Two-Way Promise

Heaven's Written Promise [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

▬ Chapter 1: Two-Way Promise ▬

 

The little bell dangling by the door chimed as another customer walked in. Wearing a long overcoat that magnified the elegance of his long and slender legs, the man casually walked to the counter.

“Welcome!” The girl at the front desk greeted him with the usual enthusiasm evident in her voice. “How may I help you?”

“Um,” he shyly whispered as he slowly leaned closer to the counter and took off his sunglasses. “I’m here to—”

“Omg, isn’t that Lee Sungyeol?!”

“Sungyeol! Wow, I’m a huge fan!”

“Hello!” He replied with a smile and a small wave to which the ladies who knew about him giggled and squealed with delight. Some of the men who were with them just shook their heads although others smiled back at the celebrity as courtesy.

While Sungyeol was busy saying greetings to his fans, he felt himself being dragged along towards the back of the shop. The door was shut close as soon as he stepped in and he let out a sigh once all the commotion subsided.

“Hey, what are you doing when you already have her?” The man who dragged him asked in a playful tone. Sungyeol turned around just in time to see his best friend smirking.

“Are you jealous?” He teased. He slumped on the couch and leaned his head back to eye his friend. “Man, just wait for a few more months then all this chasing will be over.”

“Sure, if she accepts your proposal.”

“Jang Dongwoo, what are you implying?”

“Nothing. Just hurry up already, geez. All your media coverage is driving me nuts. Even reporters come by almost every day asking me what you got for her.”

“The ring?”

“Yup.”

“Speaking of which, you did get it, right?”

Dongwoo raised an eyebrow in disbelief and playfully smacked his friend’s head. “Get it? I made it myself!”

“Hey! Get a hold of that monstrous strength of yours before you injure someone, you dinosaur-faced human! You’re supposed to be extinct!” Sungyeol rubbed his head frivolously and finished with combing his fingers through the silky strands of his hair.

“You have no idea how much time and money it cost to make your request.” Dongwoo went behind his desk to grab a key from his drawer and opened a hidden safe behind his bookshelf. “I had to get the best diamonds out there to make this masterpiece so you better thank me properly,” he chuckled.

“I wonder how you can even make these things with that brutal power of yours,” Sungyeol mumbled under his breath.

“Seriously? Is that how you thank someone who used their blood and sweat to make this thing?” Dongwoo crossed one arm across his torso to support his other arm up and lightly shook the small silver velvet box in one hand.

“The process sounds so gross if you say it like that,” his friend’s face scrunched up in disgust. “You better not tell your customers about how you make these things or else you won’t have any left.”

“Unbelievable. You don’t even know your proverbs,” Dongwoo sighed as he closed his eyes and tapped the box on his head. “Sometimes I wonder whether you made the right call in quitting high school to take that job offer.”

Sungyeol laughed at his friend’s antics. “You know I’m just kidding. But really, thank you so much for putting up with my request. I know I always keep on troubling you but in the end, you always pull through. You’re truly a best friend, Jang Dongwoo.” With an idea on how to thank his friend for his efforts, Sungyeol smirked, “Hey, I’ll treat you to dinner at that restaurant with the y waitress you always had your eyes on.”

Sealing the promise with a firm handshake, both of them donned a smile. “Deal.”

For a few minutes, Dongwoo gave Sungyeol a chance to admire the beautifully crafted engagement ring behind closed doors. The silver ring was a bit thicker than the usual engagement rings and at the middle sat a meticulously carved diamond that spanned just slightly wider than the overall thickness of the band. The top half sides of the band had a twisted infinite style design and were lined with little pieces of diamonds which sparkled when they were tilted against the light. Overall, the ring’s design was magnificently made and Sungyeol could only hope that his soon-to-be fiancée would also love it.

“Oops, I’m almost late for our rendezvous. Gimme the ring,” Sungyeol hurriedly asked, opening and closing his palms childishly in front of his friend.

“You have to pay for it, man. Come to the front. I’ll wrap it for you.”

 

“What?! That much?!” Sungyeol’s eyes widened when he saw the price of the ring pop up on the cash register. He knew that it was going to be expensive especially since his friend not only handled famous celebrity rings but his creations always exceeded the expectations of his customers. However, in the back of his mind, he thought that he was being swindled by his friend.

“What are you yelling for? You’re scaring away my customers. Plus, you’re rich now, right? You should be fine then.”

Sungyeol narrowed his eyes at his smiling friend. “What? Hey, you’re rich, too! Why make me pay for all this?!”

“This price is normal for designs like these but I guess you don’t want it then?” Dongwoo singsonged then held the silver velvet box in his hand.

“You really know how to use blackmail, my friend. Fine! I’ll pay for it!” With a defeated face, Sungyeol took out his credit card and swiped it with a heavy heart. “All my savings… gone… with just one swipe.”

His now obviously-richer-than-five-seconds-ago friend faced his depressed customer and smiled like there would be no tomorrow. “Thank you for your purchase and we hope to see you soon!”

Dongwoo then handed Sungyeol his newly purchased item to which the latter childishly pouted and angrily snatched it away from him. “Two can play that game,” he smirked. “Since you already got that much from me, I’m not treating you to that restaurant anymore.”

“Hey, Lee Sungyeol. That’s not—”

Without caring to listen to another word, Sungyeol put on his sunglasses and headed outside. “Bye, Dongwoo!”

Already used to his friend being playful, Dongwoo grinned and wished him the best. After all, knowing Sungyeol, he’d still treat him to that restaurant in the near future.

 

Sungyeol got in his Lamborghini Murciélago and thought of the silver box. Inside was the most magnificent — and not to mention super expensive — ring that he has ever laid his eyes on. The best part of all is knowing that his beloved girlfriend of five years would be the one to wear it. With a smile on his face, he thought of the woman whom he has pledged to spend the rest of his life with forever — Kim Minhyul.

Eager to finally be able to propose to her today

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter