His Efforts

The Dull One

"Teacher Lee are you free right now?" L knocked on his door. "Can you help me give a grade for these two essays?"

Teacher Lee swirled around in his chair and blinked in surprise. "Oh Myungsoo. Sure, why don't you come in? Is there anything you need me to do?"

L nodded and he presented two essays in front of Teacher Lee. He had printed both his and Jaekyung's essays that were submitted for the Newsletter Editor position and went looking for Teacher Lee to grade them.

He didn't believe he should have gotten the position. And even if he did (which was unlikely), he would give it up in a single heartbeat for Jaekyung.

"Seongsaengnim can you help me grade these two essays?" L pushed the papers to him. "And tell me which one is better."

Teacher Lee nodded. He read L's essay first, smiling and nodding once in a while. "This is a pretty good read, Myungsoo."

L smiled, grateful. "And the other one?"

Teacher Lee began reading Jaekyung's essay and he didn't even need to say anything. His expressions told all.

Jaekyung was able to capture his attention fully, her points strong and persuasive, that even Teacher Jung found himself frowning and perspiring when he got to her argumentative points.

He put down the essay and blinked twice to focus himself. "Wow Myungsoo. I have to say this second one is better." he exclaimed. "Incredibly well written!"

L broke into a smile. "Yeah?" That was his girl.

"If it is so can you please sign right here to signify that you think the second one is better?" L brought out a large vanguard sheet that was divided into two columns.

There were two headings: L (1st essay) and Jaekyung (2nd essay).

Teacher Lee blinked in surprise when he saw that the Jaekyung column was already filled with signatures of almost the whole school department of teachers.

"Wow." Teacher Lee muttered as he grabbed a pen, signing. "What is this for anyway?"

L gave a grin. "Project: Make Jaekyung happy."

-----

"You're kidding."

L gave Teacher Jung a look before he reached for the piece of vanguard that he had carried with him the entire day.

"No I'm not. Here it is." he shoved it in her face. "This contains all the teachers' signatures and all of them think that Jaekyung's essay was better. I think this is enough proof that you've chosen the wrong editor?"

Teacher Jung swallowed and eyed the dozen signatures of her colleagues.

"I chose you because I believe in you, Myungsoo." Teacher Jung tried to reason. "As the principal's son, I believe you have the capabilities to-"

"Is this what it is then?" L demanded. "You chose me because I was the Principal's son, not because I was he better writer or anything like that. So why did you have us write the essays in the first place? Did you know how hard Jaekyung worked for it?"

"I agree Jaekyung's was impeccably written." Teacher Jung nodded. "But as an editor she has to be more out spoken and-"

"As a teacher you should be the one giving her the chance, isn't it?" L cut in rudely, not caring how he appeared anymore. "So why aren't you? Because let me tell you this, making me Editor will never let my father be pleased in any way about your ways of handling matters as these. In fact, I believe he will be revolted."

Teacher Jung paled. "Uhm I...fine." she agreed. "Fine. Jaekyung can be the new editor."

L broke into a smile. "Good." he turned to go when Teacher Jung called out to him.

"Why are you trying to push such a good opportunity away from yourself?" she asked, confused. "Anyone would have grabbed on the chance and not let go. You're doing everything to rid of this instead."

L turned to look at Teacher Jung in the eye. "Because this made her cry."







L almost behaved like a Chaekyung and he really felt like bouncing off his car when he arrived at Jaekyung's house.

He knew she wouldn't accept the post unless there was evidence screaming in her face, hence L made it a point to bring the piece of vanguard with the teachers' signatures as well.

He was positively beaming as he walked up the front porch, already imagining how her face would look like when he told her that she got the position instead.

She would smile no doubt, even beam. Maybe if L was lucky she would squeal in delight as well.

He could hardly wait.

As he walked up to their front door, he realized that the door was ajar and it wasn't locked. He pushed it open hesitantly, wondering if he should just go in like that.

He saw Jaekyung and her parents in the living room and he almost wanted to call out to them until he realized be atmosphere was a little strange.

"Jaekyung, you really don't have to do this." Mrs Lee pleaded. "You have your own life to live. You're not living yours for Chaekyung you know."

L hid himself behind the door. What were they talking about?

Jaekyung sighed frustratedly and L could imagine her pressing her lips in a firm line. "This is my choice, why can't you guys understand? I won't touch that money no matter what, even if I have to go to a second grade college."

"Jaekyung," Mr Lee interrupted. "Not only am I sorry that our family only has enough money to send one of out daughters to university, I am sorry for how long I've allowed you to spoil Chaekyung. This is wrong, Jae. Chaekyung needs to fight for her own, and it's a miracle she isn't anymore spoilt but just a tinge dependent."

L raised his brows.

So the Lee family could only afford the tuition fees for one of their daughters. So that's why Jaekyung needed the scholarship.

*Because the money was for Chaekyung.* L realized.

"Look," Mrs Lee continued. "Chaekyung doesn't need to get into the best fashion school. If she goes to the usual ones we'll be able to afford having both of you go to university and you can go to SNU without the scholarship. Fashion schools are just so much more expensive than usual ones, we can just choose a cheaper alternative and everything is solved."

"No." Jaekyung shook her head firmly. "I want the best for Chae. Only the best. If National Arts Academy is the best, she will go there."

"Jaekyung!" Mr Lee frowned in desperation.

L thought it was time for him to reveal himself before things got even uglier.

He pretended to knock the door as if he just reached. "Hello Mr and Mrs Lee? Is anyone home?"

He heard Mr Lee clear his throat and Mrs Kim rushed to open the door. "Oh Myungsoo!" she looked happy but kind of flustered at the saw time.

"Hi Omonim." L smiled. He looked in and saw Jaekyung staring at him in surprise, her unspoken question of the reason of his being there written on her face.

"Abeoji." L nodded respectfully at Mr Lee. "Is it inconvenient now? I can leave if it is."

Mr Lee sighed and looked at Jaekyung. "Jae, we'll continue the conversation tonight." he stood up and faked a smile at L. "Make yourself at home. I'll be going up to rest."

L nodded and Mrs Lee soon diverted all her attention to L. "So what do you want for a drink Myungsoo? Why are you here now anyway? Chaekyung has cheerleading practice today."

L shook his head at her. "It's okay Mrs Lee. I'm here today for Jaekyung." he looked straight at the girl he had come for. "I have good news."

-----

"So why did you come?" Jaekyung asked listlessly.

L watched her silently as the both of them sat in the grass patch in front of her house.

"I heard." L suddenly said.

Jaekyung turned to him in surprise and L looked slightly guilty. "I'm sorry I didn't reveal mysel the moment I reached, but I heard what you and your parents were talking about before I announced myself."

Jaekyung's eyes widened. "You-"

"Before the apologies, I want you to know that I agree with your father completely." L muttered.

He turned to look at her and flicked her forehead. Hard.

"Are you dumb?" he chided. "I understand if you want to be nice and caring to your little sister but this is getting a little too much, Lee Jaekyung. You sacrifice everything, seriously everything. And now I find you're even trying to sacrifice your college. So what next? The one you love?" he asked sarcastically.

Jaekyung hung her head. "I just want to. You don't get it." she murmured.

"Well I don't." L softened. He made her look at him. "I don't understand, and maybe it's because I don't have any siblings. But l know enough to find your concern for her slightly obsessive. She's a grown up, she can handle herself. Just live your own life for yourself, Jaekyung."

Jaekyung bit her lip and stared a the ground.

L knew she was thinking about what he said and at the same time it was her way of saying she didn't agree completely.

L sighed, a little too tensed for his liking. He looked up at the sky and gave a small smile. "So, aren't you gonna ask me why I'm here?" he murmured, wanting to change the topic from dreary grounds.

Jaekyung glanced up at him. "For your information I did. You didn't answer."

"Touché." L turned to her in order to catch her full reaction. "Well today I'm here because..."

Jaekyung blinked in confusion, waiting. L dragged the silence for a long long time and Jaekyung began to become annoyed. "Are you saying it or not?" she complained.

L chuckled. "I spoke to Teacher Jung. You're officially the new Editor."

Jaekyung froze for a few moments and L could almost see the wheels turning in her head. Oh how exciting it was to watch.

"WHAT?" Jaekyung snapped her head towards L in surprise. "Say that again!"

L wanted to laugh. Her reaction was even better than he had imagined.

L didn't say anything as he opened up the large vanguard and showed her how all the teachers had voted in her favor. Jaekyung's eyes were wide as she took everything in.

"What..." she faltered.

"These are signatures of all the teachers in school." L explained. "I went to everyone of them and made them read our essays, and these are their votes. All of them voted for your essay, Jaekyung. You are the one who won this position."

Jaekyung turned to him, her eyes wide and shining. "But Teacher Jung...and what about you?"

"Don't mention that retarded woman." L scowled. "I realized that she only chose me for editor because I'm the Principal's son. The usual bootlicking was bad enough, but this, I really could not take." he huffed.

He looked at her and gave a small smile. "And me? I don't want that position, Jaekyung. It doesn't mean anything to be but it means the world to you. Even if I had the position first, I'd give it to you no matter what it takes. You deserve it."

Jaekyung swallowed, her bottom lip trembling.

Her heart was thudding fast in her chest and she couldn't look away from L no matter how she tried. This strange delightful feeling took over her body again, this sensation that was not around when L was.

This guy, this guy was really someone she had never come across before. He was selfless when it's the right time, and selfish for her welfare.

He cared.

And Jaekyung knew she cared about him too. A whole lot. A lot more than safe.

Things were getting dangerous between them. But when he came and did something like this, she couldn't look away, much less stay away.

Why must he be such a perfect fit for her?

L chuckled in amusement as he caught her zoning out. "Hey." he poked her cheek. "Too touched? Gonna cry?" he teased.

Jaekyung swatted his hands away and made a face. *Don't think about this nonsense, Jaekyung. You're just thankful towards him.*

"Thank you, Myungsoo." Jaekyung murmured softly. "You really don't know how much this means to me."

L smiled gently. "I don't know, but I can guess. And all I know that it means a whole lot." he grinned. "So now that this is done, why don't we send that scholarship application right now?"

Jaekyung blinked. "You want to do it with me?"

"Why not?" L asked as if he didn't understand. "I want to see you send the letter. Now go fetch it!" he nudged her.

Jaekyung scrambled to her feet and sent him a small smile. Her heart was racing again, was that normal?

She stopped halfway to the house and looked back at him. "I just remembered, the bargain." she blinked.

L's eyes rounded. "Oh right, the bargain."

He pretended to be utterly sad, moping about. The times he spent with Sungyeol must have paid off.

"So I guess I lost since you're the editor now." L mumbled. "And now even though I just helped to fight for the position for you, you're going to bestow a grand punishment on me because of the bargain. Kim Myungsoo, your life ."

Jaekyung bit back a giggle. "Well since you've helped me soooooo much," she pretended to think. "And besides you were the one who got the position first and passed it on to me, so I guess the rightful winner of the bet is you?"

L looked up, his face bright. "Exactly what I was waiting for. Lee Jaekyung, I know exactly what I want you to do."