Shock and Disgust

The Dull One

Chaekyung woke up, her eyes fluttering open, still unfocused, as she tried to squint at her ceiling.

She let out a large yawn and slowly sat up, feeling like she suddenly weighed twice she normally did and the gravity was pulling her back to her bed.

Chaekyung rolled over to the side of her bed and squinted at the clock. Hm, 11:30am. She should really try to wake up earlier on Sundays.

Chaekyung stood up and shuffled over to the bathroom, grabbing her toothbrush and shoving it in . She blinked, her vision now clearer and her mind working a little better.

She looked around at the bathroom she was in, the bathroom she and Jaekyung shared, and she vaguely wondered if it always looked like that.

The Lees had moved houses when she was thirteen, one of the years she had lost her memories off.

She forgot about her first year at middle school, and also the year before that. She could hardly remember what the uniform looked like even, until her mother took it out to show her.

She had no recollection.

She might seem chirpy and happy all the time, but wasn't that the best way to fill up the emptiness in her life when there was this large hole in the middle of it.

When Chaekyung asked her sister what had happened during the two years, Jaekyung's smiles always seemed forced. Chaekyung thought maybe it was because her accident had caused a large impact on her sister.

The last she remembered of her sister, Jaekyung was still a pretty thirteen year old, already catching hearts everywhere she went.

When Chaekyung woke up from her surgery, the Jaekyung she saw was dressed in the ugliest clothes possible with the largest spectacles ever.

Chaekyung always wondered what happened in between, and at times was frustrated with herself for not remembering, but when she asked Jaekyung, she would tell her nothing happened.

Chaekyung rinsed and washed her face.

Her sister must be up and about by now, at least for a few hours. Jaekyung always woke up early even if she slept late, while Chaekyung HAD to have her eight hours sleep.

Last night, she had partied till around one and Sunggyu sent her home. Jaekyung was already sleeping when Chaekyung arrived home, and she had smiled lightly when she saw the phone hanging by Jaekyung's ear as her sister slept.

Chaekyung was a little disappointed that L had gone so soon. It was his birthday after all. Even if she couldn't have some alone time with him, seeing him have fun with his friends was rewarding too.

She had held that hope that perhaps L would go back to the party after he celebrate his birthday with his parents, hence she stayed at the party till it was late. But he didn't.

Chaekyung couldn't help but notice how Jaekyung had excused herself at the same time L left. Could it be....?

"Lee Chaekyung," she shook her head. "You're going mad."

-----

"Oh Chaekyung, you're up." Mrs Lee smiled. Chaekyung nodded and bounced to the breakfast table, or rather, lunch table that was already filled with dishes for lunch.

"OMO, I just realized I never once ate breakfast on a Sunday." Chaekyung laughed.

"That's because you wake up so late." Mrs Lee mused. She glanced at the time. "It's time for lunch now, Chaekyung, go call your father and sister for lunch."

"Oka-"

"I'm here already no need to call for me." Mr Lee stepped into the dining room. "Man, it's only two hours since breakfast."

"You're another of those late risers. Chaekyung must have gotten it from you." Mrs Lee clicked her tongue disapprovingly. Chaekyung giggled and she high fived her father.

"So where's unnie?" Chaekyung looked around. "She wasn't in her room when I checked."

Mrs Lee met eyes with Mr Lee and she bit her lip. "She isn't back yet? Well she went for a walk at the park just before. Maybe you should call her back."

Chaekyung nodded and bounced off. Mrs Lee her lips. "What if-"

"Inhee, if it has happened, it has. Chae did it to her sister four years before. I'm not saying its a good thing; an eye for an eye, but you can tell this Myungsoo guy is different from Dongjae." Mr Lee convinced.

"But what if Chaekyung can't take it?" Mrs Lee whispered. "Yeobo, I'm scared."

"I figure its about time Jaekyung realized she can't give up everything for her sister." Mr Lee murmured. "And it's about time Chaekyung learnt of the truth, isn't it?"





Chaekyung walked to the park, the sun already shining brightly in the sky and it was getting a little too warm for her liking.

Her sister was nowhere to be found and currently unreachable. Chaekyung didn't even know if Jaekyung was still in the park.

"That was so romantic don't you think?" A group of girls walked past Chaekyung. "That guy just swooped in and took her in his arms! I wish someone would do it to me!"

Chaekyung blinked, wondering what happened.

"That guy was really good looking too. And aww the girl was pretty as well." One of her friends commented. "I wonder what they were talking about before they kissed, seemed intense."

"Yeah and she was crying." One of the other friends nodded. "But I think it was okay after. They looked happy. I wish I'd have such a Korean drama moment in my life as well."

The group of girls left.

Chaekyung stood there, wondering what had happened. She wanted to be there to see it. She was a er for this sort of romantic happenings.

"Oh right, unnie." Chaekyung looked around again.

Jaekyung was nowhere to be found, and Chaekyung was perspiring more and more as she looked around. The sun was beating mercilessly on her back and it felt like it was on fire.

Chaekyung eyed an ice cream stall along the row of shop houses in the park. "I don't think unnie would mind if I get an ice cream before continuing on my search for her." She murmured.

Chaekyung bounced to the ice cream shop and ordered a double chocolate ice cream cone, tapping her fingers impatiently as she waited.

She noticed a couple sitting at the far end of the shop with their backs faced from her, looking sweet and loving.

Chaekyung blew on her bangs. "If only there was a day L oppa would act like that with me." She murmured.

Chaekyung watched and saw that the girl seemed a little pressed for time. She tried to stand up but the guy pulled her down, feeding her another mouth of ice cream.

"Don't go yet, I'll miss you." Chaekyung heard him say. She didn't realize how familiar that voice was.

The girl in question let out a sigh and sat down. The guy looked pleased and he pulled her nearer, letting her rest her head against his shoulder.

"Myungsoo, I've got to go home. My mother's going to call me back for lunch any time." The girl murmured.

Chaekyung stepped closer as she went to the counter to pay for her cone and she stopped in her tracks.

Myungsoo? Wasn't that....L?

Chaekyung turned slowly, her heart thudding madly in her chest.

"You think your mom will let me in?" The guy mused. "Have lunch at your house?"

"Myungsoo!" The girl huffed. "I don't know...but what...what are you going there as? A friend?"

"Your boyfriend duh." The guy responded. "And I've got to clear things up with Chaekyung. I feel bad for not telling her that I've never once loved her."

Chaekyung gasped and her ice cream cone dropped on the floor. What?

"Myungsoo, I really don't know." The girl sighed. "I don't want to hurt her."

"Yeah but we've got to." The guy told her, tapping her nose. "It's not right for me to be in a relationship with her when I love you. And you obviously love me back." He kissed her temple.

"Oh Myungs-" Jaekyung sat up and stopped. Her eyes widened when she felt a girl staring at them with a chocolate cone splattered on the floor.

Her heart instantly dropped and she shot up from L's arms. "Oh my god. Chae." She whispered.

L's eyes widened and he shot up from his seat, gulping. He saw Chaekyung staring at the two of them with tears welling in her eyes and glaring as though she hated them.

Well at that point he figured it wouldn't be too far from hating anyway.

"I can't believe you two!" Chaekyung whispered in disbelief. "My friends have been telling me but I didn't believe...oh god." She shook her head.

"Chaekyung, there's a way to explain all this." L tried saying and Chaekyung shot him a look.

"What? That you never loved me and you love unnie and she loves you?" Chaekyung hissed. "I heard it. I understand. You want to breakup with me for my sister. What other way of explaining do you want to do?"

"Chae..." Jaekyung murmured weakly in desperation.

"I hate you two." Chaekyung whispered, hurt. "My sister. The guy I love. I hate you. I hate you!!"

Chaekyung ran out of the ice cream store, crying madly. Jaekyung followed immediately, with L right behind her.

Oh why did she have to find out this way? Why why why!

Jaekyung was crying herself and L felt really bad. If he hasn't accepted Chaekyung's confession in the first place, if he hadn't been such a dummy in love...

Chaekyung dashed across the road and Jaekyung followed.

L's eyes widened when he saw a car driving straight at Jaekyung and he pulled her back to the curb. "Watch out!"

The car zoomed past just a moment after his arms enclosed around her, and he let out a sigh of relief. "Do you want to get killed? What about me then!" He scolded.

"Chae." Jaekyung straightened up to look for her sister, only to see Chaekyung standing on the other side of the road, witnessing the entire incident.

L let go of Jaekyung, but it was too late. She saw.

Chaekyung sent them another hurt look and she ran off, crying. Jaekyung dashed after her sister and L followed, making sure his girl didn't kill herself in the process.

Once home, Chaekyung dashed for her room and slammed the door. Mrs Lee sat down weakly on her chair. "I think it's happening again, Yeobo."

"Relax. The same thing won't happen twice." Mr Lee murmured. "I hope."

Jaekyung rushed up to her sister's room and banged on the door. L stopped on the first floor, feeling extremely bad.

He saw Mr and Mrs Lee at the dining table and he swallowed. "I'm sorry." He whispered.

Mr Lee shook his head. "Not for love. Don't say sorry for love. You do love Jaekyung right?"

"Yeah. Yes I do." L nodded.

"Then treat her right. Although I would have preferred you choose her before going through Chaekyung, but what's done done. Now you've got to minimize the damage." Mr Lee advised.

"Chae, can you please open the door?" Jaekyung begged. She could her Chaekyung sobbing madly inside and she felt her heart break.

She did it again, she hurt her sister.

"Chae.."

"Unnie do you love him?" Chaekyung's voice sounded beside the door. "Tell me honestly."

Jaekyung swallowed. "Chae.."

"Do you? Do you love him?" Chaekyung demanded.

"Y-yes." Jaekyung whispered in a small voice. "Yes I do."

She heard Chaekying sniffle. "Fine. I'll give you two my blessings. But never expect me to talk to you ever again."

Jaekyung collapsed against the door and sobbed. L came up and gathered her in his arms, rocking her gently.

"She doesn't mean it." He comforted.

Jaekyung looked at him. "But it still hurts."