I love you

The Dull One

Chaekyung watched as L smiled softly at Jaekyung, brushing her hair softy and taking her hand with utter gentleness, murmuring something in her ear.

Chaekyung looked away, squeezing her eyes shut.

He never did that. He never did that with her, ever.

Chaekyung felt the squeezing in her heart intensify and she quickly walked away before she puked on the spot.

She wanted to be happy for her sister. How many times had she asked Jaekyung to get a boyfriend already? She wanted her sister to get her happiness because she knew her sister deserved it.

But at the cost of her own happiness?

Chaekyung sniffled, a tear trickling down her cheek. She hugged her bag and made her way back to her room without letting the two in the kitchen know she was back home.

She didn't know if she could survive this for long.

-----

"I'm going up to my room to eat." Chaekyung scooped the dishes onto her plate and grabbed her cutlery and drink, making her way to the stairs.

Jaekyung's face fell. "Why don't you stay here, Chae? Eating just takes half an hour, tops. I'm sure you can afford that." She pleaded.

Chaekyung stopped, staring at the ground.

"No, actually I can't." She murmured. "I'll go up to my room." She darted up the stairs, swallowing hard.

She closed the door and a sob escaped her. She trembled as she sank down on the floor and put her food down, hugging her knees.

"I can't face you now, unnie. I can't. I can't when every time I look at you, I see you as the girl L oppa loves. And I want to be you, unnie. I want to be you so badly."







"Hey." L murmured, frowning.

It had been a week since Jaekyung and L announced that they were together, a week after Chaekyung found out about them.

Jaekyung hadn't genuinely smiled once since, even though L tried so hard to patch things up between the sisters. Somehow, he just wasn't the person to so it right then, because he was the person who caused them such pain at first.

He forgot how many times he had sighed and rubbed his temples, blaming himself for everything.

If only he hasn't accepted Chaekyung. If only he knew his feelings from the beginning. If only he wasn't so dense.

Seeing Jaekyung's puffy red eyes again, L felt something in him die. He gently tugged on her arm and she fell against his chest. He circled his arms around her and tightened his grip, burying his face in her hair.

"Myungsoo?" Jaekyung's curious muffled voice came sounding in his ear.

L let out a small sigh and kissed her temple. "Please don't cry anymore." He muttered. "It kills me when you do."

Jaekyung wriggled out of his grasp and forced a sunny smile on her face. "I'm fine now." She convinced.

L flicked her forehead. "No you're not. And we're going to do something about it." He took her hand and dragged her to his car. Jaekyung stumbled after him, wondering what this was about.

"Myungsoo, I thought we were going to the library together." Jaekyung asked. "It's just down the road, we don't need to drive."

"That's because we aren't going to the library." L led her to the door and opened it for her. Jaekyung darted in in confusion and L just grinned at her, going around the car to the driver's seat and starting the engine.

"Myungsoo?" Jaekyung blinked, her heart still leaping madly whenever he smiled that goofy grin at her.

"We're going on a date." L told her firmly. "We've been together for a week, liked each other for a longer time than that but we haven't gone anywhere for a date before. As official girlfriend boyfriend, I want to do that."

L drove off. Jaekyung looked back at her house and her gaze fixated on Chaekyung's window. "But-"

"She has to learn, Jae." L murmured. "And you have to, too."

"Me?" Jaekyung twirled around to look at him, astounded. "What do I have to learn?" She huffed.

L sent her a small smile. "Living for yourself."

 

 

 

"Myungsoo..." Jaekyung gaped, speechless. "Okay. Okay. I've got to calm down." she fanned herself as she struggled in her long diver's suit. "Myungsoo have I ever told you you're the most romantic guy on earth?"

L chuckled in amusement and flicked her forehead. "No, but I don't mind hearing it." he mused. "And most girls wouldn't think this as romantic either."

Jaekyung gave him a look to show how she wasn't most girls. She beamed around her as the sound of water splashed around her and children's laughter all around. She couldn't keep the smile off her face, a drastic change from her previous forced smiles.

Oh L...

L took her hand and led her to the trainer who was smiling, waiting for them. "Hi, this is L and Jaekyung?" the man smiled at them. "Nice to meet you. I'm Dolphin trainer, Kim Junsu." his voice was slightly airy and high, and L vaguely thought it was appropriate for him to be a dolphin trainer since he sounded like one.

"Hi." Jaekyung bit her lip to contain her excitement. She looked into the reserve and saw three dolphins currently having the time of their lives as one of the trainers played around with them with a ball. One of the dolphins balanced the ball on it's nuzzle and leaped into the air, turning a full round before diving into the water again.

"Wow." Jaekyung whispered in awe. "You mean we can....we can touch them?" she squeaked in excitement.

Junsu chuckled. "Touch and kiss if you want to." he signalled for them to follow. "Come on, we'll disinfect your hands and we can start the interaction session."

L smiled as he watched Jaekyung nearly bounce as she followed Junsu, and he was extremely pleased with himself about this choice. His girl wasn't just any other girl who would be satisfied by mundane shopping around the malls and catching a boring chick-lit.

His girl deserved special moments like this, even though it kind of burned a huge hole in his pocket. He wasn't going to let his dad know about this, ever.

"Touch the dolphins all you want, Jaekyung. But remember your lips are mine." L whispered as they neared the water. Jaekyung shot him an amused look. "You're jealous of dolphins?"

"Hm." L watched the adorable mammals and grinned. "Look at them, it's hard to find someone cuter than me but...."

"Hm you're right. I think I'm going to rethink my choice of a boyfriend." Jaekyung tapped her chin, pretending to think. L bumped her shoulders and rolled his eyes, smiling.

"Hey you two, stop flirting if you want to meet Mimi here." Junsu gestured. Jaekyung darted over quickly and crouched beside Junsu, her eyes wide as she stared at the dolphin in the water just by the pool side. L crouched down beside her and stared at the animal, surprised to see how large it was.

The dolphin was larger than even his entire length, a surprising discovery since it had such a cute face.

"Mimi, say hi." Junsu whistled.

The dolphin, apparently called Mimi, tilted to it's side and lifted it's fin out of the water and waved it around, letting out a high toned squeak.

"So cute!" Jaekyung squealed, which really meant she was amused since Jaekyung never squealed, ever. L smiled as he waved back at the dolphin. "Hi Mimi~"

Junsu chuckled and gestured for them to crouch nearer. "You can touch her forehead if you want, as long as you keep your hands in front o her eyes and let her see what you're doing first. Once you gain her trust, you can caress the top of her head as well."

Jaekyung and L moved closer to touch the dolphin's nuzzle. "Feels like wet rubber." L exclaimed in awe. Jaekyung nodded unconsiously and she smiled at the dolphin. "Mimi can I touch the top of your head?"

Jaekyung looked over at Junsu and the dolphin trainer nodded. Jaekyung reached out to tap the top of Mimi's head, letting out a soft gasp. "Myungsoo, look at her eyes. It looks like she has feelings."

"Of course she does." Junsu smiled. "And she looks like she likes you two." the dolphin squealed and Junsu pretended to lean over. The dolphin rose out of the water to Junsu's ear and squealed. "Oooh, she says you two look good as a couple."

"She didn't!" Jaekyung laughed. "You're lying!"

"Nuhuh, I can talk to dolphins, didn't I tell you that?" Junsu smiled and dived into the water. "Come on Mimi let's do some tricks for the sweet couple shall we?"

-----

"Thank you for today, Myungsoo. I can't express it enough." Jaekyung bit her lip, her eyes shining. "And I have no idea how much you spent for something like that. Don't do it again!"

L smiled and ruffled her hair, pulling her close. "It doesn't matter. You're smiling now, aren't you?"

Jaekyung softened and she leaned against his shoulder. "I don't deserve you." she whispered. "You're perfect."

"No I'm not." L shook his head, almost laughing at the idea. "I'm far from perfect. But because you think I am, I know you love me." he kissed the top of her head. "Go in, it's late. I'll call you at night."

Jaekyung nodded and she tip toed, kissing his cheek. She waved a goodbye and almost skipped to the door. L was gratified to see that the event he prepared really worked.

"And Jae?"

Jaekyung looked back curiously.

"I love you." L murmured.

"I love you too."