Advances

The Dull One

"Unnie pleaseeeeee~~~" Chaekyung pleaded cutely. "Please will you do that for me?" she beamed, her large eyes fluttering cutely.

Jaekyung glanced at her sister and chuckled softly. "You do know that I'm a girl and your aegyo is of no use to me at all, right?" she laughed, shaking her head.

"But unnie!" Chaekyung huffed and sat down beside her sister who was reading a book on the couch. "You know I'm absolutely useless at cooking and the likes. Only you can help me with this!"

Jaekyung nodded, humming her agreement. "Yes I know. Do not forget I am one of the few who personally tasted your cooking disaster just half a year ago." she muttered. Chaekyung hit Jaekyung's arm playfully and the elder sister laughed.

"No really, Chae." she sat up, shutting her book. "I'm hesitant not because I don't want to help you, but this L we're talking about, you've only known him for a week and you guys aren't even close." she frowned. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Absolutely." Chaekyung nodded. "We met for a week but we kind of said hi when we passed in the hallways." her cheeks pinked. "And I really really reeeeeeally like him, unnie."

Jaekyung sighed. "You do know that once you give him the cupcakes you're actually telling him you're interested, right?" she warned. "Baring your interests to him makes you vulnerable, and I still have doubts for this L guy. I haven't even seen him before."

"Oh unnie!" Chaekyung exclaimed. "You're missing out then. He's absolutely gorgeous I'm sure even you'll agree with me." she giggled. "And yes I'm sure. I heard from Yoomi that L oppa hasn't had a girlfriend yet, he isn't the type to play with hearts either and he's a good person. I want to do this."

Jaekyung looked at her sister and saw the sincerity radiating from her eyes, the longing and the desire. Her first time participating in her sister's crush, how could she not help?

"Alright." Jaekyung nodded reluctantly. "But you're paying for the ingredients okay?"

"Kyaaah thanks unnie!" Chaekyung threw her arms around her sister. "You're awesome unnie!" she squealed. Jaekyung shook her head in amusement and hugged her sister back. Chaekyung pointed over to a grocery bag on the table. "And don't worry about the ingredients, I already prepared them."

 

 

 

"You already knew I was going to help, didn't you?" Jaekyung asked accusingly.

Chaekyung nodded with a soft giggle as they approached the school gates. She hugged the box of delicately made cupcakes and smiled softly. "I know you're not going to see me struggle with the oven and burn the house down, unnie." she shrugged. "We're here. Wish me luck."

Jaekyung nodded and resisted the urge to wave as she saw several students already in their proximity. She pretended not to know who Chaekyung was and walked to class. She hoped her sister wouldn't get hurt.

-----

"How's your weekend dude?" Sunggyu bumped shoulders with L. "Been a week since you returned to Seoul, missing the caucasian babes yet?" he teased.

L rolled his eyes and shook his head. "I think you should get a girlfriend hyung. You sound positively deprived and desperate." he said seriously.

Dongwoo guffawed in laughter when he heard L's response and L shot a look at his second eldest hyung. "You too Dongwoo hyung. Get a love life."

The Infinite boys moved to their lockers and retrieved their books for the day. "Wish you came out with us clubbing, L." Sungyeol told him. "It'd be fun seeing you squirm while those girls approached you with their short skirts and low cut blouses." he grinned.

L shuddered at the thought and muttered under his breath. "."

"What did you do if you didn't come out with us then, hyung?" Sungjong asked curiously. L shrugged. "I packed my room a bit, moving the stuff back. And I read a bit more of the past newsletter and tried out my own writing style. Still working on it."

Hoya clicked his tongue. "Already sounding like a nerd. Be glad you look nothing like one, L." L shrugged, not caring if his actions were dorky or whatever. He kind of accepted that he was a nerd inside, just that with a face like that no one would really believe him. So what? He liked books, was that a sin too?

"Hey. I think your girlfriend's looking for you." Woohyun nudged L, wriggling his brows suggestively. Irritated, L whirled around. "What the hell are you-" he faltered. "Oh."

Chaekyung blinked at him and looked at the Infinite boys hesitantly. "Am I not welcome here, L oppa?"

"NO NO NO!" Sunggyu waved his hands furiously. He pushed Chaekyung nearer to L and smiled assuringly. "You're welcome here. ABSOLUTELY welcome."

Chaekyung blinked confusedly at the Infinite boys who were smiling encouragingly at her and she scratched her head. "Is there a problem here that I don't know of?"

"No." L elbowed Sungyeol who had been wriggling his eyebrows suggestively at him. "Nothing's wrong." He turned to look at Chaekyung and offered a polite smile. "Is there a matter, Chaekyung?"

Chaekyung nodded and she blushed lightly. She held the ribboned box up and bit her lip shyly. "Well uh, I made some cupcakes for you, L oppa. In return for that ride home last friday." she murmured.

"You drove her home last friday?" Dongwoo blurted.

L shot his hyung a look and his hands moved to take the box hesitantly. "Uhm...thanks then. No problem, really." he cleared his throat awkwardly. He opened the box and his eyes widened, the Infinite boys "WOAH-ing" beside him.

The cupcakes looked extremely delectable and were incredibly well made, soft and creamy. Hmmm~

"Wow, you made these?" L gaped. "That's...amazing."

Chaekyung reddened and she looked at her feet. "No problem." she shifted her weight from one feet to another awkwardly, as if waiting for him to say something more. L blinked at his hyungs questioningly and wondered what he was supposed to do.

"Uhm Chaekyung ah," Hoya cut in. "L doesn't dare say if, but he's asking if you want to go out with him on Saturday?"

L's eyes widened and he shot his hyung an accusing look and tried to shake his head but Chaekyung didn't notice. "Really?" she beamed. "I've love to, L oppa."

L mentally smacked himself and Hoya grinned in triumph, high-fiving with Sungjong. L scratched his head awkwardly and nodded. "So uh okay. I'll...I'll pick you up on Saturday afternoon then. Around four?"

"I'll be ready L oppa!" Chaekyung pinked and blushed cutely. "See you!" she darted off cutely to find her other friends and some of the other students who had seen what happened began talking about the potential Chae-soo couple.

L snapped his head towards Hoya accusingly. "HYUNG!!!!" he groaned.

"What?" Hoya protested. "You have to do that someday! I'm just speeding up the process! You've got to admit she's cute and  you don't mind her as a girlfriend right? You've got to have one some day!"

L sighed and raked his fingers through his hair.

True he did. But....was this the way to go? Was she the one?

 

 

 

"UNNIEEEEEE!!!!" Chaekyung burst through the doors. "UMMA! APPA! GUESS WHAT!!!"

Jaekyung looked up from her book and Mrs Lee poked her head out from the kitchen. Mr Lee blinked as he tore his eyes away from his soccer match on tv. "What?" they chorused together.

"L OPPA ASKED ME OUT ON A DATE TODAY!!!!" Chaekyung squealed. She ran to hug a pillow on the couch and twirled around with it like she was dancing. "Kyaaa!!!"

Mr Lee shook his head in amusement and returned his eyes to the soccer match just as the ball went into the goal. "SCORE!" he pumped his fists in the air. He felt someone eying him from the corner of his eye and saw his wife frowning disapprovingly at him.

He grinned sheepishly. "Girl stuff, you handle right?"

Mrs Lee shook her head and turned her attention to Chaekyung. "He did, sweetie?" she smiled. "That's wonderful. But don't you remember your appa and I are going to go out on Saturday? We're visiting Halmeoni."

"Oh." Chaekyung blinked. "But I'm not going am I? I can still go on the date."

"Yeah, but you're forgetting something." Mrs Lee reminded. "Remember Jaekyung's piano recital's on Saturday? Your Appa and I are already absent for the recital, I thought you'd be there to support your sister or she'll have no one."

Chaekyung's face fell. "Oh."

Jaekyung immediately chucked her book aside and stood up. "It's okay umma. It's okay if there isn't anyone to see me perform." she assured. "I play because I like to, not for attention."

"But unnie-"

"Don't worry about it." Jaekyung patted her sister's head. "You go on the date with that L of yours and have a great time okay? Come back and tell me all about it. So, have you thought of what to wear?"

"Oh yeah! I have to start thinking about it!" Chaekyung burst up the stairs into her room hurriedly. Jaekyung smiled half-heartedly and let out a small sigh. It was just another small sacrifice. That was okay, she told herself.

Mrs Lee watched her daughter and sighed softly to herself. *I wish you weren't so giving all the time towards your sister, Jaekyung.*