I-I... Now is not really a good time, Chany-"

"You er!" sounds Kyungsoo's voice, crackling from the speaker of Chanyeol's phone. "Byun Baekhyun, you er! I told you not to ing-" It cuts off right before the part where Kyungsoo told him 'not to ing touch his equipment' followed by Kyungsoo calling him a 'ing er'. Baekhyun gulps, slowly turning his head to look at Kyungsoo. The younger is visibly seething.

"Wait, wait, hold on!" Chanyeol, who is still grinning and without a doubt blissfully unaware of the danger lurking right below the surface, chooses this time to press the play button again and once more Kyungsoo's angry voice reverberates between the walls of the mostly empty hallway:

"You er! Byun Baekhyun, you er! I told you not to ing-" A few beats of silence pass before Baekhyun lets out a nervous laugh. He recoils when Kyungsoo snaps his head around to glare at him. "Are you happy now?"

"I-I'm sure it's going to be fine, just fine. I mean, it's not like anyone actually listens to your show anyway." The words have barely left him before he realizes the error of his ways and he draws in a sharp breath, practically panicking at the sight of Kyungsoo's flaring nostrils and tight lips. . "That... totally came out wrong, I didn't mean it like that, I just-"

"Save it for someone who cares, Byun Baekhyun," Kyungsoo snaps and begins to stomp towards the nearest exit.

"Kyungsoo..."

"No! Leave me alone!"

As soon as he's out of sight, Baekhyun slumps over in defeat. He stays that way for a few seconds before glaring at Chanyeol, who is still standing next to him. The taller male blinks slowly. "Did I say something wrong?" he asks with a expression that is completely clueless. Baekhyun wants to smack him. It's obvious that the other has no idea that he just made things worse, however, so Baekhyun chooses to just sigh and shake his head and Chanyeol shrugs, looking in the direction Kyungsoo had disappeared in. "He sure seemed pissy."

"Yeah," Baekhyun agrees. "He'll come around, though. I'm sure he will."

Silence reigns for another few seconds with none of them making any effort to move. "You er! Byun Baekhyun, you f-" This time Baekhyun does smack him.

 

to: kyungsoo [4:22:16 PM]
  hey u still on for gaming 2nite?

from: kyungsoo [4:24:36 PM]
   What part of "leave me alone" is it that you don't understand?

to: kyungsoo [4:25:28 PM]
   dude I got a freakin bucket of jellybeans, u can't be mad at some1 who offers u jellybeans!

from: kyungsoo [4:26:57 PM]
   Don't talk to me. Delete my number.

to: kyungsoo [4:27:48 PM]
   so that's a no then?

to: kyungsoo [4:51:34 PM]
    soo?

to: kyungsoo [5:23:44 PM]
   i'm rly sorry about what happened but plz don't ignore me

to: kyungsoo [6:09:19 PM]
   :(

 

Come Monday Kyungsoo still refuses to even acknowledge Baekhyun's existence and the latter is just about ready to rip his own hair out. If it would make his friend forgive him, he would gladly do that. And he really likes his hair too. It's not that Kyungsoo is avoiding him - that would be kind of difficult to do considering they have about 90% of their classes together. He simply ignores him. Baekhyun hates not being noticed, Kyungsoo knows that as well, which is probably why he has chosen to do this. Being ignored is worse than being avoided in Baekhyun's opinion.

"How's it going, Baek?"

Baekhyun interrupts his process of possibly giving himself a concussion by knocking his forehead against the desk over and over again to look at Chanyeol. "Terrible," he admits with a sigh. "I've been trying to get Kyungsoo to talk to me again all weekend, but nothing." He throws his hands in the air in defeat. "That guy is so stubborn."

"What's going on?" Jongin butts in. It's always Jongin. He can't keep out of things.

"They're having a lover's spat," Chanyeol provides helpfully despite Baekhyun glaring at him. He doesn't even bother correcting them by telling them that him and Kyungsoo are not lovers. He's tried that plenty of times before with no results - all their friends seem to be under the impression that it's only a matter of time before the two of them are going to come to terms with the feelings they supposedly have for each other - so by now Baekhyun has given up on convincing them otherwise. They can believe whatever they want to believe.

"Another one? What did Baekhyun do this time?"

The oldest squawks indignantly. "What makes you think that it was me?"

"It's always you," the other two chorus. They grin dumbly at each other until Baekhyun snarls, which has an instant fade-effect on their stupid grins. Baekhyun drops his head back onto the tabletop. He can't really argue with that, he knows they're right. Unfortunately.

Chanyeol takes it upon himself to explain the situation: "He ruined Kyungsoo's radio show and the principal revoked his broadcasting privileges so now Kyungsoo is all upset and stuff."

"The radio show?" Jongin's eyes are wide as he stares at Baekhyun. "Bro, you don't mess with the radio show. That thing is, like, Kyungsoo's baby or something. He's freaking obsessed with it."

"But I was just trying to make it better so that people would actually want to listen to it!"

The sound of someone clearing their throat makes Jongin's prepared answer die out before it has even been uttered. The three of them simultaneously turn their heads to look at Joonmyun, who is sitting by a table in the front of the class rather than the back where the less diligent students tend to gather. "Kyungsoo says that he is not obsessed and that people do listen to his show." Their gazes shift to the male, who is sitting in the chair right next to Joonmyun. Kyungsoo has his back turned and his arms crossed and he is staring straight forward rather than looking at any of them.

"Well, you can tell Kyungsoo that I was only trying to be nice and help him out a bit," Baekhyun spits, glaring at the back of his so-called best friend.

At this the younger male scoffs and leans in to whisper something in Joonmyun's ear. The latter lets out an exhausted sigh before looking at Baekhyun again. "Kyungsoo says that your help isn't appreciated and that you've ruined everything."

"You can tell Kyungsoo that- wait, no, this is ridiculous. Kyungsoo, you're being really childish right now, why won't you just ing talk to me already?"

The younger's shoulders tense up. This time it takes a few moments before he whispers something else to Joonmyun, something that makes the older go bright red. "What?" he squeaks. "I-I'm not... I'm not s-saying that." Kyungsoo stares at him until Joonmyun has to look away. He clears his throat awkwardly. "Uhm... Kyungsoo says that... that you can s-... that you can put your mouth on his ia." The sentence has barely left Joonmyun's lips before Kyungsoo noisily gets up from his seat, packs his belongings and leaves the room.

"Oh wow, he's really pissed," Jongin says meekly.

"You don't say," Baekhyun deadpans as he massages his temples with slow circles. He can feel a headache coming on, one that is not a result of him banging his own head against the table.

Chanyeol pats the older male comfortingly on the back. "Don't worry, I'm sure he'll get over it eventually. He always gets over it, you know that. He just needs some time."

Baekhyun lets out a heavy sigh. "I hope so," he mutters. He's not so sure anymore, though. In all the years the two of them have known each other he has never seen Kyungsoo this angry before. This isn't the first time Kyungsoo is mad at him for something he's done, far from it, but it's the first time it's been this bad. Usually it only takes a few hours and Baekhyun groveling for a while before he cools down, but apparently just apologizing is not enough this time around. Baekhyun wonders what it'll take to get his best friend to forgive him.

"Maybe you should think of some way to make it up to him," Joonmyun suggests from his seat at the front of the class and Baekhyun sluggishly turns his attention to him.

"Like what?"

The older shrugs. "I don't know. Buy him flowers or chocolate or jewelry or take him out on a nice date or something. You know... the kind of stuff a good boyfriend would do." He finishes with a bright smile and Chanyeol and Jongin both snigger. The taller of the two howls when Baekhyun elbows him rather violently in the ribs.

Baekhyun opens his mouth to deny the assumption that he and Kyungsoo are lovers for what feels the billionth time - and it probably is - but a sudden thought strikes him and his irritation falters. A sly smile occupies his face. "I think I have an idea."

 

to: taozi [1:42:26 PM]
   u busy?

from: taozi [1:43:38 PM]
   i'm in class. why?

to: taozi [1:44:03 PM]
   i need ur help

from: taozi [1:44:50 PM]
   what's in it for me?

to: taozi [1:45:47 PM]
   i'll buy u cake

from: taozi [1:45:53 PM]
   ok i'm in

 

Kyungsoo is in biology class when it happens, his last class of the day. Suddenly the well-known crackling of the school's PA system being sounds and everyone quiets down to listen. Instead of the soft, slightly lisping voice of the school's usual messenger - a role taken on by a student who gains some extra credit by acting as an announcer from time to time - they all hear someone clearing their throat obnoxiously. "Everyone!" a loud voice says and Kyungsoo knows that voice, he knows it better than most people.

"Oh God," he mutters under his breath and he slumps over the table. He already fears the worst.

"Most of you probably don't know me. My name is Byun Baekhyun and I am a student here at this school, but above that I am a terrible person. You see, I have this really good friend... actually, he's my best friend and he's great, but I don't treat him the way he deserves to be treated and I always get him into trouble. Like that one time in middle school when I accidentally kicked sand in these guys' eyes and I made my friend try to defend me and we both got beaten up in the end. And that time where my mom caught us trying on her makeup and I told her that it was my friend's idea even though it really wasn't and she got angry and told his mother and he got in so much trouble. And that one time where I wanted to try smoking and I convinced my friend to buy the cigarettes, but the clerk knew his parents and he got grounded for like three months."

"Wow, this guy is such a douche," one of the other students whispers to his friend. They both stop laughing abruptly when Kyungsoo glares at them.

"And that one time where my friend had a radio show that he was really passionate about and it meant a lot to him and I didn't understand that so I ruined it, I ruined it for him and now he refuses to talk to me and he won't even look at me and I don't like that because he's my best friend and... I love you, man." Kyungsoo is totally not tearing up, he's just got something in his eye, he swears. "What I guess I'm trying to say is I'm really sorry and I hope that my friend will find it within himself to forgive me for this eventually and... I'm sorry, okay?"

By the time Baekhyun starts singing - just for the heck of it, apparently - Kyungsoo has heard more than enough. He quickly shoves his belongings into his backpack and heads for the door, but apparently the teacher has different plans. The elderly man crosses his arms over his chest, cocking a brow. "And where do you think you're going, Mr. Do? Class isn't over yet." He's dumbfounded when the student doesn't even bother with an answer and just leaves.

Baekhyun lets the last tone of his song die out and he remains quiet for a few seconds before chuckling sheepishly because, to be honest, he has no idea what he's doing right now, he's kind of just winging it. "So, uh... yeah. Kyungsoo, Do Kyungsoo, if you're still listening to this, I really am sorry and I will do everything I can so you can get your broadcasting privileges back. Oh, and you guys should totally all tune in to D.O's Corner, it plays every Tuesday and Friday during lunch break on the local school radio frequency and it's awesome and you should all listen to it, okay? Okay. This has been Byun Baekhyun and, uh... have a nice day, everyone!" He releases the button he was told to hold down while talking and sighs deeply before spinning his chair around, jolting when he sees someone standing there that he didn't expect to see. "Kyungsoo..."

For a while the two of them look at each other, Kyungsoo with an unreadable expression on his face, Baekhyun with his heart pounding in his chest because he has no idea how the other is going to react to this and this is probably the stupidest thing he has ever done in his whole life except for maybe that one time where he thought an umbrella would work as a parachute and broke his arm in three places because he jumped down from the roof of a playhouse, that was pretty stupid too. "Did you just freaking serenade me over the school's PA system?" Kyungsoo eventually asks. The disbelief is clear in his tone.

"Maybe?" the other answers meekly.

"I... What? Why? How? How did you even manage to get past the watch dog?" He's referring to the student who usually does the public announcements. Said student is notorious for never giving in to any type of bribe or temptation. Many people have tried and failed.

Of course those people didn't have the prize Baekhyun has to offer, which is what sets him apart from the rest. Peasants. "Oh, a little birdie told me that our Sehunnie has a thing for a certain baby-faced exchange student," he explains with a smug grin. "And I just so happen to know someone who knows someone who has said baby-faced exchange student's phone number. Now I just have to spend half of my allowance for this month on cake as compensation."

"You did all this for me?" Kyungsoo tone is soft.

"Of course," Baekhyun says as if he couldn't dream of anything else. "You're my best friend. I'll do anything for you." Kyungsoo grimaces and makes a gagging noise, but Baekhyun can tell from the way he bites down on his bottom lip right afterwards to keep a smile from spreading on his face that he's more touched by this than he wants to let on. "So am I forgiven yet?" The older flashes a charming smile just to be safe. That smile has gotten him out of much trouble, it can't hurt to use it in this case, even though his friends seems to be almost immune to it.

Kyungsoo glares at him, but never manages to make it more than half-hearted. Then he lets out a heavy sigh. "You know I can't stay mad at you," he mumbles and that is all it takes for Baekhyun to bolt out of his chair and smother the younger male with a tight hug, spinning both of them around because he's just that dramatic. Of course the hug is reciprocated.

When Baekhyun pulls away they're smiling widely at each other. "Come on," Baekhyun says as he slings an arm around Kyungsoo's shoulders and they leave the office together just like that. "let's go back to my house. That offer of gaming and jellybeans still stands. I have half a bucket left to share."

"You ate half a bucket of jellybeans all by yourself in just a couple of days? Pig."

Baekhyun shrugs, indifferently acknowledging his new title. "You know, I was thinking about making a petition for you to get your broadcasting privileges back."

"No one would want to sign it since no one listens to my radio show anyway."

"Don't say that! You had like, what, ten listeners that one time?"

Kyungsoo sniffs. "Twelve."

"Twelve! That's almost a dozen people! And with my good looks and fantastic sense of humor and your, uhm... cleverness or something... we could totally get half the school to sign this, I'm sure!"

"I doubt it, but alright. Let's give it a try." Baekhyun grins even wider.

On their way down the hallway they bump into an uneasy Sehun. He eyes Baekhyun warily and the older male shoots him a blinding smile before reaching into his pocket for a small slip of paper he has been keeping there. The drowsy-eyed male lights up at the sight of the paper and accepts it with poorly concealed glee, clutching it to his chest as if it's his most treasured possession and Baekhyun thinks it's a little cute how in love he is. "You're welcome," he says, winking at the flushing kid before he continues onwards with his arm slung around his best friend. "By the way, I've been thinking about it and I totally think I should join your radio show."

Kyungsoo lets out a snort of amusement. His smug smile quickly vanishes when he notices the other's expression. "Wait, you're serious?"

"Of course! We would call it Baeksoo's Corner..." He makes a dramatic hand gesture. "...and it would be epically epic!" Kyungsoo can't keep a groan from escaping him. It may be epically epic in Baekhyun's theoretical world. Kyungsoo, however, doesn't even want to think about all the trouble he would get in - and subsequently have to get out of - if Baekhyun's dream became reality.

 

~*~

 

A/N: .............I don't even know. maybe this was a bad idea? OH WELL IT'S POSTED NOW ehehehehhehefhurghruitt. wat.
uhmmm... like I said... the idea for this came from bonnie's nonstop baeksoo feels that she kept pestering me with for weeks and weeks (
ಠ_ಠ) as well as from the ivy club photoshoot that exo did a few months ago(?), but more specifically from this picture. I imagined sehun as a quiet, diligent student and kyungsoo as a music lover(/radio show host) and baekhyun is just a delinquent because baekhyun is... because he naughty naughty, ok. and the jellybeans from the picture even had a cameo, hah! \o/
this entire story is terrible and unfunny and disgustingly cliché-ridden and all the time while I was writing it I couldn't help but think about all those teenage romcoms, you know, the ones where the main guy messes up somehow and the girl gets angry at him and he has to do something crazy and embarrassing to get her to forgive him and WHADDAYA KNOW IT'S JUST LIKE THIS STORY. but yeah, it was actually intended to be this way. I did it on purpose. xD 
oh, and 10 points to gryffindor if you get the (very poorly lololol) "hidden" pairing in here.
I KNOW THIS IS MORE BAEKSOO BROMANCE THAN BAEKSOO ROMANCE BUT WHAT CAN YOU DO.
they're still qts tho. rly. THEY'RE SO FOKKEN QEWT.



oh god.
I really feel like I'm losing my mind.
my author's notes just get more and more...
ugh, I don't even know. OTL
I'll leave now.