The Kittens' Guardian

The Dull One

"Is it true? You're Chaekyung's sister?" two guys came up to ask Jaekyung.

L glanced at the flustered girl beside him and bit back a smile.

"Uh yeah." Jaekyung nodded.

"Wow so the rumors are true?" the guys looked Jaekyung up and down. "We never would have imagined you and the Woolim Princess to be blood related. I mean you look so-"

"What?" L snapped.

They blinked at L and L raised his brows tauntingly. "Look so what?" he challenged.

"Ahehe..just you know, different." One guy cleared his throat. "Anyway we're uh going somewhere. So bye!" they darted off.

Jaekyung shot L a look. "You're scaring people."

"I totally did not." L blinked innocently. "Did I, Hyung?"

Sungyeol grinned just as innocently. "What? I didn't even see anything."

Dongwoo grinned and slung an arm around Jaekyung's shoulder. "From now onwards you're with us. Don't care about what other people think because Infinite has got your back." he assured.

Jaekyung smiled softly, nodding. She didn't like the way everyone was looking at her with those eyes full of disbelief, it was so annoying and frustrating.

But it wasn't that bad because the Infinite boys were there for her. They glared at anyone who dared squeak an insulting remark and the most passionate about this cause was of course, L.

He transformed into her bodyguard or something, making sure to be around her all the time to glare at the people around them.

She told him that and he laughingly told her that it was his life long ambition to be a bodyguard. Funny.

But still, she couldn't help be touched by the Infinite boys' actions. They were sweet, wonderfully sweet. To think that they went through such measures to help her get out of her shell...

But this shell was what she wanted right? So why did she feel happy right now, out in the open?

"UNNIEEEEE!!"

Jaekyung blinked as she and Infinite entered the cafeteria. Chaekyung waved enthusiastically at her all the way from the other side of the cafeteria, gaining all the attention.

That one move, any dumb person who hadn't known about the Jaekyung-Chaekyung relationship would have by then.

Jaekyung felt faint just by all the attention as she slipped on the seat beside Chaekyung. L plopped himself on the other side of his girlfriend.

"Did you have to call me so loud?" Jaekyung murmured, rubbing her temples.

Chaekyung laughed and leaned her head on Jaekyung's shoulder. "I just wanted everyone to know you're my deeeearrrr unnieeeee!" she said loudly.

Jaekyung winced and pushed Chaekyung's head away. "Not into my ear, Chae!"

Chaekyung giggled. "I'm just so happy! Now we can go home together and eat lunch together, oh and I can go to your class to visit you and L oppa!!! Kyaaaah this is wonderful!" she sang.

Jaekyung shook her head in amusement.

"You should have made this known a long time ago, Jaekyung unnie." Bomi smiled. "We would have been behind you all the while."

"At least L oppa came out with this one strike thing." Soomi nodded. She eyed the other Infinite boys. "If any of you had come out with that before, Jaekyung unnie would have been free a long time ago!"

"Hey!" Hoya pouted.

L smiled softly and glanced at Jaekyung as she laughed at Sungyeol's jokes. Yes this was how it was supposed to be.

Her, with them. Her, with him.







"Can Lee Jaekyung, Seohyun and Kang Gajin come to the Principal's office right now?" an announcement rang throughout the whole school.

Jaekyung blinked in surprise. "What's happening?"

Chaekyung looked puzzled while Sunggyu scratched his head. L tapped his chin. "Hmm..."

Maybe, his father managed to...? L brightened and pulled Jaekyung from her seat. "Go see my father now. I'm sure he has good news."

Jaekyung nodded confusedly, darting off to the Principal's office. Chaekyung looked at L curiously. "What do you think is happening?"

L grinned. "Something good."

-----

Jaekyung knocked on the Principal's door and a low voice was heard from the other side. "Come in."

Jaekyung her lips nervously, not being called to the Principal's office before. She pushed the door, letting herself in hesitantly, her eyes darting here and there. She was surprised to find Seohyun already inside and she walked over to sit beside Seohyun tentatively.

"Mr Kim." she greeted.

Mr Kim smiled at her. Jaekyung glanced at Seohyun and the latter shrugged, indicating that she didn't know what this was about either. "By the way." Seohyun whispered so Mr Kim couldn't hear.

Jaekyung blinked at her, wondering what this was about.

"I didn't believe you stole my money in the first place." Seohyun shrugged with a small smile. "You just didn't seem like the type." she gave a genuine smile.

Jaekyung softened and her lips curled up. "Thank you." she murmured. "That means a lot."

Mr Kim tapped his fingers on his desk. "What's taking that Kang Gajin so long?" he murmured. "Must be the guilty conscience huh?" he muttered.

It was this time that there came another knock and Mr Kim stood up. "Come in."

Kang Gajin let herself into the office, looking pale and scared. "M-Mr Kim." she stuttered, her eyes directed down on the ground. Mr Kim looked from her to the other two female students in the office. "Do you know why I called you girls here today?"

Jaekyung shook her head. Seohyun looked between them three and raised her brows. "Is this about my lost money?" she inquired.

Mr Kim nodded. "Myungsoo specifically asked me to check the security tapes to check if there was anyone else besides Jaekyung who went into the classroom during break, and I'm sorry it took so long since there was a hacker in our system."

Jaekyung bit her lip. *Stupid Kim Myungsoo.* she couldn't help but soften at the thought that he had spoken to his father about helping her.

"And we just recovered the tapes half an hour ago." Mr Kim narrowed his eyes at Kang Gajin. "And we found that yes, Jaekyung had remained in the class while the rest of the students had gone. However, while she went to the toilet at 10:33am to 10:38am, Kang Gajin haksaeng had slipped into the classroom, looking suspicious and jumpy and she left promptly before Jaekyung went back."

Mr Kim looked at Gajin. "Kang Gajin haeksaeng, can you tell me what you did in the classroom for that four minutes?" he demanded.

Gajin shifted uneasily, her lips. "I uh..I forgot my wallet so I went to retrieve it." she stated uneasily.

"So why weren't you taking your wallet when you left the classroom?" Mr Kim asked. "Gajin, we will lighten the punishment if you admit to your wrong doings. Please don't deny something you did do, Gajin."

Gajin swallowed. She  closed her eyes and bit her lip. "Yes, I was me."

Seohyun and Jaekyung gasped.

"I heard Yuri and Seohyun talking and came to know that Seohyun had brought extra cash to school that day." Gajin started crying. "And I I....I didn't mean to, Mr Kim. But my mom's in the hospital and my father's working overtime everyday to pay her bills. We're strapped for cash and I just wanted to help."

"So why did you put it under Jaekyung's desk?" Mr Kim frowned, curious.

"I figured it wasn't safe to put it in my bag since the teacher would definitely conduct a bag search if Seohyun realized her money was missing." Gajin murmured, sniffling. "So I thought I'd stuck it under a desk. And I thought if I put it under my desk it wouldn't be safe either so I put it under the table beside mine. Which was Jaekyung's."

She peeked at Seohyun and Jaekyung meekly. "I'm sorry Seohyun, for stealing your cash. I'm sorry Jaekyung, for letting you take the blame for something I did. I'm sorry Mr Kim, I really am." she sobbed.

Mr Kim sighed softly and patted her back. "I'm glad you know you did wrong, Gajin. Learn from this mistake and don't repeat it. But I'll still have to call your dad here." Gajin nodded sadly.

"But," Mr Kim let out a small smile. "Kang Gajin I think you're qualified for a scholarship for Woollim High. From this month onwards, tell your father you need not pay for the school fees any longer."

Jaekyung broke into a smile. This Principal was one good fella!

"THANK YOU MR KIM!" Gajin threw her arms around the principal and he laughed fatherly. "No problem."

 

 

 

"Where did she go?" L scratched his head.

L had received text from his father and came to know that Jaekyung's "crimes" were cleared but she didn't appear even after she left his father's office. She didn't find the rest of the Infinite boys, nor her sister, nor go back to class.

She just seemed to disappear from the surface of the earth.

L pouted as he walked around the school, looking for her. "And she didn't even think to text me?" he muttered. "Talk about ungrateful." He searched the rooftop but found no one, and he scratched his head in confusion.

He walked the long way around the school and came to the backyard. He didn't think to walk further in to look for her since he didn't think she would be there.

Until he heard a mew.

L retraced his steps and blinked in surprise, popping his head out again. He saw a figure crouching on the ground with the three kittens beside her and the mother cat lying nearby while watching her kids play with this human.

L felt his heart skip a beat. This person was the one who kept feeding the kittens?

Curiosity striked him hard and he tip-toed over, not wanting to alert the kittens nor the mysterious girl. *If I hadn't known, that girl really looks like Lee Jaekyung.*

"Good huh?" the girl chuckled softly. "You kittens better eat more, I don't spend my allowance on cookies and milk for nothing. Grow up big and happy oh?"

L found himself smiling. Just who was this?

"You know kittens, my name is cleared right now." the girl smiled. "Gajin admitted that she stole the money instead of me. And she's such a poor thing as well, her mom's in the hospital. Thank goodness Mr Kim offered her a scholarship."

L stopped in his steps. Wait what?

"And I found out that Kim Myungsoo actually asked his dad for help to clear my name." the girl murmured. "I didn't think he'd do that."

L swallowed and he hid behind a pillar.

"I think....I was wrong. He's really not a bad guy." Jaekyung murmured. "He really really isn't."

L hid himself as Jaekyung took her things and walked off, his heart thudding in his chest. He came out from his hiding place when he was sure she had gone and his gaze fell on the milk and cookies. A slow smile crept onto his lips.

"Should've known it was you." he whispered. "Lee Jaekyung, I think you're not bad of a girl either."