The Storm

All I Care About

I'm home,” Sehun announced when he stepped inside with his shoes wet and his closed umbrella dripping on the floor.

 

As Sehun takes off his shoes, he could hear Baekhyun's voice coming from the living room – he sounded panicked.

 

Please tell me Luhan hyung is with --” Baekhyun ran into the hallway, and stopped when he spotted Sehun, and only Sehun. “You...”

 

Sehun narrowed his eyes at Baekhyun. “No. Why would he be with me?”

 

Baekhyun's eyes nervously darted around the hallway, and he frowned. Eventually, he took a deep breath and an apprehensive step back.

 

B-because Luhan hyung isn't h-home yet.” He took another small step back.

 

Sehun stood there for a few seconds, his mind still trying to connect what Baekhyun just said and the fact that his boyfriend hadn't appeared, grinning and ready to tackle Sehun with a hug like he always did.

 

Luhan's not here?

 

Sehun's eyes widened. Lu's not here.

 

What?! Why isn't he home yet?!” Sehun asked, voice loud and completely worried.

 

That's what I wanted to ask you!” Baekhyun shouted back, equally as worried.

 

The other boys stepped into the hallway, probably because they heard Sehun and Baekhyun.

 

Where did he go today?” Baekhyun asked.

 

Sehun instantly felt a chill course through his entire body. He knew something was going to happen when Luhan had told him his plans last night. He felt it. But this morning before he went to work, Luhan had assured him that he was going to be fine and that he would definitely bring his umbrella. And after kissing his boyfriend, he left for work, feeling better about the situation, ignoring the nagging feeling that still lingered. And now that this is happening, now that Luhan wasn't here, Sehun cursed himself for not going with his instinct and telling Luhan to stay.

 

H-he went to some museum an hour away...”

 

By himself? Or did he go with somebody?” Xiumin asked.

 

With Jinho.

 

Sehun's eyes met Baekhyun's and he knew immediately the older boy was going to freak out when he answered, but there was no point in keeping it from him either.

 

With Jinho.”

 

Baekhyun swallowed. “J-Jinho?”

 

Chanyeol eyed his boyfriend nervously, afraid that he might explode. When Baekhyun started trembling, something that usually happens when Baekhyun was suppressing his anger, his hand reached out to soothe his boyfriend. “Later Baek. Luhan hyung comes first.”

 

I'm going to get him,” Sehun said, bending down to put his shoes back on. But before he could get his left foot firmly in the shoe, Lay, who stood closest to him, grabbed his arm. Sehun looked up at him, confused.

 

The main roads are all closed, Sehun. There's no way you can get there. I'm sorry.” Kyungsoo looked at him apologetically.

 

WHAT?! THE ROADS ARE CLOSED?!”

 

Yes. They just shut them down because of the flooding,” Tao answered.

 

Sehun simply looked into all of his hyungs' eyes, hoping that they were lying and that this was some stupid joke. When he sensed nothing but sympathy and concern coming forth from them, he released a pained groan. This can't be happening!

 

But it was and Sehun was quickly realizing that if the roads were closed then Luhan was stuck. And if Luhan was stuck then he can't make it home. And if Luhan can't make it home, he'll stay somewhere for the night. And if he stayed somewhere for the night then.....

 

I'm going,” Sehun said, face determined and heart beating excruciatingly fast. He puts on his shoes haphazardly and he turns to open the front door.

 

Sehun. No,” Suho said, moving from behind him to block the door. “I'm sorry. I really am. But I can't let you go. Not in this weather.”

 

But hyung I have to,” Sehun pleaded. “Luhan --”

 

Wouldn't want you to risk your safety,” Lay finished. He placed his hands on Sehun's shoulders.“Everything is going to be fine. Luhan hyung is more than capable of taking care of himself. I'm sure the last thing he wants is for you to panic, so stay calm. Please. For everyone.”

 

But hyung,” Sehun croaked, fighting back his insane urge to push Suho away from the door and run to where Luhan was. “I can't stay calm. I can't.” Sehun shook his head. “Not when he's not here.”

 

Oh Sehun,” Baekhyun said softly when he walked over to hug Sehun. “We understand. We do.”

 

Hyung, I have to --”

 

Shhhh,” Baekhyun shushed him, arms still around Sehun. “I know what I'm about to say won't make you feel better, but just listen okay?”

 

Sehun took a deep breath before he nodded, slowly accepting the reality that there really wasn't anything he can do.

 

You can't go to Luhan hyung. There's no way. I know you're not going to feel assured until you see Luhan hyung for yourself, but I'm sure he's fine. Positive. He's probably panicking as much as you are now, but Sehun understand that there isn't anything he can do – isn't anything you can do. But you can talk to him.” Baekhyun smiled.

 

Honestly, Sehun had completely forgotten about the existence of cell phones. His mind had already concluded that seeing Luhan was the only way he can get through this – talking to him through an electronic device simply didn't cut it.

 

But it will have to do. He had no other choice.

 

You're so busy thinking about mission impossible that you forgot you can still call him and hear his voice. Hear him tell you that he's fine. Maybe that would make you feel a little better,” Baekhyun finished, finally releasing his arms from Sehun's waist. Sehun quickly fumbled inside his pockets for his cell phone.

 

We're going to leave you alone while you talk to him, but promise us you won't run out that door,” Baekhyun said sternly.

 

We really won't mind getting caught in the storm just to drag your back home,” Chanyeol added with a small smile.

 

Sehun sighed and nodded, promising his hyungs he won't run out. “But as soon as the road opens, I'm going,” Sehun said, leaving no room for arguments.

 

Kai smiled. “We won't stop you then.”

 

We'll hand you the keys to the car before you can even ask,” Kris said, giving Sehun a gentle pat on the back.

 

We'll even give you gas money,” Chen added with a grin.

 

Thanks.”

 

The other boys all left, leaving Sehun alone with his cell phone and his worries. He walked into the living room and took a seat on the couch, pulling out his phone. He looked at the picture on his lock screen – the picture of Luhan laughing.

 

Sehun had taken the photo on a Sunday afternoon when he had decided to impersonate Luhan, so he was the one that took photos of everything his boyfriend did, and Luhan found it extremely entertaining. All of the photos he had taken were of Luhan laughing at him. Though he had complained that Luhan wasn't the ideal model for pictures due to his constant laughter, inside he felt like they were all beautiful pictures. It was Luhan when he's happiest. When he's simply laughing and smiling. When he's with Sehun.

 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Sehun's phone vibrated, indicating a call. It was from Luhan.

 

Sehun immediately swiped the screen, answering the call. “Lu?!”

 

When Luhan didn't answer, Sehun paled. “Lu?”

 

Finally when Luhan replied, “Sehun-ah,” Sehun felt a mix of emotions. Relieved because Luhan was on the line. But also terrified because Luhan sounded broken.

 

Are you okay?” Sehun asked calmly though he felt far from it. But he knew that if he was to sound panicked, Luhan would probably burst into tears on the other line. And that Sehun definitely can't handle. No.

 

Yes. I'm fine. Are you?” Luhan asked. Sehun frown because he could feel Luhan's worry transmitting from the other end.

 

Could be better,” Sehun answered, chuckling a little to lighten Luhan's mood.

 

And it worked because he could feel Luhan smiling on the other line.

 

Where are you?” Sehun asked, once again voice calm.

 

I'm at an inn near highway exit 41.”

 

You're not alone are you?”

 

No, Jinho is here, but he's in the other room.”

 

Selun was quiet after that. He couldn't decide whether he should feel relieved that Luhan wasn't alone, or paranoid because Luhan was at an inn with Jinho.

 

Sehun-ah?”

 

I'm here.”

 

He could hear Luhan sighing. “The roads are closed, Sehun-ah.”

 

I know,” Sehun said softly.

 

I can't get home, Sehun-ah.”

 

I know.”

 

I can't be with you tonight, Sehun-ah.”

 

Sehun sighed. He felt his chest constricting painfully. “I know.”

 

But I'm going to be fine,” Luhan said, and Sehun could picture him nodding his head, trying to convince himself that he was going to be fine without Sehun there.

 

Sehun broke into a small smile. “I know, Bambi.”

 

You believe me right? That I'll be okay.”

 

Yes. I do.”

 

As soon as the roads open, I'm rushing home,” Luhan promised.

 

As soon as the roads open, I'm going to get you, Sehun thought as he listened to Luhan telling him that under no circumstances should Sehun try to come get him. The boy told him that it's absolutely dangerous and that he'll be furious if Sehun did somehow managed to get to where he was through this storm.

 

Promise me,” Luhan demanded when he was done.

 

Promise I won't do anything stupid.”

 

Good.”

 

But if anything happens to you, I'm going. I'll swim if I have to.”

 

Luhan giggled on the other line, probably under the impression that Sehun was joking and simply saying that to cheer him up. Though he couldn't be more serious, Sehun allowed his boyfriend to think that. If that was what got Luhan to think about something other than being stranded somewhere he's never been, Sehun was more than happy to encourage it.

 

You're not a good swimmer,” Luhan noted, his voice lighter than it was when Sehun first spoke to him.

 

Sehun scoffed. “I'll have you know I was the captain of my high school's swim team.”

 

Really?”

 

No, but I'm still a great swimmer.” The wonderful sound of Luhan's bubbly laughter motivated Sehun to continue. “No matter where you are, I'm coming to you. I'll swim across the Pacific Ocean if I have to.”

 

Sehun smiled when he heard Luhan scoffing and laughing. “You're not a fish, Sehun-ah,” Luhan later said.

 

No. But I am a merman.”

 

Really?” Luhan asked, cheerfully playing along.

 

Yes.”

 

How come I've never seen your fish tail?”

 

It's only activated when you're away from me and the only means of getting to you is if I swim. That's the only time you can see it.”

 

Hm. But aside from that it's useless?”

 

Heyyy.”

 

Luhan laughed and this time Sehun laughed along. So Baekhyun was right because talking to Luhan did make him feel better about the situation.

 

Sehun proceeded to ask Luhan what he did today and how his trip to the museum went. Luhan happily answered, recounting every detail. He even told Sehun about the cool pamphlet everyone got when they entered the exhibit, about the old tour guide who asked why he wasn't with his parents (mistaking him for a child), and about the number of pictures he took during the trip. And Sehun listened, occasionally replying to let Luhan know that he heard every word. He honestly could listen to Luhan talk all night.

 

But of course, things did not go as he wanted them to.

 

After Luhan described the inn that he and Jinho were currently staying at, Sehun heard faint beeping.

 

Uhh. Sehun-ah, my phone is running out of battery.”

 

Sehun closed his eyes and rubbed his temple. Everything was going wrong today.

 

Sehun-ah, I didn't bring my charger,” Luhan said, and Sehun could sense him fidgeting – probably feeling uneasy about not being able to talk to Sehun anymore.

 

Obviously because I'm here at home.”

 

Luhan giggled, and Sehun could tell he had stopped fidgeting. “I'll let you slide this time, but next time, always take me with you. That's an order.”

 

Yes sir!”

 

Sehun chuckled because he could imagine Luhan, sitting alone on the bed, saluting to no one.

 

Before I suddenly get disconnected, I wanted to tell you --”

 

That you love me very much?”

 

No. I wanted to tell you to stay safe and to keep your fish tail inactivated,” Luhan teased.

 

Yeah yeah.”

 

Sehun could hear more beeps coming from Luhan's phone. Their phone call was going to end soon, but he was going to stay on until then.

 

Lu?”

 

Hmm?”

 

Everything's fine,” Sehun said as he reached for the remote to turn on the television. “Don't worry too much. We'll see each other soon.”

 

I know.”

 

Sehun flipped the channels on the television, stopping at the news channel. News of the flood warnings were being reported, and there were pictures of a few roads being completely covered in water.

 

Lu,” Sehun mumbled. “Stay safe okay? I can't have my Bambi in danger alright?”

 

Sehun-ahh,” Luhan moaned, sounding embarrassed.

 

What? I always call you Bambi.”

 

Yeah, but you've never refer to me as your Bambi.”

 

Well, whose Bambi would you be if you're not mine?”

 

Aishh. Sehun-ahhhh. That's too cheesy.”

 

It's true though.”

 

Still cheesy.”

 

Whatever Bambi.”

 

Beep beep beep beep.

 

Time was ticking away and Sehun dreaded it.

 

Seconds from now, he won't be able to hear Luhan's voice anymore and the thought was extremely unsettling.

 

Sehun-ah, don't stay up too late. I love --”

 

The line went dead.

 

You,” Sehun finished for Luhan. He dropped the phone on the couch and turned his attention to the television. He was going to watch the news for any announcements of roads opening up. He wasn't going to wait for Luhan to come home. No. He was going to personally bring him home.

 

Crap.

 

Sehun suddenly realized that he didn't know which room Luhan was staying in. He grabbed his phone and dialed Jinho's number. Why didn't I think of this?

 

Luhan's phone may be dead, but surely Jinho's phone worked. He could just call and ask his friend to put Luhan on the line. He admits that it is somewhat inconsiderate to use Jinho's phone to talk to his boyfriend, but Jinho would understand.

 

Ringggg. Ringgg. Ringgg.

 

Why isn't he picking up?

 

Sehun waited for a few more rings. Nothing. Jinho didn't pick up. After a while, the phone sent him straight to voice mail. That's odd.

 

Sehun tried calling Jinho again, but like the first time, he didn't get through. He called again. Still no answer.

 

Dispirited, Sehun left a voice message on Jinho's phone – asking him to call him back as soon as he gets it.

 

He threw the phone down when he was done, his eyes returning to the television screen.

 

If Jinho doesn't call him back by the time he gets there, Sehun decided that he'll just knock on every door until he finds the room that has Luhan. Every single one of them.

 

******

Jinho and Luhan didn't stay downstairs for long because after they were done eating, they returned to their room. Luhan had a smile on his face, and Jinho assumed he was probably satisfied with the meal they just had. The boy had been in a good mood, eating and laughing with Jinho, causing the latter to momentarily forget that they were only here because there was no way home.

 

Being here isn't so bad right hyung?” Jinho asked as he closed the door behind them.

 

Hm,” Luhan hummed, plopping down on the couch. Jinho soon joined him.

 

What do you want to do now?” Jinho asked, eager to do anything with the other.

 

How about we talk?” Luhan turned to face him, crossing his legs on the couch.

 

Jinho arched a brow. “Talk?”

 

Yeah. Get to know each other more. We've been so busy with the project lately, I feel as though that's all we talk about.”

 

Jinho grinned. “I also feel that way.”

 

Well then you go first,” Luhan said with a smile.

 

What do you want to know?”

 

Ummm.” Luhan placed his index finger on his finger, contemplating. “How you and Sehun met. I've always wanted to know.”

 

Jinho frowned a bit because of course it would be about Sehun. It always is.

 

Why?” Jinho dared to ask.

 

Because even though you're both so different, I feel as though there's something that brings the two of you together. That only the two of you share,” Luhan answered after careful consideration.

 

We were friends since preschool, so maybe what we share is history?”

 

Luhan shook his head. “I'm sure there's something else.”

 

Yeah. Our affections for you.

 

When Luhan gave him an adorable pout, Jinho couldn't refuse him, so with a sigh, Jinho leaned back on the couch and began telling Luhan the story of how he met Sehun.

 

FLASHBACK

 

It was a stormy afternoon when five-year old Jinho got off the preschool bus. His mother had always told him to come straight home whenever he got off, but today, as he was walking home, he spotted something that caught his eye, something that caused him to stop walking.

 

It was a little boy around his age. He had dark hair and a tiny frame, definitely skinnier than Jinho. The boy was standing at the corner of the street, soaking wet, and holding a small backpack above his head.

 

Jinho didn't know who he was or why he was standing in the rain, but something told him that he should help him, so he ran over to the boy and immediately shielded the other with his Spiderman umbrella.

 

Startled, the small boy looked at him.

 

Why are you outside?” Jinho asked.

 

The boy looked at him funny, his eyes quickly scanning Jinho's appearance.

 

Aren't you cold?” Jinho continued to ask.

 

D-do I know you,” the small boy squeaked when Jinho moved closer to him.

 

No. I don't think so...”

 

Then why are you talking to me?”

 

Because you need help. And my mom told me to always help my friends.”

 

F-friends?” The boy took a step back, uncomfortable with being so close to a strange boy he's never met.

 

Jinho stepped forward, closing the gap between them again. “Stop walking back. My umbrella isn't that big.”

 

The boy looked up at the umbrella over their heads and then back at Jinho. “Who are you?”

 

My name is Lee Jinho. I'm 5 years old and I go to preschool.”

 

You're weird,” the boy mumbled.

 

You're weird too,” Jinho argued, feeling a little offended that the boy called him that.

 

The boy glared at him, clearly not pleased with being called weird.

 

Why are you out here?” Jinho pressed on because he was extremely curious for a five-year old.

 

Because I don't want to live with my aunt and uncle.”

 

Why not?”

 

Because I want to live with my mom. Just my mom.”

 

Why don't you then?”

 

Because she's making me stay with them. She says someone has to look after me while she looks for a job. But I don't want to stay there.”

 

What's wrong with your aunt and uncle?”

 

They're not my mom,” the boy said point blank.

 

But they're still your family,” Jinho reasoned. “I'm sure they're worried about you, so why don't you go back home.”

 

The boy shook his head. “No. I want to go back to the house where my mom and I used to live, so I'm going to wait here for my mom to come back.”

 

In the rain?”

 

The boy nodded.

 

Are you stupid?”

 

Anger quickly flashed through the small boy's eyes. “I'm not stupid!”

 

Then why are you waiting outside in the rain? Aren't you afraid of getting in trouble with your mom?”

 

The small boy opened his mouth to argue, but nothing came out – probably because what Jinho said made sense.

 

I can take you home,” Jinho offered. “I live around the corner, so if you tell me where you're staying, I can take you there.”

 

No thanks. I can walk by myself,” the small boy said, puffing out his chest. Apparently, he didn't want Jinho to think he was some sort of baby that needed someone to walk him home. He turned to walk towards the street that led to Jinho's house.

 

Heyy! Wait!” Jinho called out, quickly placing his umbrella over the other boy. “You need my umbrella to stay dry, so let's go together okay?”

 

I'm already wet.”

 

But still. You don't want to get more wet do you?”

 

The boy's eyes lingered on Jinho's for a second before he huffed and continued walking, not bothering to answer Jinho's question.

 

What's your name?”

 

Why do you need to know?”

 

Because you know my name.”

 

I didn't ask for it.”

 

Still. Tell me your name.”

 

The boy ignored him and continued walking ahead. When he stopped at the gate that belonged to the biggest house in the neighborhood, Jinho gawked at him.

 

You live here?!”

 

My aunt and uncle does.”

 

Whoaaaa,” Jinho said in awe. He lived two doors down from this house (more like mansion), and every day when he walked home, he would stare amazed at the size of the house behind the silver gates. He'd always wonder what kind of person lived in the house and whether they had children around his age so he could play with him. And now that he knows about the boy staying here, he was completely ecstatic because he's no longer the only kid on the street. The idea of not having to go far to play with someone his age appealed to him greatly.

 

Sehun!” A woman's voice breaking the silence between the two boys. She was running down the steps with a big umbrella in hand. When she got close to the gates, she quickly punched in the pass code and the gates opened.

 

Oh my goodness! I was worried sick about you! I reported you missing to the police! Sehun why did you run away?!” The lady rushed over and picked the boy up. Sehun?

 

Sehun, who refused to look at the lady, murmured, “Because I want to go home with Mom.”

 

The lady frowned. “But Sehun, you have to live here now. Your home is here.”

 

But--”

 

Your mom needs us to take care of you when she's away, but if it makes you feel better, how about I tell you that as soon as she finds a stable job, she will take you back to your old house? That's what she told me the other day, Sehun. Does that sound okay?”

 

The boy named Sehun nodded meekly, and the lady smiled. She looked down and spotting Jinho, her eyes soften. “Is this your new friend?”

 

Before Sehun could say no, Jinho shouted, “Yes ma'am!”

 

The boy whirled around to gawk at Jinho, while the lady laughed. She placed Sehun back down on the ground and gave Jinho's head an affectionate pat. “What's your name sweetheart?”

 

Jinho. Lee Jinho.”

 

Oh! Is your mother Lee Bin Soo?”

 

Jinho nodded. The lady smiled. “She's a good friend of mine, so you must be the son she talks about.”

 

Jinho grinned. “Uh huh.”

 

How about you come in for cookies and I'll call your mom and tell her where you are.”

 

Okay!”

 

As Sehun and Jinho walked up the steps leading to Sehun's house, Jinho sensed Sehun eyeing him every few seconds. Jinho playfully nudged him on the side.

 

Now I know your name, Sehun.” He stuck out his tongue and blew a raspberry.

 

Since Sehun's aunt turned to look the boys, the other boy had no choice but to simply glare at Jinho. When they got inside, Sehun's aunt quickly ordered them to dry off in Sehun's room before they could have cookies. When they were done, the two boys took a seat across from each other at the big dinner table with the plate of cookies right in the center. Sehun, who still hadn't gotten over Jinho's raspberry, glared at him, silently daring him to grab the first cookie. Jinho, who was not one to back down, stretched his arm out to grab a piece. Sehun did the same, resulting in both of them grabbing the same cookie. Sehun smirked and Jinho returned the gesture.

 

As they looked at each other, engaging in an undeclared staring contest, Jinho knew right then that he was going to like being friends with Sehun.

 

FLASHBACK ENDS

 

Awwww,” Luhan squealed. “That's so cute!”

 

Jinho smiled – more so because Luhan had squealed than the actual story.

 

I see that Sehun has always been mean to people he's just met,” Luhan commented, his voice coated in affection. Jinho felt something unpleasant stir deep inside of him as a result. 

 

When Luhan asked Jinho to tell him more about his and Sehun's childhood, Jinho glanced over at the clock and told him that it was getting late and that they should go to bed. They were merely excuses, because truthfully, he didn't want to talk about Sehun anymore.

 

While Luhan was in the bathroom washing his face, Jinho took out his phone and turned it back on. He immediately sees the notification of missed calls. They were all from Sehun.

 

He noticed the voice message notification, and though his index finger hovered over the open button for a split second, he decided not to open it. He turned off his phone once again and stuffed it in the back of his pocket.

 

When Luhan got out of the bathroom, Jinho looked at him, feelings of guilt and shame slowly overwhelming him.

 

He doesn't know if his facial expression is giving him away.

 

He prays that it doesn't though.

 

He can't imagine how Luhan would react if he found out that Jinho had ignored all of Sehun's calls.

 

Please don't hate me hyung.

 

Luhan blinked at him. “Is something wrong, Jinho?”

 

Jinho quickly shook his head. “No. Nothing's wrong.”

 

It's everything.

 

 

 

~~~~~~ SMH JINHO. SMH. He's pretty much willingly walking to the bad side now. Tsk. Meanwhile, HUNHANNNNNNNNNN. ASDFJGHL. They're so cute. The phone conversation...asagjgjhkhjl. I love how Sehun stayed calm to help Luhan relax and how he joked around to make him laugh. It's sooo sweet because he's also freaking out about not seeing Lulu, but he rather not have Lulu sad. And then the Sehun-Jinho flashback. Interesting. Storms appear to be some sort of symbol for those two. It's how they met and how things started changing in their relationship (though Sehun doesn't know how they've changed). Not yet at least. He gets that something is off, but nothing on the level of what Jinho is actually doing. I will update soon :D

 

Now how about HUNHAN's pink hair?!?!?!?! OMG. I fangirled so hard when I saw Luhan with pink  hair. If you haven't noticed, Luhan is my ultimate bias and everything about him is perfect. Lol. He is honestly one of the few idols who can pull off any hair color effortless. Everything just suits him. Gray, platinum blond, pink. You name it. Gahhhh I love it. He's soo adorable. *Dies*  (Credits for the awesome photos go to their lucky owners!)