Forever

The Dull One

Chaekyung felt the world fall away from her feet. "You say...unnie was ?"

Mrs Lee let out a gasp and she fell on the sofa in shock. "Jaekyung." she whispered. Mr Lee looked pale as he nudged Chaekyung away from the door and looked at the police officer. "Where is my daughter now?"

"She's currently at the hospital with the bunch of boys who had rescued her." The police officer told him. "Kim Junki is currently under arrest and he will be going to jail, he has already admitted to his crimes. I'm not too sure about her condition now though, she's in Seoul General Hospital. Do you want to hitch a ride in the police car?" he offered.

"That would be good." Mr Lee nodded shakily, knowing he couldn't drive safely with his mental condition.

He turned to his wife and daughter. "L-Lets go, Inhee. We've got to make sure she's okay." Mrs Lee nodded with a sob, picking up herself from the couch. Chaekyung followed blindly, the shock resonating throughout her body and the shocking news not yet acknowledged by her mind.

She just saw her sister in the morning. Her sister who was...not very happy because Chaekyung had been shutting her away, but that sister of hers had been well.

And now?

 

 

 

"How is she?" Chaekyung asked worriedly, looking pale as the three of them rushed to the hospital. The Infinite boys were there, looking tired and Sungjong looked like he cried.

L looked the worst, sitting in the corner and staring into space. His eyes were blotty, his breathing shallow and quick, his fingers interlocking and untangling again.

"She's being examined by the doctor inside to see if that bastard...that bastard hurt her in any other way." Sunggyu closed his eyes momentarily. He bowed at Mr and Mrs Lee. "I'm so sorry."

Mr Lee shook his head. "It's not your fault."

Mrs Lee sank on one of the hospital chairs weakly, shivering. "How could that boy do this to our Jaekyung?" she whispered, sobbing. "She's such a nice girl, and and...and..."

L didn't notice another tear rolling down his cheek.

His girl. His happy kind girl.

She was just broken like that. Physically, mentally, in all ways you can imagine. He didn't know if he could be able to pick up the broken pieces after her, he didn't know if he could let her recover to the Jaekyung in the past again. He would do everything, anything to help her do so.

The door opened and a female doctor came out. "Hi. Are you friends and family of Lee Jaekyung?" she looked at them. Woohyun nodded and they crowded around the doctor. L standing right in front. "How is she?" he croaked.

"Physically...besides well you know," the doctor cleared . "She's alright in every other area. What we are worried about is her mental trauma from this incident. When we were talking to her, she seemed really frightened. It's normal of course, victims of are obviously mentally troubled. But I think she may need some time before she can let males get closer to her again. When a male nurse accidentally came into the room while we were talking to her, she screamed. She was so frightened."

L looked at the ground, his heart aching.

"My advise is to let her get in touch with males slowly. For the next few days, maybe only let her father near." The doctor told them. "and then slowly, bit by bit, you can let her other male friends talk to her. But physical touch...you need to be careful about that for now. A slight touch can make her lose control, so it's better to be careful."

"But now, she's okay?" L asked weakly. "Like in other aspects?"

"Yes. The females, you can go in to see her. And her father, of course." The doctor nodded. She looked at the boys and frowned. "And the boys...I'm afraid I'll have to hide you from her for now."

"We understand." Hoya nodded. "Thank you."

The doctor bowed and went away. Chaekyung and Mrs Lee rushed into the ward, with Mr Lee following close after. L stared at the door as it clicked shut, yearning to be inside. He wanted to see her. Scratch that, he wanted to hold her.

But he couldn't.

L heard Chaekyung sobbing inside and Mrs Lee fussing over Jaekyung, and he swallowed. His hands reached out to touch the door, really really wanting to go in.

"Maybe you can peek." Sungyeol murmured. "This is a private moment, L. The boys figured we should go. You can stay and see if you want to peek or not. You know, just look at her. Don't let her see you or something. Just...stay strong mate. Don't break now, she needs you."

The Infinite boys thumped L on the shoulder and walked off.

L leaned near the door and put his ear against it. "Umma..I'm okay." a faint voice he made out as Jaekyung's murmured softly.

L swallowed. He pushed against the door gently, peeking in from a tiny slit.

He saw Jaekyung sitting on the bed, looking pale and still unfocused, but looking much better than the mess he had found a few hours ago. "Jae.." he whispered, his eyes fixated on her.

Jaekyung seemed to hear him at that moment and she slowly turned her head towards the door. L quickly pulled away,  dragging the door shut.

She wasn't ready to see him. But he would wait. Even if it took forever.

 

 

 

A week passed.

L went to the Lee house everyday to ask about Jaekyung secretly while she was in her room, and she had no idea he visited. They exchanged messages everyday and Jaekyung told him once that she was ready to see him.

But L decided to play safe and he waited a week, even though he longed to see her.

At the end of the week, L picked out his nicest outfit as he walked through the door. He swallowed nervously and Mrs Lee nodded at him. "She's ready, I think." she smiled softly. "Go in but...keep some distance from her for the time being."

"I understand." L nodded.

He walked up the stairs and saw Chaekyung coming out of her room. She smiled at L softly and walked up to him. "You're here to see unnie?"

L nodded, taking a deep breath. Chaekyung looked back at Jaekyung's room and bit her lip. "She's...still a little unstable at times. I'm not sure what her reaction would be to you. A teenage boy of our age, she hasn't seen one for a week. I'm not sure if she'll be scared or not."

"I know. But I'll wait, I'll do everything to heal her scars." L murmured.

Chaekyung looked up at L, taking in his fatigue laden face that looked a few years older than he did a week before. "L oppa...I just want to say that...I give you and unnie my blessings. Whatever you two did to me, whatever happened in the past, I want to forget it."

L looked at her. "Chaekyung..."

"Friends?" Chaekyung held out her hand.

L gave it one firm shake and nodded. "Friends." he was about to go into Jaekyung's room when he stopped. He bit his lip and dug out a certain red leather bound book from his jacket.

"I think...it's two years of your life. You have the right to know." L murmured. He passed the book to Chaekyung. "Read it carefully, Chaekyung. And I just want to let you know that, the you now isn't the you then. You're different now, so don't take it to heart."

Chaekyung blinked at him and stared at the book.

Her sister's diary.

"What..?" Chaekyung murmured, flipping to the first page. She got downstairs and sat on the couch, and she started to read.

-----

L knocked on the door, his nerves making him jumpy. He had been really forward about his feelings ever since he knew about his feelings for Jaekyung, and he was never shy to show her he loved her.

But now, he was nervous. Nervous beyond belief.

The door knob slowly turned and the door opened, revealing the one girl he yearned to see. "Myungsoo." Jaekyung looked up at him, her eyes shining.

They stood there, staring at each other as they took in each others' appearance.

"You look haggard, Myungsoo." Jaekyung's eyes scanned his face. "Haven't you been sleeping?"

"You too." L murmured.  "We can be the haggard couple."

Jaekyung smiled, her lips curling up in just the minutest movement. L swallowed, his arms aching to hold her. "Jae, do you think I can...I can hug you?" he croaked. "I missed you. I missed you so much."

Jaekyung stared at him, tears gathering in her eyes. She gave a small nod.

L took a step towards her, closing their gap. His movement was slow as he slowly reached out to touch her shoulders.

At that moment, Jaekyung flinched.

It was the smallest of moments but L caught it. He immediately retracted his hands, staring at her for her reaction. "You're not ready."

Jaekyung bit her lip and shook her head. "I can do this. It's just a hug and I-"

"Jae, you're not ready." L murmured. "I can wait. I will wait." he whispered. He stared at her longingly, biting his lips. "Do you think...holding hands..?"

Jaekyung nodded and L reached out to take her hand slowly, watching her face. When she didn't show signs of fear or discomfort, he interlaced their fingers together and just savored the way her hands fit in his.

He stared at their interlocked hands and caressed her hand with his thumb.

"I'm sorry." he whispered. "If I wasn't late that day-"

"It's not your fault." Jaekyung shook her head. "It was...." she looked away, biting her lips. "T-traumatising. But I'm Lee Jaekyung. I'm strong. I'll live through it."

She turned back, wiping a tear from her cheek. "And you'll be here with me won't you?"

L nodded, bringing her hand up to his lips and kissing her fingertips softly. "I'll be here with you. Forever."