The Bargain

The Dull One

Jaekyung swallowed when L walked into the class on Monday morning.

It was the first day of school after the september vacation and the first time Jaekyung had seen L after the trip to the Kim resort. And she so wasn't ready to see him.

Not only did she not know why the hell she felt strange when he was around, he was also the only other person in school who had seen her for how she really looked. The lack of confidence, the glasses, the hair, the way she slouched and everything, Jaekyung had perfected this look.

It took a little getting used to at first but now she had even convinced herself that she was supposed to be like this.

And then L saw how she looked like, the real her. And Jaekyung was beyond frightened because she knew this just created more problems. No one would let it go, and someone as curious as L would be sure to question her relentlessly til he got the answer he wanted from her.

But what could she say?

Jaekyung swallowed harder when she felt L's eyes landing on her form the moment he came into view. It was like he was searching for her, he had been waiting. Jaekyung didn't reply his messages throughout the rest of the break and this was the first time they met in about four days.

She wasn't looking forward to it.

L watched as Jaekyung avoided his eyes and he knew what she was worried about. He knew her well enough to know that she knew that he knew something was off about her, and she was afraid.

L didn't like it when she was thus, and he sighed softly, plopping himself on his seat. He dug out his phone and typed a quick message.

To: Lee Jaekyung

Yah, you're alive and kicking so why aren't you responding to my messages? I thought you were dead.

From: Kim Myungsoo

Jaekyung bit her lip and furrowed her brows, sighing. Why couldn't he be a mean person like Kim Junki? If Jaekyung ignored someone like L, she would feel immensely guilty. Because yes, L was her friend. Her very first friend in a long time and now that line between friends and lovers was blurring. She just didn't know about it.

To: Kim Myungsoo

Stop messaging in class.

From: Lee Jaekyung

L wrinkled his nose. *She's bothered by it. Extremely bothered.* he noted. He sighed, raking his fingers through his hair. He wanted to know desperately desperately desperately. Gosh how he wanted to know what exactly happened to her back then.

Had the guy cheated on her? Humiliated her? What did he do to cause a perfect girl like she was to break into a million pieces like this? L really hated whoever that guy was.

But he didn't want to force the story out of her either, because he wanted her to tell him when she was ready. It obviously hurt her enough for her to make such a big change in her life. He just didn't know what exactly happened to have caused it as such.

To: Lee Jaekyung

If you're thinking that I'm going to suddenly transform into a detective and starting investigating some things, I'll have you know that I prefer to be a bodyguard.

From: Kim Myungsoo

Jaekyung swallowed hard and felt her eyes blurring from slight tears. She sniffled softly and smiled, watching the back of L's head.

He understood. And he wasn't going to probe. That was what made him different from everyone else.

Jaekyung smiled to herself, knowing from this moment onwards L had an even bigger part in her life than he already did. He touched her, many times, countless times.

To: Kim Myungsoo

Thank you.

From: Lee Jaekyung

He smiled.

 

 

 

"I have greeeeeeat news for you guys today!" was the first thing teacher Jung said when she burst into the meeting room that afternoon. She slammed a few papers down on the table and beamed brightly at the students. "GREEEEEAT NEWS!" she grinned.

"What is it, Seongsaengnim?" Yoseob asked boredly. "Is it the time of the year to choose the new Newsletter Editor already?"

"BINGO!" Teacher Jung grinned, clapping enthusiastically.

Yoseob, Kikwang, Jessica and Krystal immediately deflated, not at all interested in the news. They knew that the editor had to be one of L or Jaekyung, it would take a million years for that post to be even considered for them. And they were right.

This year, the candidates for the Newsletter Editor position were Lee Jaekyung and Kim Myungsoo. Except this year, things were getting a little spicer than usual.

"Anybody here knows who's Kim Young Ha?" Teacher Jung asked, smiling.

Jaekyung and L were the only two who raised their hands. "I have the right to destroy myself." both of them muttered at the same time. "Correct!" Teacher Jung clapped, obviously pleased. "You're amazing Myungsoo haksaeng, you know about this!"

L raised his brows and looked at Jaekyung. "But seongsaengnim Jaekyung also-"

"Well whatever." Teacher Jung diverted her attention to her other students. "For those who do not know, Kim Young Ha is a new age writer and one of his famous works is the book I have the right to destroy myself. This book is amazing. It aims to achieve a lot and it has done everything it has aimed to achieve. It is a narrator within a narrator." she smiled.

Jaekyung nodded in agreement.

"So this year while we're all getting excited for choosing the next editor, there's going to be something spicier!" Teacher Jung grinned. "The new student editor that is chosen two weeks later is going to get the chance to interview Kim Young Ha when he comes to our school in a little more than two weeks. It's going to be a fabulous chance especially if you're familiar with his works!"

Jaekyung gasped in delight and met L's excited eyes. "Kim Young Ha!" she whispered. L nodded, grinning widely.

"So now, for the main event," Teacher Jung smiled at them. "We have two candidates this year for the Newsletter Editor position."

L glanced at Jaekyung, biting back a smile when he saw her cross her fingers underneath the table. To him, there didn't even need to be two candidates. The person that deserved that role the most was Jaekyung, no questions. No one could do it better than her.

And the fact that she was all piped up and nervous about it made her extremely adorable in his opinion.

"First of all, Lee Jaekyung!" Teacher Jung announced.

L chuckled softly when he saw her face light up in extreme delight and she smiled at the rest of the committee. He could tell she really really wanted this.

"And the second person.....Kim Myungsoo!" Teacher Jung clapped. "Well done getting into one of the two candidates, Myungsoo!"

L looked positively surprised and he blinked several times. "Me?"

"Yes you!" Teacher Jung smiled warmly at him. "You're the principal's son, I think you're going to fit this role very well! But put that aside, you two have to go through this final test before we choose who our new editor is going to be."

Jaekyung glanced at L and saw him looking stunned. "She's not exactly too biased you know," she whispered. "You do write well."

*But not as good as you.* he inwardly thought. But the chance of talking to Kim Young Ha in real life was too good to pass up and he found himself listening intently to Teacher Jung's next words.

"You two are to pass me a 10,000 word essay of any topic of your choice, by the end of the Wednesday after the next." teacher Jung demanded. "We will announce who the new Editor is on Thursday and the lucky one will be able to interview Kim Young Ha on Sunday! Aren't you two excited?"

Jaekyung bit her lip to contain her joy as she stared at the table.

Finally, it was her chance.

She had waited to be senior for three years since she entered High School in 16. She desperately wanted the Editor post but she couldn't get it until she was a senior since leadership posts weren't offered to the younger students. Now it was finally her chance for it.

Even though her competitor was L, she wasn't about to give in that easily. She wanted this, needed this.

When the others cleared out of the room, L grinned at her and elbowed her. "Ready to fight this one out, Lee Jaekyung?" he teased. "Even though I have a good idea that you'll be winning, I won't back down without a fight. This is my idol writer you're talking about."

Jaekyung laughed softly, shaking her head in amusement. But she could relate to his feelings.

It was Kim Young Ha! Who wouldn't want to talk to him!

"Say, Jaekyung." L suddenly turned to her, a bright smile on his face. Jaekyung raised her brows, knowing some crazy idea just popped into his mind. His dorky mind.

"Let's have a bargain, a bet, whatever you call it." L leaned forward, meeting her eyes. Jaekyung didn't know why she couldn't look away even though she felt as if her soul was bared to him when he did that. And Lee Jaekyung was never really open to anyone.

"What bargain?" Jaekyung asked hesitantly.

L grinned. "This Newsletter Editor position. One of us is going to get it on Wednesday after the next." he explained. "And let's make things more fun, because the Editor postion and the chance to interview Kim young Ha isn't the only thing you're going to get."

"Then what?" Jaekyung asked, interested.

"Hah, got your attention now huh?" L teased lightly, poking her forehead. She slapped his hands away and looked at him with large curious eyes.

"So, whoever wins this editor title will also get to ask the other person for a wish." L stated. "Any wish. As long as the other person is physically able to do it and it is reasonably within means, the other person has to do it. No buts. Anything."

"Anything?" Jaekyung echoed.

"Anything." L confirmed. He grinned at her. "So are you up for it?"

Jaekyung huffed and stuck her nose in the air. "Of course! You're so going to dance in the cafeteria in a banana in pyjamas costume, Kim Myungsoo!"

L rolled his eyes and chuckled. "So that's what you're going to make me do?" he nudged her. "I can think of better ones. So you better be careful, Lee Jaekyung."

"Oh yeah? You are the one that should watch your back!" Jaekyung smiled at him despite her words. L grinned back, laughter in his eyes.

He didn't really care if he won. He just knew he enjoyed it.

When times with her were like this.