Chapter Twenty Four

Dance for Me

 

 

Note: Bolded dialogue is in Korean


~Chapter TWENTY-FOUR~

 

“You’re…a very fast…learner…” Taecyeon told Andrea as he slid to the ground, breathing hard.

Andrea sat down next to him, regretting wearing sweatpants to practice. Usually it didn’t matter, but when Taecyeon decided to join her, and end up teaching her a new dance that he had been practicing with 2PM, Andrea began wishing she had worn shorts. Something she had learned in the few months she had worked with JYP artists: they worked out, and danced hard. Andrea had watched 2PM practice as a group, and the amount of strength and power they had was amazing to see.

And now, Andrea felt just how tiring the dances were too. She had a feeling that Taecyeon was working a little harder than he usually did, which was why he was so tired. Either way, they were both exhausted.

“Thanks,” Andrea managed to get out before she took another gulp of water. If they continued to dance like they had been, Andrea knew she’d need a refill. Or three.

As Andrea continued to gulp down water, she let herself think for the first time. Usually she liked losing her train of thought while she danced, but there was something that had been nagging her since she and Taecyeon had started dancing, but she couldn’t figure out what it was.

Something felt familiar in the way Taecyeon danced with her. Even when she watched him, his movements felt slightly familiar. It wasn’t quite déjà vu, but she definitely knew the atmosphere around Taecyeon when he danced. But she couldn’t place it.

Taecyeon looked up at the clock, then asked, “Hey..didn’t you say you had somewhere to be at three?”

“Mhm,” Andrea nodded, wiping the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand. She loved dancing, but she hated the sweat.

“Well, it’s two-thirty now…” Taecyeon told her, nudging her shoulder to get her to look at the clock.

“Oh, shoot,” Andrea groaned. She wasn’t late, but her plan had been to go home at two so she could shower. She could still technically make it, she’d just have to hurry. “I’ve got to go,” she told Taecyeon as she stood up.

Taecyeon followed suit, grabbing her bag for her. Just as he was handing it to her, the door of the studio opened and Park Jin Young walked in. “Oh, good, you’re both here,” he said.

Andrea, no matter how many times she heard him, was shocked at how good his English was. She had assumed that he knew some, considering he spent quite a bit of time in New York, but he continually surprised her. His accent was still thick, but he knew how to communicate well.

Taecyeon bowed automatically, and Andrea awkwardly followed suit, something that did not escape Park Jin Young’s notice, who smiled lightly at her, appreciating the effort she put in to be a part of the culture.

“I was wondering if you two would be interested in doing something,” Park continued.

“What is it?” Taecyeon asked. The contrast between the two men’s accents reminded Andrea that the only reason the conversation was even taking place in English was because of her. She felt a little awkward putting everyone at such a disadvantage, but was extremely grateful at the same time. If it had been her, she would have been frustrated already.

“There’s a program at the end of the year, and a few other companies are having a couple of their artists perform. No one’s having full groups perform—it is not a big deal—but we need someone to perform.”

“And you want me and Andrea to dance?” Taecyeon asked, catching on fast.

Andrea gasped and looked up at Park Jin Young, hoping Taecyeon wasn’t right. One look at the President’s face though told her that Taecyeon was actually right on the mark.

“But—”

“You just have to dance, Andrea,” Park told her, cutting her off before she could make an argument. “Like I said, it’s not that big of a deal. And people are already used to seeing you, since you’ve been the dancers with Miss A during their promotions.”

Andrea wanted to say something to make a case against her performing, but she knew that their logic didn’t match. He was already set on having her, and, as the company president, all Andrea could do was hold on for the ride and hope it didn’t break down halfway through.

“Can we talk more about it later?” Taecyeon asked the room. “I think Andrea needs time to think about it, and she has somewhere to be in twenty minutes.”

“Oh, of course,” Park Jin Young said, moving out of the way of the door. “Just get back to me soon. We still have time, but every day is a day that could be spent on planning.” He smiled at her as she passed, trying to make her feel reassured, but just left her more anxious.

 

-           -           -           -

 

“You alright?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah. Fine.”

“You don’t seem fine,” Jay told her, taking another chicken leg.

“What makes you think that?” Andrea asked.

Jay pointed to her plate. “You aren’t eating. Usually by this time you’re halfway through your second plate. What’s wrong?”

Andrea wanted to fight him, but one look down at her plate told her that he was right. She usually had no problem eating, and anyone who knew anything about her knew that something was wrong when she didn’t eat. Or when she didn’t know she wasn’t eating.

Eat,” Jay told her, slipping into Korean with a smirk. He had taken to using Korean at random times in  their conversations. Andrea found it annoying, but helpful, and Jay just liked to watch Andrea go from completely comfortable to overthinking everything in record time. He thought it was cute, the way her eyes widened in surprise each time she did it.

Alright, alright. I’m eating,” Andrea sighed, reaching for her chopsticks. She was infinitely grateful about the amount of Chinese tke out she had managed to consume back in LA; she had known how to use chopsticks properly by the time she was thirteen. Other members of her crew however, were having a little trouble, as they had been spoiled by their moms’ home cooked meals all their lives.

Tell me what’s bothering you as you eat,” Jay insisted. “You’ll feel better after after talking about it. Like always.

Again, a true statement. Though, Andrea really only felt better after talking to Ryan or Jay. Everyone else only seemed to worry her more.

“I’ve been asked to perform with a rapper from JYP,” Andrea told him, switching back to English to make the conversation a little less stressful.

There was a moment of silence where Andrea waited for Jay to say something, and when she looked up at him, he was looking down at his plate, but Andrea could see he was thinking hard.

“Who?” Jay finally asked, starting to eat again.

“Taecyeon.”

Again, Jay stopped, but for a much shorter amount of time. “When?” he asked next.

“I…have no idea,” Andrea told him, realizing only then that the president hadn’t specified a date. “Apparently we have enough time for me to decide whether I want to do it or not.”

“Why wouldn’t you want ot do it?” Jay asked curiously, chewing on a particularly tough piece of chicken. “I’m sure it’s a good opportunity. And you’re being offered it without being a formal trainee. So many people would kill to be in your position.”

Andrea sighed. “I know, but it just seems so…weird. I’m obviously not Korean, so our performance would get a lot of attention. I’ve been a backup dancer for Miss A, and even then, the fact that the crew backing them up was comprised of foreigners made a splash. I just don’t want people thinking I’m trying to take advantage of anything.”

“Well, in a sense, you are taking advantage of something,” Jay reasoned, pushing his plate away and looking intently at Andrea. “You’re taking advantage of an opportunity that was offered to you. It’s not like you marched up to the company president and held him hostage until he offered the job to you….right? Because if you did, we’re going to have a lot of problems.”

Andrea chuckled and shook her head. “I promise, he just walked in to the studio we were in and offered the job to us.”

“We? Us?”

“Me and Taecyeon. We were dancing together when the offer was made.” Andrea told Jay. “Actually, we had finished, but that bit doesn’t matter.”

Jay nodded, looking thoughtful. “Look, I know President Park wouldn’t have offered you this unless he had thought of everything you were thinking of first. He always has a plan. And a few backup plans as well, in casse something doesn’t work out.”

“You know him?” Andrea asked lightly.

“I was a JYP trainee once,” Jay answered quickly. “I know President Park—and Taecyeon, for that matter—really well. Or knew them well, I guess.”

“You don’t talk anymore?”

Jay shook his head. “Not since I left. And I think it’s better that way right now.”

“Why?”

Jay shrugged, looking unbothered. “Too many complications. We’re on different paths now, just like a lot of artists and their former employers. And it’s probably better that they don’t know you know or are friends with me.”

Andrea felt something nagging her—there was something to this conversation. It felt layered; like it could go a lot deeper, but Jay was keeping it on a particular level.

“Things are that strained, huh?”

Jay nodded and took a sip of water. “Don’t worry about it though—it was a while ago, and all parties are good.”

Andrea nodded, letting the topic drop between them, but in her head, the confusion and questions had only just set in.


Thanks for reading/subscribing~!

 

So I'm pretty sure I have the most patient readers ever.

Thanks for sticking with me, even as I get busy and/or lazy, and I apolgize for the lack of updates.

Hope everyone's holidays are going well!

And I'm dedicating this update to Taecyeon, as it is still his birthday where I am.