Meeting the Parents

The Dull One

L went home late that night. He felt it was his responsibility to see Chaekyung well asleep and sending the rest of their family back home.

Whether or not people blamed him, he thought he should have been a little more aware and alert about things. He should have asked if she had any allergies.

Yeah, that was the dorky honest L that was just the nicest person ever despite his cold exterior. His cool outward appearance was just a tool to scare away (or maybe not) the fangirls so do not be fooled!

When he got home, his father was reading a literature book on the couch while his mother ironing with the ironing board beside her husband, chatting lightly.

They both looked up when they heard the door opened and Mrs Kim immediately put down the iron, rushing to her son's side. "Myungsoo ah! Are you okay?"

L nodded, rubbing his eyes tiredly. Damn this whole thing was so tiring and it was only Monday. The thought of school for another four days made L want to puke.

"Why did you say you were at the hospital? Were you hurt?" Mrs Kim continued to fuss, looking her son up and down and holding his hand up to inspect every finger.

"I'm fine Umma." L assured. "It's Chaekyung. I brought her out to lunch today and I didn't realize she was allergic to peanuts." he winced. "So yeah."

Mr Kim looked up, concerned over his son, his student, his son's girlfriend. "How is she now?"

"She's okay." L nodded. "She had to go through an operation to clean her stomach and I had to call Jaekyung. That silly girl rushed like a mad goose." he mumbled, smiling a little.

He suddenly thought of something and gasped, narrowing his eyes at his father. "Wait Appa, since you're the principal, you knew Chaekyung and Jaekyung were sisters didn't you!"

Mr Kim laughed heartily. "Yes I knew. Why? You didn't ask."

L pouted, making a face. Of course his father had to keep mum. It was just that someone already knew the truth and he was so close, and all the while L didn't know Jaekyung and Chaekyung were related. Way to go.

"Omo Myungsoo!" Mrs Kim's shriek made L snap out of his thoughts. "You're bleeding! Look at your jeans!" she gasped loudly.

L blinked down at his jeans and saw blood stains on his thigh. "Oh." he recognized it. "It's not-"

He looked up at his mother who flew to get the first aid kit. "Wait umma it's not my blood!!!" he hollered. Mrs Kim stopped and poked her head out of the room. "It's not?"

L nodded. "It's Jaekyung's." he shook his head when he thought of her. "She ran to the hospital when she realized her sister was admitted, and fell down on the way. She actually didn't realize she was bleeding until much later, can you imagine how blur she is!" he chuckled softly.

Mr Kim watched him and a small smile appeared on his face. Mrs Kim hadn't noticed anything yet and she heaved a sigh of relief. "I thought you were hurt."

"But your girlfriend is fine now?" Mrs Kim asked. "I think you should bring her here and we'll cook dinner for her. How about this coming Saturday? A way of apologizing for your reckless act and landing her in the hospital."

"Wait you mean meet you guys?" L gulped. Wasn't that what people did when they were going to get married or were really serious in the relationship?

"Oh I can already imagine the whole array of dishes I can cook!" Mrs Kim smiled. "Yeobo, good idea huh?"

Mr Kim just smiled. "Do whatever you want as long as it pleases you."

"And it's settled!" Mrs Kim beamed. "Bring Jaekyung over for dinner this coming Saturday!!"

"Umma it's Chaekyung." L muttered with a sigh. "Drat."







And saturday really found L and Chaekyung back at his house. The more he thought about it, the better the idea sounded.

He had to take responsibility for Chaekyung and this was the best way to show it. He knew it would mean something to her and he figured she deserved it after laying in the hospital for two days.

And Jaekyung. She had been slightly cold and mad at him after the incident and after L decided to bring Chaekyung home, Jaekyung had sent him a smile.

And hell, for that one smile everything was worth it.

And so here was the couple, knocking tentatively at the door. "Umma I'm home!" L called. Chaekyung squeezed his arm from beside him. "L oppa, I'm scared."

"My parents won't bite-"

The door flung open to reveal a very enthusiastic Mrs Kim. "Hello!" she beamed at Chaekyung. "Welcome! My my the first time my son brings a girl home, I'll remember it for life." she ushered Chaekyung in.

L followed behind, muttering under his breath. "You kind of forced me to bring her..."

"You're so pretty, Jaekyung! I'm so proud my son has such a beautiful girlfriend!" Mrs Kim smiled.

Chaekyung blinked. "Omonim, I'm Chaekyung."

"You're Chae-" Mrs Kim looked confused for a moment and she looked back at her son. She quickly righted her expression. "Oh haha. When I heard L telling me about the sisters I naturally assumed it was Jaekyung that was his girlfriend, Aigoo you two have such similar names. Come sit down! Dinner is starting!"

Mrs Kim smiled and made sure Chaekyung sat down before turning to the kitchen. At once, her features marred. "I could swear Jaekyung was his girlfriend." she muttered. "I don't remember the names that well but I thought it was Jaekyung's name that he said with affection." she shook her head, confused.

Mr Kim came down the stairs at this moment and Chaekyung looked positively frightened. "M-Mr Kim." she stuttered.

"Relax. I'm your principal at school but at home, I'm just Myungsoo's dad." he smiled warmly. "Myungsoo, stop standing there like a bamboo stick and sit down."

L darted over and took his place beside Chaekyung. Dinner was served soon after, looking good with a good ten dishes just for the four of them.

"Yeobo, what did I say about wasting food?" Mr Kim asked, amused. Mrs Kim huffed at him. "I was excited okay?" she defended. "If we can't finish the food, Myungsoo can finish them, right dear son?"

L looked at the whole table filled food in alarm. "Uh...."

"So Chaekyung, what co-curriculum activity are you in?" Mrs Kim asked in interest. "Are you in the newsletter department like Myungsoo?"

Chaekyung shook her head and smiled a small cute smile. "That's my unnie. My unnie's in the newsletter department with L oppa. I'm in cheerleading."

"Oh.." Mrs Kim nodded. "Strenuous activity I can never imagine myself doing." she laughed.

Mr Kim chuckled. "If I see anyone throwing you up in the air I'll call the ambulance beforehand, don't worry."

Chaekyung smiled at his parents. She loved how they were still loving at their age and teased each other. Beneath the teasing and jokes were a long lasting love.

"I like how your parents interact, L oppa." she whispered.

L smiled. "Me too." he nodded. And he couldn't help but wonder why he couldn't behave in that usual dorky manner of his with Chaekyung. They were nothing like his parents. He always lapsed into awkward silence and he hated it.

Chaekyung seemed to be thinking the same thing. "Wish we could be like this." she murmured.

-----

Dinner passed and Mr Kim began showing Chaekyung around the house. Being Principal and all, the Kims had a pretty large mansion for the three of them.

The hall was massive, and the dining room was posh. It was elegantly designed but at the same time didn't flaunt the wealth too much.

Mr Kim showed Chaekyung the bedrooms, the guest rooms, L's room (it was impeccably neat unlike hers) and lastly this studio like room with different pieces of art pieces.

"Wow." Chaekyung whispered in awe. "You have a room like this in your home?"

L shrugged. "Appa likes art so he's into collecting." he gestured. Mr Kim received a call from a parent right then and he went away to pick it up, leaving L to explain the room.

Chaekyung gasped at the various artworks. It seemed Principal Kim was an avid art lover and he loved all forms of art as well.

Thee were photographs, sculptures, models, oil paintings, water color drawings and even vases. The whole room had to cost at of money because the works Mr Kim collected were all famous and known.

"Your home is so pretty, L oppa." Chaekyung cooed. "If only I had a room like this. Only I would want a whole workshop with yards and yards of fabric and a sewing machine!"

L looked at her, surprised. "You want to make clothes?"

Chaekyung nodded. "I want to be a fashion Designer when I growl up!" she declared. "It's been my dream for as long as I can remember. It's just like how unnie wants to be a journalist you know, I want to be a fashion designer." she grinned.

"Cool." L grinned and meant it. He wasn't all that surprised that Jaekyung wanted to be a journalist when she grew up but then it all made sense, why she seemed to treat every piece of work with utmost sincerity.

"Hey what's that?" Chaekyung pointed at a grey cement coloured vase.

L grinned and gestured for her to lean nearer towards it. "It's Appa's work." he told her. "He just started learning making pottery and this is his first work."

"Really?" Chaekyung whispered in awe. "Can I touch it?"

"Yeah I guess. It's dried already." L nodded. Chaekyung giggled and poked the vase. It was oddly smooth and cool to the skin.

Feeling bold, she decided to take the entire vase up to inspect it. She heard that artists usually signed their names at the bottom of the vases hence she wanted to see if it was the same case for this particular case.

And hell, it was freaking heavy.

Chaekyung stumbled a little when she lifted it up and L's hands jerked from their positions beside him. He quickly put them down, not wanting to look as if he didn't trust her but at the same time worried.

"Can you manage?" he tried asking.

"I'm fine." Chaekyung nodded. "The vase is really pretty, L oppa. Look the size is just like a baby or something! If I cradle it like this..."

She tilted the vase and held the vase as if she was holding a baby in her arms. L grew completely still, watching carefully for any moment's mistake.

He didn't mean to be mean, but honestly anything could happen. And Chaekyung's mind was often not on the things she was doing as kept going, and he really really feared for his father's first successful vase.

Chaekyung finally had her fun and put it back on the stand. The moment the base touched the stand, L let out a sigh of relief.

Chaekyung grinned and reached out to take his arm. "L oppa, I want to go to your room again. How can your room be so neat?" she blabbered. "It's impossibly neat just like unnie's!"

She turned him to go. And being Lee Chaekyung with exaggerated large actions, her hip knocked into the darn stand.

The vase fell.

It happened in less than a blink of an eye and just when L thought the coast was clear. He stared at the broken pieces, his heart sinking.

Mr and Mrs Kim rushed into the room when they heard the crash and looked around. "What happened?"

A whimper made them snap their eyes at Chaekyung. "Jwesonghabnida Mr and Mrs Kim!" she squeaked. "I accidentally..." she looked down at the vase.

Mr Kim let his eyes trail to where she was looking at and he momentarily stilled. Oh. My. God.

He had spent so much time on this piece of work. He had tried making a good twenty vases before this one actually survived the heating process.

It had this special place in his heart.

But being a principal with a big heart, and especially faced with his student, his son's girlfriend....he couldn't scold her.

She didn't mean to. But.....

Mr Kim swallowed hard. He wanted to say it was alright like the nice guy he was but it was getting difficult, even for his standards.

"I'm really sorry Mr Kim!" Chaekyung started crying. "I didn't mean to! I was really careful but then I just just..." she sobbed uncontrollably.

L didn't know what to do. He blamed himself a little. He kind of knew something like that would happen with her around and he tried keeping an eye on her.

Mr Kim finally forced a smile when his wife touched his arm comfortingly. "It's okay." he muttered. "Myungsoo ah, it's getting late. Better send her home or her mother's going to worry."

"Arraso." L nodded. He pulled Chaekyung out of the studio. "Come on, I'll send you home."

Chaekyung looked back at Mr Kim and couldn't stop the tears. Damn this was her first time in the house as a prospective future Mrs Kim and she ruined everything!

She cried all the way home.

And L didn't even know what to say.


 

-----

Hey my lovely readers!

Yesterday's my 2nd Anniversary on AFF and I wrote you guys a letter. [CLICK]

Thank you so much for your continuous support! :D