Disapproval

The Dull One

 

The next morning on Monday, Chaekyung woke up earlier than Jaekyung for the first time. She got to the bathroom, washed up and changed and got to the breakfast table just as her mother set down the first plate of toast.

Mrs Lee blinked in surprise. "Chaekyung? Why are you so early today?"

Chaekyung's eyes were red from crying and her lips showed not a tinge of smile. "I'm going to take the bus today." she muttered, shoving a bread into . She was hungry, famished, actually. She skipped dinner the previous night and she was going to show her sister and L that she could survive even without them.

Mrs Lee softened, sighing. "Chaekyung, you've got to understand that you can't force love." she advised. "If Myungsoo couldn't love you-"

"Do you think that makes me better?" Chaekyung cut her mother off, sniffling. "That L oppa really really tried to fall in love with me but couldn't? That he didn't even try but he was already heads over heals in love with unnie? Am I that unattractive, umma?" she stared at her toast.

"Chaekyung, you're not unattractive." Mrs Lee sighed and sat down. "Myungsoo is just not the one for you. You'll find someone else in the future."

Chaekyung saw how worried her mother looked and she faked a smile. "Perhaps." she mumbled. "After all, it's better than Joe Jonas dumping Taylor Swift with a twenty five second phone call." she tried to joke.

Mrs Lee smiled and ruffled her hair. "That's right. The pain will pass and soon you won't even feel anything."

Chaekyung nodded and gulped down her milk. She got up and grabbed her bag. "I'll go to school first umma." Mrs Lee glanced at the time. "So early?"

"I don't want to see unnie. I don't want to see L oppa here for her either." she muttered. "I'll go first. Bye umma." She trudged out of the door. Mrs Lee sighed and massaged her temples. "Why do my daughters always fall for the same guy?" she muttered.

Once Chaekyung was out of the door, the forced smile on her lips was instantly wiped away and a tear leaked from her eyes. She stared at the usual parking lot where L's car would be parked at while he waited for her and Jaekyung.

He would still be there. But from now onwards, he wouldn't be there for her.

"Babo Chaekyung." she murmured. "He never was."

-----

"Hey."

Jaekyung looked up at L who had been waiting directly outside the house instead of in his car. He scanned her face in concern and touched her red swollen eyes gently. "Did you even sleep last night?" he murmured.

"Barely." Jaekyung admitted, her voice coming out as a croak. She sighed and looked back at the house before closing the door, hugging her bag. "Chae went to school already. She took the bus." she whispered.

Jaekyung her lips and stared at the ground. "She never once left without me. I never had to go to school myself without her by my side." her voice grew thick and L knew she was about to cry again. "I think I hurt her really bad this time, Myungsoo."

L tilted her face up and let his thumb graze her cheek. "Jaekyung, she doesn't mean what she say." he murmured. "She says she hates you and she'll never talk to either of us, but she doesn't mean it. She'll come around some day, we just need to give her time to cool off. You can't expect her to be completely alright after something like that either."

"And besides," his hand slithered down to hers and interlaced their fingers. "You're not going to school alone. I'm with you. I'll be here."

Jaekyung looked at him and saw the sincerity b in his eyes and she gave him a small smile. "Thank you."

 

 

 

There was already a lot of talk in the school when someone saw Lee Chaekyung enter the school by herself without L and Jaekyung. It appeared as if she took the bus by herself that day.

And not only that, it was obvious their little queen had cried herself to sleep the previous night because her eyes were puffy and red and she looked absolutely irritable, a complete change from her usual cheery chirpy self.

People were already speculating that something happened between L and Chaekyung when the said couple arrived at school together in L's car. Jaekyung her lips nervously and noticed how a lot of people were looking in their direction even before they stepped out of the car.

"Do you think the school knows?" Jaekyung asked nervously, biting her bottom lip.

"If they haven't, I think they will now." L muttered in a low voice. He sighed and looked at her. "But we'll face this together okay?"

Jaekyung gave a nod and got out of the car together with L. L could feel all eyes on the both of them and he slammed the door shut, pretending not to notice. He went over to the other side of the car where Jaekyung looked like she was having trouble putting her hands through the sling of her bag because she was trembling with anxiety.

"Relax." L whispered and helped to put her bag on her. "I'm here."

And he took her hand, leading her in.

That one action sent the answer everyone was looking for. Indeed, L and Chaekyung seemed to have broken up and worse, L's new girlfriend was Chaekyung's older sister: Jaekyung.

How scandalous it was!

Jaekyung and L must have betrayed Chaekyung along the way, the sister and the boyfriend, and now they were together! It wasn't too far from the truth except they didn't know L's feelings had never strayed in the first place.

L squeezed her hands lightly and Jaekyung scooted nearer to him, not at all feeling like she was up for this emotional trauma after the one yesterday.

They reached the hallway and saw Infinite waiting for them. Sunggyu patted L on the back and gave an encouraging smile. "Infinite's got your back." he encouraged. "We support you."

"Thank you." Jaekyung whispered feebly. L squeezed her hands lightly again, looking at her worriedly. She shook her head to signal that she was alright and L nodded, smiling softly.

And then that moment was completely ruined when Kim Junki came marching to the both of them with the most dangerous and murderous glares ever in the history of Kim Junki's face.

"What the hell are you doing with MY girlfriend, L?" Junki snarled, pulling Jaekyung away from L.

L mentally face palmed himself. Great, he forgot Jaekyung was "dating" Junki. They were so concerned about hurting Chaekyung that they actually forgot Junki was right there in the whole messy love business as well. But meh, L hardly thought twice about hurting the bastard.

"For your information, Kim Junki," L pried Junki's fingers off Jaekyung's arm and rubbed the red marks softly. "She's my girlfriend."

Jaekyung darted over to L again, biting her lip. "What the are you talking about? She's mine." Junki growled, obviously not pleased.

Jaekyung her lips, scolding herself in her head. She too had forgotten she was supposed to be dating Junki.

"Uh Junki, I'm really sorry." she squeaked. "It's just that...Myungsoo and I are together now. A lot of things happened this weekend and it's just....overwhelming. I'm sorry to be only saying this now because I kind of forgot but, I would like a break up."

"You don't say." Hoya murmured in amusement at Junki's outraged face.

"I thought he was your sister's boyfriend?" Junki asked. "And I'm yours! We had such fun on the double date last weekend! Why the hell are you doing this?"

L stepped in front of Jaekyung and glared at Junki pointedly. "Because she has never loved you. If you don't have blessings to give us, it's okay. Don't make a fuss and be a man. Jaekyung's my girlfriend now, not yours anymore."

"Bastard." Junki made a swing at L and Dongwoo and Sungjong promptly caught his arm before his fist landed on L's face. "No violence." Dongwoo reminded.

"You two better watch out." Junki growled, stomping away, obviously humiliated.

Jaekyung swallowed and met eyes with L who gave a small smile. "At least he's out of your life."

"Yeah." Jaekyung forced a smile back.

-----

It seemed Junki's break up with Jaekyung was the only good thing that day because everything else was bad.

Everyone seemed to be disapproving of the Jaesoo couple especially because the school loved Chaekyung a lot to begin with. Jaekyung turned pretty later, hence her supporters were much lesser than Chaekyung's.

And through moral reasoning, everyone was on Chaekyung's side because who the hell would support two cheaters? One cheating boyfriend and one cheating sister.

Although no one felt sorry for Junki that he got cheated on, everyone was sorry for Chaekyung.

Everywhere Jaekyung and L went, they heard nasty comments by people around, even the friendlier classmates whom they considered friends. The others just could not understand the reason for their being together, and thought all of it was the couple's fault.

Especially Jangwoo.

"YOU BASTARD!!!" Jangwoo, a male student in Chaekyung's level, came charging towards L angrily. L ducked his punch just barely and he blinked in surprise. "Wait what?"

"BASTARD!" Jangwoo tried to kick L again but the latter saw it coming, blocking it with his Physics textbook. "Will you just talk and stop attacking me mindlessly!" L hissed.

Jangwoo growled, glaring at Jaekyung and L. "You two should burn in hell." he insulted. "You made my Chaekyung cry! Chaekyung is supposed to have a nice and caring boyfriend but instead, she got cheated by her boyfriend AND her sister! How do you think she feels now huh??"

Jaekyung bit her lip, lowering her gaze to the floor.

"You can't force love!" L protested. "You can't blame me for falling for Jaekyung, I love her I really do. I'm sorry about Chaekyung but I'm not the one who will bring her happiness!"

"WELL DUH!" Jangwoo hollered. "You cheated on my goddess you bastard!" he tried to punch L again and L dodged.

A teacher noticed the commotion and he promptly brought Jangwoo to the principal's office, but not before sending L and Jaekyung a disapproving look.

Soomi, Bomi and Yoomi walked down the hallway at that instant, and Jaekyung brightened, looking around for her sister. "Where's Chae?"

"She doesn't have an appetite." Soomi snarled. "Because some great sister of hers cheated on her with her ex boyfriend. How loyal indeed."

Jaekyung deflated immediately and Hoya frowned. "Hey you don't know half the things that happened before. Don't talk like you know what happened."

"We do." Bomi defended. "L cheated on Chaekyung. That's a fact. What do you want to say about it?"

"To be honest he never did cheat on Chaekyung." Sunggyu reasoned. "L never loved Chaekyung before. Infinite kind of...forced him into it. This L and Jaekyung is in right now, we put them in it. We're sorry." he looked at L. L shook his head to show that he didn't take it to heart.

"Whatever the case, you two hurt her." Soomi frowned. "She doesn't want to see you two so stay out of her sights and don't make her puke."

Soomi and Bomi huffed, striding off. Woohyun tried to reach out to Yoomi but she shook her head, knowing that this wasn't the time to get all chummy with her boyfriend.

Yoomi darted off to find Soomi and Bomi and Woohyun sighed softly.

Other students who walked past never forgot to spare Jaekyung and L a disapproving look whenever they got a chance and Jaekyung felt like she was some sort of public enemy.

L made her turn away from the other people to face him, cupping her face. "It's going to be alright." he whispered, even though he wasn't too sure herself.

Jaekyung nodded, not wanting him to worry. She closed her mind to the rest of the world out there and stared back, glad that at that point, she had this wonderful guy by her side.

"Yah what are you looking at?" Sungyeol burst out. "Stop looking!"

"Yeah, you got something to say, say it. Stop whispering amongst yourselves and looking over here." Hoya frowned. "If you don't dare to say it, keep your freaking eyes away!"

The Infinite members glared at the other students and Jaekyung sighed softly while L took her hand.

Even if things were going bad, at least they had a bunch of loyal friends.

And at least she had him.