The Dark

All I Care About

Hyung,” Jinho whispered as he opened the door to Luhan's room to check if he had fallen asleep. It was dark, but he could make out the outline of the older boy on the bed thanks to the moonlight shining through the window – Luhan's honey brown hair a beautiful contrast against the white pillow. Though the bed was big enough for two, Luhan was sleeping only on the right side. In the back of Jinho's mind, he knew that this must be the side Luhan sleeps on when he's in bed with Sehun.

Quietly, Jinho crept inside the room and stopped at the edge of the bed. Luhan's right foot was dangling off, so Jinho slowly lifted it and placed it on the bed. Deciding that it might get chilly later, Jinho pulled the blanket up higher to actually cover the boy, who had apparently kicked the blanket off during his sleep.

 

Against all of the nagging thoughts that told him to leave and that he shouldn't be in here, Jinho knelt down beside the bed, his eyes glued to the sleeping figure. This was the fourth time he had seen Luhan asleep – the first time was at the library, the second time was in the van, and the third time was in his own living room.

 

The difference between this time and the others was that Sehun wasn't here.

 

Jinho smiled when he heard the older boy mumbling in his sleep, and he nearly had a heart attack when the boy suddenly turned to his side so that now his face was inches away from Jinho's.

 

And even as he got over the shock of Luhan shifting in his sleep, his heart was still beating extremely fast.

 

Unknowingly, Jinho had inched closer to the sleeping boy – so close he could hear Luhan's steady breathing. Overwhelmed by the intense urge to make one of his wishes a reality, Jinho slowly leaned in so that his lips were centimeters away from Luhan's. His heart was threatening to burst when he realized what he was about to do. He was about to find out just exactly how soft Luhan's lips are, how sweet it'll be to kiss the person that has turned his world upside down. There was no turning back now. No. Not for Jinho. 

 

When he got close enough, he closed his eyes and gently pressed his lips against Luhan's lips.

 

It was a simple chaste kiss, but it felt nothing like that. As soon as he felt the softness of Luhan's lips, Jinho felt an satisfying electric current coursing through his body, threatening to destroy his remaining willpower. He slowly realized that he honestly didn't mind the complete loss of his willpower. 

 

He had just kissed the person he's in love with.

 

He had just kissed the person who was strictly off limits.

 

He had just kissed Luhan.

 

Any hope of his and Sehun's friendship surviving completely shattered by a kiss. A stolen kiss.

 

Just then a heartbroken voice pierced through the darkness. “Jinho, how could you?”

 

Jinho whipped his head around and saw Sehun standing at the foot of the bed, his face cold and emotionless, but his eyes – his eyes conveyed disbelief, hurt, anger, betrayal.

 

S-Sehun...”

 

Jinho jerked awake, immediately sitting up on the couch, his forehead covered in sweat.

 

It was just a dream...

 

As Jinho was trying to get his breathing back to normal, the door to the room creaked open and Luhan came out.

 

Jinho?”

 

Jinho turned to look at him as the boy flipped on the living room lights. “Hyung, what's wrong?” he asked, his voice a little shaky from the dream.

 

Luhan's hair was messy, and his clothes were slightly wrinkled, but it didn't look like he had slept at all.

 

I-I....” Luhan began fiddling with his fingers, unsure of how he was going to tell Jinho.

 

You?”

 

The older boy took a deep breath, looked Jinho directly in the eyes, and said, “Is it okay if I borrow your phone? I won't take long I promise. I....I just need to talk to Sehun for a moment.”

 

Oh......”

 

Yeah....”

 

Is something wrong? I can help if you want,” Jinho offered, ignoring the small stab Luhan had inflicted on him.

 

Luhan shook his head. “Nothing's wrong. I-I...I really need to hear his voice.”

 

Another stab.

 

He looked at Luhan for a second. The way Luhan bit his bottom lip, the way he looked nervously at Jinho, made it clear that even though he was afraid Jinho would reject him, he had to ask to anyway. His desire to talk to Sehun far too overwhelming.

 

Jinho realized the reason why Luhan needed to talk to Sehun at 2 in the morning when Baekhyun's words came back to bite him.

 

Luhan hyung can't sleep without Sehun next to him.”

 

Jinho frowned. “I'm sorry hyung, I didn't bring my phone today,” he said while underneath the blanket, his hand gripped the phone. 

 

Oh.”

 

I forgot it at home. Hyung, I'm sorry.”

 

Luhan shook his head. “It's okay. Nothing to be sorry about.”

 

Another stab.

 

If you can't sleep hyung, we can stay up together and maybe watch something on TV?”

 

No, it's fine. I don't want you to lose sleep because of me.” Too late hyung.

 

You sure?”

 

Mhm,” Luhan hummed.

 

We can talk -”

 

No really. Just go back to sleep,” Luhan interjected. He gave Jinho a small smile before bidding him good night and returning to his room with his shoulders down.

 

Jinho's deathlike grip on his phone loosen and he fell back on the couch.

 

He's no longer just the guy who was in love with his friend's boyfriend....

 

You're a liar also...

 

******

Unable to sleep, Luhan tossed and turned. He really tried everything to get himself to sleep – counting sheep, staring at the ceiling, staring at the wall, thinking about tomorrow, playing with his hair. But none of it seems to work, and he knew exactly why...

 

After he asked Jinho if he could borrow his phone to talk to Sehun, Luhan went back to the dark room and sat on the bed. He looked at the clock on the nightstand, and frowned. It was 2 in the morning.

 

I wonder if he's asleep yet....

 

Luhan flopped down on the bed and stared at the ceiling. I really want to talk to you, Sehun-ah...but how?

 

He sat back up with his eyes wide. Why didn't I think of this before?! Luhan rushed over to the chair in the corner where he placed his backpack. He pulled out his laptop and brought it back to the bed. Sitting with his back against the headboard, Luhan turned the laptop on. He held his breath as he waited for his webcam to connect. He signed onto his video chat account. His eyes automatically searching for the username that belonged to his boyfriend.

 

He was left disappointed.

 

There was simply no way Sehun would be on his laptop at 2 in the morning.

 

But that wasn't the case for Baekhyun.

 

When the boy spotted Luhan's username on his list of contacts, he screamed and furiously clicked to open the chat.

 

Suddenly, Baekhyun's face came into full view on his screen and Luhan almost banged his head against the wall from the surprise.

 

HYUNG!! OH MY GOD! HYUNG!!”

 

Luhan lowered the volume on his laptop. He glanced over at the door and wondered if he was disrupting Jinho.

 

Hey Baekhyun,” Luhan greeted with a smile.

 

YOU'RE ALIVE HYUNG!” Baekhyun started tearing up before he turned the other way and shouted orders to someone who wasn't on screen (it was most likely Chanyeol). “GO GET SEHUN!”

 

Is he asleep?” Luhan asked. He wanted to talk to Sehun, he did, but he didn't want to wake the boy either if he was asleep.

 

Of course not! He can't sleep without you!”

 

Luhan smiled. “Why are you awake at 2 in the morning?”

 

Baekhyun's eyes widened and he chuckled nervously. “Oh..just surfing the internet....a little online shopping..”

 

At two?”

 

That's not the point hyung! You're alive! Oh my god!” The boy squealed and flailed his arms around.

 

Luhan laughed because Baekhyun can be overly dramatic sometimes. When he was done he grinned and told Luhan that Sehun was actually downstairs in the living room watching the news channel.

 

The news channel?”

 

Why did you call me up here?” Sehun's voice could be heard from behind Baekhyun. The boy moved to the side so that Luhan could see his boyfriend standing near Baekyeol's doorway.

 

Sehun-ah!”

 

Sehun whipped his head around and when his eyes met Luhan's own, he spluttered, “L-Lu?”

 

Not knowing what else to do, Luhan waved at his boyfriend. He probably looked weird waving to his laptop, but right now he didn't care.

 

Too shock at seeing Luhan, Sehun stood still, mouth hanging open. Chanyeol, who decided that the maknae should really do something, smacked him in the head.

 

Stop standing here and get on your laptop to talk to your Bambi.”

 

He must have been too distracted by the sight of Luhan to react to Chanyeol's smack because Sehun nodded and quickly left the room. Luhan assumed he went to get his laptop.

 

Now hyung.” Baekhyun cleared his throat. “What are your sleeping arrangements?”

 

Huh?”

 

Where's Jinho?” Baekhyun asked, his demeanor suddenly solemn.

 

He's in the living room.”

 

Let's hope he stays there,” Baekhyun muttered too low for Luhan to hear.

 

We'll leave you to talk to Sehun,” Chanyeol said when he came over to where Baekhyun was, his grin taking up most of the screen. “Don't do anything to get him too worked up or else he'll go crazy with lust.”

 

Luhan laughed and Baekhyun smacked Chanyeol in the arm. “He's already crazy with lust,” Baekhyun retorted.

 

Ding.

 

Sehun had signed on and Luhan felt his heart beating faster when his boyfriend's face popped up on his screen.

 

Wow. We can tell he got online just from seeing your face hyung,” Baekhyun commented with a sly smile and a wink.”Enjoy your webcam charging.”

 

Luhan blushed and quickly said goodbye to the couple before closing their conversation window.

 

Why are you so red in the face?” Sehun asked when Luhan accepted his video chat request.

 

I'm n-not!”

 

Sehun chuckled. “Whatever. We both know seeing me gets you all excited.”

 

I can say the same for you,” Luhan countered.

 

Sehun grinned. “I know.” Sehun looked away from his laptop for a split second, and Luhan realized that he was actually sitting on the white couch in the living room, and in the background he could hear the news reporter.

 

You're watching the news?”

 

Yeah. Gotta know when I can rescue you,” Sehun answered with a smirk. I wish you could....

 

Luhan sighed and placed the laptop on the bed and laid down next to it while Sehun watched him curiously.

 

I'm mad at you, Sehun-ah.”

 

Sehun arched his eyebrow. “Why?”

 

Because it's your fault I can't sleep,” Luhan mumbled before hiding his face behind his hands.

 

Instead of apologizing or at least feeling bad for being the cause of Luhan's distress, Sehun laughed. This caused Luhan to come out of hiding. “It's a serious matter!”

 

Sehun stopped laughing and cleared his throat. “Yes. Yes, it is.”

 

Luhan shot Sehun a stern look, to which Sehun replied with a sweet smile. “Why can't you sleep?” Sehun asked, though judging from his face, Luhan could tell he already knew the answer.

 

Because you got me so used to sleeping with you, now that you're not here, I......I don't know what to do.”

 

Well, I'm here now,” Sehun said firmly.

 

Luhan couldn't help but smile because it's true. Partially. The only thing separating them was a screen, and for now that was better than nothing.

 

Unless your laptop is running low on battery too,” Sehun teased.

 

It's not,” Luhan replied with a smile as he grabbed the extra pillow and hugged it. “Is it okay if we stay up and talk?”

 

Don't even have to ask,” Sehun replied with an eye roll. “Want to hear about my day at work? That usually gets you to sleep super fast.”

 

That's not true.”

 

You wouldn't know because you'd be asleep.”

 

Luhan scrunched his nose in disapproval, and Sehun, who thought he looked cute, poked the screen. “Stop doing that.”

 

Luhan burrowed his face into the pillow, unable to believe that Sehun had just poked him through a screen. “Sehun-ahhh,” he whined into the pillow.

 

Before Sehun could open his mouth to comment, Luhan looked up and told him sternly, “Don't even think about calling me cute.”

 

Sehun held up both of his hands. “Fine I won't.”

 

Good.”

 

Ahem. Cute. Ahem.” Sehun grinned after his “coughing fit.”

 

Coming down with something?” Luhan asked sarcastically.

 

Yeah. Lovegitis.”

 

Sounds deadly.”

 

Very.”

 

Any known cures?”

 

Bambiotic.”

 

What followed was Luhan, amused by Sehun's play with words, bursting into an adorable laughing fit as a smug Sehun looked on.

 

Are you going to get me some?” Sehun asked when Luhan had calmed down.

 

Bambiotic?”

 

Yeah.”

 

Maybe when I get home,” Luhan replied with a smile that almost reached his ears.

 

I look forward to it,” Sehun said, returning Luhan's smile with a brilliant one of his own.

 

After a few more minutes of Sehun telling Luhan about the symptoms of lovegitis, Luhan began to feel sleepy. His eyes began to droop slightly and he yawned a few times.

 

Sehun, noticing this, decided to step it up a notch and began telling Luhan about his boring day at work, leaving nothing out. When Sehun got to the part about him cleaning up soda stains on the cushions, Luhan found it nearly impossible to keep his eyes open. He blinked a few times, and though he saw Sehun watching him with an amused grin, the rest of the screen was slowly becoming a blur.

 

And then I had to clean the bathrooms and let me tell you --”

 

Sehun-ah,” Luhan mumbled.

 

Yeah?”

 

I love you,” Luhan murmured, eyes completely closed now. He fell asleep a few seconds afterwards, but not before he heard Sehun's sincere reply.

 

I love you more.”

 

******

Sehun sat alone on the couch with the only source of light coming from the television screen, which was still reporting about the current conditions and the closed roads, and his laptop.

 

Even after Luhan had fallen asleep, Sehun still had their chat window open so he could watch his boyfriend sleep. So he could hear his boyfriend mumble gibberish in his sleep. So he could see him throw his blanket off when it bothered him.

 

Eventually, the light on Luhan's laptop screen dimmed due to inactivity. Sehun frowned because he couldn't see the boy's face clearly anymore. He placed the laptop down on the couch next to him and stood up to stretch. It's been hours since he found out about the storm that's keeping him away from Luhan, and frankly, Sehun couldn't wait to surprise Luhan. Now that he knows Luhan's room number (he had asked earlier), he looked forward to bursting through the door and snatching Luhan away.

 

He sat back down and turned his attention back to his laptop screen when suddenly something moved. Sehun's breath hitched. It definitely wasn't Luhan because the boy was still asleep. What was that? Then on the far right corner of the screen, he noticed the blanket that Luhan had thrown off an hour ago being slowly lifted and placed over the boy.

 

Jinho?

 

It had to be Jinho. There was nobody else that shared their room.

 

With his heart rate picking up, Sehun grabbed the laptop and stared at the screen. Since Luhan's screen light was off, Sehun assumed that Jinho couldn't see him. He held his breath when the movements stopped. He still couldn't see Jinho on the screen, but he knew he was there – that he was in the room with Luhan.

 

The next thing he knows, the screen goes completely blank...

 

What?.....Just happened?

 

Frantic, Sehun began clicking on Luhan's username, but nothing came up. All he got was a blank screen.

 

Did Jinho close the laptop?

 

That had to be the only plausible explanation. Right? 

 

Sehun checked his watch – it was 4:56. Why would Jinho be up at this hour?

 

Sehun's eyes dart back to the television screen where the words Roads are officially opened flashed across the bottom bar.

 

Without a second thought, Sehun snapped his laptop shut, grabbed his jacket and the car keys and ran out of the house.

 

I'm coming, Bambi.

 

The hour drive took longer than expected because there were crews still trying to clean up the damage from the storm, but Sehun didn't let it get to him. It didn't matter. As long as he was on the road – as long as he was getting to where Luhan was, it didn't matter how long it'll take.

 

When he got to the inn off the highway Luhan told him about, he parked quickly and ran inside. He told the person at the desk that he was here to pick up someone, and before the person could ask who, Sehun was running towards the emergency staircase.

 

Standing in front of Luhan's room, he knocked.

 

The door opened and Sehun's eyes traveled from the floor to the face of the person standing in front of him.

 

Sehun?” Jinho asked, rubbing his eyes.

 

I'm here for Luhan,” Sehun said simply before he brushed past Jinho. He noticed the messy blankets on the couch where Jinho must have slept. When he spotted the door that must lead to the bedroom, he immediately walked over and with his hands on the doorknob, he turned it.

 

Stepping in, his eyes instinctively notice the figure on the bed first. Luhan was still asleep, still hugging the extra pillow like his life depended on it. His hair was tousled, covering his eyes, and his mouth was slightly open, but Sehun found it incredibly gratifying to see his boyfriend before his very eyes.

 

Sehun was able to breathe again.

 

Making his way over, Sehun got down on his knees next to the bed to be eye-leveled with Luhan. Sehun noticed the closed laptop screen behind the older boy, and concluded that Jinho must have closed it thinking that Luhan had forgotten to.

 

He turn his attention back to the boy in front of him, and without hesitation, leaned in and pressed his lips against Luhan's cheek.

 

Everything felt right again.

 

Lu,” Sehun called out softly, fingers brushing Luhan's hair to reveal his closed eyelids. The boy didn't stir, so Sehun tried again – this time he kissed Luhan's nose.

 

Wake up Lu.”

 

Luhan made a small noise, and Sehun felt his heart beating just a tad faster.

 

Any moment now Luhan was going to wake, and even though Sehun couldn't be next to him when he fell asleep, he was going to be there when the boy opened his eyes. He was still the first person Luhan sees every morning.

 

And that is one of the best feelings in the world.

 

Lu,” Sehun whispered against Luhan's eyelids. “Time to wake up now.”

 

Mmmm.”

 

Sehun leaned back and watched as Luhan squeezed his eyes and clench the pillow with his fist. “Nghhh.”

 

Smiling like an idiot, Sehun caressed Luhan's face, letting him know that he was there.

 

S-Sehun?” Luhan mumbled.

 

Instead of answering, Sehun leaned in and pressed their lips together. “Mhm,” he said when he pulled away.

 

Watching Luhan wake up is one of the most entertaining things Sehun has ever seen. It would start with the boy's eyelashes rapidly fluttering, then his nose would wiggle twice, and finally his mouth would formed an adorable “O” before his eyes slowly opened.

 

Luhan's eyes blinked a few times when he saw Sehun in front of him. Then the older boy immediately broke out into his morning grin, and Sehun grinned in response.

 

Sehun-ah,” Luhan said, voice still groggy. His eyes traveled down to Sehun's collarbone and then back up. He blinked a few more times, seemingly lost. Nope. He wasn't alert at all. Not yet.

 

5

 

4

 

3

 

2

 

1

 

The boy sat up and shouted, “SEHUN-AH!?”

 

Took you long enough,” Sehun said with a smile. He got up from his kneeling position and sat on the bed next to Luhan.

 

Wha-How-Why-What!?”

 

The roads are opened now,” Sehun said nonchalantly as he fixed his boyfriend's hair, doing his best to keep it from sticking up.

 

Y-you drove here?!”

 

Swam,” Sehun corrected with a playful smile.

 

Oh Sehun-ah!” Luhan threw himself on Sehun, and Sehun gladly caught him.

 

With his arms wrapped tightly around Sehun's neck, Luhan began complaining about his ordeal.

 

I hate not having you with me. It was so hard, but I didn't want you to worry, so I told you that I was going to be fine, but I wasn't.” 

 

Luhan shook his head as Sehun used his thumbs to caressed his cheekbones. “Sehun, I wasn't okay. It drove me crazy being so far from you. And my dumb phone ran out of battery, so I couldn't even talk to you for long. Remind me to get a new phone with a better battery! And I hate not be able to sleep with you, Sehun-ah. Seeing you on my laptop screen isn't the same! It's not the same.. And I had to hug the stupid pillow instead of you, and it . It's not as warm or as big. It doesn't hug me back either. And it smells nothing like you! And I barely got any sleep. And --”

 

I missed you too,” Sehun said, cutting Luhan off. He assumed that was where Luhan was headed.

 

The boy didn't say anything else so with a chuckle, Sehun pressed his forehead against Luhan's. “I missed you too,” he repeated, to which Luhan smiled and hugged him tighter.

 

Don't ever go on an overnight trip without me,” Sehun said, his tone slightly pleading. I won't be able to handle it again.

 

Luhan nodded, and with their foreheads still connected, he leaned in and kissed Sehun. “Never again,” he promised when their lips parted.

 

Sehun ruffled Luhan's hair, ignoring Luhan's protests, and said, “Let's go home, Bambi.”

 

 

 

~~~~~~ Okay. I know a lot of you were probably cursing when you read the first part. Lol. Just a dream. Just a dream. No pitchforks please. Hhaha. Jinho = certified liar now. Tskkk. Baekyeol is going to cut you, Jinho. Then we had HUNHAN FLUFFFFFFFFFFF. GAH. They're so adorable. Favorite part was lovegitis and Bambiotic. LOL. TOO CUTE ♥ Then the last part....Jinho coming in the room to pull the blanket up - NO BOY NO. Stay away from Lulu. And then Sehun waking Luhan up = LOVE. I just love how he does it. Asfhgjhkhllas. Btw, Baekyeol was up at two in the morning shopping for toys. LOL. What else do you expect from the eccentric pair? 

 

Thanks for reading!! ^_^