Shim Changmin's Match

Match

Shim Changmin, the maknae of DBSK has finally met his match. And as in match, I mean the only person who he cannot beat. When they speak, only this person can make him completely and utterly speechless. When they play games, he usually loses. And when they argue, he hardly ever wins. When they drink alcohol, neither will pass out... And as in match, I mean the only person who can make the one and only Shim Changmin say 'I love you'. Yes, Changmin only had one match. His match was just as sharp tongued as him, just as good as games, alcohol tolerence just as high as Changmin's, and nearly everything else.

His match: Cho Kyuhyun

------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm a fan, can I get your autographs?"

The members of DBSK were rather amused. There was something about Kyuhyun, the new member of Super Junior, that was rather interesting. Maybe it was the way that Kyuhyun was like such a child, innocence and pure in his own way. As if he were new to the world yet unfazed by anything. The Super Junior maknae had the curiosity of a mere pre-schooler, and the most lovable smile planted on his lips. When he spoke, he didn't seem nervous like most people were, but instead excited. To be honest, the DBSK members quite liked the new Super Junior member. Changmin on the other hand didn't. He simply stared at the boy standing with his hyungs, finding annoyance in his presence. Usually, Changmin wasn't like this towards new-comers or anything. But there was something about Kyuhyun that simply annoyed him. And Changmin was unaware at the time, but maybe it was because he wanted Kyuhyun to pay attention to him. But who knows. Perhaps it's true, and perhaps it's false. Only Changmin knows that for sure.

“You know that people get annoyed of you staring?" Changmin told the boy bluntly. The other DBSK members, and some of the Super Junior members, glared at Changmin.

"Don't worry about Changmin, he's just being silly." Donghae spoke, being the hyung which was closest to Kyuhyun at the time. Kyuhyun stared back with a dull expression. Usually, they would have given a shocked or a hurt expression. But not this time. Not to this Super Junior member. This time, Kyuhyun stared at Changmin right in the eye and gave a uncharacteristic smirk (well, uncharacteristic at the time). A silence entered as that smirk was given. Kyuhyun seemed like such a gentle boy just before.

"You know that people get annoyed of you talking? So why don't you stop? I'd make a lot of us happier." Kyuhyun retorted with a half smile on his face. The smugness and arrogance clear as day. And with that, a silence entered. Changmin definitely didn't miss the glint in the other maknae's eyes that basically said 'challenge accepted'. It seemed that the DBSK maknae didn't realise he was messing with the king of sharp tongue.

“Ohhh.” The Super Junior members and DBSK members snickered and laughed. For Kyuhyun, who looked so innocent, he had the utmost wit compared to anyone else.

“Shut up.” Changmin spoke with a light hiss at the end of his words, but Kyuhyun stared with ignorance. It was quite obvious that Kyuhyun was ignoring the glares he received from Changmin.

“Yes, I'd like it if you did that. Thank you very much.” Kyuhyun smiled back innocently. Definitely acting out the scene well. The others laughed once again, who thought it would turn out like this?

"Why are you thanking me?" Changmin asked rhetorically.

"You would know if you weren't such an idiot. But I guess that can't be helped in your case." Kyuhyun smirked back. A type of smirk Changmin wanted to wipe of his face.

"I'm not an idiot, I ranked second in school." Changmin replied with a rather arrogant way, but the other maknae wasn't put off.

"And I ranked first. Compared to me, you're nothing." Kyuhyun said without any hesitation. The tone of his voice created an atmosphere which caused silence in the room.

"You're nothing already." Changmin retorted. Kyuhyun let out a sigh, a smirk still on his face.

"To you, I'm like God. So if I'm nothing, you are way below that." Kyuhyun spoke with another smug look on his face.

Changmin was left speechless.

This was the first time Changmin had met someone like Kyuhyun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

About a week later, the 2 maknaes met again. Kyuhyun was sitting in the practice room on the floor, a laptop on his lap. As Changmin entered and closed the door with an obvious slam, he watched the other. It irritated him to no end that Kyuhyun didn't even bother to look up. In some way, it hurt his pride. Kyuhyun's fingers vigourously pressed on buttons and swiped across the touch pad since he had no mouse to use. It seemed that he didn't notice that Changmin had entered the room. Kyuhyun's eyes trailed across the screen, his eyes looking nowhere else.

"Yah, Kyuhyun." Changmin called as he walked closer to Kyuhyun. It was noted that Changmin called Kyuhyun by his first name and didn't add 'hyung'. You see, after meeting each other for the first time, they discussed their ages and found out that Changmin was younger. And of course, at that moment, Kyuhyun demanded it Changmin were to call him hyung. But it seemed that Kyuhyun didn't remember or even notice Changmin calling his name.

"..." Kyuhyun stayed silent, still tapping the keyboard and swiping the touch pad. He didn't even look at Changmin. The younger didn't know why it annoyed him so much that Kyuhyun wasn't paying attention to him.

"Kyuhyun." Changmin called again, walking even closer and talking a bit louder.

"..." And just like before, Kyuhyun didn't reply or look up.

"Are you ignoring me? Kyuhyun!" Changmin literally shouted as he squated down besides his slightly older hyung, not that Changmin would ever call Kyuhyun 'hyung'. To be honest, Changmin would have rather called Kibum hyung than Kyuhyun.

"..." And there was the expected silence.

"Kyu-!" But before Changmin could even finish saying Kyuhyun's name, he was cut off.

"What do you want??!!" Kyuhyun yelled at him with impatience. Changmin stared, slightly surprised at Kyuhyun's reaction. He didn't expect to suddenly be shouted at. But Changmin's pride didn't allow him to show such an expression on his face. Instead, Changmin gave a dull look.

"...Um, nothing." Changmin replied. Kyuhyun didn't really glare at Changmin, but he gave an annoyed look.

"Then shut up!!" Kyuhyun shouted back at the younger. Changmin stared with widened eyes, was Kyuhyun always like this? Well, at the moment, Changmin really didn't know Kyuhyun's true character. But something told him that Kyuhyun was not to the type to shout out at people. Changmin figured he was doing something important on his laptop.

"...What are you doing?" Changmin asked calmly, not even afraid of being yelled at. After all, this was Kyuhyun. Even if they weren't really friends, they weren't really strangers either.

"I'm versing Kibum and Heechul on Starcraft, don't disturb me!!!" Kyuhyun shouted at Changmin. Unconsciously, Changmin let a small smile crawl to his lips. He didn't know what the smile was doing on his lips, so he didn't bother taking it off his face.

"I play Starcraft too." Changmin muttered quietly. At that moment, Kyuhyun stopped tapping the keyboard and looked back at Changmin. Kyuhyun's eyes were shining, as if they were full of hope.

"...Really?" Kyuhyun questioned rhetorically. That type of wonderous look on Kyuhyun's face, almost the same face Kyuhyun had when he met the DBSK members for the first time, Changmin didn't know why he felt his heart beat a little faster when he saw it.

"Yeah." Changmin replied. At that moment, Kyuhyun gave him a smile, a rather inviting smile.  It was the first time Changmin received such a smile from Kyuhyun, and it just caused his heart to beat a little more. Kyuhyun had gentle eyes, directed straight to Changmin who couldn't understand his body's reaction.

"Then you want to play with me later?" Kyuhyun asked rhetorically. At first, Changmin was going to reject the offer. But seeing that eager smile on Kyuhyun's face, seeing the way his eyes shined with such hope, the other maknae couldn't help but accept.

"...Sure, why not?"

This was the first time Changmin felt his heart act so oddly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That very same night, at the DBSK dorms, Changmin was on his laptop. Jaejoong, Yoochun, Yunho and Junsu did find it rather odd that they're maknae was being quiet. They knew that Changmin didn't often talk, but they thought that they would at least speak to them a little.

"Changmin-ah." Called Jaejoong, Changmin didn't turn his head. Usually the maknae would have been a little more polite.

"...Yes?" Asked Changmin as he tapped the keyboard.

"Could you come here and help me with something?" Jaejoong asked rhetorically, expecting the maknae to do what he asked.

"...Ask... Junsu hyung..." Changmin muttered. As he said that, all the members suddenly looked at Changmin.

"Why can't you do it?" Asked Junsu rhetorically.

"I'm busy..." Changmin mumbled.

"Doing what? You're just on your laptop." Yunho spoke, not understanding what the maknae was doing.

"I'm versing Kyuhyun in Starcraft." Changmin replied.

"..." The moment Changmin said that, it all went quiet in the class.

"Who are you versing?" Yoochun asked once again, checking if his hearing was alright.

"Kyuhyun." Changmin answered once again, still not bothering to look up once during the whole situation.

"Oh, so you and Kyuhyun are friends now?" Jaejoong asked rhetorically.

"...We're not really friends, but we're not really strangers either." Changmin told Jaejoong, still just looking at the screen.

"I see..." Muttered Yunho.

"Damn it!" Changmin suddenly shouted.

"What is it?" Junsu asked.

"I lost!" Changmin shouted loudly, the rest of the member's eyes widened.

This was the first time Changmin had ever lost in Starcraft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A month since then, Changmin and Kyuhyun were communicating constantly. The maknaes would meet up whenever they could just to talk and play games. Who knows how long they'd be together for. And who knows how close they've become in such a short period. Changmin questioned the fact that he and Kyuhyun were able to talk for hours and hours yet never get bored. When they were together, they never ran out of things to talk about. Changmin and Kyuhyun became close. So close that many people questioned if they were just friends. When they couldn't meet up with each other, talked through the phone calls, over the internet, through texting and such. Every morning they would text each other in the morning. Fun and innocent things.

"...Changmin..." Muttered Yunho. All five DBSK members were in their bedroom sleeping. A groan escaped Changmin's lip.

"...Yes..?" Changmin answered, still half-asleep.

"...Your phone... beeped... you have a text..." Yunho spoke, Changmin sleepily nodded.

"...Okay..." Changmin muttered as he sat up from bed and took his phone. He groaned loudly once again as his eyes stung from the light and watered slightly. The moment Changmin saw the text on his phone, a smile appeared on his lips. And at that moment, it seemed that all the other DBSK members noticed.

To: Shim Changmin
Get up, it's now morning, the world is waiting for you! Oh, wait, the world is just a dead ball made of Earth! :P
From: Cho Kyuhyun


When Changmin read that, the smile on his lips widened slightly. It had become some sort of tradition for Kyuhyun to text Changmin in the morning. And to be honest, Changmin expected it every day as well.

To: Cho Kyuhyun
Well, even if the world is dead, at least it's waiting for me! Nobody's waiting for you! -_-
From: Shim Changmin


The other DBSK members watched as their maknae quietly typed on his phone.

To: Shim Changmin
Not true! People are waiting for me! And they're alive! >_<
From: Cho Kyuhyun


Changmin laughed quietly to himself.

To: Cho Kyuhyun
People are meeting for me as well! :P
From: Shim Changmin


The DBSK members saw the amused expression on Changmin's face. They pretty much knew that it was Kyuhyun.

To: Shim Changmin
Like who?~
From: Cho Kyuhyun


Changmin was always rather amused at Kyuhyun's texts.

To: Cho Kyuhyun
...Um...
From: Shim Changmin


To be honest, Changmin wasn't sure what to reply.

To: Shim Changmin
Well, to be honest, I was waiting for you. Waiting to beat you again that is! See you later Mr. Shim <3
From: Cho Kyuhyun


Once Changmin read that, he wasn't sure why, but he felt happy. His voice hitched slightly, and the other DBSK members noticed it.

To: Cho Kyuhyun
You're not the only one waiting, I'm waiting to beat you too! See you later Mr. Cho <3
From: Shim Changmin


This was the first time Changmin had ever sent a heart to somebody.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But of course, like every relationship with a friend, an argument occured about 3 months later.

"I said I was sorry!" Changmin shouted at Kyuhyun angrily. They were together, at each other's throats. No-one was in the room with them, but there was no doubt that the others were listening to their argument.

"Don't care!" Kyuhyun exclaimed loudly with a clearly annoyed look on his face.

"Why are you being so annoying lately?!" Changmin asked rhetorically in rage.

"Hm, I could ask you the same thing!" Kyuhyun retorted in a screech.

"Just shut up!" Changmin snapped back.

"Why don't you?! You're the reason for this argument! If you just stopped talking, there wouldn't be the problem!" Kyuhyun yelled back.

"Are you blaming me?!" Changmin questioned loudly.

"Yes!" Kyuhyun quickly answered.

"How many times do you want me to apologise?! I'm sorry!" Changmin apologised once again.

"I don't care whether you're sorry or not!" Kyuhyun shouted as he walked out of the room and slammed the door.

"..." Changmin groaned silently as he bit his lip.

This was the first time Changmin had ever lost an argument.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course though, the argument was quickly forgotten, forgiven and pushed aside. The two maknaes decided to let go of the past and move on to the future. To be honest, nobody knew what the argument was about besides Kyuhyun and Changmin. And no matter how much the other hyungs asked, they never said anything about it. And thus, another 4 months passed by like that.

Soon, Changmin and Kyuhyun became closer than ever. They were friends who stayed by each other's side for who knows how long. When Changmin was depressed, Kyuhyun would be right by his side. When Kyuhyun was depressed, Changmin would do the same. They trusted each other with secrets and so much more, things that nobody else seemed to know. But to be honest, they never talked about how much they needed each other. But in some case, they already knew. I guess it was just a mutual feeling, something that they shared. They had a trust, so strong they never needed to discuss it. And Changmin couldn't understand why it was like this, neither could Kyuhyun. But they never questioned it, and they never thought much of it. They thought it would stay like this, but Changmin felt himself changing.

All of a sudden, Changmin wanted to touch. A graze or holding of the hand, a gentle hug, a pat of the back, hitting each other playfully, ruffling each other's hair... Changmin didn't know why, he couldn't understand why, but he wanted it. He had a urge to touch Kyuhyun. Every time, a lingering and somewhat pleasant sensation would on his skin. Changmin's heart would be beating fast.

Changmin knew what he was feeling, almost. Every now and again, he would question whether what he was feeling was actual love. And every time, he would take notice of it. But the moment Kyuhyun appeared in front of him, that adorable smile on his lips, Changmin would press them down. It was odd. The feelings Changmin had were there at the back of his mind, but never acknowledged. They were always there. Unused, unwanted, unneeded, untrusted... and unforgettable at the same time. Changmin sometimes wondered whether he should have taken his feelings and put them to use. But whenever he thought of Kyuhyun, his best friend, so innocent and naive, he suppressed them.

Kyuhyun was something pure, Changmin didn't have the right to taint him.

But every time Changmin saw Kyuhyun, he suppressed his feelings, but he just couldn't suppress his urge to feel intimacy with Kyuhyun. So in some way, he really didn't suppress his love. His feelings were shown through every single touch. Luckily, Kyuhyun didn't notice.

This was the first time Changmin had ever wanted to touch so badly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And just like that, another 4 months passed by. Now, making an entire year and a couple days. And this was the point it became obvious, a little too obvious. Who ever laid their eyes on the maknaes could tell, there was definitely some chemistry. There was definitely some sort of attraction between the two. But every time the pair were questioned, every time they were asked, Changmin and Kyuhyun would deny they were anything more than friends.

The Super Junior members knew already, the way their maknae was. He was oblivious to life, untainted by people and naive to love. They weren't able to explain or ask their maknae, because all of them were pretty sure Kyuhyun wouldn't know anything about it. The DBSK members on the other hand could. They knew that Changmin wasn't as naive, innnocent and oblivious as Kyuhyun was. They knew that Changmin knew about love. And thus, they could ask him and tell him. After all, there was no doubt in their minds that Changmin was in love with the other maknae. After all, they could see the behavioural differences. Such gentle eyes, such an adoring look... and such a flustered expression every time he denied there was anything between the maknaes.

"Changmin-ah." Called Yunho. Jaejoong, Junsu, Yoochun and Yunho were pretty sure of it already. Their maknae was holding his feelings away, pretending that they weren't there. But the others knew that there was no way around it. After falling in love, there was no way to escape. They thought about why Changmin locked his feelings away.

"What is it hyung?" Changmin asked, walking out of the bedroom. The others weren't sure if this was what they had to do, but it was much better than doing nothing at all.

"...What is your relationship with Kyuhyun?" Asked Jaejoong. At that moment, Yunho, Junsu, Yoochun and Jaejoong could hear the maknae's breathing hitch slightly before becoming normal.

"Um, we're friends. Why?" Changmin asked them, a little suspicious.

"Just friends?" Yoochun questioned rhetorically, Changmin walked a little closer to his hyungs.

"Yeah, we're just friends. Why are you asking for?" Changmin asked once again. There was something about this conversation which made Changmin's heart beat faster.

"Aigo, this child..." Muttered Junsu quietly.

"What is it?" Changmin asked.

"...We thought you would have noticed by now... Or, at least, acted on them..." Mumbled Jaejoong, Changmin gave a twisted expression.

"Noticed what? Acted on what?" The younger questioned.

"Your feelings for Kyuhyun." Yunho spoke bluntly. Changmin stared back.

"Huh? What are you-" Changmin was cut off.

"Don't pretend you don't know what we're talking about." Junsu muttered.

"...I don't-" The maknae was once again cut off.

"You know just as well as we do. You're in love with Kyuhyun." Yoochun said. At that moment, the maknae's breathing hitched once again.

Changmin stared before replying something he knew was true but never really thought about.

"...I know. You didn't have to tell me."

This was the first time Changmin had ever acknowledged his feelings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And after that conversation, everything felt odd. another month passed. Every time Changmin saw Kyuhyun, he would feel nervous. Every time Changmin talked to Kyuhyun, he would smile like an idiot. Every time Changmin touched Kyuhyun, the feeling would linger. Thus, Changmin decided it was time to tell the older yet shorter male about how he felt.

"...Hey." Changmin muttered while sitting next to Kyuhyun on the rooftop of the building. Changmin didn't like keeping his feelings bottled up inside, but he was to afraid to say them.

"Hm? What is it?" Kyuhyun asked, looking as curious as ever.

"Right now, what do you think of love?" Changmin questioned, the breeze really giving the scene a mood. It whispered softly, it seemed that the breeze was encouraging Changmin.

"Love? Well, I think that love is something meant for blessed people." Kyuhyun replied, a wonderous smile on his face. Changmin stared back as Kyuhyun, his replies were as innocent and naive as ever.

"...Let me rephrase that question for you. How would you react if someone loved you?" Changmin asked once again, hoping that this wouldn't turn out the wrong way.

"Like my family?" Kyuhyun asked.

"No, I meant as a lover." Changmin quickly corrected, Kyuhyun looked to the baby blue sky and thought for a second.

"...Then, I guess, it depends who the person is. The reaction I give will either be good or bad." Kyuhyun replied. Changmin wondered how someone would be so childish yet mature at the same time.

"I see. Well, what if it were a friend?" Changmin mumbled, feeling himself being suffocated slightly. The words were stuck in his throat.

"A friend?... Maybe... Like I said, it depends on who it is." Kyuhyun smiled pleasantly.

"...What if it were me?" Changmin asked, Kyuhyun's eyes widened.

"What?" Kyuhyun asked as he turned his head to Changmin.

"N-Nothing. Nevermind." Changmin stuttered, quickly brushing it off. But Kyuhyun didn't want to let it go. He touched Changmin's arm and stared with wide eyes once again.

"...Repeat the question." Kyuhyun mumbled quietly.

"I don't want to." Changmin replied in a hushed tone. Kyuhyun gulped silently.

"I don't care what you do or don't want to do, just repeat it." Kyuhyun spoke. Changmin looked away. Thus, he didn't see that little spark of happiness and hope burn brightly in Kyuhyun's eyes.

"It wasn't really a question. I just said, 'What if it were me?'." Changmin muttered, feeling himself flush slightly

"If it were you? Then... it would have to come down to how I would be confessed to." Kyuhyun replied in a tone so quiet it was almost inaudible. With that, Changmin felt a bold of electricity run down his spine as he turned to the other. Kyuhyun gave him a shy yet breath-taking smile.

"...How would you like to be confessed to?" Changmin questioned softly.

"I want the person to tell me that he loves me over and over again." Kyuhyun replied in a rather pleasant tone, taking his hand of Changmin's arm and looking to the sky once again.

"...Why?" Changmin asked.

"Because it makes me happy to hear I'm loved." Kyuhyun answered, a slight smile on his lips.

"...If I said it, would you accept me?" Changmin asked, a little boldly.

"...That depends on how many times you say it." Kyuhyun mumbled.

"How many times do you want me to?" Changmin asked back.

"Once... times a billion." Kyuhyun replied, laughing slightly.

"..." Changmin stared in silence, Kyuhyun laughed a little louder.

"I'm just joking. If you really told me you loved one just once... I think I'd be the happiest person alive." Kyuhyun muttered. Changmin felt a slight smile crawl to his lips.

"...Do you want me to say it?" Changmin asked rhetorically.

"Only if you mean it." Kyuhyun muttered smartly, as a somewhat retort.

"I do mean it." Changmin muttered.

"Then say it." Kyuhyun replied, a slight smirk on his lips. The tender atmosphere turned into a fierce contest. Changmin stared back. It seemed that Kyuhyun was challenging his pride again. Since Changmin really wasn't a type of person to show much affection, it was rare for him to say 'I love you'. And it seemed that Kyuhyun was daring him to do it. And there was no way Changin was going to back down from such a challenge.

"...I love you." Changmin muttered. And with those words, Kyuhyun's eyes widened slightly. And this time, Changmin smirked back as he stared at Kyuhyun. The elder looked, scowling slightly on such a challenge.

"...I love you." Kyuhyun replied, their prides were ranked rather high. They stared at each other, smirks upon their lips.

"Can I kiss you?" Changmin asked, Kyuhyun smirked back.

"Only if you beat me in Starcraft." Kyuhyun answered smartly, causing Changmin's eyes to widen.

"..." Changmin stared at the elder with an unbelievable expression.

"Either beat me in Starcraft or you can't kiss me." Kyuhyun said firmly, there was no way Changmin was going to lose in this. He had lost in many things already. Arguments, games, confessing... but not this.

"Since when could you tell me what I can and can't do?" Changmin asked with his brow raised slightly.

"Well, since now." Kyuhyun smirked back.

"Too bad, I'm not listening to you." Changmin retorted. Kyuhyun stared.

"Wha-" But before Kyuhyun could finish the sentence, Changmin's lips pressed onto his. Kyuhyun stared with widened eyes. Changmin was not going to lose. He pressed his lips harder onto Kyuhyun's, nibbling and biting the elder's lower lip. Changmin wanted to kiss Kyuhyun so badly before, and now he had. Changmin knew that he shouldn't go to far. After all, this was officially their first kiss. Slowly, Changmin pulled away and viewed Kyuhyun's completely flustered expression. A dark blush and reddened lips. Changmin smirked at the other.

"I win."

"...Not yet Mr. Shim Changmin."


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After writing this story, I think the foreward isn't really that good. What do you guys think of the story?~ ^^