Worry

The Dull One

"L o-oppa." Chaekyung gasped as the paramedics carried her up the ambulance. L rushed to her side and clutched her hand. "Yes?"

"Am I g-going to d-die?" She croaked, a tear trickling down her cheek.

L felt so bad right then, flinching real hard. It was his fault, all his.

If he had known she was allergic to nuts... And he should have known. He was her boyfriend for goodness sake of course he should have known!

*Myungsoo you're one failed boyfriend right here.* L mentally thought. He squeezed her hand. "No you're not. You're going to be alright okay?" he whispered. "Stay strong."

She was pushed into the ambulance and L sat right there with her, holding her hand. His phone rang throughout the entire journey, and he didn't need to look to know who it was.

*Im sorry Lee Jaekyung.* he furrowed his brows in worry. *I didn't mean to hurt your sister. . She's so going to kill me.*

They reached Seoul National hospital in record time and the paramedics pushed Chaekyung into the operating room. "She has severe nut allergy, according to her sister." L panted as he told a doctor. "What happens now?"

"Severe?" the doctor frowned. "How old is she? We have to perform an operation on her stomach to clean and empty everything out before her body absorbs anymore of the nuts."

"Operation?" L squeaked. .

"Yes. How old is she? She needs parental consent or at least a guardian of 18 years old." the doctor told him. "They need to sign the operation Consent form and quick. Can you contact any of them to ask them here now?"

L dug for his phone. "Lee Jaekyung. Lee Jaekyung." he mutters under his breath.

"I'm here!"

L spun around in surprise, his finger hadn't even finished dialing her number. "Lee Jaekyung!"

Jaekyung rushed over like a blur of lightning and panted heavily. "I'm Lee Chaekyung's sister. I'm 18. I can sign the consent form."

"Great. Come this way." the doctor led her away to handle the appropriate paper documents. L watched as she went, her hair in a total mess and looking like she had run all the way from wherever she was.

Once the documents had been signed, Chaekyung was pushed into the operating room immediately. Jaekyung collapsed on one of the chairs outside, looking pale and faint.

She was swallowing heavily as she played with her fingers in an I violist nervous manner. L walked over to her tentatively and sat down beside her. "Lee Jaeky-"

"What were you thinking!" Jaekyung burst. She was close to crying as she glared at him, her eyes red and b with tears. "How could you feed her peanuts!"

L flinched. It hurt more now when she has accused him like this, even more than when Chaekyung had asked him if she was going to die.

"I didn't know." L protested weaky. "I brought her out to lunch and we ordered grilled salmon. I didn't know she was allergic to nuts, I really didn't. I wouldn't have ordered it if I knew!"

"How could you not know!" Jaekyung shrieked, a tear finally trickling down her cheek. L gasped inwardly and cursed.

*No no not the tears. Please don't-* he begged silently when another slipped out from her other eye. L cursed again.

She hadn't cried when Kim Junki had been insulting her from head to toe. And now because of this silly accident she was shedding tears.

L didn't know why it pained him so much.

"She can't eat nuts." Jaekyung whispered weakly. "We haven't eaten nuts in our family for ages because of her. We were so careful." she stared at the ground blankly.

Another tear slipped. And another. And another.

L tugged on her arm lightly and she fell against his chest. He tentatively wrapped his arms around her and patted her back. "She's going to be okay." he murmured.

"Really?" Jaekyung squeaked, hiccuping.

L never saw Jaekyung look anymore lost like she did right then. He could tell that she feared this very much. "Yes. I promise okay?" L whispered and combed through her messy locks.

"If something happens to her I'll cut off your head." Jaekyung's voice was muffled against his chest. "I'm not kidding."

"Okay. You can have my head." L murmured. He just held her as se continued sobbing, not realizing how he didn't feel awkward, how he didn't feel uncomfortable, how everything felt right.

And that was how Mr and Mrs Lee found them when the parents rushed there later.

"How's Chaekyung?" Mr Kim panted, his tie in disarray. The doctor chose this moment to come out from the operating room and all four of them rushed over.

"How's Chaekyung?" Mrs Kim repeated her husband's question.

The doctor smiled at them. "She's fine now." he nodded. "We've cleaned her stomach so when she wakes she'll be really hungry. But no eating until at least twelve hours later. As long as you make sure that happens, she's going to be as good as new."

Jaekyung collapsed against L with relief. "Thank God." she whispered.

L grinned at her, obviously relieved as well. "Guess you can't have my head?"

Jaekyung made a face at him. "As if I want yours." she muttered. "Can we go in to see her now?" She asked the doctor urgently.

"Yes. She's drugged unconscious now but she'll wake in another hour." he nodded and strode off.

L watched as Jaekyung was the first one to rush into the room followed by her parents. He stood there, wondering if he should follow them in. He was the one who caused their daughter such misery after all.

Mr Lee poked his head out a few moments later. "Why aren't you coming in?"

L blinked hesitantly. "I uh..."

"You didn't know." Mr Lee smiled softy. "You brought her here immediately. She's alright now and that's all that matters. So come in."

And L went.







"She's fine now. You don't need to look like your sister's been kidnapped by zombies or something." L whispered to Jaekyung.

She shot him a look.

Chaekyung had woken up an hour ago and the parents and Jaekyung fussed over her, glad that she was alright. L had apologized profusely for his lack of awareness and Chaekyung had forgiven him. After all, it wasn't so much if he didn't know.

He looked at Jaekyung who was smiling adoringly at her sister, with that sentimental look in her eyes that seemed to hint as if she was looking at Chaekyung while she could, before something happened.

Jaekyung was a pessimistic person and it was particularly obvious with this incident. She seemed to think the worse of all results and scared herself silly down with the thoughts.

L didn't like how she looked. He caught her bottom lip wobbling once in a while and she would direct attention away from herself as she wiped a tear away.

She needed to get out of that room.

"Lee Jaekyung, come buy drinks with me." L tugged her arm. "Your parents must be thirsty."

"Yeah we are, Jaekyung. We would love coffee." Mrs Lee smiled.

"Arraso umma." she followed L out of the ward. L walked towards the nearest vending machine that sold a variety of coffee types and he jingled the coins in his hand. "What type of coffee do your parents drink, Jaekyung?"

When he didn't get a response, he looked around. She wasn't there.

Frowning, L went back the way he came from and saw Jaekyung limping over slowly, wincing with every step. "I know you have longer legs than mine but you don't need to flaunt them!" she huffed when she saw him.

L ignored her statement and frowned at her legs. He pulled her to the nearest bench and made her sit down. "What's wrong with your leg?"

"Nothing big." Jaekyung shrugged. "I fell when I was running here. Just a small scrap."

It was then that L noticed her black skirt had this patch of darker maroon where the blood had clotted. And from what he saw from the outside, that was a whole lot of blood right there.

"!" L winced. "Wait here." he sprang off the bench and ran off. "Hey!" Jaekyung blinked in surprise but he already disappeared around the corner.

He returned really quickly with a first aid kit in his hands and plopped himself down beside her. "That was...fast." Jaekyung didn't know what to say that wouldn't give away what she was feeling.

In all honesty, she was touched.

"Lift your skirt." L commanded. When Jaekyung sent him a scandalized look and only lifted her skirt to her ankles, L rolled his eyes and pulled her leg on top of his and pushed the cloth up to her knees.

"Not like there's anything to see..." he started to tease but faltered when his eyes set themselves upon her knee. "!" he unconsciously cursed. "You should have treated this the moment you came to the hospital, Lee Jaekyung! It looks horrifying."

He glanced at her face and saw her looking pale. "Oh. My. God." she whispered at the blood that had trickled down her calf and dried.

"You look like you're looking at this for the first time." L commented, reaching for a cotton wool.

"It is." Jaekyung admitted. "I actually didn't know I was bleeding until I followed you out of the ward to get coffee."

L snapped his head up in shock and couldn't resist the urge to push her forehead. "Are you an idiot?" he scolded. "How could you not know!"

"I was worried about Chae, okay!" Jaekyung defended. "I don't want to see her hurt again. I'll kill myself." she muttered.

L shook his head and wiped the dried up blood away. He gulped at the large gash at her knee. "You're so going to get a scar, Lee Jaekyung." he muttered, pouring antiseptic onto another piece of cotton wool.

"I don't care about scars." Jaekyung eyed the antiseptic. "I care about that white fluffy torture device you're about to put against my wound."

"It's not going to hurt I promise." L told her. He lowered his hand towards her wound and heard her take a sharp intake of breath.

"Maybe a little." L swallowed.

"Just hurry up!" Jaekyung squeezed her eyes shut. He glanced at her, amused. She looked hilarious, but more than that was cute.

He didn't realize what he had thought and pressed down gently at the side of the wound. He moved slowly to the centre, letting her get use to the pain.

"Ow ow owwww..." she finally whimpered when he reached the centre.

"Pain huh?" L muttered distractedly as he changed another cotton wool. "Serves you right for not taking care of your body."

He finished cleaning it up and chose a pink plaster, securing the cotton wool in place.

"There." he grinned at his handiwork. "Not bad, I must say."

Jaekyung made a face and tried bending her knee. It freeeeeaking hurt. It was a wonder how she didn't realize it was there before.

"I still can't believe you didn't know you were bleeding." L muttered as he discarded the bloodied cotton. "Don't you have a tinsy bit sense of self preservation?"

Jaekyung glared at him. "I do okay? Except when I'm faced with things that happen to Chae."

She sighed and stared at the ground with a faraway look. "I would give my life up for Chae. She means more to me than my life, and I can't let her get hurt."

She stared at the tiles silently for a few moments until she finally blinked back into reality. She found L studying her curiously, seriously.

"What?" Jaekyung reddened, clearing .

L grinned. "I bet you there it was a sentimental moment I just witnessed by Lee Jaekyung." he bumped shoulders with her.

"No it wasn't!" Jaekyung reddened even more and punched his arm. "Jerk! Go get the coffee! I'm injured and tired!"

L laughed and ran off. He couldn't help but feel the love Jaekyung felt for Chaekyung was a little too deep.

She didn't even think about herself when compared to her sister.

It was strange, unseen before. He never thought someone could disregard themselves to that extent but he saw it in her.

"Lee Jaekyung," he murmured. "You're one confusing girl."